Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [2]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Bombed this test CRAZY. [#permalink]
Kudos
vwjetty,
Sorry to hear that. However, what were you thinking just studying out of a Princeton Review book?

Fellow posts mention the Official Guide--that's a must! I don't think I saw you mention the GMAT Prep software either. This is critical as the actual exam is in front of a computer. Practicing with the software gives you familiarity with the interface. The questions from these two sources are most similar to what you will see on your exam.

I wouldn't necessarily say Princeton Review is "garbage"--however, I have seen a lot of misprints and errors in their material that may actually further confuse students. Stick to a variety of resources to maximize your understanding.

If your actual exam is in front of a computer, why would you spend all your time studying from a book? I'm afraid you probably wasted some time adjusting to the computer interface while taking the actual exam!

Some blog posts that might be relevant for you:

How to "DO" GMAT Questions - https://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... questions/ GMAT questions are kind of weird. They make you think in an awkward way that most people don't naturally feel comfortable with. However, a disciplined approach to doing GMAT questions can help solidify this thought process into your mind.

GMAT Psychology and TIming Strategies that may have affected you during your exam: https://www.gmatpill.com/about/studying- ... trategies/

To reiterate, here's the magic formula:
1) go to https://www.mba.com and download the GMAT Prep software
2) get a hold of the Official Guide
3) Find some additional resources that match your style of learning. If you are a visual learner (rather than a textbook learner), we recommend you take a look at the free material from the GMAT Pill Study Method to see if it's for you.

Hope that helps!

Originally posted by GMATPill on 25 Apr 2010, 17:15.
Last edited by GMATPill on 25 Apr 2010, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Kudos
The Princeton Review is garbage, and only good for the AWA section.

You don't even have the Official Guides, wtf is wrong with you. They tell you on the official gmat site to atleast have those.

best-gmat-books-reviews-recommendations-for-your-prep-77703.html <--- go their and get the right books

You need a book for each section: CR,RC, SC, and Quaint. My personal suggestion is Powerscore for SC and CR, Manhattan for RC and all of qaint (5 books)

Then you need to practice with the Official Guides as well.

And take practice test!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Kudos
vwjetty wrote:
DAYNE wrote:
The Princeton Review is garbage

definitely agree with you. Thanks for the link for sure.

Please introduce yourself here: knowing-club-members-introduce-yourself-here-6987-460.html

and go here to navigate through out the forum: nink-s-guide-on-how-to-navigate-through-gmatclub-for-newbies-76938.html
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
cool deal. thanks.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
vannbj wrote:
It's good to see another ram up here on the forum. I went to VCU for undergrad also. I only felt I began to master the material after I looked at the manhattan gmat books. The orginal guides are good for examples but the mgmat books are awesome for breaking down methods of solving problems. Kaplan & Princeton Review are "garbage." I can't reiterate that enough. Good luck and if you practice and focus you'll probably be surprised at how well you can do.

sweet dude. vcu undergrad is ok i guess at least my friends in the school are getting decent jobs. my prof told me that their grad is ok but they would suggest elsewhere if i could make it. yeah I just went out and purchased the OG 12th edition and the OG Quant Review 2nd Edition. They had a sale at borders :-D . I'm pretty determined to hit/break 550 next time I take it. At least that will make my application a little more competitive for W&M and GWU.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
will do :-D I've already started to check out some of the problems people have posted and started to make head way on some of the stuff. Definitely studying at a whole never different level for my next gmat than before, I can feel it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GRE 1: Q46 V37
GPA: 3.14
WE:Architecture (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
You got a 1330 on your SAT and only a 430 on the GMAT? Something is definitely wrong, but the way I see it (and anyone else can chime in) there is a huge potential for you to get much higher than a 600.

Personally, I got a 1230 on the SAT (no studying), but I got a 680 on the GMAT after studying(and I feel like I could do even better if I study and take it one more time). I absolutely agree that you need more (and better) study materials. Like everyone has suggested, get the OG books first, though I would also suggest you get the Manhattan GMAT (MGMAT) books. Before I went through the books, I got a 500 on my first practice test and my scores steadily rose.

The way I see it, if you can get a 650+ score, which I believe is completely reasonable considering your strong SAT score, your chances will increase greatly of getting into a strong program. For one, I believe it will help offset poor grade performance in your first two years. Also, the "struggles" you have been going through and the resilience you have shown (maybe?)could be a great thing to discuss in your essays and interview. Personally, I've been laid off for a year, and a career placement guy at Darden told me I should reflect what I've learned from the experience and discuss it in my interview. Specifically, through your critical reflection you could talk about how it made you become more resourceful or changed you so that you don't take anything for granted anymore.

I hope this could be inspirational for you. Honestly, with a little bit of hard work, I think your fortunes could change.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Haha...

Man, I didn't know there was so much support for this! I feel really confident that I can definitely do this now. Thank you! I'm definitely hitting the ground running now. I just went out about bought the OG 12th edition and going to crack it open tonight. Also I just bought the Verbal and Quant OG 2nd Edition just to help me out. Because I think I don't really understand the fundamentals of the Sentence Correction and Critical Reading that well.

As far as the SAT's, It might have been a fluke or something b/c I took it twice and the first time I got a 1190 and didn't study a whole lot. Bought a book or two, did a few practice sets and took it the second time. Good guessing?! :roll: :roll:

My advisor at the university told me to just focus on my core classes because I was going to go back and retake some of those darn chem and bio classes but was swayed around from it. My dream would really be to go to W&M for grad not that my current university is bad but I've been here 4 years and growing old of the environment and want some new challenges.

So I'm planning my study to be about 2-3 hours a day. Given that I graduate here in about 2 weeks I should have a lot of time on my hands (with no job) to prepare for this full-time without burning myself out after the first week. Just out of curiousity, how heavily do you think they weight the GPA and academics? I'm kind of embarassed to say this but I've actually been called on for academic probation not once, but twice given my low medical track GPA, and that was when I decided I need to make it or break it. Found math to be somewhat of a strong point for me, and came to do business track (runs in the family) and did financial technology.

I also plan on registering for a rerun of the GMAT's sometime in about 4 month's time. Given that I have pretty much till the end of the year to apply for Spring Grad Applications I think if I did one in spring and worst case scenario, if i did bad, i would just go back and take it again for my last time in october.

Sorry for asking so many questions but how do some of you guys find the courses offered for the GMAT prep? I know they're ridiculously expensive and my folks are kind enough to offer my some kind of aid because they know how important this is to me. I've slacked off pretty hard and played video-games day and night my first two years but now I got my head screwed on right so I'm pretty much full out on this. Hopefully, one day in the future I can look back at this moment today and make it a success story like so many other people on here.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys!

Thought I would turn this thread maybe into a blog or something of inspiration to those whom are in the same boat as I am. Ok, so to sum things up. I bombed it the first time around, got a 430 back in April - I was devastated, wasn't prepared, didn't have time-management, and obviously worked purely off of the wrong material - Princeton Review.

Since then, and after graduating from VCU in May I knew I had to make some serious effort in order to better my score. I started my intense study since June 1st. Everyday going through basic materials via Kaplan, Manhattan GMAT series, and OG #11.

So approximately, 2 months have passed (since it was somewhat on and off) but I was definitely consistent and determined to follow up on my plan. Well today, I felt that I needed to give it a go after 2 months of intense studying and decided to pull out one of the GMATprep test to give a shot. Well, I'll let my progress speak for itself.

So the moral of the story is, keep at it. This test really isn't that difficult as I still haven't reached my goal score but I definitely like where it's going and to be truthful, I'm probably the dumbest person you'll ever meet - no lie, any of my friends will tell you that. And I know in the SC and CR forums I ask a lot of dumb questions and I get smirked on a lot here, there's probably people doing it right now reading this. But that's ok, I don't mind. I wasn't born a genius and damn proud :) . Anyone can do this test. Please don't take me or this thread as role model because there's a lot of other people that deserve that. But I wanted to point out that this site is GREAT! It's definitely helped me out A LOT (even though I ask a lot of dumb questions) and I plan to purchase some of the test banks you guys have provided here since the review for them has been nothing but positive.

I'll keep this updated with latest progress etc etc (if that's ok with the admin lol).

Oh, and to add. I KNOW I can do better. I made A LOT of dumb mistakes because I was so nerve-racked on timing. But yeah, lots of dumb mistakes on this one as I've reviewed. Ex. 2 + 3 = 6 :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Send PM
DAYNE wrote:
The Princeton Review is garbage

definitely agree with you. Thanks for the link for sure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
gmatpill wrote:
drew031482,
Sorry to hear that. However, what were you thinking just studying out of a Princeton Review book?

Fellow posts mention the Official Guide--that's a must! I don't think I saw you mention the GMAT Prep software either. This is critical as the actual exam is in front of a computer. Practicing with the software gives you familiarity with the interface. The questions from these two sources are most similar to what you will see on your exam.

I wouldn't necessarily say Princeton Review is "garbage"--however, I have seen a lot of misprints and errors in their material that may actually further confuse students. Stick to a variety of resources to maximize your understanding.

If your actual exam is in front of a computer, why would you spend all your time studying from a book? I'm afraid you probably wasted some time adjusting to the computer interface while taking the actual exam!

How to "DO" GMAT Questions - https://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... questions/ GMAT questions are kind of weird. They make you think in an awkward way that most people don't naturally feel comfortable with. However, a disciplined approach to doing GMAT questions can help solidify this thought process into your mind.

GMAT Psychology and TIming Strategies that may have affected you during your exam: https://www.gmatpill.com/about/studying- ... trategies/

3) Find some additional resources that match your style of learning. If you are a visual learner (rather than a textbook learner), we recommend you take a look at the free material from the GMAT Pill Study Method to see if it's for you.

Hope that helps!

The GMAT Prep software is a practice test from the people of gmat, which I mentioned.

I'm sorry but the Princeton Review is garbage:
-their strategies will make you do worst on the test - compare the RC of Princeton to Manhattan RC strategies
-it gives you just an overview of concepts, yet they preach it to you like its the real deal
- its only good for introducing the basics of the exam on how its structured and the AWA section
-their organization is crap
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
gmatpill wrote:
drew031482,

Hope that helps!

I'm assuming you meant to address that to the original poster and not me?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Send PM
Ah yes, edited to address vwjetty. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
vwjetty wrote:
Haha...

Man, I didn't know there was so much support for this! I feel really confident that I can definitely do this now. Thank you! I'm definitely hitting the ground running now. I just went out about bought the OG 12th edition and going to crack it open tonight. Also I just bought the Verbal and Quant OG 2nd Edition just to help me out. Because I think I don't really understand the fundamentals of the Sentence Correction and Critical Reading that well.

The OG isn't meant to help you with the fundamentals, its their to reinforce them and for you to learn the pattern of traditional OG problems.

Fundamentals for verbal you need either Powerscore SC, CR, RC Manhattan or Manhattan CR, SC. RC

I suggest as I've read on here and experienced on my own, hitting up the OG questions before learning the fundamnetals is a waste.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
MGMAT offer's online classes. It's an 8 week class - 3 hours per class. I believe the cost is somewhere around grand, if that's not out of your price range. Just FYI if you sign up for a MGMAT test - the OG books are included in the price (including the Math and Verbal books), in addition to all of the MGMAT books. Also, you are allowed to use their online tests for 6 months.

I had a pretty good experience with them. The first two times I took the GMAT I only got a 610, though I had gotten a 660 on their MGMAT practice tests. I e-mailed them and they followed up with an e-mail asking for a good time to set up a phone call with me. During the conversation the woman asked about my habits and where I thought I did poorly. She gave me some great advice...

Basically, I was having a little trouble with endurance, especially when it came to the last part of the test, verbal. Regarding sentence correct (SC), she told me to break down how I looked at problems; specifically, she told me to look at a problem and identify first what they were testing me on (idioms, parallelism, subject/verb agreement, etc.), then write down the rule. If I didn't know the rule, she told me to look it up and memorize them. Obviously, it must have helped, but I really liked the fact that they helped me after my class was up.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Send PM
Agree with Dayne regarding OG.

Regarding your comment on exorbitant test programs--well, that used to be true but no longer is!

It used to be almost not fair---only those who were willing to fork over thousands of dollars would have access to quality GMAT Prep. In fact, I was part of the problem as I charged a lot of money to help privileged rich kids get into top business schools--distancing myself from the average test taker. Great money, but it wasn't meaningful for me.

My students eventually convinced me to create the GMAT Pill, which now strives to level the playing field by offering top quality GMAT test prep at affordable rates to as many students as I can---not just the privileged rich kids.

Anyway, my point is---you no longer have to choose between cheap books and $1,500 prep programs. Resources like GMAT Pill are here to help!

If you haven't noticed yet, GMAT Pill (https://www.gmatpill.com/preview/) offers great material when it comes to understanding fundamentals of SC and CR in the context of GMAT questions. It focuses on 10 core frameworks that are vital in any test question and the moves onto how to apply those frameworks to test questions. Focus is on maximizing study efficiency and concept absorption.

Resources mentioned by other fellow posters here are also good--if you learn best by reading a book.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Send PM
cool deal. this is great info. thanks a lot.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts