It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 18:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 143

Kudos [?]: 179 [2], given: 0

Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2007, 18:29
2
This post received
KUDOS
13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:43) correct 33% (00:59) wrong based on 619 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, on other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.


A. show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

B. may show that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest ones

C. shows a number of forms of microscopic life to be capable to adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

D. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

E. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Vyshak on 22 Jun 2017, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Typo

Kudos [?]: 179 [2], given: 0

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4491

Kudos [?]: 8755 [8], given: 105

Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 11:18
8
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kuttingchai wrote:
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, on other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.

Sub clause -
that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.

Subject: discovery (singular)
Verb: may no only broaden .... but also show (why should the verb be plural? - what am i missing here?)

Dear kuttingchai,
I read the question and wondered why the first part made no sense. The original poster had a typo (in red) and no one else corrected it.

As to your question, it looks like egmat already gave a solid answer. I'll just add for clarity --- when a verb has an auxiliary verb, a helping verb, in front of it, the verb appears in the "infinitive form" (i.e. the dictionary form) for the present tense (and infinitive form or participle form for other tenses), and the auxiliary verb reflects the "number" of the verb (singular or plural). When there's a series of two or more auxiliary verbs, only the first in the series reflects the number of the verb, and the others follow fixed forms. The tricky thing is --- many auxiliary verbs (may, can, will, might, could, should, would, etc.) don't change for number --- they are the same in singular and plural. A few auxiliary verbs (do/does, has/have) do reflect changes for number. Thus:

he goes
they go

he will go
they will go

he is going
they are going

he doesn't to
they don't go

he would go
they would go

he should go
they should go

he may go
they may go

he has gone
they have gone

he has been going
they have been going

he had gone
they had gone

he would have gone
they would have gone


Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8755 [8], given: 105

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4311

Kudos [?]: 8174 [3], given: 364

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 08:00
3
This post received
KUDOS
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.

A. show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
B. may show that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest ones
C. shows a number of forms of microscopic life to be capable to adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
D. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
E. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest

This apparently intimidating question seems to be a having a typo that is distracting the meaning needlessly.
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets --- “no” should be “on” – But this typo is largely irrelevant to the outcome.
Keeping aside that for a while, we can see that this is just a play of not only…. but also correlative conjunction //ism. What appears after not only should be the same after but also in structure and logic. So not only broaden but also show is a perfect choice; Only A survives while others fall.
Now on ---'may not only broaden but also shows'.—Do we ever say may broadens or will broadens? When used with an auxiliary verb we use the base form only for the present tense also. The real meaning here is may not only broaden but also may show. It is a basic mistake to say that may not only broaden … but also shows. Therefore, A passes the grammar test convincingly.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8174 [3], given: 364

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2471

Kudos [?]: 856 [2], given: 19

Re: Biologists working in Spain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 21:47
2
This post received
KUDOS
reply2spg wrote:
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.

A. show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
B. may show that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest ones
C. shows a number of forms of microscopic life to be capable to adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
D. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
E. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest


A: I do not understand the structure of this question however none other than A fits to the idiomatic expression: "not only plural verb form............ but also plural verb form".
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Kudos [?]: 856 [2], given: 19

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2352

Kudos [?]: 9281 [2], given: 341

Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 06:35
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kuttingchai wrote:
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.

Main clause -
Biologists working in Spain say
Subject : Biologists
verb: say

Sub clause -
that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.

Subject: discovery (singular)
Verb: may no only broaden .... but also show (why should the verb be plural? - what am i missing here?)


Hi cuttingchai,

e-gmat team wishes you a very Happy New Year.

In this sentence, the subject "their discovery..." has two verbs - "may not broaden" and "may show". However, "may" is understood before "show" because it already appears before the first verb. This maintains the parallelism in the sentence.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [2], given: 341

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 838

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 1

GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2007, 07:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.

The highlighted part in the sentence is the key

A. show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
-Correct
B. may show that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest ones

C. shows a number of forms of microscopic life to be capable to adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

D. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

E. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest

The highlighted words in the options invalidate them.

Anand

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4311

Kudos [?]: 8174 [1], given: 364

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Biologists working in Spain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 08:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
“May not only broaden ….. but also show” - is the right idiom. Only choice A has it. All others can be simply eliminated on this score alone, without even going any further. Of course other choices do have a bundle of other problems such as number agreement, unidiomatic usage etc.

If only all GMAT questions were like this ----Aha—
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8174 [1], given: 364

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2352

Kudos [?]: 9281 [1], given: 341

Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2013, 11:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kuttingchai wrote:
"their discovery" is singular subject then why the verb is "show" and not "shows"???


Hi kuttimgchai,

You are missing the point that the singular subject "their discovery" has the verb "may not broden" and "may show". There is a an understood "may" before "show". When we use verbs such as can, may, will, etc, we use the plural verb. That is why you see the verb "show" in the correct answer because it is paired with "may" but this "may" is understood. So we only see "show" there.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [1], given: 341

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4311

Kudos [?]: 8174 [1], given: 364

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 04:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am afraid that there is an impression that a verb is plural, when there is no s and a verb is singular when there is an s. This is erroneous. Used with helping verbs, they are only used in base form.
The basic structure of verbs in present tense is

Verb sing
Base form sing
Singular I person sing
Plural I person we sing
Singular II person you sing
Plural II person you sing
In all the above cases, the base form was simply used with the subject, whether singular or plural
Now let’s see how the structure changes with III person
III person singular (he, she, it) he sings, she sings and it sings, Tom sings etc
III plural (they) they sing
You can see the base form is used here( except in III person singular) and is acceptability called the plural verb.

Now when used with helping verb

(Singular) I can sing, you can sing, he can sing, she can sing and it can sing. Now we do not say - I can sings, you can sings, he can sings, she can sings and it can sings, just because the sub is singular
Now with helping verb (plural)
We can sing, you can sing, they can sing
And not we can sings, you can sings and they can sings.
In the given text, broaden and show are the base forms used with the helping verb may and not plural verbs.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8174 [1], given: 364

1 KUDOS received
CR Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 471

Kudos [?]: 198 [1], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 13:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
Can a phrase (broaden the search for life) be parallel to a clause (show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt)?

Look at the following incorrect sentence due to parallelism issue-

Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions.
_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 198 [1], given: 191

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Posts: 270

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2007, 18:50
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Clear A....

Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.


A. show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

Broaden is plural and hence the show is plural which is correct.


B. may show that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest ones

may broaden and may show is not correct especially if may comes after but also.

C. shows a number of forms of microscopic life to be capable to adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

may not only broaden (plural) should be accompanied with show and not shows (singular)


D. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

may not only broaden and showing are not parallel


E. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest

Same as D

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1339

Kudos [?]: 864 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2007, 19:57
humtum0 wrote:
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.


A. show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

B. may show that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest ones

C. shows a number of forms of microscopic life to be capable to adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

D. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria

E. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest


may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show
tha

that is reqired->C is out
A -for correct parallelism

Kudos [?]: 864 [0], given: 10

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 538

Kudos [?]: 618 [0], given: 2

Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 18:13
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic
river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other
planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions
that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
.
A. show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that
scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
B. may show that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to
conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest
ones
C. shows a number of forms of microscopic life to be capable to adapt to conditions
that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
D. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to
conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest
bacteria
E. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that
scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest

Kudos [?]: 618 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: Biologists working in Spain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2009, 01:28
IMO C

that their discovery of teeming life........shows

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1258

Kudos [?]: 541 [0], given: 0

Re: Biologists working in Spain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2009, 09:28
Definitely A
may not only broaden but also show

Kudos [?]: 541 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 148

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 7

WE 1: 4 years in IT
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 04:09
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic
river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other
planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions
that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.


A. show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that
scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
B. may show that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to
conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest
ones
C. shows a number of forms of microscopic life to be capable to adapt to conditions
that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria
D. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life is capable of adapting to
conditions that scientists have long thought had been hostile to all but the hardiest
bacteria
E. showing that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that
scientists have long thought hostile to all bacteria but the hardiest

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 148

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 7

WE 1: 4 years in IT
Re: Biologists working in Spain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 11:33
daagh..I am aware of this idiom..my question is y not C

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 7

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4311

Kudos [?]: 8174 [0], given: 364

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Biologists working in Spain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 19:27
C says “May not only broaden ….. but also [highlight]shows[/highlight]”

do you see theproblem in when you say shows
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8174 [0], given: 364

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 143

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Biologists working in Spain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 02:59
Except for a typological error, I think the question was fairly easy. A is the right option.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 233

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 16

Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 06:11
Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.

Main clause -
Biologists working in Spain say
Subject : Biologists
verb: say

Sub clause -
that their discovery of teeming life in a highly acidic river may not only broaden the search for life, or for evidence of past life, no other planets but also show that a number of forms of microscopic life can adapt to conditions that scientists have long thought hostile to all but the hardiest bacteria.

Subject: discovery (singular)
Verb: may no only broaden .... but also show (why should the verb be plural? - what am i missing here?)

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 16

Re: Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2013, 06:11

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 40 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Biologists working in Spain say that their discovery of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.