Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7797 [166]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [21]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun ChiranjeevSingh VeritasKarishma aragonn
As per the question
Let's assume there are 100 people who donate blood
now 15 have NANB hepatitis 5 are removed from the screening. So 10 are left
Conclusion: Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.
It means the 5 people which are removed are replaced by new donors free from NANB hepatits
So how can we inder D ? since the donors remain the same
What's the flaw in my reasoning ?

There is a problem in the highlighted sentence. How do you figure that they will be replaced by new donors? The argument says "5 percent of all prospective blood donors will be disqualified"
From where will the new donors come?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Re: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis [#permalink]
Hi Experts,

I have doubt on D.

Can we readily assume that there will no significantly more people that would like to donate blood?
If it is not the case, the blood supply can still increase.

Please explain.

Thank you.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ballest127 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have doubt on D.

Can we readily assume that there will no significantly more people that would like to donate blood?
If it is not the case, the blood supply can still increase.

Please explain.

Thank you.

The question states, "Which of the following inferences about the consequences of instituting the new tests is best supported by the passage above?" So we don't need to PROVE that (D) is true; as long as the information in the passage supports (D) more than any other choice, we've found our winner. And by POE, we can see that (D) is the best bet.

Also, notice the wording of (D) itself: "The blood supplies available from blood banks are likely to go down." (D) does not say the blood supplies will DEFINITELY go down. The passage suggests that blood supplies will probably go down, so (D) is spot on.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis [#permalink]
Kudos
eybrj2 wrote:
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

Which of the following inferences about the consequences of instituting the new tests is best supported by the passage above?

A) The incidence of new cases of NANB hepatitis is likely to go up by 10 percent.

B) Donations made by patients specifically for their own use are likely to become less frequent.

C) The demand for blood from blood banks is likely to fluctuate more strongly.

D) The blood supplies available from blood banks are likely to go down.

E) The number of prospective first-time donors is likely to go up by 5 percent.

A) The incidence of new cases of NANB hepatitis is likely to go up by 10 percent.
Relationship between donors with NANB and cases isn't given; May be 10 % is utilized by 2%?; Eliminate

B) Donations made by patients specifically for their own use are likely to become less frequent.
Irrelevant; Eliminate

C) The demand for blood from blood banks is likely to fluctuate more strongly.
Fluctuate means go up, down or both. While the demand can go up due to shortage caused by disqualification of 5% donors, other options can't be consequences of the new test. Eliminate.

D) The blood supplies available from blood banks are likely to go down.
Solid option, if the donors go down, then the supplies will go down. Hold.

E) The number of prospective first-time donors is likely to go up by 5 percent.
Goes too far; Eliminate.

D wins!­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 280
Send PM
@e gmat
would you pls help I can't understand at all
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nazii wrote:
@e gmat

Hey nazii,

I can help with this one!

This is a question that really tests us on our ability to visualize sentences (this is particularly true of the answer choices!).

Here is a video I made that may help provide clarity.

Hope this helps!
Harsha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 280
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
nazii wrote:
@e gmat

Hey nazii,

I can help with this one!

This is a question that really tests us on our ability to visualize sentences (this is particularly true of the answer choices!).

Here is a video I made that may help provide clarity.

Hope this helps!
Harsha

I appreciate you billion times :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It was very helpful
it is the best explanation ever on this question
I love egmat
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Inference-based question - so let's jump to the option elimination -

A) The incidence of new cases of NANB hepatitis is likely to go up by 10 percent. - We don't know. How about if earlier, all these 15% were donating, but now the 5% are filtered at the source, so the cases should actually go down? So, it may or may not be true. Such options are not true on Inference.

B) Donations made by patients specifically for their own use are likely to become less frequent. - Is there anything like this mentioned in the passage (In inference questions no new information please, we have to stick to the argument). Out of scope.

C) The demand for blood from blood banks is likely to fluctuate more strongly. - We don't know. The argument just talks about the supply side of the equation. Anything mentioned on the demand side? No. Out of scope.

D) The blood supplies available from blood banks are likely to go down. - Perfect. Earlier suppose 100 blood brackets were in the blood bank. Now 95. Number decreased.

E) The number of prospective first-time donors is likely to go up by 5 percent. - Do we know anything about first-time donors from the argument? No. Out of scope.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q87 V83 DI85
Send PM
I chose option D because
let x be infected donor and y be total donor. x/3 =y/20(as 55 of actual donor is equal 1/3 of infected donor so from here we get infected donor now constitute 15% of actual donor. Now once the 1/3 of infected donor are qualified the 2/3 of infected donor should be more than 10 % of actual donor as actual donor has decreased.but it remains the same which means the total do or must have remained same. So fulfil the gap the number of 1st time donor must be up by 5% of current actual donor.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts