It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Books in European libraries last longer than books in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Posts: 51

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 05:18
Subject To is the correct Idiom. This knocks out B and D.

The usage of Such as is incorrect in E. Such as is used to give examples.

C is akward const and incorrect usage of as.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 107

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 208

Location: India
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 19:21
Hussain15 wrote:
riteshbindal wrote:
Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States
because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected
to the extremes of temperature and humidity that
damage collections in the United States.
A. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that------extremes should be extremities
B. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that.........wrong idiom
C. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as.....awkward & wordy, fragement
D. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not
subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as.......same as B above
E. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected
to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that-----OK to me with doubt


I am stuck with A & E. :( but have to take the chance so "E" for me.



E is wrong here, even I had selected that. I don't understand how can because and although make sense together?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 208

Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 731

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 11

Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 10:30
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:
E is wrong here, even I had selected that. I don't understand how can because and although make sense together?

Hi Amrita, not sure if you read daagh Sir's reply above that explains why E cannot be correct. One really needs to develop an eye for meaning clarity, in GMAT.

because establishes causal connection, while although establishes contrast. So, they are not really redundant.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses meaning clarity, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2016
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 00:10
temp33 wrote:
is because, although a right construction.. can someone highlight or give some info on this ?

Me too confused with because,although......can somebody plz explain.....

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 06:39
The words “because of” are a compound preposition. Prepositions are designed to be followed by only a noun —- “because of the rain“, “because of the parade“, “because of the child’s temper tantrum“, etc. The object of this or any preposition can be a gerund or gerund phrase —- “because of waiting for the senator“, “because of limited parking“,Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States
because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected
to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.
A. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that
B. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that
C. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as
D. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not
subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as
E. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected
to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that


Explanation: Subject to is correct idiom and not subject of. Hence B and D out
E is incorrect because of the word THOSE at the end. It's absolutely redundant. If you can't understand this then I suggest you to read Manhattan pronoun and advance pronoun chapter.
Those refers to extremities of temperature and humidity but sentence will absolutely make sense if you remove THOSE. It need not be repeated. In short just not needed.
Hence wrong
Between A and C, A is correct. Because usage of THAT is correct HERE and not AS
Just read both the sentence and you will realize that A is correct.
Usage of AS
1. Comparison
2. To present the reason

But in option C, AS full fill neither of the usage. HENCE WRONG

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

CEO
CEO
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2589

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 177

Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 12:50
I got to E too...hm..don't see anything wrong with it.

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 177

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Mar 2017
Posts: 165

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 02:49
Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States
because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected
to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.


A. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that
B. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that
C. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not
subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as
D. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not
subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as
E. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected
to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that

see the bigger picture..
_________________

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 841

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 00:05
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 60

Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 18:06
.........extremes of temperature and humidity THAT damage collections in the United States.

I think only A clearly shows the meaning and THAT follows right after what's really damage the books (temperature and humidity)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 60

VP
VP
User avatar
G
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1018

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 494

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 00:06
Imo A
The contrast is clearly established by the use of although , moreover we need that .
That refers correctly to extremes of temperature and humidity in A.
Option B uses as those that , this construction is wordy and awkward.
Option C uses extremes of temperature and humidity as , you have extremes of a condition and use of as is wrong here .
It is implying a similarity but we are looking for a contrast .
Option D although is not there and use of that is wrong
Option E such as those that is wordy and awkward.
_________________

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 494

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Feb 2016
Posts: 106

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 58

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.12
WE: Education (Internet and New Media)
Reviews Badge
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 01:40
daagh wrote:
There is no need for a contrast onjuntion here; causal conjunction - because - is sufficient and appropriate.
Hence A, B and C can be easily dispensed with. In D, the use of – as - is senseless with the verb damage; secondly the noun - subject of - is a wrong diction in the contest.

E correctly conjugates the verb - are not subjected to -with the libraries and uses the conjunction that to tie the extremities of temperature and humidity by the the pronoun those.

E is the correct choice.


daagh: Do you agree with the official answer and explanation
_________________

Never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place - that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have the perseverance to realise the great life. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 58

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Apr 2017
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 53

Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 06:26
OA is A, but can we use because, although together?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 53

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 241

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 576

CAT Tests
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 06:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.

I finally understand why it cannot be E - the sentence is fine till we see the end 'those that' (two pronouns) - so the sentence would read "books in ...last longer.......than books in .....US because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that" - last bit not fitting damage collections in the United States.
We are talking about " the extremes of temperature and humidity that[/u] damage collections" - so that last bit makes sense in A, while the others have weird sentences or E, which has two pronouns ('those that damage collections').

My initial reaction was to strike it due to 'because, although', which usually is not used to together - but here all other options distort meaning (that extremes damage collections)
Really cool question!
Even so, I do request some clarity on because, although usage here - I know its okay to use them far apart in the sentence, but here does it not make the sentence peculiar?
. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that

B. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that - same issue as E

C. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as- how can 'as' damage collections?

D. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as - same as C

E. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that - same as B

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 576

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 413

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 99

Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 22:38
riteshbindal wrote:
Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.

A. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that

B. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that

C. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as

D. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as

E. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that


Loved this SC question.
I was stuck between A & E.
Picked A primarily because the meaning seemed to require the word 'although' to break the flow of the sentence i.e. Books last longer in Europe in the US, because the climate in Europe is fairly humid. This doesn't prime me that a change in direction is coming. -> NOT A RULE. Just my thought.

On the other spectrum, those that sounds weird in E. Those and That both seem to be referring to 'extremities of temperature and humidity' and that makes the sentence construction awkward. That's why I eliminated E.

Any other thoughts?
_________________

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!


Last edited by akshayk on 08 Jul 2017, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 99

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 927

Kudos [?]: 1324 [1], given: 362

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 11:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
Loved this SC question.
I was stuck between A & E.
Picked E primarily because the meaning seemed to require the word 'although' to break the flow of the sentence i.e. Books last longer in Europe in the US, because the climate in Europe is fairly humid. This doesn't prime me that a change in direction is coming. -> NOT A RULE. Just my thought.


Quote:
My initial reaction was to strike it due to 'because, although', which usually is not used to together - but here all other options distort meaning (that extremes damage collections)
Really cool question!
Even so, I do request some clarity on because, although usage here - I know its okay to use them far apart in the sentence, but here does it not make the sentence peculiar?
. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that

I love the enthusiasm, akshayk and Madhavi1990! The GMAT is a whole lot more fun if you can find ways to enjoy the questions. :)

I agree that "because" and "although" sound kind of awkward when they're right next to each other like this. But "sounding awkward" really isn't a crime. (I'd argue that TONS of correct answers on the GMAT sound horrible, but that's a separate rant for another day. :?)

Here's what's going on in this case: the "because" and "although" are serving totally different functions. If we remove the phrase beginning with "although", it would be fine, right?

    Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States because... libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.

No problem: the phrase starting with "because" just explains why books last longer in European libraries.

So what's the "although" doing? Just modifying the phrase that follows it. If we strip out the beginning of the sentence, it's a little bit easier to see how it works:

    ...although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.

So both the "because" and "although" phrases have nice, clear functions in the sentence. They just sound odd when they're right next to each other. But again: "sounding odd" isn't something you should ever worry about.

We also discussed this question in last week's Wednesday chat (July 5), so feel free to check out Vyshak 's transcript for more on this one.

I hope this helps!
_________________

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1324 [1], given: 362

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 684

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 855

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 03:02
B and D – wrong – subject of is different from subjected to. The books are subjected to humid weather or extreme temperatures. Books cannot be subject of humid weather . ‘Those’ doesn’t refer to anything in B.
E and D are wrong. The meaning conveyed is different when you say because the weather is humid in Europe. Although should be used because the author is trying to bring a contrast even though the weather is humid in Europe.
C is wrong. It ends with ‘temperature and humidity as damage collections in the US.’ This sounds awkward and wrong.
Hence answer should be A.
_________________

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 855

Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2017, 03:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 56 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 The cardinals remained in the Sistine Chapel for far longer than the V hazelnut 1 04 Apr 2017, 01:08
3 Although Johannes Brahms lived longer than Beethoven, his collected wo Lucky2783 3 20 May 2016, 00:06
46 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC Laboratory rats and mice live up to 40 percent longer than Dreaming 33 09 Jan 2017, 07:27
2 The library at the state college could have much less books and still Mahmud6 2 06 Jul 2017, 07:20
29 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC Libraries remain valuable repositories of books, fozzzy 22 02 Jul 2017, 20:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Books in European libraries last longer than books in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.