Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Strengthenx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6426 [361]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [146]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [17]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands declined precipitously. There were no signs of disease or malnutrition, so there was probably an increase in the number of otters being eaten by predators. Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable, and the Aleutian Islands seal population declined dramatically in the 1980s. Therefore, orcas were most likely the immediate cause of the otter population decline.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument‘?

(A) The population of sea urchins, the main food of sea otters, has increased since the sea otter population declined.

(B) Seals do not eat sea otters, nor do they compete with sea otters for food.

(C) Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.

(D) The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s.

(E) An increase in commercial fishing near the Aleutian Islands in the 1980s caused a slight decline in the population of the fish that seals use for food.

Let’s look at the stimulus-

Premises- Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands declined steeply.
There were no signs of disease or malnutrition, so there was probably an increase in the number of otters being eaten by predators.
Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable, and the Aleutian Islands seal population declined dramatically in the 1980s.

Conclusion- Therefore, orcas were most likely the immediate cause of the otter population decline.

(A) The population of sea urchins, the main food of sea otters, has increased since the sea otter population declined.
We have to strengthen the conclusion that orcas were the cause of sea otter population decline. Option A talks about the population of sea urchins. Irrelevant. Eliminate.

(B) Seals do not eat sea otters, nor do they compete with sea otters for food.
What seals eat is not relevant to the argument. Eliminate.

(C) Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.
Correct. Option C says that most of the surviving otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas. This is probably the reason why otters are still surviving there. C strengthens the conclusion that otters were most likely the immediate cause of the otter population decline.

(D) The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s.
Weakens the argument. If orcas were responsible for the decline in the population of sea otters, a decline in the population of orcas should have led to an increase in the population of sea otters. Eliminate.

(E) An increase in commercial fishing near the Aleutian Islands in the 1980s caused a slight decline in the population of the fish that seals use for food.
What seals used for food is irrelevant to the argument. Eliminate.

VP
GMAT Verbal SME
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [8]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
vikasbansal227 wrote:
Hello Ashish,

Whats your take on C?

Vikas

Hello Vikas,

I can try to give a reasonable explanation, though I am not too good at it :lol:

The argument says that the otter population has declined. It also says that malnutrition and disease were not the reasons, so we rule these causes out.
The argument later says that maybe orcas were responsible for this decline in otter population by providing evidence that Orcas did so because of an acute shortage of seals, the primary food of orcas.

The conclusion states that probably orcas were the sole reason for decline in otter population.

Since we have to strengthen this conclusion, we have to somehow prove that orcas are the real culprits and not something or someone else.

As per statement C, Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.
If otters are surviving in the bay, then this rules out any other possibility for the cause of decline in otter population.
Now what strengthens this argument is the fact that this bay is inaccessible to orcas and this prevents them from hunting the otters, therefore the remaining otters survive in the bay. All the other otters who were accessible to the orcas were hunted down and this is the reason for the decline in otter population.

Hope I have managed to be convincing in my reasoning. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
raj44 wrote:
why is choice A wrong? you would expect sea urchins, main food of otters, to increase implying that this increase is due to decrease in otters population..

We need to strengthen the argument i.e. strengthen the conclusion.
The conclusion is that Orcas are probably the reason for decline in otter population.

It may be true that a decline in otter population (Cause) is the reason for abundant growth of Urchins (Effect)
but you cannot validate the reverse reasoning that since there is an abundant growth of urchins it is solely because of decline in otter population. There maybe other reasons for increase in urchin growth + the extra knowledge of sea urchins doesn't show how orcas are responsible for decline in otter population.

Orcas hunt Otters-------------> Decline in otter population -------------> Increase in sea urchin population .................... (May be true but there is nothing to validate this)

There should be some more evidence provided in option A to prove the reverse reasoning true.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [5]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands declined precipitously. There were no signs of disease or malnutrition, so there was probably an increase in the number of otters being eaten by predators. Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable, and the Aleutian Islands seal population declined dramatically in the 1980s. Therefore, orcas were most likely the immediate cause of the otter population decline.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A) The population of sea urchins, the main food of sea otters, has increased since the sea otter population declined.
WRONG:- Irrelevant:- Of course the population of sea urchin will increase, if there is no otter to eat them. But this is not strengthening. This is just an implication.

B) Seals do not eat sea otters, nor do they compete with sea otters for food.
HOLD IT -So, Seals did not killed otters. OK !! But this is not directly strengthening that Orca's (which are whales by the way !) killed otter. LET IT GO !! WRONG

C) Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.
RIGHT:- Only those otters survived that lived in area accessible to orcas. Therefore Orcas must be definitely responsible for killing otters.

D) The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s.
WRONG:- Irrelevant :- Useless information

E) An increase in commercial fishing near the Aleutian Islands in the 1980s caused a slight decline in the population of the fish that seals use for food.
WRONG:- The food decreased slightly. BUT otter died in large numbers. (FROM ARGUMENT:-the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands declined precipitously) so lack of food cannot be the reason. (FROM ARGUMENT:-There was no signs of malnutrition). Meaning lack of food was not the cause.

C IS THE ANSWER

NickHalden wrote:

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A The population of sea urchins, the main food of sea otters, has increased since the sea otter population declined.
B Seals do not eat sea otters, nor do they compete with sea otters for food.
C Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.
D The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s.
E An increase in commercial fishing near the Aleutian Islands in the 1980s caused a slight decline in the population of the fish that seals use for food.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
vikasbansal227 wrote:
Hello,

B is incorrect here. It is stated in argument itself the both seals and otters were on decline. So, possibility stated under B ruled out.

Interestingly OA quoted in OG is C, which is debatable.

C could be true in my opinion if the word "inaccessible" is actually replaced by "accessible".

From the rest of the choices E looks attractive as it provides "Additional evidence for decline in seal population" and hence addional support to the agrument that seal population is on decline and hence Orcas will further predate more otters

Whats your take on this?

Vikas

E cannot be the answer simply because we are told that Orcas are "probably" the reason for decline in otter population.

Even if there had been a slight decline in fish population, it is not sufficient to show how it affected the seal population to such an extent that seal population was greatly reduced and that this caused orcas to hunt otters. There are several assumptions to be made to prove this hypothesis right.

Guess it clears some doubts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Kudos
In option B:
I think option B makes more sense because if the seals did eat the otters then the argument that orcas were the reason for the decline of the otters does not hold true.
The seals could also have been responsible for the decline of the otter population.
(They have mentioned that the seal population declined dramatically, so there were still a few seals left)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
wizardofcoconuts wrote:
In option B:
I think option B makes more sense because if the seals did eat the otters then the argument that orcas were the reason for the decline of the otters does not hold true.
The seals could also have been responsible for the decline of the otter population.
(They have mentioned that the seal population declined dramatically, so there were still a few seals left)

I thought in the same lines initially.Either it should be B or C. i opted for B. We both missed a logic. Say If Seals eat otters. From the argument we know that seal population decreased. So we have to see an increase in otter population, Assuming that Orcas don't eat extra. But we haven't seen any increase in otter population. So this option B is wrong. That leaves us with option C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument‘?

A The population of sea urchins, the main food of sea otters, has increased since the sea otter population declined.

B. Seals do not eat sea otters, nor do they compete with sea otters for food.

C. Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.

D. The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s.

E An increase in commercial fishing near the Aleutian Islands in the 1980s caused a slight decline in the population of the fish that seals use for food.

Premises 1--Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands declined precipitously.
premises 2 --There were no signs of disease or malnutrition, so there was probably an increase in the number of otters being eaten by predators.
premises 3-- Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable, and the Aleutian Islands seal population declined dramatically in the 1980s.

conclusion---- Therefore, orcas were most likely the immediate cause of the otter population decline.

Otter 's main food is sea urchins
orcas normal prey is seal
seal prey is fish

It says main food of the sea otters is sea urchins has increased because sea otters population declined . Now as per premises 3 Orcas will eat otters when seals are UNAVAILABLE ----UNAVAILABLE means not available completely that is not the case here because as per 2nd statement of the premise 3 says that seal population declined dramatically not UNAVAILABLE . It means that though orcas food may decrease but still available that means may or may be orcas attacked Otters .

B. Seals do not eat sea otters, nor do they compete with sea otters for food.

irrelevant

C. Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.

This strengthen the statement because most sea otters survive because orcas was not able to reach sea otters. hence those sea otters couldn't survive was those preyed by orcas

D. The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s.

irrelevant

Fishing does slight decline of the fish that is the prey of seal . It means seal is available for prey to Orcas. as per premise 3 Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable, , which is not the case here .
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31918 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Trainwithnolov3 wrote:
Can someone please explain Answer choice C?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,
I'll help you with that..

lets rephrase the para..

1. in some period of 20 years, the number of 'sea otters' declined drastically.
2. No disease or food shortage was not there and hence has not been attributed to the decline.
3. Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable,
4. starting of this period was the time when seals population declined.
5. from 4 above ,we can say that Orcas ate otters

now from choices, we have to look for a strengthener..
lets see the answer C..
Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas..
this tells us that the only ones which are surviving are in a bay , where the Orcas are unable to reach..
so it strengthens the conlclusion that indeed Orcas fed on the otters which were in accessible areas..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [3]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
ss18 wrote:
I was confused between B and C.
I chose B. My reasoning was that B gets rid of another reason why it should have ONLY been orcas that were responsible.
I let go of C because there could be another reason why surviving otters are in an inaccessible place. Basically, I couldn't find a strong relation here for strengthening. it seemed mildly strengthening. Please help.

Hello,

IMHO (B) doesn't help get rid of alternative reason(s) for decline of sea otters population, because 2 situations "Seals DO eat sea otters" and "seals DO compete with sea otters for food" cannot be the reason why sea otters population is reduced. Why? Let's look back at stimulus. It is mentioned that "seal population declined dramatically", so if seals actually eat and compete with sea otters for food, then the decrease in seals number will result in increase in sea otter number. This totally contrasts with premise.
That's why (B) is not correct.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos