It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2014
Posts: 26
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 05:05
quasar66 wrote:
Hi..

The "drastic" case is amusing. The stem mentions that the number of movies slated to be launched for second half is equal to the number already launched, and hence, is > 0, and unless these movies produce negative revenue (somewhat drastic, indeed) the accumulated total is going to rise.

In my humble opinion, the solution should be A.

Let's assume that there is indeed a drastic possibility of the so called OA being incorrect ... :)
Cheers,
Q



Dear quasar66,

A. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year.

What information is given in the question:
Number of tickets sold for the first half: x
Number of tickets sold for last year: Y

X= 1.2Y

Let's assume Y = 100000
Then X = 120000

In the next half of the year let's assume total tickets sold = 500(Because all the movies sucked, not drastic but quite possible)

Total Sales this year = 120500
Total Sales last year = 100000

Are sales this year SIGNIFICANTLY greater than 20% of last year's sales : Atleast not according to me.

Do let me know in the same humble opinion if there's anything wrong in this reasoning.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1269
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 04:20
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fahadathar82 wrote:
paandey wrote:

Hey,

It cannot be D since we cannot predict the revenue here as you don't know if the price of the receipts have been kept same or increased or decreased. Here the author talks about increased number of receipts which can only point to higher number of viewers. So it should be E.



Can any one clear the above reasoning. since we can not assume the price of the receipt, how D is correct? :roll:


In this case "receipts" means "total turnover", not "tickets".
So we have bigger turnover. But we don't know reasons of this effect: maybe more customers, maybe higher price per ticket.
But we know that turnover of last year already less than turnover of this year.
In D we see "average per movie" comparison, so D it's correct answer.

Quote:
Collins Cobuild vocabulary:
2) Receipts are the amount of money received during a particular period, for example by a shop or theatre.

_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2014
Posts: 26
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 04:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
Harley1980 wrote:
fahadathar82 wrote:
paandey wrote:

Hey,

It cannot be D since we cannot predict the revenue here as you don't know if the price of the receipts have been kept same or increased or decreased. Here the author talks about increased number of receipts which can only point to higher number of viewers. So it should be E.



Can any one clear the above reasoning. since we can not assume the price of the receipt, how D is correct? :roll:


In this case "receipts" means "total turnover", not "tickets".
So we have bigger turnover. But we don't know reasons of this effect: maybe more customers, maybe higher price per ticket.
But we know that turnover of last year already less than turnover of this year.
In D we see "average per movie" comparison, so D it's correct answer.

Quote:
Collins Cobuild vocabulary:
2) Receipts are the amount of money received during a particular period, for example by a shop or theatre.



Dear Cobuild,

Thanks for the much required clarification. But do you think such ambiguous question could actually be there during the actual exam ? Or was it just me for who the meaning of Receipts was not clear ?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1269
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 05:28
paandey wrote:
Dear Cobuild,

Thanks for the much required clarification. But do you think such ambiguous question could actually be there during the actual exam ? Or was it just me for who the meaning of Receipts was not clear ?


I read like 3 or 4 debriefs from people with top GMAT score and they told that sometimes Verbal questions from Manhattan GMAT a little strange.
So maybe this is such case.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1269
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 05:33
I have one idea why E is a weak answer. Even if you don't know meaning of word receipts.

In E we can see "The number of people ... is greater"
But we don't know nothing about number of people and theoretically possible that number of tickets grow but number of people no. For example: people going on the same movies two times. It's weird, but it's possible.

This is inference question, so our answer MUST be true, and this is why D better than E.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 298
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 20:50
Hi Paandey,

I like your apporach. I shortlisted A and D and from them I picked A. I am not sure what is wrong with A. Please educate me what exactly is wrong with A.

paandey wrote:
quasar66 wrote:
Hi..

The "drastic" case is amusing. The stem mentions that the number of movies slated to be launched for second half is equal to the number already launched, and hence, is > 0, and unless these movies produce negative revenue (somewhat drastic, indeed) the accumulated total is going to rise.

In my humble opinion, the solution should be A.

Let's assume that there is indeed a drastic possibility of the so called OA being incorrect ... :)
Cheers,
Q



Dear quasar66,

A. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year.

What information is given in the question:
Number of tickets sold for the first half: x
Number of tickets sold for last year: Y

X= 1.2Y

Let's assume Y = 100000
Then X = 120000

In the next half of the year let's assume total tickets sold = 500(Because all the movies sucked, not drastic but quite possible)

Total Sales this year = 120500
Total Sales last year = 100000

Are sales this year SIGNIFICANTLY greater than 20% of last year's sales : Atleast not according to me.

Do let me know in the same humble opinion if there's anything wrong in this reasoning.

_________________

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 05:17
shriramvelamuri and others

Aside from the fact that A states that box office revenues will be "significantly greater" than the 20% without defining "significant", the questions is "which of the following must be true".

This means that you have to take all edge cases into account. If the independent movies slated for release don't generate any sales, or all of the movies that were slated for release are not released this year, then the increase in revenues will not be "significantly" greater than 20% year over year.

As to why D is correct, the answer states that "average revenue" for the independent films released the first part of this year is greater than the average revenue for all films last year. I'll put this in math:

total revenue = average revenue * number of movies
last year: R = X * 50
X = 1/50 * R
this year: 1.2R = Y * 20
Y = 3/50 * R

Therefore Y (the average revenue for films so far this year) must be greater than X (the average revenue for films last year)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 26
GPA: 3.96
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 22:54
Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

A) The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year.

B) The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.

C) The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.

D) The average receipts for the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.

E) The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.

Pre think step-We can set up the equation as Average Receipts(Total B.O Receipts/Total no.of movies) is greater this year than compared to last year considering the data given.

A-This choice may be true since it has been mentioned in the argument that B.O receipts for IM is greater than 20% in first half of this year as compared to total receipts of last year however,it must not be true since in the second half the trend may go up or go down.Hence incorrect
B-We cannot logically infer this since the number of independent movies released in first half of last year has not been mentioned in the argument.It only states that total 50 movies released last year without giving its breakdown.
C-Price factor has also not been discussed in the argument.It may be true that price has increased this year as compared to last year however we cannot conclusively infer the same.
D-Similar to our pre think step hence correct
E-The number of people seeing the IM has not been stated hence we cannot infer it logically
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 119
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 08:30
daviesj wrote:
I also thought the same as Archit did... I narrowed down my answer to D and E... Increase in the number of reciepts might be due to people watching those muvies again n again...so statement E is of 'could be true' type....and hence winner ir D all the way...:)

Posted from my mobile device




there may be huge difference in the prices in two year and no of people may vary by only one or by 1000000 making a colud be true option D.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2723
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2016, 18:29
arichinna wrote:
Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

1. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year
2. The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.
3. The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.
4. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.
5. The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.


20movies in first half made more money than 50movies last year.
D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Apr 2013
Posts: 290
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 01:38
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!
_________________

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2016
Posts: 60
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 10:01
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 12:50
ShashankDave wrote:
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!


ravikrishna1979 wrote:
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"


1. Box office means ticket counter where movie tickets are sold. Box offices receive money by selling movie tickets; they do not receive invoices by selling tickets.
2. Box office receipt is not same as movie-viewer receipt (ShashankDave your point no. 2). Movie-viewer receipt could be tickets, though it is a very odd term for the purpose.
3. Food stalls are not box offices (ShashankDave your point no. 3).

The usage of "receipt" is not ambiguous in this context - box office receipt clearly implies the money received by selling tickets.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Sep 2015
Posts: 73
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 20:28
The text tells us that the revenues for independent movies for the first have of this year are already greater than the total revenues for independent movies for all of last year.

A - There is no way to predict box-office receipts for the year.
D - The average revenue per film = total revenues ÷ number of films. Correct
C - We cannot infer that the price of a movie ticket has not increased.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 10:57
sayantanc2k wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!


ravikrishna1979 wrote:
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"


1. Box office means ticket counter where movie tickets are sold. Box offices receive money by selling movie tickets; they do not receive invoices by selling tickets.
2. Box office receipt is not same as movie-viewer receipt (ShashankDave your point no. 2). Movie-viewer receipt could be tickets, though it is a very odd term for the purpose.
3. Food stalls are not box offices (ShashankDave your point no. 3).

The usage of "receipt" is not ambiguous in this context - box office receipt clearly implies the money received by selling tickets.




Last year box office receipt rate was $5 and this year, because of X reason it has dropped and is current placed at $1 per receipt. Still you believe, D holds good... Need an expert advice.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3065
Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 22:58
gandhigauravz wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!


ravikrishna1979 wrote:
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"


1. Box office means ticket counter where movie tickets are sold. Box offices receive money by selling movie tickets; they do not receive invoices by selling tickets.
2. Box office receipt is not same as movie-viewer receipt (ShashankDave your point no. 2). Movie-viewer receipt could be tickets, though it is a very odd term for the purpose.
3. Food stalls are not box offices (ShashankDave your point no. 3).

The usage of "receipt" is not ambiguous in this context - box office receipt clearly implies the money received by selling tickets.




Last year box office receipt rate was $5 and this year, because of X reason it has dropped and is current placed at $1 per receipt. Still you believe, D holds good... Need an expert advice.


Two things here :
1. We are given that 1st half of the year has 20% greater receipts. Hence, we are concerned only with the 1st half of this year. So, your point for the whole year is invalid.
2. If we are given that this year in the first half, it is greater, we cannot deny the fact and we have to answer accordingly. So, D is the BEST answer as per the premises given.
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?


How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 01:32
gandhigauravz wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!


ravikrishna1979 wrote:
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"


1. Box office means ticket counter where movie tickets are sold. Box offices receive money by selling movie tickets; they do not receive invoices by selling tickets.
2. Box office receipt is not same as movie-viewer receipt (ShashankDave your point no. 2). Movie-viewer receipt could be tickets, though it is a very odd term for the purpose.
3. Food stalls are not box offices (ShashankDave your point no. 3).

The usage of "receipt" is not ambiguous in this context - box office receipt clearly implies the money received by selling tickets.




Last year box office receipt rate was $5 and this year, because of X reason it has dropped and is current placed at $1 per receipt. Still you believe, D holds good... Need an expert advice.


The rate or the number of tickets sold does not matter at all. Following is the argument structure for this question:

Premise: X is 20% more than Y.
Conclusion: X is greater than Y

(Yes, it is so straight-forward.)

First line of the passage is the premise and option D is the conclusion - "receipt" and "revenues" are synonymous.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Posts: 6
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 04:11
pqhai wrote:
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year.
Fact: Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released.
Fact: The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

Question: If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true? <== This is MUST BE TRUE question, so NO "new" information accepted.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

1. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year
Wrong. TEMPTING. We just know data of the FIRST half of this year. What if total receipt in the first half is more than 20%, but will decrease significantly in the second half? ==> We can't say total receipts this year will be significantly 20% greater than that of last year. A can't be answer.

2. The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.
Wrong. Absolutely wrong, we don't know how many films were released in the first half of last year.

3. The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.
Wrong. Nothing about the price. Out of scope.

4. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.
Correct. Assume prices do not change significantly. In the first half, total receipts is 20% more than that of total last year. But the number of film released is fewer (20 vs. 50) ==> Clearly, average revenue of each film in the first half of this year is greater than that of film released last year.

5. The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Wrong. Nothing about number of people. Out of scope.

Hope it helps


Why we should assume that price is constant, we are not bound to assume. Answer D must b wrong therefore. Moreover if you assume that then C is also correct. From my opinion A should be correct. E may b wrong because same person might come multiple times and have multiple receipts. So A is final answer.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 08:17
afarrukh786 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year.
Fact: Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released.
Fact: The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

Question: If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true? <== This is MUST BE TRUE question, so NO "new" information accepted.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

1. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year
Wrong. TEMPTING. We just know data of the FIRST half of this year. What if total receipt in the first half is more than 20%, but will decrease significantly in the second half? ==> We can't say total receipts this year will be significantly 20% greater than that of last year. A can't be answer.

2. The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.
Wrong. Absolutely wrong, we don't know how many films were released in the first half of last year.

3. The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.
Wrong. Nothing about the price. Out of scope.

4. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.
Correct. Assume prices do not change significantly. In the first half, total receipts is 20% more than that of total last year. But the number of film released is fewer (20 vs. 50) ==> Clearly, average revenue of each film in the first half of this year is greater than that of film released last year.

5. The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Wrong. Nothing about number of people. Out of scope.

Hope it helps


Why we should assume that price is constant, we are not bound to assume. Answer D must b wrong therefore. Moreover if you assume that then C is also correct. From my opinion A should be correct. E may b wrong because same person might come multiple times and have multiple receipts. So A is final answer.


Have you read the post?

box-office-receipts-for-independent-movies-for-the-first-156008.html#p1736699

Answer D is one of the most straight forward conclusions you can draw - no assumptions are required whatsoever.

If the total of elements in set X is more than the total of elements in set Y, then the average of the elements in set X is also greater than the average of the elements on set Y ( because it is already given that the no. of elements in set X is less than the number of elements in set Y). Here set X = set of independent movies this year and Y = set of independent movies last year.

Option A is incorrect because nothing has been mentioned about the sales in the rest of the year - there could be no more receipt from independent movies at all.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 01 Dec 2016
Posts: 122
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 00:59
"Box Office Receipts" ...What does it mean?
You have to an adept of movies to guess the intended meaning.
Lol...
_________________

What was previously considered impossible is now obvious reality.
In the past, people used to open doors with their hands. Today, doors open "by magic" when people approach them

Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2017, 00:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 45 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.