GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 01:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE: Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 10:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:02) correct 47% (01:02) wrong based on 326 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

(A) Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

(B) That which brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were help from financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and lecturing around the world.

(C) What brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house was help from financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

(D) What brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were help from financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

(E) Financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house and he also toured around the world lecturing.

Source : Global Expert

-Yuvaraj
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Stop searching someone to motivate you.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 11:22
Hi,
Answer is C since it sounds grammatically correct.
For more understanding, check out this link for a detailed explanation of this question's answer -
https://youtu.be/E252Mm9O6y4

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Re: Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 12:43
Between C and D. Picked D because I wasn’t paying attention, but C is the correct answer because C has the singular subject “help”, which matches with the singular verb “was”.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '19 (I)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 23:22
Please explain why "D" is incorrect I am still convinced that it should be "were"
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 22:58
imyuva wrote:
Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

(A) Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

(B) That which brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were help from financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and lecturing around the world.

(C) What brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house was help from financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

(D) [highlight]What brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were help from financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

(E) Financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house and he also toured around the world lecturing.

I think as two subject are attached by conjunction like "and", the verb should be plural. Answer should be "D"
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 07:03
asitsahu26 wrote:
imyuva wrote:

(D) [highlight]What brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were help from financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

I think as two subject are attached by conjunction like "and", the verb should be plural. Answer should be "D"

Thank you for pointing out, but you are not completely correct - two OBJECTS are joined with "and", not two subjects.

The subject is "What brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house". This is an example of a nominal clause used as a subject. However this nominal clause is plural because it refers to two objects ("help" and "tour"). Hence the verb must be plural (as you mentioned).

OA changed to D.
Manager
Manager
S
Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 13:59
Inverting the original sentence clearly shows a plural subject as two action doers are joined by conjunction 'and'.

Hence, this sentence takes a plural verb.

So, correct answer is choice D
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V25
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V36
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 00:18
The question stem doesn't mention any help from the financier friend. However, the correct answer does. Does that not change the meaning of the sentence ?

Also, please guide whether to agree "was/were" with the subject "what" or with the objects "tour" and "help".
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 06:28
Hi,

Can you please suggest on the OA for this question.

According to Experts Global the OA is C.

But I think the OA should be D.

abhimahna mikemcgarry VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo chetan2u RonPurewal DmitryFarber

Experts please throw some light here. were is plural and agrees with the plural subject ( financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour).

imyuva wrote:

(D) What brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were help from financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

Regards,
Adi

Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 06:59
IMO Answer should be D.

D)
What brought Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all his investments in his publishing house were help from financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour.

Plural verb agrees with plural subject.

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 00:32
Adi93 wrote:
Hi,

Can you please suggest on the OA for this question.

According to Experts Global the OA is C.

But I think the OA should be D.

Experts please throw some light here. were is plural and agrees with the plural subject ( financier friend Henry Huttleston Rogers and an around-the-world lecture tour).

Hey Adi93 ,

As confirmed by our Verbal Expert sayantanc2k , OA answer has to be D. You are joining two objects using "and", hence using "was" in option C is incorrect.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all &nbs [#permalink] 17 May 2018, 00:32

Bringing Mark Twain out from his financial troubles after losing all

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap