Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Subject Verb Agreementx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [6]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [3]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from --were influential is not prefered

(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from --Correct

(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to --SV disagreement

(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to --Same as C

(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of --were an influence on is not prefered
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from - we need 'who' to refer to the musicians and not 'that'

(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from - Correct.

(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to - subject 'repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style' is plural. We need a plural verb 'were'.

(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to - Same as C.

(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of - 'that of' is redundant.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Hello everyone,
This may be a very noob query, but it is bothering me a lot.
Why is the option B not eliminated straight away due to ambiguity.. Let me clarify-
The words 'also inspired' could refer to either bill monroe or his views.
There seems to be an additional error, if you assume that 'also inspired' refers to the compound subject his views, repertory, then where is the verb for the main subject bill monroe.
And if you assume that it refers to bill monroe, then what is the word 'also' doing there.. What did bill monroe do previously?
I am new to SC and please pardon me if i am missing something obvious.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Wulfang wrote:
Hello everyone,
This may be a very noob query, but it is bothering me a lot.
Why is the option B not eliminated straight away due to ambiguity.. Let me clarify-
The words 'also inspired' could refer to either bill monroe or his views.
There seems to be an additional error, if you assume that 'also inspired' refers to the compound subject his views, repertory, then where is the verb for the main subject bill monroe.
And if you assume that it refers to bill monroe, then what is the word 'also' doing there.. What did bill monroe do previously?
I am new to SC and please pardon me if i am missing something obvious.
There is no ambiguity in this case, because inspired is the main verb in option B. This is the sentence we get:

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

The also is not incorrect. It continues the idea introduced by the whose repertory... bit without being part of the same structure. For example:

Her father, who is considered one of the best CEOs ever, is also a capable cook.

Here the also continues the CEO idea, even though it is not attached to the who is... clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The very purpose of using ", V-ing" is for not referring to the touching noun. If you want the 'including' to refer to the musicians, then you should remove the comma as in 'many musicians including''. Therefore, the comma plus V-ing is not referring to the musicians as I see it.
sir i have so many doubts regarding this ", ing" in this particular question. What i learned is that ", ing" must modify whole previous clause not musicians and ", ing" modify in two ways:-
1. cause and effect of previous clause or
2. give answer of how in this question.
and i think both of them not working here

And if you look difference between noun+noun modifier and , ing modifier then ",ing" modifier must make sense with the subject and verb of previous clause. Even this function is not performed by the sentence. I think it should modify only musicians because that will give sense. Please reply as soon as possible.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Rishabh, including is not your typical present participial phrase; including is actually a preposition. Hence, the general rules of participial phrases do not apply to including.

including can modify the Noun or Noun-Phrase immediately before the word including.

An officially correct sentence:

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

Notice how including modifies a rather far-away noun remedies.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a special note on the usage of including. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Including.pdf [10.85 KiB]
Downloaded 88 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
subject-verb issues: 'x, y, and z was...' (kill C and D)
obvious differences in wordiness/efficiency:
'influenced' is clearly better than 'was influential...'
'inspired' is clearly better than 'was an inspiration' / 'was inspirational'
(this ALONE can eliminate ALL the wrong answers!!)
redundancy ('differed' + 'compared'/'comparison' (kill C and D)
'that' for people (kill A and E)
pronoun 'that of' stands for nothing (...since 'his own' already means music) (kill E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Kudos
Although option B is correct, but as "Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe" is subject of verb influenced and also the subject of "also inspired". Isn't "And" shall be used to join two parallel clauses.
"...influenced generations of bluegrass artists AND also inspired many musicians Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe.."
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
lalit65 wrote:
Although option B is correct, but as "Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe" is subject of verb influenced and also the subject of "also inspired". Isn't "And" shall be used to join two parallel clauses.
"...influenced generations of bluegrass artists AND also inspired many musicians Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe.."

Hi Lalit, influenced...and inspired... are indeed parallel constructs, since both of them are verbs.

also is just used for the purpose of emphasis.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
can someone please explain why "also" can be used to join the two parallel elements "influenced" and "inspired" here?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [2]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Meisme wrote:
can someone please explain why "also" can be used to join the two parallel elements "influenced" and "inspired" here?
Hi Meisme,

A little late, but that also does not join those two elements.

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

can be read as

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe (whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists) also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
VeritasKarishma

Between the following phrases, can you please explain why 2nd phrase is wrong?
- music differed significantly from his own.
- music is significantly different from music of his own.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
thecoronafever wrote:
VeritasKarishma

Between the following phrases, can you please explain why 2nd phrase is wrong?
- music differed significantly from his own.
- music is significantly different from music of his own.

'his own' is modifying music. You cannot use it with a preposition.

You can say "his own car" not "car of his own".
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thecoronafever
Since "his own" in this context can be read as "his own music," we would have to read "that of his own" as "the music of his own music"!
Quote:
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to

(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to

(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of

Request Expert Reply:
In correct choice B why there is a word 'also'? We use the word 'also' when someone/somebody does another job along with the recent one. If I say: 'He is also an engineer' that means he is already a 'writer' or something like that one. We can't use the word 'also' until s/he has another quality. too!
In B, 'influenced generations of bluegrass artists' is NOT the quality of Bill Monroe, rather it is 'influenced' by Bill Monroe's collective entity 'repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style'. If the subject of 'also inspired' is these 3 entities, then there should have a conjunction before 'also'. Am I missing anything, experts?
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Request Expert Reply:[/color][/b][/size]
In correct choice B why there is a word 'also'? We use the word 'also' when someone/somebody does another job along with the recent one. If I say: 'He is also an engineer' that means he is already a 'writer' or something like that one. We can't use the word 'also' until s/he has another quality. too!
In B, 'influenced generations of bluegrass artists' is NOT the quality of Bill Monroe, rather it is 'influenced' by Bill Monroe's collective entity 'repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style'. If the subject of 'also inspired' is these 3 entities, then there should have a conjunction before 'also'. Am I missing anything, experts?

Hi

The "also" is used to signify two things, as you rightly point out. In this sentence (specifically, option (B)), the two things being connected by although are:

i) Bill Monroe...influenced generations of bluegrass artists. In other words, these artists presumably composed/performed music similar to Bill Monroe.
ii) Bill Monroe inspired many musicians...whose music differed significantly from his own.

These are two different points being made, both being done by Bill Monroe. You are right that the sentence talks about certain qualities of Bill Monroe in the first instance, but that can reasonably be considered Bill Monroe himself influencing the "generations of bluegrass artists" as well, since those qualities are inherent in his music.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of

If you’ve seen our videos on pronouns or comparisons, you’ve heard me talk about the phrase “that of” (also discussed in this article). In this case, “that” is a singular pronoun, which seems to refer to “music.”

Trouble is, when you re-read that part of the sentence with “music” replacing “that”, it doesn’t really make sense: “…including Elvis and Jerry, whose music was significantly different from the music of his own.” Huh? The phrase “…different from the music of his own” makes no sense. Why not just say “different from his own” instead?

Plus, (E) also features some crappy stuff again: “were an influence” isn’t as sharp as “were influential”, and “was an inspiration” is a lousier version of “inspired”. Those things aren’t WRONG, but they’re definitely not great.

So (E) is out, and (B) is our best bet.

GMATNinja apart from the redundancy of "that", isn't (D) a better parallel structure than (B)? Please help me understand where I am going wrong
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts