GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 12:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bioconservatives, a group who believe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.26
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Bioconservatives, a group who believe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2014, 13:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:21) correct 68% (01:23) wrong based on 1650 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

(A) a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

(B) a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

(C) a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

(D) a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

(E) believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2014, 13:42
Eliminate A because group needs "believes" as the verb. US grammar presides.

Eliminate C because the word "bioconservatives" needs the verb "predict."

Eliminate D for the same reason we eliminate A

Eliminate E because we are contrasting the verb "predict" with the noun "techno-progressives."

B is the correct choice because it corrects choice E's problem, contrast "predict" with "forecast"
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Bioconservatives, a group who believe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 07:08
Bio-conservatives predict X
techno-progressives forecast/predict Y.
X is opposite of Y.

Prediction X is to be compared with prediction Y.

(A) a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
prediction is compared to group. Incorrect due to above reason.
subject verb rule is flawed

(B) a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

(C) a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order,predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
errors as in A repeat here

(D) a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
predict the opposite of believing that is flawed construction.
In-addition techno-progressives word is removed misleading the sentence totally as we do not know who believes that.

(E) believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate
errors mentioned repeat here

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 07:18
pate13 wrote:
Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

(C) a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

(E) believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly
regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

The comparison is to be done between the prediction of bioconservatives and prediction of techno-progressives. All the other options get this comparison wrong. B is little close, but I am not sure if predict can really be ellipsed here.
This is the structure of B:
X predict the opposite of what Y (predict)
Here predict has been ellipsed.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 13:51
pate13 wrote:

Hi, Can someone help me with this question.. I have two doubts with the OA..
Firstly, "Bioconservatives, a group"- has to be singular. So we have "believes" but why do we have "pridict"... Shouldn't it be "predicts"?
Secondly, shouldn't "that" be used for "a group" instead of "who"?
Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 14:44
aks456 wrote:
pate13 wrote:

(E) believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly
regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

Firstly, "Bioconservatives, a group"- has to be singular. So we have "believes" but why do we have "pridict"... Shouldn't it be "predicts"?
Thanks in advance!

First query: The subject of predict is bioconservatives, which is plural, so the verb predict has to be plural. The subject of believes is group, which is singular.
Second query: Technically speaking, group should be modified by that and not who. Well this is a veritas prep question, so dont worry about it. Veritas verbal is full of ambiguity. In real GMAT, this kind of ambiguity wont be present.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2015, 00:35
The subject of ‘predict’ is ‘bioconservatives’ which is a plural subject. Hence predict is correct. The subject for 'believe’ is ‘group’ which is singular. Hence, it should be ‘believes’. So, we can eliminate A,D and E. Between B and C, we eliminate C because of ‘predicts’. Do not base your elimination on ‘that’ and ‘who’. 'That' is technically correct but ‘who’ is also acceptable. C has a major error with subject verb agreement. Hence, we choose the best of the lot which is B.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 13:29
for group, can we use relative pronoun 'who'? .i think who and whom are only used for persons. which and that has to be used for group.

please explain
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 22:36
DeepikaV wrote:
for group, can we use relative pronoun 'who'? .i think who and whom are only used for persons. which and that has to be used for group.

please explain

yes you are right. who and whom are only used for persons.
and here the group is noun modifier or Appositive referring to the group of Bio-conservatives.
So group here refers to people.........hence is correct.
Group is a collective noun here just like team.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 11:00
aks456 wrote:
pate13 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I agree, if bioconservatives is a group then how can it be plural. Please clarify moderators.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 21:27
Hi expert,
I have doubts with the construction of the correct option B.
1) Bioconservatives,a group who...
How can who refer to group correctly?
2) Bioconservatives...predict
If we treat "Bioconservatives" as a group,how can we use the plural verb "predict"

Please help clarify my doubt
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 00:23
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
I have doubts with the construction of the correct option B.
1) Bioconservatives,a group who...
How can who refer to group correctly?
2) Bioconservatives...predict
If we treat "Bioconservatives" as a group,how can we use the plural verb "predict"

Please help clarify my doubt

I agree with both your points. Option B seems to be problematic for two reasons:

1. S-V agreement: "a group.." refers to "Bioconservatives". Therefore it is clear the "Bioconservatives" is considered a group here and hence is singular. So the verb "predict" is wrong.

2. The relative pronoun "who" wrongly refers to "group" (Not a person).

The correct option could be:
Bioconservatives, a group people who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict.....
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Human Resources
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 08:09
Bioconservatives: is mentioned as a group, therefore it should be singular.
Correct SV pair : Bioconservatives(Group)+ believes and : Bioconservatives(Group)+predicts.

Techno-progressives: is not shown as a group and therefore is plural form.
Correct SV pair : Techno-progressives+believe.
e.g: Lions, which are considered as man-eaters???.
Lions is not a group but an identity. Similar are techno-progressives.

Marked Option C as correct.

Usage of who for a group is wrong.
Compared Bioconservatives with techno-progressives.

Pl correct me.
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 05:13
Expert mikemcgarry please guide for this question....I am confused..Bioconservatives is a group so singular in nature hence predicts must be used instead of predict which is used in Option B. Also my second doubt is how can who refer to a group? Who is used to refer to persons isn't it?

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 12:19
What's wrong with option E?
I could eliminate A,C, and D... Not clear why E is incorrect. Please help

Posted from my mobile device

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 06:44
HarshBazooka wrote:
What's wrong with option E?
I could eliminate A,C, and D... Not clear why E is incorrect. Please help

Consider the following:
Bioconservatives predict the opposite of techno-progressives.

This usage does not make any sense - one can predict an event, but it does not make sense when someone predicts some people. The oppposite of techno-progressives are the people who are not techno-progressives. Thus it is meaningless to say that X predicts the people who are not techno-progressives.

Correct usage is:
Bioconservatives predict the opposite of techno-progressives' prediction/forecast.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 14:48
vasuca10 wrote:
Expert mikemcgarry please guide for this question....I am confused..Bioconservatives is a group so singular in nature hence predicts must be used instead of predict which is used in Option B. Also my second doubt is how can who refer to a group? Who is used to refer to persons isn't it?

Dear vasuca10,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, as in another question of yours that I answered, what you believe is a SVA problem is actually a misunderstanding of the nature of the nested clauses. Choice (B) is perfect as is. Here's the main outside sentence, without the noun-modifying clauses.
Bioconservatives . . . predict the opposite of what techno-progressives . . . forecast.
The main subject is "Bioconservatives," a plural noun, and the main verb is "predict," a plural verb. No SVA problem.

The main noun, a plural noun, is followed by a singular appositive phrase "group," and the noun-modifying relative clause, beginning with the word "who," modifies that singular noun and so has a singular verb. You were confusing appositive phrase & subject of the noun-modifying clause with the main subject of the sentence. You were looking at two verbs operating at two completely different grammatical levels in the sentence.

As for your other question, it's 100% perfectly fine for "who" to refer to a group of people, either a few people or a very large group:
my friends, who like to refer to Monty Python, . . .
my family, most of whom live on the East Coast, . . .
the NY Mets, who were the 2015 NL champions, . . .
the French, who take pride in their language, . . .
the world's Muslims, who are an astonishing diverse group, . . .
the human race, whose living members outnumber the dead members, . . .

All of those constructions are 100% grammatically correct. There are about 70 million French people and about 1 billion Muslim on Earth. In the entire history of our species Homo sapiens, there have been about 10 billion human beings altogether, and about 7 billion of those are alive right now. I don't think I can conceive of a bigger number of "who," yet this use of "who" is still perfectly correct.

My friend, rather than continue to cite SVA issues and other problems where in fact you misunderstand the relationship of different clauses, I would recommend developing a deeper understanding of sophisticated grammatical structures. A non-native English speaker develops this understand by cultivating a rigorous habit of reading. Learning all the rules of grammar will only give you about 20-30% of what you need to know. The rest is a living knowledge of how the language is used, and this comes only from reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.23
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 07:08
mikemcgarry wrote:
vasuca10 wrote:

Dear vasuca10,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, as in another question of yours that I answered, what you believe is a SVA problem is actually a misunderstanding of the nature of the nested clauses. Choice (B) is perfect as is. Here's the main outside sentence, without the noun-modifying clauses.
Bioconservatives . . . predict the opposite of what techno-progressives . . . forecast.
The main subject is "Bioconservatives," a plural noun, and the main verb is "predict," a plural verb. No SVA problem.

The main noun, a plural noun, is followed by a singular appositive phrase "group," and the noun-modifying relative clause, beginning with the word "who," modifies that singular noun and so has a singular verb. You were confusing appositive phrase & subject of the noun-modifying clause with the main subject of the sentence. You were looking at two verbs operating at two completely different grammatical levels in the sentence.

As for your other question, it's 100% perfectly fine for "who" to refer to a group of people, either a few people or a very large group:
my friends, who like to refer to Monty Python, . . .
my family, most of whom live on the East Coast, . . .
the NY Mets, who were the 2015 NL champions, . . .
the French, who take pride in their language, . . .
the world's Muslims, who are an astonishing diverse group, . . .
the human race, whose living members outnumber the dead members, . . .

All of those constructions are 100% grammatically correct. There are about 70 million French people and about 1 billion Muslim on Earth. In the entire history of our species Homo sapiens, there have been about 10 billion human beings altogether, and about 7 billion of those are alive right now. I don't think I can conceive of a bigger number of "who," yet this use of "who" is still perfectly correct.

My friend, rather than continue to cite SVA issues and other problems where in fact you misunderstand the relationship of different clauses, I would recommend developing a deeper understanding of sophisticated grammatical structures. A non-native English speaker develops this understand by cultivating a rigorous habit of reading. Learning all the rules of grammar will only give you about 20-30% of what you need to know. The rest is a living knowledge of how the language is used, and this comes only from reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Sir, Thank you for the guidance. However I marked B as Incorrect because the option introduced a new word called "Forecast".The correct answer choice should not have any new words which can change the whole meaning of the paragraph.Please help
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 21:38
sahilsnpt wrote:
Sir, Thank you for the guidance. However I marked B as Incorrect because the option introduced a new word called "Forecast".The correct answer choice should not have any new words which can change the whole meaning of the paragraph.Please help

Hi sahilsnpt!

I can jump in for Mike here :-)

The word "forecast" is a synonym for "predict". The sentence is talking about what "bioconservatives" and "techno-progressives" each "predict". To avoid repeating the word "predict", option B just substitutes "forecast". The meaning, though, is exactly the same -- just because a different word is used, doesn't mean that it is changing the meaning of the sentence at all. Sometimes it's necessary to add or take away words to correct the grammar, but that's find, as long as the meaning doesn't change (as is the case here).

Hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Bioconservatives, a group who believe   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2018, 21:38

Bioconservatives, a group who believe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap