Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [2]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability, which exceeds that [#permalink]
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability, which exceeds that of other scenting hounds, while coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds, which are able to perform many tasks now asked of bloodhounds.

A. Bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability, which exceeds that of other scenting hounds, while coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds, which are able to ----1. 'That of' is wrong. It should be those of. 2. The subordinate clause starting with ‘while’ has no verb of its own. --- wrong

B. Bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability, which, while exceeding that of other scenting hounds, coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds---1 that of is wrong. 2. Tracking ability is the subject, but perform is the verb--- SV number error.

C. Even as bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability that have exceeded that of other scenting hounds, still coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds ---' tracking ability that have exceeded that of' is SV number error. --- wrong

D. Unlike the impressive tracking ability of bloodhounds, which exceeds that of other scenting hounds, coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds, which are able to ---- 1. ‘That of’ should be ‘those of’ 2. The whole sentence lacks a main verb and hence is a fragment.

E. Although bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability exceeding that of other scenting hounds, coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds, are able to—1. Exceeding that of SV number error. 2. The main clause is missing.

The demonstrative pronoun that or this can refer to only singular things. If you want to refer to plural things you must use 'those' or 'these'.
Since all the choices display this error, one can't decide the correct choice.

daagh
Sir,
Thank you prompt response.
I double checked the question again, options are perfectly fine.
I understand it that demonstrative pronoun 'that' or 'this' can refer to only singular things but here isn't it referring to 'ability' which is a singular noun.

Question:
1. If I use 'those of' then it is referring to plural noun 'other scenting hounds, coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds'. But if I replace 'that' with 'ability', would the part of sentence(ability of other scenting hounds, coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds) be wrong?
2. Consider option E which is the correct answer as per 800score.com. If I write it as 'Although bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability exceeding that/those of other scenting hounds, coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds, they are able to....' would it be wrong? Here 'they' being used for 'other ... foxhounds'. I see it wrong however, as 'they' ideally should refer back to subject - bloodhounds - of the sentence. But again, if it is so, the original meaning of the sentence is lost.

I was all over the place in this question but if this is it then there's not point in banging head.
Please help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability, which exceeds that [#permalink]
lnm87 wrote:
Bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability, which exceeds that of other scenting hounds, while coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds, which are able to perform many tasks now asked of bloodhounds.

A. Bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability, which exceeds that of other scenting hounds, while coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds, which are able to

B. Bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability, which, while exceeding that of other scenting hounds, coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds

C. Even as bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability that have exceeded that of other scenting hounds, still coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds

D. Unlike the impressive tracking ability of bloodhounds, which exceeds that of other scenting hounds, coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds, which are able to

E. Although bloodhounds possess an impressive tracking ability exceeding that of other scenting hounds, coonhounds, Swiss Jura hounds, and Bavarian Mountain hounds, as well as several breeds of foxhounds, are able to

Meaning: Blood hounds have impressive tracking ability. the tracking ability of bloodhounds exceed the tracking ability of other hounds, but other hounds perform other tasks that are asked of blood hounds.
A. It is a run on sentence, main verb is missing. Moreover the which modifier does not state the comparison effectively. Furthermore the sentence speaks of the contrasting abilities of two subsets of hounds, while is used for simultaneous action, not for contrast. Incorrect.
B. Again a very confusing sentence. It seems tracking ability exceeds other breeds of hounds. Moreover it has subject verb error. Incorrect
C. Subject verb error. Tracking ability does not agree with plural have. Incorrect.
D. Comparison error. Scenting ability is compared to other hounds. Incorrect.
E. Correct. Notice how tracking ability of bloodhounds has been compared to tracking ability of other hounds using that. All subjects and verbs agree with each other. The contrast is properly shown using although. This is by far the best choice. Correct.
E is correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts