GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 23:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     06:00 PM PST

     07:00 PM PST

    Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
P
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done!!
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 1123
Location: India
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 08:23
1
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:20) correct 51% (02:29) wrong based on 576 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92 percent of its capacity filled by students. During this time the system admitted 31 students each year for every 100 available spots in the system; the remaining 61 spots were filled by upperclassmen. From 1967 to 1975, the State University system filled 99 percent of its capacity with students; however the system also lowered its admission rate to 23 students for every 100 available spots each year.

If the statements above are true, which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn?

A. As a university system's admission rate falls, it is generally true that the percent of capacity filled increases.

B. The number of available spots in the State University system declined between the two time periods.

C. The proportion of young people applying to college increased between the two time periods.

D. The number of people dropping out before finishing their degrees declined between the two periods.

E. The average length of time that a student stayed in the State University system increased between the two time periods.


OE- After discussion :)

_________________

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2012
Posts: 50
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Re: Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 09:08
1
It was B vs E when i read it first for reasons below:

B: Could be true but "could" is not a reason strong enough for a conclusion drawing question .

E: Since the argument in question clearly says that from 1967 to 1975- admission was lowered yet the capacity was full- it means that the students from previous yrs stayed longer.
It's as good as saying that a class could have 10 students. It lowered its admission rate to 3 students per annum yet its capacity was full. Implies that old students stayed longer. :idea:

E it is!
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 68
Re: Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 19:11
1
surbhi87 wrote:
It was B vs E when i read it first for reasons below:

B: Could be true but "could" is not a reason strong enough for a conclusion drawing question .

E: Since the argument in question clearly says that from 1967 to 1975- admission was lowered yet the capacity was full- it means that the students from previous yrs stayed longer.
It's as good as saying that a class could have 10 students. It lowered its admission rate to 3 students per annum yet its capacity was full. Implies that old students stayed longer. :idea:

E it is!


B is a tempting answer since the school is running at 99% capacity in the second period vs 92% capacity in the first period, but notice that the term "available spots" refers to the constant of 100 total spots. So, that value remains unchanged.
_________________

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmat
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 40
Re: Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jan 2014, 03:11
Gnpth wrote:
Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92 percent of its capacity filled by students. During this time the system admitted 31 students each year for every 100 available spots in the system; the remaining 61 spots were filled by upperclassmen. From 1967 to 1975, the State University system filled 99 percent of its capacity with students; however the system also lowered its admission rate to 23 students for every 100 available spots each year.

If the statements above are true, which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn?

A. As a university system's admission rate falls, it is generally true that the percent of capacity filled increases.

B. The number of available spots in the State University system declined between the two time periods.

C. The proportion of young people applying to college increased between the two time periods.

D. The number of people dropping out before finishing their degrees declined between the two periods.

E. The average length of time that a student stayed in the State University system increased between the two time periods.


OE- After discussion :)




it took me 3:46 to understand and answer this. though wrong. got stuck between D and E.
tried to figure out the reason after checking the answer. correct me if im wrong

Admission percentage came down from 31/100 (which formed 92 percent) to 23/100 (99 percentage)

So this brings us to a conclusion that there is some other factor that is causing students to stay to bring the percentage up despite only a few students being admitted.


Now lets take a look at answers.


A. As a university system's admission rate falls, it is generally true that the percent of capacity filled increases.
You cannot generalize baced on one occurance. ruled out .

B. The number of available spots in the State University system declined between the two time periods.
No even this cannot be true as we have information only about the PERCENTAGE drop not about an absolute number

C. The proportion of young people applying to college increased between the two time periods.
Same as B. Cannot comment as we dont have an absolute number basing on which we can comment

D. The number of people dropping out before finishing their degrees declined between the two periods.

E. The average length of time that a student stayed in the State University system increased between the two time periods.

Now between D and E. as the reasoning i have put out these two options point out to a factor which is causing his anomaly to occur.
However i cant move beyond these two options to point out the right one.


Request the experts here to answer.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you learnt anything from my post, Press KUDOS
After all, KUDOS is a great way to encourage the complete community. :-D

Originally posted by aditya111 on 24 Jan 2014, 02:28.
Last edited by aditya111 on 24 Jan 2014, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Re: Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2014, 02:59
Pls change the color to make it readable......................
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Re: Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2014, 03:13
1
Hi aditya111

I think if the drop out rate is higher then it wont have mentioned the "remaining 61 spots were filled by upperclassmen"(a junior or senior in high school or college).
Those mates stay longer to bring the overall % up.

Rgds
Prasannajeet

(Kudos only if you find it helpful)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Concentration: Healthcare
GPA: 3.01
Re: Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2018, 05:24
1
prasannajeet wrote:
Hi aditya111

I think if the drop out rate is higher then it wont have mentioned the "remaining 61 spots were filled by upperclassmen"(a junior or senior in high school or college).
Those mates stay longer to bring the overall % up.

Rgds
Prasannajeet

(Kudos only if you find it helpful)


I have the same confusion as aditya111 has. Can you please elaborate you reasoning? I do not understand.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92 &nbs [#permalink] 19 Feb 2018, 05:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Between 1960 and 1966, the State University system had 92

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.