GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 21:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth vs. Columbia vs. Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school to attend for investment banking in NYC?

• 19% [5]
  • 57% [15]
  • 23% [6]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Booth vs. Columbia vs. Sloan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Feb 2018, 18:48
Hi, I have fortunately been admitted to the above three schools (assume no tuition $$ for argument's sake) and I am having trouble deciding which to move forward with. I will have had 5 years of work experience in real estate private equity in Hong Kong (boutique shop) and my near term goal is to break into real estate investment banking in NYC following the program. I have Canadian citizenship (no US) and I am a CFA charterholder.

Which out of Booth, CBS and Sloan do you think would best suit my near term goal of breaking into investment banking in NYC? I was able to attend MIT and CBS class visits and was particularly impressed by MIT - unfortunately I have not been able to visit Booth.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

EDIT: Would also like to add that although my near term goal may be US work experience, in the long run I see myself returning to Hong Kong or London therefore international recognition of the school/program is also very important for me. Thanks again!

Originally posted by hhc on 08 Feb 2018, 18:01.
Last edited by hhc on 08 Feb 2018, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Booth vs. Columbia vs. Sloan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 18:27
hhc wrote:
Hi, I have fortunately been admitted to the above three schools (assume no tuition $$ for argument's sake) and I am having trouble deciding which to move forward with. I will have had 5 years of work experience in real estate private equity in Hong Kong (boutique shop) and my near term goal is to break into real estate investment banking in NYC following the program. I have Canadian citizenship (no US) and I am a CFA charterholder.

Which out of Booth, CBS and Sloan do you think would best suit my near term goal of breaking into investment banking in NYC? I was able to attend MIT and CBS class visits and was particularly impressed by MIT - unfortunately I have not been able to visit Booth.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

When you visited both schools MIT and CBS? Have you approached the career service in them? or talked in any current students. Your very particular interest is unusual for them, I think people may say just IB but you target very segment in this industry. if you approached, what info did you get?

Also, where do you want to end up working and living?
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 20:04
i wouldn't consider sloan given your goals. this comes down to booth vs cbs which are more or less equal for nyc banking recruiting so would choose based on fit.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 23:32
jessepinkman wrote:
i wouldn't consider sloan given your goals. this comes down to booth vs cbs which are more or less equal for nyc banking recruiting so would choose based on fit.

Thanks for your feedback - why not MIT? It has a strong reputation in Asia (albeit for its undergrad program) which is why I'm considering it.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 11:22
hhc wrote:
jessepinkman wrote:

Thanks for your feedback - why not MIT? It has a strong reputation in Asia (albeit for its undergrad program) which is why I'm considering it.

Sloan banking placement just isn't on the same level as Booth/CBS
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 19:45
I'm leaning CBS here....strong IBD recruiting, direct access to NYC RE / IBD market for networking and knowledge gathering. Also, Columbia has a strong ivy brand that tends to travel well. Won't be as prominent as MIT in Asia but still probably stronger than Booth

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 19:53
MIT does have a strong reputation in Asia, but Columbia isn't far behind, particularly in financial circles. Now MIT has a particularly strong advantage in China due to its nearly pristine reputation from the school's early and continuing efforts, but it's not in finance, so given your focus of Hong Kong/Finance, I think the choice is clear.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 17:57
Don't discard Sloan on this one. Sloan has a great reputation in Finance (nobel laurettes), and Banks go up there to recruit and there will be little internal competition.
Everyone i know in Sloan who wanted banking got it, and without the hassle of poeple in other business schools who have to go to hundreds of events to get some face time.
In Sloan you pretty much have guaranteed one on one time with alumnis and MDs when they come to campus.
Re: Booth vs. Columbia vs. Sloan &nbs [#permalink] 14 Feb 2018, 17:57

Booth vs. Columbia vs. Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap