It is currently 26 Jun 2017, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: UWC
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 394
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2012, 10:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:58) correct 50% (00:53) wrong based on 559 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs not usually employed by fine artists.

A. because it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs

B. because it is formed of materials like knickknacks and cast-offs that are

C. because it is formed of materials, like knickknacks and cast-offs, materials

D. in that its formation, materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs, is

E. in that it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs, materials
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by macjas on 27 May 2012, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3972
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2012, 12:11
3
This post received
KUDOS
Is D the correct answer? I am afraid not. It must be a typo; D is a total distortion of original meaning saying the art itself is not used by the artists. In addition, the modifier phrase -materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs - stands aloof without being able to modify anything.

Actually this is good topic and it is testing whether a sentence is structured giving due importance to the various parts. Here the question is what is not usually used by the artists or what the phrase -not usually employed by fine artists- is modifying. Is it the materials or the examples? If you say that the examples are the ones the modifier modifies, then we are restricting the modifier to just those two items. In fact, it is a lot more number of materials including among them the two examples that these artists do not usually employ. The original falls into this sly trap. Whereas E cleverly overcomes the pitfall, by employing a resumptive modifier- namely materials, to remind us that it is the materials that are being in fact modified rather than just the examples alone. Therefore, E must be the correct choice.

Of course, B, C are dropped for using like to describe examples.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10158
Premium Member
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 10:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: single
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Posts: 95
Location: India
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 20:31
Among Options
D is out its formation is
we use such as for examples not like
B and C is Out.


Between A and E
A is run on sentence that is such as knickknacks and castoffs not usually employed
Option E is corect.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10158
Premium Member
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 06:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 96
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 04:56
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In Gmat "In that"> "because" ( preference wise)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 27
CAT Tests
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 02:28
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs not usually employed by fine artists.


A) because it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs


B) because it is formed of materials like knickknacks and cast-offs that are


C) because it is formed of materials, like knickknacks and cast-offs, materials


D) in that its formation, materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs, is


E) in that it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs, materials

Magoosh can you help between option A and E

Last edited by nguyendinhtuong on 20 Jun 2017, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Mar 2017
Posts: 34
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 02:52
I think it's A. We can consider 'such as ...Cast offs 'a modifier and hence can decide between A and E

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jan 2015
Posts: 6
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GPA: 3.9
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 02:56
When we want give examples, like must not be used. Correct usage is such as, so it's A or E or D. D makes no sense in terms of meaning so A or E. A feels like a long run on sentence to me. I'd go with E.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 27
CAT Tests
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 03:47
BeingHan wrote:
I think it's A. We can consider 'such as ...Cast offs 'a modifier and hence can decide between A and E

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


The reasoning i got from the source guide was- In option A the "not usually employed ..." modifies cast off instead of materials. But in my understanding a noun modifier touch rule can be separated from its actual noun in following cases-
1- when appositive phrase is used ( noun phrase modifying a noun)
2- small prepositional phrases and example phrases ( eg. the use of such as in the given question)
3- When a restrictive modifier is placed between -noun and non restrictive modifier. ( restrictive = vital or essential modifier )

And hence I chose A, as the option E seems to be weird (" in that ").
egmat please help.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 27
CAT Tests
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 03:50
shrewd1 wrote:
When we want give examples, like must not be used. Correct usage is such as, so it's A or E or D. D makes no sense in terms of meaning so A or E. A feels like a long run on sentence to me. I'd go with E.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Problem with E was the use of "In that it is"- it sounds funny.

if you have come across any such question where "In that" and "Because" were being tested. Please share, it would be really helpful.
Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3972
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 08:22
2
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
1. A GMAT Prep question - The OA is D.

The parachute-like membranes of Africa’s scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Sciuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

A. because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of
B. because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at
C. in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at
D. in that they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at
E. in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

2. An OG question- the OA is E.
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

(A) because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone
(B) because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are
(C) because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues
(D) in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is
(E) in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues

_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 403
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 08:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
pulkitaggi wrote:
Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs not usually employed by fine artists.


A) because it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs


B) because it is formed of materials like knickknacks and cast-offs that are


C) because it is formed of materials, like knickknacks and cast-offs, materials


D) in that its formation, materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs, is


E) in that it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs, materials


Between A and E ..

A is not clear , The placement of "not usually employed by fine artists" seems wrong.
i think ,
it is formed of materials ,such as knickknacks and cast-offs,[/b][/u] not usually employed by fine artists.--comma before and after "such as" would have made it clearer......


E is fine ..in that is ok ..materials not usually employed by fine artists--absolute phrase...
E is better and clear than B
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 27
CAT Tests
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 10:54
daagh wrote:
1. A GMAT Prep question - The OA is D.

The parachute-like membranes of Africa’s scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Sciuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

A. because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of
B. because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at
C. in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at
D. in that they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at
E. in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

2. An OG question- the OA is E.
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

(A) because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone
(B) because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are
(C) because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues
(D) in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is
(E) in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues


Dear Sir,

Many thanks for the examples. Though I am able to understand why the answer to the first example is D. ( And now I am able to make my peace with "In that", really thanks), the second example is same as the question in the first place. How E is better than A?

The reasoning i got from the source guide was- In option A the "not usually employed ..." modifies cast off instead of materials. But in my understanding a noun modifier touch rule can be separated from its actual noun in following cases-
1- when appositive phrase is used ( noun phrase modifying a noun)
2- small prepositional phrases and example phrases ( eg. the use of such as in the given question)
3- When a restrictive modifier is placed between -noun and non restrictive modifier. ( restrictive = vital or essential modifier )

Or is it because in the option A meaning changes? Now as I am reading i am finding USE OF BECAUSE wrong. ( The better use of Because would have been- "He said that teratomas are unusual form of cancer because ...."- He stated a fact because he was aware of the fact that teratomas are composed of tissues such ....)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 27
CAT Tests
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 11:11
sobby wrote:
pulkitaggi wrote:
Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs not usually employed by fine artists.


A) because it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs


B) because it is formed of materials like knickknacks and cast-offs that are


C) because it is formed of materials, like knickknacks and cast-offs, materials


D) in that its formation, materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs, is


E) in that it is formed of materials such as knickknacks and cast-offs, materials


Between A and E ..

A is not clear , The placement of "not usually employed by fine artists" seems wrong.
i think ,
it is formed of materials ,such as knickknacks and cast-offs,[/b][/u] not usually employed by fine artists.--comma before and after "such as" would have made it clearer......


E is fine ..in that is ok ..materials not usually employed by fine artists--absolute phrase...
E is better and clear than B


I am able to see what you are saying. The use of THOSE ARE after cast-off might make the sentence better ( using a demonstrative ).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 316
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Premium Member
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 17:52
E is correct; it is absolute phrase.
B and C are wrong.
D is out because of "its", also, the meaning has changed from "materials" to "formations"
A is no good
Re: Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2017, 17:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed pulkitaggi 0 20 Jun 2017, 17:52
9 Because of the increase in exposure to innovative forms of education, reto 5 29 Oct 2015, 18:39
5 Bricolage is an unusual art form anceer 2 03 Jul 2014, 09:01
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are gauravnagpal 0 31 Mar 2017, 20:08
55 Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are smashingpumpkins 66 31 Mar 2017, 20:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.