Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [15]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20708 [4]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
General Discussion
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: The Book of Kells [#permalink]
Kudos
I ll go with E.....

Demonstrated correctly modifies The Book of Kells .

Demonstrated and Incorporated - Maintain Parallelism.

such - as construction properly used in option E.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Careful, pictureperfect. Before worrying about such issues as like vs. as, make sure you have a workable sentence. It helps to ask what the main subject and verb of the sentence are. In A, there is no verb for the subject. Shortening it down, we have "The Book of Kells, an illumination, a demonstration and incorporated." There's no subject-verb pair, so it's not a sentence.

As for "like," that's what we use to compare nouns. To introduce examples, we say "such as" or "such X as." We can see this used correctly in D, E (the correct answer), and in the first line of my post! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
For those in a hurry just one step forward. There is a parallelism marker 'and'; Demonstration or demonstrated in one arm should be matched by an equal part of speech on the other arm' Only E does that. You are home already. If you want to affirm you answer, then verify comparison aspects, 'such as' and 'such like'

(A) demonstration of what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments like
(B) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and the incorporation of such foreign pigments like
(C) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporating foreign pigments as
(D) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and the incorporation of such foreign pigments as
(E) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments as
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: The Book of Kells, an illumination of the four gospels produced in eig [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tuanquang269 wrote:
The Book of Kells, an illumination of the four gospels produced in eighth century Ireland, a demonstration of what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporating such foreign pigments like indigo from India and lapis lazuli from Afghanistan.

(A) a demonstration of what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporating such foreign pigments like

(B) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and the incorporation of such foreign pigments like

(C) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporating foreign pigments as

(D) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and the incorporation of such foreign pigments as

(E) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments as

Dear tuanquang269,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Always fun to answer a question I have written!

This is a question about the Book of Kells, one of my favorite art works in the world!

Split #1: listing examples. For examples, we need to use "such ... as," and not "like." Choices (A) and (B) are wrong on this count, and choice (C) is questionable. Choice (D) and (E) have the correct structure.

Split #2: parallelism. The first main verb is "demonstrated." We need the second verb to be in parallel with this, "incorporated," not "incorporating" or "the incorporation."

All this is enough to isolate (E) as the only possible answer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: MBS '18
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The Book of Kells, an illumination of the four gospels produced in eighth century Ireland, a demonstration of what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporating such foreign pigments like indigo from India and lapis lazuli from Afghanistan.

(A) a demonstration of what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments like

The official answer will be given after at least 3 responses

Ans should be A and the analysis below:

Indigo is a noun so Like should be used instead of as. As for Action Like for noun. So C , D and E out
Between A and B. A demonstration of what... : is a noun phrase so it describes about The Book of Kells correctly.
But Still not sure about the ||ism here. incorparated...demonstration looks me odd. Interesting to know the OA.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: MBS '18
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Careful, pictureperfect. Before worrying about such issues as like vs. as, make sure you have a workable sentence. It helps to ask what the main subject and verb of the sentence are. In A, there is no verb for the subject. Shortening it down, we have "The Book of Kells, an illumination, a demonstration and incorporated." There's no subject-verb pair, so it's not a sentence.

As for "like," that's what we use to compare nouns. To introduce examples, we say "such as" or "such X as." We can see this used correctly in D, E (the correct answer), and in the first line of my post! :)

Thanks a lot "DmitryFarber". Completely ignored Such X as Y. :o
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
The Book of Kells [#permalink]
The subject The Book of Kelles requires a verb and not a noun, therefore demonstrated and not a demonstration
Further, the subject demonstrated ... and incorporated ...
Idiomatically the form should be Such X As Y and not Such X like Y
This leaves us only with E which uses the verb correctly and is parallel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Schools: Erasmus '17
Send PM
Re: The Book of Kells, an illumination of the four gospels [#permalink]
daagh wrote:

(A) a demonstration of what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments like

The official answer will be given after at least 3 responses

Now is the OA time; OA is

and incorporating such foreign pigments like indigo from India and lapis lazuli from Afghanistan.
Either it should be parallel with others by acting as modifier(use comma, instead of and) or should act as verb of main subj(it lacks helping verb)

B. and the incorporation of such foreign pigments like
Again either it should be dependent clause (hence use comma ) and act as modifier or act as Independent clause (lack of verb)
C. Similar error(lack of helping verb)
D. lack of helping verb
E. Two independent clause made parallel with use of and.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
Can someone please explain, why (D) is not correct? It has is a slightly different meaning of a sentence, than in (E) (The book demonstrated pinnacle and incorporated pigments). In (D) I do see a parallel structure after "demonstrated": "...demonstrated (the pinnacle) AND (the incorporation)." The only possible wrong thing with (D) could be the wordiness in use of "incorporation" rather than verb "incorporate". Or that book can not demonstrate.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Tamerlana wrote:
Can someone please explain, why (D) is not correct? It has is a slightly different meaning of a sentence, than in (E) (The book demonstrated pinnacle and incorporated pigments). In (D) I do see a parallel structure after "demonstrated": "...demonstrated (the pinnacle) AND (the incorporation)." The only possible wrong thing with (D) could be the wordiness in use of "incorporation" rather than verb "incorporate". Or that book can not demonstrate.

Option (D)

The Book of Kells, an illumination of the four gospels produced in eighth century Ireland, demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and the incorporation of such foreign pigments as indigo from India and lapis lazuli from Afghanistan.

Option (E)

The Book of Kells, an illumination of the four gospels produced in eighth century Ireland, demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments as indigo from India and lapis lazuli from Afghanistan.

Thus parallelism is also at play in full form here... :-D

Hope this helps !!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
Abhishek009 , thank you for your answer. What I mean, is - Option (D) for me looks like:

The Book of Kells, an illumination of the four gospels produced in eighth century Ireland, demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and the incorporation of such foreign pigments as indigo from India and lapis lazuli from Afghanistan.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The Book of Kells, an illumination of the four gospels [#permalink]

Parallelism.!

E is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM

(A) a demonstration of what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments like - "like" not to be used for giving examples + "The book of Kells a demonstration" is of course wrong
(B) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and the incorporation of such foreign pigments like -"like" not to be used for giving examples
(C) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporating foreign pigments as - "as" not to be used for giving examples + "demonstrated" and "incorporating" lacks the // structure
(D) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and the incorporation of such foreign pigments as - "demonstrated" and "the incorporation" do not fit together
(E) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments as - "demonstrated" and "incorporated" fit in well together and are //, therefore CORRECT option
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
(A) a demonstration of what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments like - has an idiom error (such...like)
(B) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and the incorporation of such foreign pigments like - has an idiom error (such...like)

- does not have the word 'such' to complete the 'such... as' idiom structure.

- has a parallelism error.

(E) demonstrated what many consider the pinnacle of Celtic knotwork art and incorporated such foreign pigments as - has no error. Hence, (E) is the right answer choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello,

I correctly eliminated options A, B and C and was left with D and E.

I don't know why D is wrong. I think D and E could both be right. I chose D because I believed the pinnacle and the incorporation are parallel. The book of Kells, demonstrated, the pinnacle of knotwork art and the incorporation of (foreign pigments example) - Is this a meaning issue? Couldn't foreign pigments be incorporated in the book as ink etc?

Why is this wrong?

I understand why E is right, but I can't understand why D is more wrong than E, if that makes sense?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts