Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Between the eighth and eleventh centuries A. D., the Byzantine Empire [#permalink]
A. Statement ‘a’ is somewhat similar to statement ‘e’ but the statement ‘a’ depicts the military, economic and cultural revival of Byzantine Empire unique which is never mentioned by the author in the passage. The author mentions in the last few lines of the passage that the commonly expected order of military revival followed by economic and then by cultural recovery was reversed in Byzantium but uniqueness is nowhere mentioned in the passage. Hence, a could not be the answer.
B. It is not mentioned in the passage that Rome under Augustus had the same pattern of military, economic and cultural revival as that of Byzantine Empire. The only thing mentioned in the passage about Rome under Augustus is that the military, economic and cultural revival of the empire went together or these were differentiated aspects of a single phenomenon.
C.Cultural expansion in Byzantine Empire started way before military and economic revival. Hence, statement ‘c’ is wrong.
D.The revival of Byzantine Empire is comprehensively discussed in the passage and it is clearly mentioned that economic and military expansion followed the cultural expansion in the state.
E.Statement ‘e’ best captures the central idea of the passage as things are rightly mentioned in this statement. Hence, ‘e’ is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Re: Between the eighth and eleventh centuries A. D., the Byzantine Empire [#permalink]
workout

Q7 ) C vs D
i thought the common explanation was given to generalize the model. But certainly, it was not the case and the reverse occurred as mentioned in the 3rd paragraph.

Is Q7) asking the role of "the common explanation" ??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Hi,
I have one doubt in Q6
Line 48 says it begar even early than 810. Now we don't know how early. So how can we choose it over E which can be inferred from line 13 as well as 52.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Can you please explain the correct choices in q- 3 nd q-6 ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Said '22
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
Send PM
What is the level of this passage? under 600, 600-650 or 650+?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
esha12012000 wrote:
Can you please explain the correct choices in q- 3 nd q-6 ?

Both of these questions have been discussed thoroughly by our GMAT expert GMAT Ninja, Follow the link below.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/between-the- ... l#p2540424

Good Luck
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
anoop12113 wrote:
What is the level of this passage? under 600, 600-650 or 650+?

The difficulty levels are as follow:

Question #1: 650
Question #2: 600
Question #3: 700
Question #4: 650
Question #5: 650
Question #6: 650
Question #7: 650

Overall: 650
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Hi experts,

For Q 5. in the third paragraph, the author most probably provides an explanation of the apparent connections among economic, military, and cultural development in order to.

The correct answer is choice B, set up an order of events that is then shown to be not generally applicable to the case of byzantium.

The third para does gives and order of events but that order is applicable to Byzantium. The order mentioned in second para is not applicable.

Also for q 7. according to the author, "the common explanation" (line 28) of connections between economic, military, and cultural development is..

I am unable to understand why choice C is correct.

Kindly help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Questions 5 & 7

rocky620 wrote:
Hi experts,

For Q 5. in the third paragraph, the author most probably provides an explanation of the apparent connections among economic, military, and cultural development in order to.

The correct answer is choice B, set up an order of events that is then shown to be not generally applicable to the case of byzantium.

The third para does gives and order of events but that order is applicable to Byzantium. The order mentioned in second para is not applicable.

It appears that there is an error in the way that the passage was initially posted and the third paragraph should have started with “The common explanation....” We've updated the initial post to include the right number of paragraphs.

Now, the third paragraph describes the typical order of events: first military revival, then economic revival, and finally cultural revival.

However, the author goes on, in the final paragraph, to indicate that this order was reversed in the case of Byzantium. Here, cultural revival was followed by economic revival and finally military revival.

So (B) is the correct answer for question 5.

rocky620 wrote:
Also for q 7. according to the author, "the common explanation" (line 28) of connections between economic, military, and cultural development is..

I am unable to understand why choice C is correct.

Kindly help.

For question 7, let’s take a closer look at (C):

Quote:
(C) not applicable to the byzantine revival as a whole, but does perhaps accurately describe limited periods during the revival

After describing “the common explanation” at the end of the second paragraph, the author goes on to say this at the beginning of the third paragraph:

No doubt this hypothetical pattern did apply at times during the course of the recovery. Yet it is not clear that military advances invariably came first, economic advances second, and intellectual advances third.

So, while “the common explanation” does appear to apply at times, it does not apply to the entirety of the revival. This is exactly what (C) says, so (C) is the correct answer for question 7.

I hope that helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
GMATNinja
Hi Sir, thanks for the explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Between the eighth and eleventh centuries A. D., the Byzantine Empire [#permalink]
Isnt E the correct answer to question 1? When I select E, the question tells me that C is correct rather.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
guptanaitik88 wrote:
Isnt E the correct answer to question 1? When I select E, the question tells me that C is correct rather.

Welcome to GMAT Club!

Yes! E is the OA to question #1, It is showing the same. Please try it again and let me (a screenshot) know if it still shows C as the answer.

Thank you
School Moderator - INSEAD Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 193
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
GMATNinja if you can explain answer for Q2 and Q7.

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3516
Schools: Ross '24 (M)
Send PM
Between the eighth and eleventh centuries A. D., the Byzantine Empire [#permalink]
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma egmat MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasPrepBrian ChrisLele GMATGuruNY KyleWiddison CrackVerbalGMAT DmitryFarber VeritasPrepHailey

Could you please help explain what's the difference between choice A and E in the question 1?
I understand how choice E is right, but I don't understand how A is wrong. Is there any subtle meaning in the choice A?

Also, I would like your explanation for choice B in the question 4 as well.
Since I refer to this part of the passage "By the early eighth century, the empire had lost roughly two-thirds of the territory it had possessed in the year 600". Since it's said that Byzantine had lost two-thirds of its territory by the early eighth century, how could we infer that byzantine empire sustained significant territorial losses during the seventh century?

Again, thanks for all your dedication to answer my questions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krittapat wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma egmat MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasPrepBrian ChrisLele GMATGuruNY KyleWiddison CrackVerbalGMAT DmitryFarber VeritasPrepHailey

Could you please help explain what's the difference between choice A and E in the question 1?
I understand how choice E is right, but I don't understand how A is wrong. Is there any subtle meaning in the choice A?

Also, I would like your explanation for choice B in the question 4 as well.
Since I refer to this part of the passage "By the early eighth century, the empire had lost roughly two-thirds of the territory it had possessed in the year 600". Since it's said that Byzantine had lost two-thirds of its territory by the early eighth century, how could we infer that byzantine empire sustained significant territorial losses during the seventh century?

Again, thanks for all your dedication to answer my questions.

Question 1

Take a look at the exact wording of (A) for Question 1:
Quote:
A. [The central idea of the passage is that] the byzantine empire was a unique case in which the usual order of military and economic revival preceding cultural revival was reversed.

The key word here is "unique," which means "the only one of its kind."

The author states that "the commonly expected order of military revival followed by economic and then by cultural recovery was reversed in Byzantium." But do we know that this reversal a completely unique case?

Nope, there's simply no evidence that this reversal ONLY occurred in Byzantium, and has not occurred in any other time or place throughout history. Eliminate (A).

(E) uses softer language that is a much better fit for the central idea of the passage:
Quote:
(e) the revival of the byzantine empire between the eighth and eleventh centuries shows cultural rebirth preceding economic and military revival, the reverse of the commonly accepted order of progress.

(E) is the correct answer to question 1.

Question 4

Quote:
4. it can be inferred from the passage that the byzantine empire sustained significant territorial losses...

You've found a relevant piece of the passage -- if the empire had a bunch of territory in the year 600, and then lost 2/3 of that territory by "the early eighth century," then when did that loss actually occur? It's reasonable to infer that the empire lost territory during the seventh century.

A confusing aspect of English is that the "seventh century" actually refers to the years of 601 to 700 AD.

So the timeline goes something like this:

• Year 600: The Byzantine Empire has a lot of territory
  • Year 601-700 (seventh century): The Byzantine Empire loses a lot of that territory
  • By the EARLY 700's (early 8th century): The Byzantine Empire has lost a lot of that territory
  • During the 800's (9th century): The Byzantine Empire goes through a revival, starting with cultural factors, then economic factors, and then military victories.

(B) is the correct answer to question 4.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts