GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth vs. Columbia

new topic post reply Update application status  

Chicago Booth vs. Columbia

• 55% [10]
  • 44% [8]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Booth   Columbia   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Booth vs. Columbia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 06:58
Hello

I've been fortunate to be accepted into both schools. I have a management consulting background (4 yrs before matriculation) but am looking into pursuing a career in finance post MBA. Short-term goal is to get into bulge-bracket IBD with a longer term goal of getting into PE (or VC) because I know it's almost impossible to go straight into buy-side.

Which school will be a better for my goals?

I currently live in NYC and am thinking that moving to a new city for MBA might be a good idea but then being in NYC will also give me good networking opportunities for finance.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Booth vs. Columbia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 07:25
IMO, it really depends on where you want to have your biggest network base. Chicago or NY? Anything outside of H/S/W seem to have the biggest alumni/network in its own region, so you'll get the biggest "bang" for your buck if you're staying in the area of the school. That said, both schools have a national/international reputation as well, so you're not going to be stuck if you decide to move later on.

Want a 6.0 on the AWA?
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.25
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 14:13
tiriqueholmes wrote:
Hello

I've been fortunate to be accepted into both schools. I have a management consulting background (4 yrs before matriculation) but am looking into pursuing a career in finance post MBA. Short-term goal is to get into bulge-bracket IBD with a longer term goal of getting into PE (or VC) because I know it's almost impossible to go straight into buy-side.

Which school will be a better for my goals?

I currently live in NYC and am thinking that moving to a new city for MBA might be a good idea but then being in NYC will also give me good networking opportunities for finance.

You can't go wrong with either.
Any of these schools giving you money? ask if they r not
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Economics
Schools: Booth - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Booth vs. Columbia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2014, 15:04
full disclosure: I attended Booth (R3 applicant) and did not apply to CBS.

I think both schools will give you great opportunities in IB. Booth has great placement (including in NY) and a first rate reputation to boot, too. Virtually anyone in my class who recruited for IB (and was serious about it) got a job. So the opportunities are as good as anywhere and it mostly comes down to your doing your part during the recruiting process.

I would add that business school is a lot more than just your first job - it's a personal journey, a learning experience, a network, and an investment in your future. Considering these might help you make a decision. And one of the best way to get a sense of how much you'd get out of each school is to talk to current students or alumni (and visit both school if you haven't done so). They were in your shoes not so long ago and will give you a real sense of what it's like to attend either school.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 14:50
Congrats both schools can get you to BB ibd. On the margin of you want to do ibd in NYC specifically, Columbia may be slightly better. But both place very well and I think the difference is small enough enough that I'd personally choose based on fit.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Law (Law)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 21:51
Can't go wrong with either options. I would say for NYC BB both place pretty well too. But Booth is usually seen as more academic and quant focussed between the 2 of them. Try ecking some money out of them if you are still undecided and go with whichevr gives you more $$.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Booth vs. Columbia   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2015, 21:51

Booth vs. Columbia

new topic post reply Update application status