GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Apr 2020, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth vs Anderson (w/ $$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Booth vs Anderson (w/ $$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 16:45
Hi everyone, just looking for any and all input on a major life decision. Booth is offering me no money and Anderson is offering 60k total in scholarship money. I have worked in IT consulting (in Healthcare) for 4 years and was looking at 1. Management Consulting 2. Technology as my post-MBA careers. Debating salary considerations along with whether or not I want to keep traveling after I graduate.

Looking at employment reports it seems Management Consulting, Finance, and Technology pay the most. I am probably not the best for Finance since I don't have too much of a background in it, which leaves Managment Consulting and Technology. Booth has a better reputation but am I shooting myself in the foot if i choose something else other than Managment Consulting. Anderson due to the proximity of SF Bay Area is probably a little better for that than Booth. Any thoughts?? High paying fields with less travel I could explore/research further? I don't mind long hours, just would like to sleep in my own home a little more than I do right now. Please let me know. March 12th is the deadline for Tuition Deposits.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge
Re: Booth vs Anderson (w/ $$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 16:49
Well, you have one day to decide what you want to do haha. Anderson is good for tech, but horrible for MC (only 12% go into consulting, and only TWO people got BCG last year). If you want MC, you pretty much have to do Booth. If you want to do Tech, go with Anderson. I'll hopefully be in the same boat as you (got $40k from Anderson, waiting on Kellogg/Booth/Duke R2). I want to do MC too, and its going to be tough to justify going to Anderson even with the money.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 21:02
Go to Booth

Getting a good management consulting job at the top tier firms will probably be difficult out of Anderson.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2014, 04:22
Check this link out: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/employmentr ... loyer.aspx

1) As the other posters mentioned, Booth IS the way to go if you want to do MC.
2) Booth grads did quite well with companies such as Amazon, Microsoft, and Apple. (23 total grads accepted offers)
3) Overall looks like 12.3% of the Booth Class (2013) went into the Tech Industry.

I vote Booth.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2014, 09:35
Honestly, it doesn't sound like your heart is in consulting. So if tech is your next target, the difference between Booth and Anderson is probably not huge (as it is in consulting). Obviously I don't know your financial situation, but $60k is, in general, nothing to scoff at. Also consider where you want to spend the next two years - the south side of Chicago is quite different than southern California.

I'm not advocating either school, but those are just a couple things to consider.

I was in a similar situation in deciding between Kellogg and Tepper + $$$. As you can see, I chose Kellogg. Good luck!
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2014, 15:42
Head to Booth if you're serious about doing consulting.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2014, 09:21
The employment reports for both school are available online. Check out the top employers, industry splits, and relative salaries.

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/Documents/ ... Report.pdf
http://www.chicagobooth.edu/employmentr ... Report.pdf

Booth clearly has the edge for consulting. Anderson sends more people to the tech industry. It's hard to say whether this is due to geographic considerations, competition from firms in other industries, self-selection of matriculating candidates, or a combination (likely).

In general, most of the same consulting and tech firms recruit at both schools and your offer for a given firm coming from either school would likely be identical. Most firms that come on-campus at Booth recruit nationally. At least some firms recruiting at Anderson offer less geographic flexibility (i.e. only hire for west-coast offices).

Good arguments on both sides of this one. How important is national brand to you? If the opportunities are similar at both schools, that $60k might loom pretty large in your decision. Perhaps more importantly, have you visited both programs? What feels right to you? There isn't really a bad decision among top-15ish schools.

Congrats and Good Luck!
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2014, 16:33
Mind sharing your decision and thought process?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Booth vs Anderson (w/ $$$)   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2014, 16:33

Booth vs Anderson (w/ $$$)

new topic post reply Update application status