Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [44]
Given Kudos: 50
GPA: 3.22
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [18]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: Both England and France were major colonial powers, but unlike the Fre [#permalink]
Kudos
thouch i choose e, i think both c and e are correct.

we need full explanation of c because this is not official.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: Both England and France were major colonial powers, but unlike the Fre [#permalink]
Kudos
DmitryFarber wrote:
thangvietnam MeghaP

Both of your concerns touch on the same issue. The idea is that we are comparing the English and French. Both "that considered" in choice A and "considering" in choice C create essential noun modifiers that change the noun in question from just to French to a particular subset of the French: those who considered their colonies part of France itself.

Consider the differences among these sentences:
Unlike humans breathing air, fish extract oxygen from the water.
Unlike humans who breathe air, fish extract oxygen from the water.
Unlike humans, who breathe air, fish extract oxygen from the water.

In the first two examples, we narrow down humans to a subset: those who breathe air. This is silly, since of course all humans breathe air. We want to compare fish to all humans. Only the third sentence, which uses commas to set off its non-essential modifier (as I am doing right now), correctly compares humans (as opposed to a subset of humans) to fish.

this is great explanation
but. on gmat official question, we never meet a question which test difference between restricted and non restricted ralative clause.

so, this question is out of scope gmat test?

is that right?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SALAKSHYA
Sure, A would work grammatically if it ended in "the French, who considered." It wouldn't have the nice parallelism of E (whereas the French did X, the English did Y), but it wouldn't be flawed.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
mayankgupta01 wrote:
Both England and France were major colonial powers, but unlike the French that considered their colonies part of France itself, the English regarded their territories abroad as separate entities.

Both England and France were major colonial powers, but unlike the French that considered
Similar to England, France was a major colonial power, and whereas the French considered
England and France were major colonial powers, but unlike the French considering
Like England, France was a major colonial power too, and whereas the French consider
Like England, France was a major colonial power, but whereas the French considered

Answer will be (E) because it uses correct idiomatic form -

1. Like x , y

2. Consider x, y

Further (E) has maintains parallelism

Like England, France was a major colonial power, but whereas the French considered their colonies part of France itself, the English regarded their territories abroad as separate entities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
We need the word "but" to contrast the first part of the sentence (which describes a similarity) with the second part (which describes a difference). B and D are out.

A is wrong because we don't want to compare the English to "the French that considered their colonies part of France itself." We want to compare the English to the French. If we changed "that" to "who," and used a comma to separate, we would have a non-essential modifier and the sentence would be just fine. (" . . . but unlike the French, who considered . . . itself, the English . . . )

C is out because we don't want to compare the English to "the French considering . . . " Again, this kind of essential, or restrictive modifier, adds to the noun to make a more specific comparison. For instance, if I say "People considering an mba should study for the GMAT," I'm talking only about people who are considering an mba, not people in general.

That leaves E, which is the only choice that compares the countries correctly and contrasts the two clauses with "but."

I eliminated A just because i felt 'who' should be used to describe French (people) and 'that' here is incorrect. Also 'that' acts as a restrictive clause which does not make sense here. - is this reasoning correct?

Can you please also explain how using 'that' shifts the comparison from between 'French and English' to between 'English to "the French that considered their colonies part of France"'?

Thank you.!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
thangvietnam MeghaP

Both of your concerns touch on the same issue. The idea is that we are comparing the English and French. Both "that considered" in choice A and "considering" in choice C create essential noun modifiers that change the noun in question from just to French to a particular subset of the French: those who considered their colonies part of France itself.

In the first two examples, we narrow down humans to a subset: those who breathe air. This is silly, since of course all humans breathe air. We want to compare fish to all humans. Only the third sentence, which uses commas to set off its non-essential modifier (as I am doing right now), correctly compares humans (as opposed to a subset of humans) to fish.

Crystal clear. Thank you for the great explanation.!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
We need the word "but" to contrast the first part of the sentence (which describes a similarity) with the second part (which describes a difference). B and D are out.

A is wrong because we don't want to compare the English to "the French that considered their colonies part of France itself." We want to compare the English to the French. If we changed "that" to "who," and used a comma to separate, we would have a non-essential modifier and the sentence would be just fine. (" . . . but unlike the French, who considered . . . itself, the English . . . )

C is out because we don't want to compare the English to "the French considering . . . " Again, this kind of essential, or restrictive modifier, adds to the noun to make a more specific comparison. For instance, if I say "People considering an mba should study for the GMAT," I'm talking only about people who are considering an mba, not people in general.

That leaves E, which is the only choice that compares the countries correctly and contrasts the two clauses with "but."

Sir,
In answer choice A, French means french people,and as GMAT doesn't allow "that" referring to people,can we eliminate A on that basis?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
techiesam wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:

Sir,
In answer choice A, French means french people,and as GMAT doesn't allow "that" referring to people,can we eliminate A on that basis?

Yes, that would be a valid reason for eliminating A.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Agreed on A. "That" should not modify people.

@thanvietnam, it's true that the GMAT doesn't use the essential/non-essential distinction often, but they have certainly tested it on occasion. In general, it would be very hard to establish that something is never tested.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Only E has the right idiomatic form (Like X Y) and maintains //ism. It is the right answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
I think that
"who" is essential modifier. we do not use "that" for person
"comma+who" is non essential modifier
"that" is essential modifier
"comma+which" is non essential modifier.

is that right? pls, confirm. thank you for great explanation of experts.
DmitryFarber wrote:
thangvietnam MeghaP

can this mean that if nonrestrictive modifier were used instead of restrictive modifier (that in this case) , option A would have been correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:

Hi DmitryFarber,

Thanks for your inputs.

Its slightly late to post a query, still...

Except in option A, the subordinate clause in none of the options starting with "but" form an independent clause, thus creating a comma splice error. Please let me know if I am correct in my observation. Though I agree that option A changes the intended meaning as u have explained, still I had to go ahead with A as none of the other options were correct grammatically.

Please let me know your take on this.

Thanks in advance.
VJ
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts