GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 07:19
1
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:09) correct 19% (01:15) wrong based on 85 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears, the northern borders of the Chinese empire were protected by the Great Wall of China from intrusions by various nomadic groups for centuries after its construction.

A) the northern borders of the Chinese empire were protected by the Great Wall of China from intrusions by various nomadic groups for centuries after its construction
B) the Chinese empire’s northern borders were protected by the Great Wall of China from intrusions by various nomadic groups for centuries after its construction
C) the Great Wall of China protected the northern borders of the Chinese empire from intrusions by various nomadic groups for centuries after its construction
D) for centuries after they were constructed, the Great Wall of China protected the northern borders of the Chinese empire from intrusions by various nomadic groups
E) the Great Wall of China protected the Chinese empire’s northern borders from various nomadic groups’ intrusions for centuries after being constructed

_________________
If my post anyway helped you,please spare Kudos !
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Re: Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 08:19
In 'C' isint the Great Wall of China being modified by 'Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears'?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Feb 2018
Posts: 17
Re: Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 09:02
varshikolla wrote:
In 'C' isint the Great Wall of China being modified by 'Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears'?

Posted from my mobile device

Yes, which is indeed the intended meaning right ?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 05 Apr 2019
Posts: 78
Re: Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 10:58
LoneSurvivor wrote:
Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears, the northern borders of the Chinese empire were protected by the Great Wall of China from intrusions by various nomadic groups for centuries after its construction.


Quote:
A) the northern borders of the Chinese empire were protected by the Great Wall of China from intrusions by various nomadic groups for centuries after its construction

"Build to withstand" modifier should modifier "Great Wall of China", therefore A is incorrect

Quote:
B) the Chinese empire’s northern borders were protected by the Great Wall of China from intrusions by various nomadic groups for centuries after its construction

Incorrect. Same reason as A

Quote:
C) the Great Wall of China protected the northern borders of the Chinese empire from intrusions by various nomadic groups for centuries after its construction

Correct. "Build to withstand" modifier correctly modifies "Great Wall of China"

Quote:
D) for centuries after they were constructed, the Great Wall of China protected the northern borders of the Chinese empire from intrusions by various nomadic groups

Incorrect. Same reason as A

Quote:
E) the Great Wall of China protected the Chinese empire’s northern borders from various nomadic groups’ intrusions for centuries after being constructed

"Build to withstand" modifier should modifier "Great Wall of China" but its not "Intrusion of Nomadic Groups" but "Intrusion by Nomadic Groups", therefore the use of apostrophe is wrong in "nomadic groups’ intrusions"
_________________
Please consider Kudos if my post is helpful. Feel free to point out mistakes in my post
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears,   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2019, 10:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne