Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
Current Student
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
Re: BSchool App- Why am I expected to disclose ? [#permalink]
Kudos
I hear you. Responding to some of those question felt like getting poked with a stick.

I didn't mind the parent's college. I know it's just one random data point but if your parents both went to harvard, it's most likely (not def) that you had a certain type of upbringing. For better or for worse, I don't know. I just told them where my Mom went.

As for other schools, I hated responding to that one. I felt that I may not get in to my reach school (correct so far) and that my target schools wouldn't take me because they thought I may go somewhere else. It sucked but I responded truthfully and it didn't keep me out.

I figure it's best to just lay it out there. They know most people don't apply to one school. This process can be real random and unless you are perfect (and even if you are) you never know if you will get into school X so you need a back up plan. Schools won't hold it against you for being practical.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
My understanding was that they see which schools you've sent the score report to-doesn't that kind of tip them off about which schools you either applied to or were thinking about applying to?

I applied to 7 schools in R1 and because I was staffed on a project that had me out of town/busy when 4 of them were due-I had all my score reports ordered for every school I was applying to in R1 & R2 by Wharton's deadline. Because I was under the impression that the schools with the later deadlines were definitely going to see that I had scores sent to multiple institutions, I just declared every school I had applied to.

As far as the phone numbers/addresses go-Carnegie Mellon sent me a "You will be subject to a background check conducted by a private company" notice once I got in. Perhaps they gather the information ahead of time so they don't have to ask you later. And in terms of listing all your employers-my assumpton was that they are checking to see career progression and whether you can demonstrate job growth and promotion (I think it's also somewhat reflective of a pattern of decision-making). I definitely wrote up all my previous employers, mainly because I had a unique work history that tied directly into my goals essay. It's a very tedious process, so I recommend keeping the information catalogued on a seperate word file so you don't have to do the address/telephone no./where did I work again dance every single time. Also, it was important to me to show that I was working because my job history is longer than the average candidate (I've been out of undergrad for 10 years). So only putting 1 or 2 jobs leaves out years and years of work history for me.

The only school for which I raised an eyebrow was Tepper and that's because they wanted a seperate word file uploaded showing al my salary history and job promotions back to high school. And considering my age, that's a lot of stuff to fill out, half of which I don't remember. But I tried my best and I guess they were fine with what I submitted because I ended up being accepted and offered a scholarship.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Kudos
I think it's for yield purposes.

rhyme wrote:
The question about where else you are applying is just for reporting purposes internally, to better understand who their peer schools are, and build statistics.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks you everyone who responded. I guess I am going to tow the line hereon. ( And then we accuse MBAs of herd mentality)

Mufflebrown, I wanted to clarify that schools do not get to see other schools that you sent your score to. I know this because I have clarified with GMAC (the GMAT testing agency). They only get the first page of the candidate score report copy which has the profile info you chose to disclose at the test center, the scores percentiles etc etc.

I have no objections to a background check once I get in. And and I agree that it is fair. Thanks for warning me about Tepper. I am considering starting and application and knowing what to expect prepares you. Like you, I have been out of undergrad for very long too.

muffeebrown wrote:
My understanding was that they see which schools you've sent the score report to-doesn't that kind of tip them off about which schools you either applied to or were thinking about applying to?

I applied to 7 schools in R1 and because I was staffed on a project that had me out of town/busy when 4 of them were due-I had all my score reports ordered for every school I was applying to in R1 & R2 by Wharton's deadline. Because I was under the impression that the schools with the later deadlines were definitely going to see that I had scores sent to multiple institutions, I just declared every school I had applied to.

As far as the phone numbers/addresses go-Carnegie Mellon sent me a "You will be subject to a background check conducted by a private company" notice once I got in. Perhaps they gather the information ahead of time so they don't have to ask you later. And in terms of listing all your employers-my assumpton was that they are checking to see career progression and whether you can demonstrate job growth and promotion (I think it's also somewhat reflective of a pattern of decision-making). I definitely wrote up all my previous employers, mainly because I had a unique work history that tied directly into my goals essay. It's a very tedious process, so I recommend keeping the information catalogued on a seperate word file so you don't have to do the address/telephone no./where did I work again dance every single time. Also, it was important to me to show that I was working because my job history is longer than the average candidate (I've been out of undergrad for 10 years). So only putting 1 or 2 jobs leaves out years and years of work history for me.

The only school for which I raised an eyebrow was Tepper and that's because they wanted a seperate word file uploaded showing al my salary history and job promotions back to high school. And considering my age, that's a lot of stuff to fill out, half of which I don't remember. But I tried my best and I guess they were fine with what I submitted because I ended up being accepted and offered a scholarship.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Is this Tepper? I remember them asking a boatload of questions.

I answered them all, and I know which university my mom attended.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A) I don't think answering or not answering this will cause you any harm. I was honest, the way I see it, if I really want to have a relationship with a school, I might as well be honest from the start. I actually had an adcom interviewer bring up my choice of schools and comment that my selection showed I had done my homework and that it showed my interest in a certain "type" of school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
well, maybe I need to point out that
1) I am an international. My parents live in a different country. Infact most of my experience is from a foreign country
2) I have largely had a stable career with no part time jobs.

And that I have chosen to not tell school any of the above, so far. Is this the reason my interview calls didn't come through :shock: :evil:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
I totally agree with you, but I'm sure they have their reasons for asking those questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1496 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg
 Q50  V45
Send PM
I think it was a tactical mistake to not answer these questions. Answering the questions is unlikely to hurt you. Not answering the questions certainly won't help matters and could possibly hurt your chances. The first choice has virtually zero downside. The second choice has no upside and only downside potential. The right choice is clear.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
slingfox wrote:
I think it was a tactical mistake to not answer these questions. Answering the questions is unlikely to hurt you. Not answering the questions certainly won't help matters and could possibly hurt your chances. The first choice has virtually zero downside. The second choice has no upside and only downside potential. The right choice is clear.

Perhaps for the parents' education/employment. However, the previous posters are arguing that answering the "what other schools are you applying to" question honestly and completely could have significant downside risk.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
The question about where else you are applying is just for reporting purposes internally, to better understand who their peer schools are, and build statistics.
GMAT Club Bot