GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth ($$) or Kellogg??

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.65
Booth ($$) or Kellogg??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 12:55
Hi everyone! I am in the fortunate situation of having been accepted into both Booth and Kellogg, and received a partial scholarship from Booth. My plans after are b-school are scoring a job with one of the big 3 consulting firms (hopefully) or potentially going into marketing. I haven't fully decided what I want to do yet, which I guess isn't uncommon. I have always ranked Kellogg at the top of my list because I am looking for a school with a very collaborative culture, but have also been increasingly drawn to Booth. It seems Booth also has a pretty collaborative culture, based on my limited interactions with Boothies. However, I constantly hear the stereotype that Boothies are much less collaborative and fun-loving than Kellogg students.

Ultimately for me, the culture is most important, since both schools are equally prestigious in my mind.

Can anyone comment on this? Or has anyone had to make the decision between the 2 schools?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.58
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Booth ($$) or Kellogg??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 13:07
I'd say head to both schools and decide. I know the admit days overlap, so maybe you can just extend a day or two and ask one or the other admissions office for a guided tour, sit in on classes and the like. There's no better way to get whether the culture is a fit for YOU or not.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Law (Law)

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 06:12
they are rather peer schools and you will definitely achieve your aims at both, so I'd say go with the money unless u particularly feel for Kellogg.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Law (Law)

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 06:12
I realise we have the same admits!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V46

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 07:26
Congrats on the admit! For your goals, it seems that Kellogg is a better fit, however, as for the scholarship you received, it would make Booth a better bang for the buck. There is always a certain aura around certain schools. For instance, Kellogg = collaborative students, Booth = Finance geeks, MIT = Tech nerds. When I visited Kellogg and Booth last year, I actually had better interaction with Booth students. I feel you should pick the school that resonates more with you while also evaluating how much that scholarship means to you. Also, one last thing, if you want to do consulting, you will be competing against your peers as Kellogg sends substantial portion of the graduating class into consulting, whereas, Booth does not send that big percentage into consulting, so perhaps competition might not be as stiff.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 10:09
Often popular opinions of schools lags recruiting from admissions departments, so balance the choice less on popular opinion and more what you see at admit weekend and visiting the school. "Collaborative Culture" at both programs should be fairly strong or they wouldn't be M7, and both place equally well in MBB. Collaborative culture can also have multiple meanings, but maybe you are referring to the effect of urban v. suburban? Anyways don't underplay the value of $$ (scholarship goes on your resume, tend to get included in alumni events, etc., obviously borrowing less). Talk to graduating 2nd years not in the welcome weekend to figure out the worst part of the programs. People here are mostly grasping at reputation.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 04:17
wmay wrote:
I realise we have the same admits!

same
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 13:36
I would pick Booth, if admitted with money. I have also been accepted to Booth but with no money, waiting to hear from kellogg.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 19:55
How much is the scholarship?

There definitely IS a cultural difference between the schools, and it shouldn't be underplayed. A lot of the closed list dinners I went to for recruiting were a mixture of Booth and Kellogg, and the difference in student cultures was palpable.

Booth people like their school for the most part, but they definitely are geekier. If that's your personality, you should have fun there though. Likewise, Kellogg is mostly extroverted people who like to party and socialize 24/7, if that's not you, you may not like it. A lot of self-segregation goes on when people apply/choose among cross-admits.

For the bottom M7 schools (Kellogg, Booth, Columbia, MIT, + Tuck), the recruiting is exactly the same for consulting, so don't worry about that aspect.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Booth ($$) or Kellogg??   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2015, 19:55

Booth ($$) or Kellogg??

new topic post reply Update application status