Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [112]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [38]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [5]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V36
Send PM
Re: Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a conside [#permalink]
Kudos
A is essential to the argument, but so is B. How did you eliminate B? If the capacities of astronauts are NOT typical of those of ordinary human beings, then how can the argument "about the limits human capacities to live in spacecraft " still stand? Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a conside [#permalink]
Kudos
CharuKapoor wrote:
Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a considerable time, is essential even if the space station project were to contribute no new knowledge about space or Earth that could not otherwise be obtained. For future missions to explore Mars, we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time.

The argument makes the assumption that

(A) the exploration of Mars will be carried out by people travelling in spacecraft and not by robots alone.
(B) the capacities of astronauts are typical of those of ordinary human beings
(C) no unforeseen medical problems will arise on the first mission to explore mars
(D) a mission to Mars will be the first of many missions that will explore the solar system
(E) living in spaceship for an extended time presents insurmountable medical problems

OA after some discussion

Between A and B. In my opinion both have potential to be viable assumptions, but were A to be true the entire argument would fall. Let's look at B If astronauts have greater capabilities than those of humans then it is very likely that the medical knowlodge the machines installed at the space station will gather is be tailored and aimed at astronauts' capabilites; If machines were taught to gather and test data relative to ordinary human beings- knowing that astronauts are trained to endure harsher environments- that would result in both a waste of time and a splurge of money.

On the other hand, reversing A future space missions would be carried by robots; bankrolling the space station would be a splurge, since robots are not very likely going to be affected in the same way as humans.

the answer is A. Not easy though.

hope it helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [2]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
A
negate A- if only robots were to travel in spacecraft alone, then we will NOT need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time.
The conclusion fell apart.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 556 [2]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Kudos
Again the egmat's falsification test at rescue :please

Premise: The space station will provide us medical knowledge.
Conclusion: That medical knowledge would be essential when we'll go to Mars in future.

Falsification question: In what scenario, the medical knowledge wouldn't be essential when we'll go to Mars in future.
Given that: We're building a space station without much benefits.

Falsification scenarios: I could think of one scenarios in which the knowledge would be useless
- If the conditions on space stations won't imitate with the conditions on Mars.

Assumption:
- The conditions of space stations on Earth is similar to the space ships which will be sent to Mars

Although the above assumption was nowhere present in the options but this gave me a context about what lines I should be thinking on
Going through the question choices:

(A) the exploration of Mars will be carried out by people traveling in spacecraft and not by robots alone - Initially I thought this to be a little out of context but then realise it has something to do with medical knowledge. If robots are going to Mars, we won't even need the medical knowledge and the negation of this condition will completely break the conclusion. I'll keep this for now.
(B) the capacities of astronauts are typical of those of ordinary human beings - I don't know why capacity relates here. Astronauts are normal human beings which are trained to become astronauts. This has nothing to do with medical knowledge
(C) no unforeseen medical problems will arise on the first mission to explore Mars - This, in fact, weakens our conclusion that we don't even need that medical knowledge
(D) a mission to Mars will be the first of many missions that will explore the solar system - Totally out of context
(E) living in spaceship for an extended time presents insurmountable medical problems - This relates to the medical problems and medical knowledge but it doesn't relate this idea with space station or space ships. And if the those medical problems are insurmountable then it won't imitate the behaviour on space station.

Hence, (A) is the best among the above choices.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
theeliteguy wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I hope you may be able to see this, this late.

I have a doubt about the terms used in this passage. The passage is talking about building a Space Station. Answer choices present a variety of terms such as Spacecraft, and Spaceship.
You told the video that we need to be literal in CR passages. As a person who has a vivid imagination (LoL), I tend to think Spacecraft, Spaceship and Space Station are different things, to which extend, I don't know.

I seem to eliminate correct answer choices on this logic sometimes. Could you please let me know where my thinking is wrong? (When to consider this subtle differences literally and when NOT to)

Thanks in advance.

We should always think about CR passages and answer choices literally. The key is not to fall into mindless word-matching. Just because the passage includes the term “space station” does not mean that the correct answer choice will include the term “space station.” Instead, we should try to see how concepts in the answer choices and passage overlap and are connected. In doing so, we can be sure not to eliminate an answer choice by trying to take shortcuts.

In this instance, there’s actually no reason to eliminate (A) because it contains the word “spacecraft” instead of “space station.” This is because the conclusion of the passage is that we will need the medical knowledge from the space station project for humans to live in spacecraft for an extended period of time. The other thing to keep in mind is that, by definition, a spacecraft is “a vehicle or device designed for travel or operation outside the earth’s atmosphere.” So, a space station would be a type of spacecraft. For that reason, (A) is connected to the passage, even when we consider it literally.

The important point here is two-fold: DO consider each answer choice and the passage literally, but DON’T fall into the trap of mindlessly matching words in the passage and answer choices without considering how concepts may overlap.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rrn98 wrote:
LanaFirefox wrote:
A is essential to the argument, but so is B. How did you eliminate B? If the capacities of astronauts are NOT typical of those of ordinary human beings, then how can the argument "about the limits human capacities to live in spacecraft " still stand? Thanks in advance!

Please GMATNinja or any other expert, could you please answer this?

The passage concludes that building a space stations is essential. Why? Because "future missions to explore Mars" will require medical knowledge about the "limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time."

Let's consider (B):

Quote:

Is this necessary for the argument to hold? Well, according to the author, space stations are essential because they'll give us the medical knowledge that will be required on "future missions to explore Mars." And by definition, a person in a spacecraft on a "mission to explore Mars" is an astronaut.

So the medical knowledge we'll get from astronauts living on a space station just needs to apply to other astronauts, not "ordinary human beings." Conseqeuently, we don't need to assume that the "the capacities of astronauts are typical of those of ordinary human beings." As long as space stations give us medical knowledge that applies to other astronauts, we'll be okay.

Because it's not required by the argument, (B) is incorrect.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
At first, I really had a hard time understanding the logic behind this argument... then I came to the forum, only found that I made a very basic mistake: I didn't dive into finding the premise and the conclusion, falsely reckoning that the last sentence was the conclusion.....

Anyway, after I got the premise-conclusion relationship right, the question appears to be so easy.
Premise: For future missions to explore Mars, we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time.
Conclusion: Building a space station is essential (, in which astronauts would live for a considerable time.)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhinavkant3 wrote:
GMATNinja How can A be assumption? Isn’t it already stated in the passage that “astronauts would live for a considerable amount of time” (and not robots).

So it’s not unstated. Help here.

egmat GMATNinja

Posted from my mobile device

Let's start by breaking down the passage.

The argument concludes that "Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a considerable time, is essential..." But why is it essential? Well, because for future missions to explore Mars, "we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time."

As you say, an assumption should be something not explicitly stated in the passage. It should also be necessary for the argument to hold. Let's take a look at (A) to see if it fits the bill:

Quote:

(A) the exploration of Mars will be carried out by people traveling in spacecraft and not by robots alone

So how does this relate to the passage?

Notice the argument never explicitly tells us that the exploration of Mars will be carried out by people. It does tell us "astronauts would live for a considerable amount of time" in the space station, but the space station itself won't be used to explore Mars. Rather the space station will give us "medical knowledge" about "the limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time."

So (A) is not explicitly stated in the passage. But is it necessary?

Well, if we're just going to send robots to Mars, we wouldn't actually need any "medical knowledge" about "human capacities to live in spacecraft." In other words, to justify the the conclusion that the space station is essential, we have to assume that "the exploration of Mars will be carried out by people traveling in spacecraft and not by robots alone."

Since (A) is not explicitly stated, and it's necessary for the argument to hold, it's the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a considerable time, is essential even if the space station project were to contribute no new knowledge about space or Earth that could not otherwise be obtained. For future missions to explore Mars, we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time.

Boil it down - to explore Mars, we'll need to know about the human limits of living in a spacecraft --> building a space station is essential

(A) the exploration of Mars will be carried out by people travelling in spacecraft and not by robots alone. - Correct
(B) the capacities of astronauts are typical of those of ordinary human beings - Incorrect - Nowhere do we learn that anything will involve normal humans.
(C) no unforeseen medical problems will arise on the first mission to explore mars - Irrelevant
(D) a mission to Mars will be the first of many missions that will explore the solar system - Irrelevant
(E) living in spaceship for an extended time presents insurmountable medical problems - Irrelevant

Answer A
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a considerable time, is essential even if the space station project were to contribute no new knowledge about space or Earth that could not otherwise be obtained. For future missions to explore Mars, we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time.

(A) the exploration of Mars will be carried out by people traveling in spacecraft and not by robots alone -Correct. If the exploration of Mars will be done by humans then we would require the medical data, which will be gathered from the space station, in order to measure the human limits.

(B) the capacities of astronauts are typical of those of ordinary human beings -Okay. But this option doesn't state anything about the requirement of a space station.

(C) no unforeseen medical problems will arise on the first mission to explore Mars -Out of scope. At the most it will weaken the argument, since if no medical problems will occur then we don't really need space station to measure the human limits.

(D) a mission to Mars will be the first of many missions that will explore the solar system -Out of scope.

(E) living in spaceship for an extended time presents insurmountable medical problems -This weakens the argument. If we already know that medical problems do occur, then we don't really need the space station.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
"building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a considerable time, is essential"
why do we need a space station?
Because "For future missions to explore Mars, we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time."

How the premise and conclusion are connected?
Check for the premise that what is included in the premise that humans are needed for space missions to mars

Negate the choice A it breaks apart

If choice A is not assumed i.e, if humans are not needed for future missions, then the argument is not true. Therefore choice A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
GMATNinja. Can you tell me why C is wrong? I'm not satisfied with the answer.

If there are no unforeseen problems, then isn't the medical knowledge provided from the space station valid?
If there were problems, it feels as though the knowledge wouldn't help.
Please tell me where I'm wrong in my reasoning.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
poojap wrote:
GMATNinja. Can you tell me why C is wrong? I'm not satisfied with the answer.

If there are no unforeseen problems, then isn't the medical knowledge provided from the space station valid?
If there were problems, it feels as though the knowledge wouldn't help.
Please tell me where I'm wrong in my reasoning.

I'll come at this from a slightly different direction than in my explanation above...

The main conclusion of the passage is that "building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a considerable time, is essential." The primary evidence cited to support this conclusion is that "we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us" for future missions to Mars.

Notice that the author believes it is NECESSARY to build the space station in order to obtain certain medical knowledge -- which is different than saying that building the space station will ABSOLUTELY prevent any medical problems that could arise on the mission to Mars.

Take this example: medical condition X arises when an astronaut spends considerable time in a spacecraft. The ONLY way to find out about this condition, and therefore how to prevent/cure it, is to build a space station and see what happens when an astronaut lives there for a considerable amount of time. So, it is essential to build a space station.

Say also that one of the astronauts accidentally breaks her leg during the mission to Mars (big bummer). Well, now an "unforeseen medical problem" has arisen.

It is STILL necessary to build the space station, because we need the medical information about condition X. However, this does not prevent an astronaut breaking a leg (or having a heart attack, or encountering unforeseen toxic space ooze, etc). So, the argument that the space station is essential does not assume that no unforeseen medical problems will be encountered on the mission to Mars.

In other words, even if the space station DOES give us the medical knowledge we need about the limits of human capacities, unforeseen medical problems might still arise. So (C) is not a necessary assumption.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
An easy question among A and E, If we negate both only A is negating the conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
dear GMATNinja, gmat1393, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354,

suddenly, I would like to try an approach to assumption questions, I am not sure whether it is logical because I have never seen anyone try it .

first, here is a simply sample to address the necessary assumption.
if he get A+, then he must study hard.
here, study hard is a necessary assumption,
so , if X happens, then Y must happens, I can get Y is necessary.

back to this question, the conclusion is that For future missions to explore Mars, we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time.

I need find a necessary, so, if conclusion happens, then I find which answer must happen.
Quote:
(A) the exploration of Mars will be carried out by people traveling in spacecraft and not by robots alone

I thinks A must happen,
if A might happen, then there is no sense to need the medical knowledge.

Quote:

wow, what kind of astronauts must happen ?? I don't think so. if B says astronauts will go to MARS, then I think this must happen.

Quote:
(C) no unforeseen medical problems will arise on the first mission to explore Mars

what, if conclusion happens, C must happen? nonsense

Quote:
(D) a mission to Mars will be the first of many missions that will explore the solar system

anyone will think conclusion happens, D must happen? nonsense.

Quote:
(E) living in spaceship for an extended time presents insurmountable medical problems

if conclusion happens, must the E happen? nonsense either.

so , A

experts, please help clarify is my reasoning sound?

thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Building a space station, in which astronauts would live for a conside [#permalink]
GMATNinja

While I took one more glance at option A I noticed a possible issue. The last sentence of the question stem reads "For future missions to explore Mars, we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time".

And the option A reads the following -

In the entire question above we are concerned with medical knowledge of human limits inside the spacecraft and not on the planet Mars.

Now when I negate option A it says - " the exploration of Mars will not be carried out by people traveling in spacecraft and by robots alone".
The above negation still does not destroy the argument, as even if only robots are sent on to the planet Mars, the medical knowledge will still be useful for human beings living inside the spacecraft for an extended period of time. Can you please shed some light on where I'm going wrong?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
thesilentshadow wrote:
GMATNinja

While I took one more glance at option A I noticed a possible issue. The last sentence of the question stem reads "For future missions to explore Mars, we will need the medical knowledge that the space station project will give us about the limits of human capacities to live in spacecraft for an extended time".

And the option A reads the following -

In the entire question above we are concerned with medical knowledge of human limits inside the spacecraft and not on the planet Mars.

Now when I negate option A it says - " the exploration of Mars will not be carried out by people traveling in spacecraft and by robots alone".
The above negation still does not destroy the argument, as even if only robots are sent on to the planet Mars, the medical knowledge will still be useful for human beings living inside the spacecraft for an extended period of time. Can you please shed some light on where I'm going wrong?

Negate: only robots are sent on to the planet Mars
Conclusion: That medical knowledge would be essential when we'll go to Mars in future.

Considering above two points, if the exploration is to be done by robots, why do we need medical knowledge at all? We just need to focus whether medical knowledge will be useful for exploration to Mars. As per argument , we don't care whether otherwise medical knowledge will be useful.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts