Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3802 [11]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Bleached, enriched flour, almost like sugar's nutritional value, and [#permalink]
daagh wrote:

(b) Bleached, enriched flour is almost more devoid of nutritional value than sugar, [size=150]and much more than likely to appear in foods labeled "sugar-free."[/size]

(c) Bleached, enriched flour's nutritional value is nearly as low as that of sugar, and this type of flour is much more likely to appear in foods labeled "sugar-free."

Hi daagh

With all respect, I think that B is incorrect because of destorted meaning in the first part but not problems with construction.

1. Magoosh claims that noun + simple verb can be omitted in second part. In this case it is [enriched flour + is]
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping- ... -the-gmat/

2. Sometimes COMMA ,AND can be inserted for stylistic reason in parallel list (which is not ivolved in IC construction), if the first part is relatively long

As per my opinion C has a problem in the second part because "more likely" with previous AND does't work. More likely than what? than sugar to be labeled or more likely to appear than not to appear? There is no context for comparison. Example from NYT:

Those born into poverty are much less likely to be able to climb out than their counterparts in other races.

The low quality question IMHO.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Bleached, enriched flour, almost like sugar's nutritional value, and [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts