GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2019, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Bocconi CEMS or ESADE MIM+Business analytics?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Bocconi CEMS or ESADE MIM+Business analytics?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 04:19
Hi all!

I graduated from a bachelor in Economics this year and I got admitted for a Masters both at Bocconi and ESADE and I have a couple of days to make a decision.
Initially I applied for the master in Business analytics + CEMS at ESADE but because the course was full (I was in the last round of application) they offered me the double degree in International Management and Business Analytics, so without the CEMS. At Bocconi I was admitted for the MS in International Management + CEMS.

They both seem like great programmes so it is really hard to choose and I would love some advice!

I like Bocconi because I am originally from Italy and it could be a great experience to go back to my home country for a little bit. Bocconi would also give me great career opportunities in case I decide to stay in Italy as it is the best business school in the country. The CEMS option is also great to grow professionally and would definitely help for a future career in an international environment. I think I would really fit in in the CEMS because in the past 10 years I moved to a different country every couple of years and this Masters is very focused on having an international mindset. However I have heard a lot of people complaining about the atmosphere at Bocconi, I was told that many people are arrogant or that they will give you the wrong notes on purpose so that they can score better at the exams. Can anyone share their experience as a student in Bocconi? Is it really this extreme? Another thing that worries me about Bocconi is that they seem less focused on innovation compared to ESADE, and maybe graduating in business analytics rather than just management would give me more opportunities in the future.

About ESADE, honestly I am in love with this university. The courses seem very interesting and I am very happy about the idea of the double degree. Barcelona seem like a very fun city to live in and I have never lived in Spain and i'd be very eager to explore this new country. Whenever I call the international admission office the people there are so nice and helpful which makes me believe that even if there is a lot of competition among students the environment at this university is still quite friendly. However I do not know anyone who has studied at ESADE so I do not know for sure what to expect. Also I prefer ESADE because they a very hands-on approach and they are highly focused on innovation and sustainability which are for me very important. The main con with ESADE is that I have no experience in data analytics or any programming, so I am worried that I will be behind compared to the rest of the class, or that the courses will be too difficult for me to follow. I did a lot of maths and statistics in my bachelor and I am pretty good at it but I am not sure if these skills are enough for a masters in business analytics. Another very small con is that I am pretty sure that I will not live in Barcelona after graduation, but in my heart I kind of feel ready to settle down and find a city that I can call my 'home', at least for a little bit. Finally, I don't know if it makes sense to give up the opportunity to do the CEMS. It seems like a really cool programme as they blend professional experience, with academic courses, language courses, and international experiences. It seems like a unique opportunity and the partner companies of the CEMS also make this course very attractive.

This is pretty much my situation so far. Both universities are amazing which makes me very happy but it is also making the decision quite hard to make. I would really appreciate to hear any kind of opinion or personal experience at one of these unis.

Have a good day :)
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Re: Bocconi CEMS or ESADE MIM+Business analytics?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2019, 10:32
camiv wrote:
Hi all!

I graduated from a bachelor in Economics this year and I got admitted for a Masters both at Bocconi and ESADE and I have a couple of days to make a decision.
Initially I applied for the master in Business analytics + CEMS at ESADE but because the course was full (I was in the last round of application) they offered me the double degree in International Management and Business Analytics, so without the CEMS. At Bocconi I was admitted for the MS in International Management + CEMS.

They both seem like great programmes so it is really hard to choose and I would love some advice!

I like Bocconi because I am originally from Italy and it could be a great experience to go back to my home country for a little bit. Bocconi would also give me great career opportunities in case I decide to stay in Italy as it is the best business school in the country. The CEMS option is also great to grow professionally and would definitely help for a future career in an international environment. I think I would really fit in in the CEMS because in the past 10 years I moved to a different country every couple of years and this Masters is very focused on having an international mindset. However I have heard a lot of people complaining about the atmosphere at Bocconi, I was told that many people are arrogant or that they will give you the wrong notes on purpose so that they can score better at the exams. Can anyone share their experience as a student in Bocconi? Is it really this extreme? Another thing that worries me about Bocconi is that they seem less focused on innovation compared to ESADE, and maybe graduating in business analytics rather than just management would give me more opportunities in the future.

About ESADE, honestly I am in love with this university. The courses seem very interesting and I am very happy about the idea of the double degree. Barcelona seem like a very fun city to live in and I have never lived in Spain and i'd be very eager to explore this new country. Whenever I call the international admission office the people there are so nice and helpful which makes me believe that even if there is a lot of competition among students the environment at this university is still quite friendly. However I do not know anyone who has studied at ESADE so I do not know for sure what to expect. Also I prefer ESADE because they a very hands-on approach and they are highly focused on innovation and sustainability which are for me very important. The main con with ESADE is that I have no experience in data analytics or any programming, so I am worried that I will be behind compared to the rest of the class, or that the courses will be too difficult for me to follow. I did a lot of maths and statistics in my bachelor and I am pretty good at it but I am not sure if these skills are enough for a masters in business analytics. Another very small con is that I am pretty sure that I will not live in Barcelona after graduation, but in my heart I kind of feel ready to settle down and find a city that I can call my 'home', at least for a little bit. Finally, I don't know if it makes sense to give up the opportunity to do the CEMS. It seems like a really cool programme as they blend professional experience, with academic courses, language courses, and international experiences. It seems like a unique opportunity and the partner companies of the CEMS also make this course very attractive.

This is pretty much my situation so far. Both universities are amazing which makes me very happy but it is also making the decision quite hard to make. I would really appreciate to hear any kind of opinion or personal experience at one of these unis.

Have a good day :)

Hello camiv

I would certainly go with Business Analytics double degree at ESADE.

Math and Stat foundation you have is enough for learning any coding program.

Of course it will take some time, as with anything in life, but you will be able to follow and learn quickly.

So far I can see only R as program mentioned in curriculum and R is easy....ugly looking but easy to learn :)

http://prodesade.esade.edu/gea/generate ... 18CBA11004

You also have intro Pre-Programme course where you will grasp: R, Python and SQL.

Moreover there is Computer Science 101 as course that teaches the essential ideas of Computer Science for a zero-prior-experience audience, so I dont see any problem with that ;)

http://prodesade.esade.edu/gea/generate ... 18PBA40101

http://prodesade.esade.edu/gea/generate ... 18PBA40102

http://prodesade.esade.edu/gea/generate ... 18PBA40104

http://prodesade.esade.edu/gea/generate ... 18PBA40103

You will also have trip to Silicon Valley :cool:

I dont find CEMS curriculum particularly alluring, both ESADE or Bocconi, so you dont miss much...but I guess it depends on interest.

I would certainly go with Big Data in Finance and Fintech electives, but that is just me :cool:

http://prodesade.esade.edu/gea/generate ... 19CBA30002

http://prodesade.esade.edu/gea/generate ... 19CBA30001

My vote goes for Barcelona :cool:
GPA: 3.78
Re: Bocconi CEMS or ESADE MIM+Business analytics?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2019, 02:36
Hi Camiv!

I was pleased to read your message because I ended up exactly in the same situation: I also applied to Bocconi MIM+CEMS and Esade Business analytics+CEMS at the last round. In the same way as you did, I got admitted at Bocconi MIM+CEMS but I did not get a spot for the Business Analytics + CEMS program as it was already full and they offered me the same proposition, the double degree MIM+Business Analytics.

It has been some long long days thinking about this choice but I eventually decided, I will study at Esade in September. :)

I chose Esade for several reasons. The first is that I felt that the quality of the courses was higher (especially compared to the CEMS, I asked a few friends their feedback and I did not receive only good feedback). Secondly, I really wanted to study Business Analytics because it is a hot subject at the moment and it opens the door to many positions in technological firms and project (as for example smart cities). Furthermore, I loved the culture of Esade and its focus on innovation, they have several laboratories only dedicated to innovation and launching startups.

No matters which university you chose, it will be amazing. They are both great and well-known institutions but I know how hard the choice remains!

Tell me which one you eventually chose, we might be classmates soon ;)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Bocconi CEMS or ESADE MIM+Business analytics?   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2019, 02:36

Bocconi CEMS or ESADE MIM+Business analytics?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch