It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Between 1975 and 1985, nursing-home occupancy rates averaged

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 33

Between 1975 and 1985, nursing-home occupancy rates averaged [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 11:56
I doubted between A and C.

I discarded C because of this unclear sentence: "Between 1975 and 1985, nursing-home occupancy
rates averaged 87 percent of capacity, while admission rates remained constant, at an average of
95 admissions per 1,000 beds per year."

However, I agree with some of the observations about this option made above.

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 33

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1359

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Between 1975 and 1985, nursing-home occupancy rates averaged [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 14:04
this is a common pattern in gmat, the inference is that after a period, the length of objects increase.
an another example is the jail and prisoners.

also, test takers should not spend too much time on reading the question. I still have struggles with reading the question.

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 14:05
EBITDA wrote:
I doubted between A and C.

I discarded C because of this unclear sentence: "Between 1975 and 1985, nursing-home occupancy
rates averaged 87 percent of capacity, while admission rates remained constant, at an average of
95 admissions per 1,000 beds per year."

However, I agree with some of the observations about this option made above.

C is incorrect because there is no causal relation between the increase and the drop.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 17:50
I was a little confused but I think I can see where I was wrong.

I broke it down to:
Premise 1: from 1987-1985, occupancy was 85%, admission rates were 95/1000 beds
Premise 2: from 1985-1988, occupancy was 92%, admission rates were 81/1000 beds

So it appears there's a discrepancy but first and foremost the focus (since it's an inference type question) is to look for what we can conclude from this statement.

(A) states that between 1985 and 1988, people stayed longer in nursing homes. This one made a bit of sense but I wasn't too sure yet so I moved on to the next one.
(B) While this one seems tempting the biggest issue is that it brings up older people living in nursing homes, which we can't assume from the statements; the only figures presented were about occupancy and admission rates.
(C) it's too broad of a generalization. We can't say this is always true.
(D) even if the number of beds increased, the facts we were given were rates, not a headcount of admission. An increase in the number of beds alone has no bearing upon the rates of admission
(E) This seems like a reverse of answer choice C, and it is tempting. However there is nothing that describes an increase in the number of beds in the question. Had there been a description of an increase, this one may have been the answer.

By eliminating the remaining answers, it looks like A is the best one. On the other hand, PoE is a pretty slow strategy when pressed for time so... maybe there's a better explanation as to why A is the best answer?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 22:08
the pattern in this question is that over a period of time, one thing is higher while the other thing is lower. What is the inference?
Clearly, the question deals with the evidences, not premises.
Only A is correct.

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 22:09
David H wrote:
I was a little confused but I think I can see where I was wrong.

I broke it down to:
Premise 1: from 1987-1985, occupancy was 85%, admission rates were 95/1000 beds
Premise 2: from 1985-1988, occupancy was 92%, admission rates were 81/1000 beds

So it appears there's a discrepancy but first and foremost the focus (since it's an inference type question) is to look for what we can conclude from this statement.

(A) states that between 1985 and 1988, people stayed longer in nursing homes. This one made a bit of sense but I wasn't too sure yet so I moved on to the next one.
(B) While this one seems tempting the biggest issue is that it brings up older people living in nursing homes, which we can't assume from the statements; the only figures presented were about occupancy and admission rates.
(C) it's too broad of a generalization. We can't say this is always true.
(D) even if the number of beds increased, the facts we were given were rates, not a headcount of admission. An increase in the number of beds alone has no bearing upon the rates of admission
(E) This seems like a reverse of answer choice C, and it is tempting. However there is nothing that describes an increase in the number of beds in the question. Had there been a description of an increase, this one may have been the answer.

By eliminating the remaining answers, it looks like A is the best one. On the other hand, PoE is a pretty slow strategy when pressed for time so... maybe there's a better explanation as to why A is the best answer?

A directly links with the passage.

Re: Between 1975 and 1985, nursing-home occupancy rates averaged   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2017, 22:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Between 1975 and 1985, nursing-home occupancy rates averaged

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap