Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Weakenx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Send PM
Re: In Colorado subalpine meadows, nonnative dandelions co-occur with a na [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I broke down why B is a strengthen not only by showing how it strengthened but by showing how the negation weakened. I didn't add a whole bunch of story to support my analysis (what you are doing and what you should be very careful of doing on CR/RC). I took words from the argument and strung them together. Is there anything in that analysis that you're finding fault with?
Tutor
Send PM
Re: In Colorado subalpine meadows, nonnative dandelions co-occur with a na [#permalink]
Expert Reply
HerrGrau wrote:
Because pollinators CAN'T transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination (and hence seed production) in the native species by attracting more pollinators to the mixed plots.

Do these two sentences seem to be working together? I don't think they do. The first seems to contradict the second.

Coming back here again. Any questions on how the first part weakens the second or at least doesn't strengthen the second?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:
HerrGrau wrote:
Because pollinators CAN'T transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination (and hence seed production) in the native species by attracting more pollinators to the mixed plots.

Do these two sentences seem to be working together? I don't think they do. The first seems to contradict the second.

Coming back here again. Any questions on how the first part weakens the second or at least doesn't strengthen the second?

Why does the first contradict the second?

If pollinators cannot transfer pollen from one species to another in mixed plots to augment seed production relative to dandelion-free plots, while seed production is better in mixed plots, the increase in seed production is likely caused by the presence of more pollinators in the mixed plots.

First theory: pollinators in mixed plots do "better"
Second theory: pollinators in mixed plots are more numerous
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
HiLine wrote:
HerrGrau wrote:
HerrGrau wrote:

HiLine wrote:
Why does the first contradict the second?

If the pollinators can't transfer pollen how could they possibly facilitate pollination (within the scope of the argument)? We can agree to disagree here. We're getting to the point of me saying the color is blue and you saying it's green:) That's fine. We can agree to disagree.

A.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
HiLine wrote:
If pollinators cannot transfer pollen from one species to another in mixed plots to augment seed production relative to dandelion-free plots, while seed production is better in mixed plots, the increase in seed production is likely caused by the presence of more pollinators in the mixed plots.

OK - so I understand that you're saying that it's not the greater number of pollinators but something different about the pollinators in the mixed plots. Is that right? In the abstract that's OK. Reasoning is good. But, choice B doesn't provide that "other factor". An example of that "other factor" would be:

1. The mixed plots got more sun which stimulated more pollen.
2. The roots of the two plants interacting somehow stimulates pollen.
3. The dandelions release another chemical that stimulates pollen in the other plant.

A.

Originally posted by AtlanticGMAT on 01 Aug 2016, 08:46.
Last edited by AtlanticGMAT on 01 Aug 2016, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:

If the pollinators can't transfer pollen how could they possibly facilitate pollination (within the scope of the argument)? We can agree to disagree here. We're getting to the point of me saying the color is blue and you saying it's green:) That's fine. We can agree to disagree.

A.

I think we're actually coming closer to agreement. Please do try your best to disprove my explanation; I'd prefer all GMAT questions had only one correct answer each. Not a fan of exceptions. :)

You mean if the pollinators cannot transfer pollen from one species to another? Pollinators can transfer pollen among individuals within a species. I read the answer choice as pollinators that can transfer pollen between species are better at facilitating pollination than pollinators that cannot. Did I read it wrong?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
HiLine wrote:
HerrGrau wrote:

A.

I think we're actually coming closer to agreement. Please do try your best to disprove my explanation; I'd prefer all GMAT questions had only one correct answer each. Not a fan of exceptions. :)

You mean if the pollinators cannot transfer pollen from one species to another? Pollinators can transfer pollen among individuals within a species. I read the answer choice as pollinators that can transfer pollen between species are better at facilitating pollination than pollinators that cannot. Did I read it wrong?

Sounds good. Yes - I think that's the issue. We're told that more pollination means more seed production. So it makes sense that if one species can pollinate the other that the pollination would "augment" seed production. That doesn't mean that the inter-plant pollination is better than the intra-plant pollination.

A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:
HiLine wrote:
HerrGrau wrote:

A.

Sounds good. Yes - I think that's the issue. We're told that more pollination means more seed production. So it makes sense that if one species can pollinate the other that the pollination would "augment" seed production. That doesn't mean that the inter-plant pollination is better than the intra-plant pollination.

A.

Better in what way? If inter-plant pollination augments seed production, I take that to mean inter-plant pollination results in better seed production than intra-plant pollination.

So doesn't that make answer choice B a valid alternative explanation for the mixed plots to have better seed production?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yep it does. I can see why that's confusing. But it doesn't have to be compared to the other plot (the non-mixed one). Adding more pollen increases seed production. That's it. No comparison to anything else except the previous state of having less pollen. Why does it have to be that adding more pollen in the mixed plot is different than in the non-mixed plot?

A.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear HiLine,
I'm happy to respond. :-) As a huge Beethoven fan, I very much enjoy the icon you have chosen for your representation.

Here's the text of (B). Here's the text of (B).
(B) In mixed plots, pollinators can transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production.
This choice is not suggesting a mechanism for pollen transfer different from the pollinators. The pollinators are still involved. If pollinators are attracted to the mixed plot, as the prompt suggests, then choice clarifies that the pollinators, who have already been attracted, can cross-fertilize the two plants. It is 100% consistent with the original argument and hence strengthens it.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

hi Mike, after checking all options, I know E is gonna be the correct answer. Nevertheless, I still have no idea of what the passage discusses about. Can you help me with this?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
chesstitans wrote:
hi Mike, after checking all options, I know E is gonna be the correct answer. Nevertheless, I still have no idea of what the passage discusses about. Can you help me with this?

Dear chesstitans,

I'm happy to respond.

My friend, I am going to challenge you. What you have asked is not an excellent question. A question that basically says, "I'm helpless. Make me understand." is not an excellent question. An excellent question presupposes a high degree of self-responsibility: toward that end, it makes explicitly clear what you understand and what's unclear.

Have you looked up the definitions of all the unfamiliar individual words in the passage? Part of being ambitious as a student is making a point to learn any word you encounter that you don't already know. Do you understand the basic science of pollination? I am talking about not the very technical knowledge (e.g. the molar biology of pollination), but simply what folks learn in grade school about pollination.

Go through the passage finding the definition of every single word you don't know. Remind yourself of the basic science here. Then, tell me exactly what do you understand about the passage and exactly what still confuses you.

You see, when you ask an excellent question such as this, you are forcing yourself to wrestle with the material at a much deeper level. You see, it's relatively easy simply to throw up your hands and say, "I don't understand." It's much hard to engage deeply with material that doesn't come easily to you: even though you don't get answers through that process, your understanding is deepened, and your mind is primed to receive any answer you get at a much deeper level.

Asking excellent questions is one of the habits of excellence. Many students say they want an excellent score (e.g. 700+), but few have the patience & determination & dedication to exercise all the habits of excellent diligently.

My friend, if you ask an excellent question about this passage, I will be more than happy to answer it. :-)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
in strengthening/weakening question,an option that is inconsistent with the premise or support a premise can be a possible answer?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos