GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2020, 10:24
PRONOUNS AND CORRELATIVES

Here's my explanation of this legendary exercise.

Best,

Rod

GMAT Motivation: "The GMAT never sleeps. She waits in bed for you, one eye open. And if you are not careful, one day you wake up and she's gone."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2020, 06:17
gamjatang wrote:
Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

(A) Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

(B) Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(C) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

(D) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(E) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
In option B
B) Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began
Does the use of comma before a preposition is common or wrong ?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 23:59
gamjatang wrote:
Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

(A) Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

(B) Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(C) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

(D) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(E) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

We usually do not use a comma before prepositions. In option (B), we have a relative clause beginning with a preposition. Though the clause is essential so you will still not use a comma.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 20:15
mikemcgarry wrote:
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, one big hint in this problem --- the word "grow" appears as a verb only in (A), and appears as the noun "growth" in the other four answers. That's not definitive, in and of itself, but it's a HUGE hint. The GMAT loves this kind of split, the same root word as noun/verb/adjective ---- over 95% of the time, the verb form will be correct. The reason is --- putting action as a verb tends to make the sentence more concise, more direct, and more powerful. Putting the action in noun or adjective form almost always makes things more indirect and wordy. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/active-verbs-on-the-gmat/

Version (A) is perfectly correct grammatically, as well as direct & clear & powerful.

(B) is wordy, flabby, indirect.
(C) & (D) have the illogical present tense. The period 1950-2000 was a lovely time, but it ended 13 years ago, so using a present tense for this is incorrect.
(E) is also wordy & flabby, and I don't think the phrase "exceeded what it did" makes any sense at all. Does a world economy "do" its size, or do we say it simply "is" a size? The world economy is $XXX hundred billion. It would be totally illogical to use "does" instead of "is".

That's why (A) is the best. Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi, may I know why choice C and D are illogical to use the present tense? While it is true that the growth of economy was in the past, it is still true today that the growth from 1990-2000 is more than pre-1950 time? Since it still holds true, and will never become false, should it not use the present tense? I think I am mixing things up here
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2020, 09:34
Hi GMATNinja, Abhi077, generis.

In answer choice A,
Before the proposition "from" we don't require a comma, because it is not a modifier just a preposition.

But, prepositional phrases act as modifiers ?
Is there a difference between Prepositions and prepositional phrases ?

I eliminated option A for lack of a comma before 'from'.

Please help.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2020, 22:31
The reason i picked B over A is the last few words in A 'from the beginning of agriculture'. Is this grammatically correct as from the beginning of something should denote a time period, e.g. from the 70s. Please explain
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2020, 03:14
shreyasharma1206 wrote:
The reason i picked B over A is the last few words in A 'from the beginning of agriculture'. Is this grammatically correct as from the beginning of something should denote a time period, e.g. from the 70s. Please explain

Hi Shreya, the notion of time is implied here; basically it suggests from (the time of) the beginning of agriculture.

This is quite a common construct in GMAT, and it might be a good idea to get comfortable with this.

Another similar example:

The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early experiments in his "Essay on Heat and Light", a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.
EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2020, 03:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics