Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [141]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [133]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [38]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [2]
Send PM
Re: Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of [#permalink]
Kudos
ugimba wrote:
177. Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.
(A) lower than in
(B) lower than that of
(C) and lower than that of
(D) which is lower than in
(E) which is lower than it is in

why D is wrong here? please explain

It is B (OA), Which cannot be used here, which will allways follows what it refers to (here which does not refer to income of $111).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 07-04-2012
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of [#permalink]
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.
(A) lower than in
You would only compare two prepositional phrases when you are comparing something to itself.

Correct: Sue reads more at night than in the day. (The sentence compares the two time periods.)

Incorrect: Sue reads more than at night. (There is a second time period but no first time period to complete the comparison.)

In A, there is no first prepositional phrase to complete the comparison ending with "...than in the most impoverished countries..."

(B) lower than that of
A tip regarding comparisons!

To compare something to itself, use "it" or "they".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than they were yesterday.

To compare one thing to another, use "that" or "those".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than those of chair B.

Thus, in the problem above, we want to compare one per-capita income to another. Any time you want to compare one thing to another you must use 'that'/'those'.

Tip: [,and] connects two independent clauses!

Ex. I eat steak [,and] my brother eats fish.

There is no full subject+verb after the 'and' in C.

Same problem as A.

See B.

Will it be fine if we write the sentence in the following way :-

Annual per capita income income of Bihar,which is India's poorest state , is lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [8]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
arunmehta89 wrote:
Will it be fine if we write the sentence in the following way :-

Annual per capita income income of Bihar,which is India's poorest state , is lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.

Hi there,
Annual per capita income of Bihar, which is India's poorest state, is lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.

I’m afraid this sentence is not correct. It has the same error as in the original sentence. The comparison is not clear here. This sentence fails to convey what we are comparing the annual per capita income of Bihar with. After “lower than” we have “in the most impoverished countries” but what in these impoverished countries are we comparing the per capita income of Bihar with? This is not mentioned in the sentence.

The correct version of the sentence will be:

Annual per capita income of Bihar, which is India's poorest state, is lower than that of the most impoverished countries of the world.

We can also write the sentence by replacing “that of” with the “annual per capita income”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [2]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
ugimba wrote:
Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.

(A) lower than in
(B) lower than that of

why D is wrong here? please explain

look at choice A. understanding why choice A is wrong is basic point inhere.

choice A means
annual per capital income of 111, lower that this capital income in the most impoverished countries.
so, it is not logic

a pattern similar to that of choice A but correct is

the capital income is higher in vietnam than in any other countries.
this is correct. if you want to use "in other countries" we have to have element parallel to this phrase, such as "in my country". in comparison and elipsis pattern, the key is to find out a parallel pattern

once you realize the parallel pattern, you realize the elements compared and realize the illogic point.

once again. the key is to find out paralel pattern.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
in elipsis and comparision problem, the key is to find out the parallel pattern.
in elipsis and comparision problem, there are 2 cases, the 2 elements are compared or 2 contexts which are represented by prepositional phrase are compared.
I learn gmat better than my friends
the capital income in this country is higher than in other contries.
we need to find out 2 elements or 2 contexts.

to find out paralel pattern to find out 2 element or 2 contexts is key to success inhere.

yes.
try to find out paralel pattern to find out 2 element or 2 contexts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of [#permalink]
Kudos
I think this question is actually quite flawed, for several reasons:

1) If you just tack the phrase "lower than that of . . ." on the end, it's ambiguous. Exactly what is "lower" modifying? It could even be modifying "Bihar" or "state," I believe.

2) Besides the need to resolve the ambiguity, it seems to me that you need something connecting that final phrase to the rest of the sentence. It's kind of like writing one of these sentences:

Last night I saw a popular movie, very funny.
Last night I saw a popular movie, not as funny as others I've seen.

That just doesn't sound like literate English—probably because it isn't. :-D

3) If you write "lower than that of the most impoverished countries of the world," then you're basically stating that the most impoverished countries of the world all have the same per capita income, which is false.

I think all the answers here are poor. Sometimes these questions make you wonder what kind of grades these test-writers got in English when they were in school. ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for posting the solutions. These are very helpful indeed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Hello experts,
Can you please with an elaborate explanation on why are we eliminating option D
& E because pronouns is a slightly weaker section of mine and the answer provided by @e-gmat experts just left me slightly more confused?
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dontmesswithme wrote:
Hello experts,
& E because pronouns is a slightly weaker section of mine and the answer provided by @e-gmat experts just left me slightly more confused?

Hi

Allow me to address your query. Let us examine the original sentence:

Here, it is obvious that we need to compare the "annual per capita income" of Bihar with a similar quantity of the most impoverished countries of the world ie; annual per capita incomes of those countries. Now, let us plug in answer option (D) into the sentence:

(D) Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, which is lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.

Here, it is not clear what is being compared with the annual per capita income of Bihar. The problem is with the phrase "lower than in" - it has to be lower than something in these countries. What that "something" is is not made clear. Now let us do the same with option (E):

(E) Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, which is lower than it is in the most impoverished countries of the world.

This is not much better than option (D). Admittedly, we do have an "it" here, but what that "it" refers to is not made clear. Again, the compared quantity is ambiguous, and hence this is an incorrect sentence.

Hope this clarifies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
Send PM
svasan05 wrote:
dontmesswithme wrote:
Hello experts,

Hi

Allow me to address your query. Let us examine the original sentence:

Here, it is obvious that we need to compare the "annual per capita income" of Bihar with a similar quantity of the most impoverished countries of the world ie; annual per capita incomes of those countries. Now, let us plug in answer option (D) into the sentence:

(D) Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, which is lower than in the most impoverished countries of the world.

Here, it is not clear what is being compared with the annual per capita income of Bihar. The problem is with the phrase "lower than in" - it has to be lower than something in these countries. What that "something" is is not made clear. Now let us do the same with option (E):

(E) Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, which is lower than it is in the most impoverished countries of the world.

This is not much better than option (D). Admittedly, we do have an "it" here, but what that "it" refers to is not made clear. Again, the compared quantity is ambiguous, and hence this is an incorrect sentence.

Hope this clarifies.

Hi, I have a doubt with the answer choice B.
Since the answer choice has a sentence between two commas isn't that statement supposed to be non essential ? And arent the first sentence and last sentence supposed to have an independent complete thought.
I'm sure I'm mixing up a few rules here but I'm confused.

And how is "lower than" modifying the preceding sentence?
Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of [#permalink]
Quote:

(A) lower than in
(B) lower than that of

Hi Experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, AndrewN
VeritasPrepHailey
In B, it seems that the pronoun 'that' refers back to 'annual per capita income'. The 'that' is the part of core sentence. The highlighted part is the non-essential modifier, right? So why do we compare the essential part 'that of' with the non-essential part 'annual per capita income'?
Thanks__
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Quote:

(A) lower than in
(B) lower than that of

Hi Experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, AndrewN
In B, it seems that the pronoun 'that' refers back to 'annual per capita income'. The 'that' is the part of core sentence. The highlighted part is the non-essential modifier, right? So why do we compare the essential part 'that of' with the non-essential part 'annual per capita income'?
Thanks__

Good question, TheUltimateWinner, and you have identified all the grammatical elements correctly. The comma before with is non-essential itself—the sentence could function just as well without it. The comparison has to be clearcut, though, or else the GMAT™ police will get you. Notice that the clause has fully resolved by the time we hit that first comma. We can thus view the sentence through a different lens:

[main clause] + [modifying phrase] + [modifying phrase]

There is no rule that says you cannot stack modifying phrases, that the latter, in this case, may not refer to some element contained only within the first modifying phrase. In other words, that apparently self-contained part in the middle is not interrupting the main clause, but is an extension of it, and the phrase that follows at the end draws out the idea that much more by way of a comparison.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 112
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Research (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos