It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:30

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bumblebees OG 2016 In Colorado subalpine meadow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 115 [1], given: 26

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: Bumblebees OG 2016 In Colorado subalpine meadow [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
HerrGrau wrote:
Yep it does. I can see why that's confusing. But it doesn't have to be compared to the other plot (the non-mixed one). Adding more pollen increases seed production. That's it. No comparison to anything else except the previous state of having less pollen. Why does it have to be that adding more pollen in the mixed plot is different than in the non-mixed plot?

A.

Aw man. So I guess I did interpret "augment" incorrectly. I bet the increase in this case is over the situation where there are no pollinators. If this is true, I can finally sleep on this question.

Kudos [?]: 115 [1], given: 26

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 24

Schools: Pepperdine '19
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
This is a causal argument. The presence of dandelions causes larspur to give more seeds.
A basic assumption is that the 2 sets of plots here are comparable. Choice E essentially says that the 2 are not comparable.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 07:42
I agree with the E choice explanation. But still I have the same question as HiLine.
The correct answer E uses "can", which simply disturbs/challenges my CR skills and rules.If the option was like this : Soil disturbances results in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production.. It is a spot on. Yeah, now we know the correct answer we can build on..and on...

Most of the time I eliminate if the answer choices has can/will.
Experts can you touch on situations for weaken type CR where can/will be an exceptional correct choice.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 11:28
dharan wrote:
I agree with the E choice explanation. But still I have the same question as HiLine.
The correct answer E uses "can", which simply disturbs/challenges my CR skills and rules.If the option was like this : Soil disturbances results in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production.. It is a spot on. Yeah, now we know the correct answer we can build on..and on...

Most of the time I eliminate if the answer choices has can/will.
Experts can you touch on situations for weaken type CR where can/will be an exceptional correct choice.

That's a very valid question. How I see it is, Strengthen/Weaken are all possibilities that Support/Undermine the answer. So we speculate if "X can support Y' (a possibility) then answer is S/W.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 04:18
Crucial wording for non-native.
I had to spend around 3 mins considering a dictionary to solve.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 612

GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 00:45
WillGetIt wrote:
In Colorado subalpine meadows, nonnative dandelions co-occur with a native flower, the larkspur. Bumblebees visit both species, creating the potential for interactions between the two species with respect to pollination. In a recent study, researchers selected 16 plots containing both species; all dandelions were removed fiom eight plots; the remaining eight control plots were left undisturbed. The control plots yielded significantly more larkspur seeds than the dandelion-free plots, leading the researchers to conclude that the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination (and hence seed production) in the native species by attracting more pollinators to the mixed plots.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the researchers’ reasoning?

A. Bumblebees preferentially visit dandelions over larkspurs in mixed plots.

B. In mixed plots, pollinators can transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production.

C. If left unchecked, nonnative species like dandelions quickly crowd out native species.

D. Seed germination is a more reliable measure of a species’ fitness than seed production.

E. Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production.

"Please hit +kudos if you like this post"

Basically you can deduce 2 general things here when dealing with an experiment that checks experiment group vs a control group:

[Group A: Lark],[Group B: DL/Lark]

To strengthen: DL->Success in group B (the control group)
To weaken: Z (some disturbance)->Lack of success in group A
and so, its not that DL->success, it's that something else cause the experiment to fail.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 612

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 207

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 06:13
amatya wrote:
In Colorado subalpine meadows, nonnative dandelions co-occur with a native flower, the larkspur. Bumblebees visit both species, creating the potential for interactions between the two species with respect to pollination. In a recent study, researchers selected 16 plots containing both species; all dandelions were removed from eight plots; the remaining eight control plots were left undisturbed. The control plots yielded significantly more larkspur seeds than the dandelion-free plots, leading the researchers to conclude that the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination (and hence seed production) in the native species by attracting more pollinators to the mixed plots.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the researchers’ reasoning?

(A) Bumblebees preferentially visit dandelions over larkspurs in mixed plots.
(B) In mixed plots, pollinators can transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production.
(C) If left unchecked, nonnative species like dandelions quickly crowd out native species.
(D) Seed germination is a more reliable measure of a species’ fitness than seed production.
(E) Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production.

Press Kudos if you like the post

without doubt E is the best answer.
E gives a valid reason to consider other factors that were not taken into consideration during the testing.

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 207

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1364 [0], given: 440

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 22:40
amatya wrote:
In Colorado subalpine meadows, nonnative dandelions co-occur with a native flower, the larkspur. Bumblebees visit both species, creating the potential for interactions between the two species with respect to pollination. In a recent study, researchers selected 16 plots containing both species; all dandelions were removed from eight plots; the remaining eight control plots were left undisturbed. The control plots yielded significantly more larkspur seeds than the dandelion-free plots, leading the researchers to conclude that the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination (and hence seed production) in the native species by attracting more pollinators to the mixed plots.

(B) In mixed plots, pollinators can transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production.
(C) If left unchecked, nonnative species like dandelions quickly crowd out native species.
(D) Seed germination is a more reliable measure of a species’ fitness than seed production.
(E) Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production.

GMATNinja (E) Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence LOWER seed production.

Implication:
The lower seed yield in the 8 plots was due NOT to the absence of dandelions but to the SOIL DISTURBANCE that occurred when the dandelions were removed, WEAKENING the conclusion that the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination.

Total = 16 plots
8 plots = WITHOUT dandelions
8 plots (control plots) = with dandelions

Conclusion : with dandelions, seed production, more pollinators to the mixed plots

How could we link soil disturbance to attack the conclusion? The answer choice (E) seems like attack 8 plots WITHOUT dandelions.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1364 [0], given: 440

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1392

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 21:19
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear HiLine,
I'm happy to respond. :-) As a huge Beethoven fan, I very much enjoy the icon you have chosen for your representation.

Here's the text of (B). Here's the text of (B).
This choice is not suggesting a mechanism for pollen transfer different from the pollinators. The pollinators are still involved. If pollinators are attracted to the mixed plot, as the prompt suggests, then choice clarifies that the pollinators, who have already been attracted, can cross-fertilize the two plants. It is 100% consistent with the original argument and hence strengthens it.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

hi Mike, after checking all options, I know E is gonna be the correct answer. Nevertheless, I still have no idea of what the passage discusses about. Can you help me with this?

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1392

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 571

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 22:53
amatya wrote:

Press Kudos if you like the post

The answer is E

A actually strengthen the argument as pollinators prefer dandelions over larkspurs and if the plot is mixed then there will be more pollination.
B also strengthen the argument this also increase pollination.
C No effect of the argument .
D Out of scope
E bingo this our answer .If the soil is disturbed then that is going to affect seed production in an adverse way .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 571

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8966 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 15:46
chesstitans wrote:
hi Mike, after checking all options, I know E is gonna be the correct answer. Nevertheless, I still have no idea of what the passage discusses about. Can you help me with this?

Dear chesstitans,

I'm happy to respond.

My friend, I am going to challenge you. What you have asked is not an excellent question. A question that basically says, "I'm helpless. Make me understand." is not an excellent question. An excellent question presupposes a high degree of self-responsibility: toward that end, it makes explicitly clear what you understand and what's unclear.

Have you looked up the definitions of all the unfamiliar individual words in the passage? Part of being ambitious as a student is making a point to learn any word you encounter that you don't already know. Do you understand the basic science of pollination? I am talking about not the very technical knowledge (e.g. the molar biology of pollination), but simply what folks learn in grade school about pollination.

Go through the passage finding the definition of every single word you don't know. Remind yourself of the basic science here. Then, tell me exactly what do you understand about the passage and exactly what still confuses you.

You see, when you ask an excellent question such as this, you are forcing yourself to wrestle with the material at a much deeper level. You see, it's relatively easy simply to throw up your hands and say, "I don't understand." It's much hard to engage deeply with material that doesn't come easily to you: even though you don't get answers through that process, your understanding is deepened, and your mind is primed to receive any answer you get at a much deeper level.

Asking excellent questions is one of the habits of excellence. Many students say they want an excellent score (e.g. 700+), but few have the patience & determination & dedication to exercise all the habits of excellent diligently.

My friend, if you ask an excellent question about this passage, I will be more than happy to answer it. :-)

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 315

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 05:18
in strengthening/weakening question,an option that is inconsistent with the premise or support a premise can be a possible answer?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 315

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 968 [0], given: 69

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 05:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
JAIN09 wrote:
in strengthening/weakening question,an option that is inconsistent with the premise or support a premise can be a possible answer?

Hi JAIN09 ,

No, that is not correct.

If you are asked to weaken a conclusion, your answer should not be something that is breaking the premise.

Premises are the source of truth and cannot be broken.

The answer should have some relation with the conclusion or the assumption made to draw that conclusion from the given premise.

For this question specifically, conclusion is saying X led to Y.

Assumption was there is not alternate cause. By stating E, we are saying there is something else that led to the conclusion and it was not the given premise.

Hence, E is correct.

Does that make sense?

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 968 [0], given: 69

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 08:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
In Colorado subalpine meadows, nonnative dandelions co-occur with a native flower, the larkspur. Bumblebees visit both species, creating the potential for interactions between the two species with respect to pollination. In a recent study, researchers selected 16 plots containing both species; all dandelions were removed rom eight plots; the remaining eight control plots were left undisturbed. The control plots yielded significantly more larkspur seeds than the dandelion-free plots, leading the researchers to conclude that the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination (and hence seed production) in the native species by attracting more pollinators to the mixed plots.

This is a fantastic Official Question.
Here's the crux of the argument -> Dandelions are non-native and larkspur are native flowers. Bees interact with both of them.
16 Plots divided into 2 Groups
Group 1 - 8 Plots where all Dandelions are removed.
Group 2 (Control Group) - 8 Plots remain as is.
Research Result -> Group 2 has more larkspur seeds than Group 1 => researchers think presence of dandelion helps facilitate pollination.

Quote:

This is a strange one. This would explain why bumblebees interact with Group 2 more than they do with Group 1, but then why would we have larkspur seeds? OUT!

Quote:

This seems to strengthen the researcher's conclusion that the presence of dandelion helps with increased pollination of larkspur seeds. This is an opposite of what we are looking for. OUT!

Quote:

Really GMAT? Then why do we have more larkspur seeds? OUT!

Quote:

We're only talking about seed production so this is completely irrelevant.

Quote:

Here we go. An alternative explanation of what can cause the lower seed production in Group 1, and this does weaken the researcher's conclusion. Their conclusion was based on the primary assumption that both the groups had the same conditions for pollination barring the dandelion flowers in Group 2.

E is the correct answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 98

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 92

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
CAT Tests
Bumblebees OG 2016 In Colorado subalpine meadow [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 01:02
mikemcgarry wrote:

I would say that many official CR questions are of the form that if, say, (B) is the OA, then (B) absolutely must play the role asked by the prompt question (strengthener, weakener, etc.), but in other official question, of all five answers, the OA (B) would be the only one that could play this role. Those latter questions are typically much harder questions, and those OAs are exceptionally easy to pass over. I would say this official question is of this latter sort.

Does this make sense?

It makes complete sense. Infact, during my actual GMAT, sometimes i feel that none of the answer options is either Right or Relevant. I Suppose they are the harder ones like this one in which the OA has been masked

Could you provide more such examples of official or Magoosh questions which are similar to the given one.

Thanks

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 14:48
KGump wrote:
It makes complete sense. Infact, during my actual GMAT, sometimes i feel that none of the answer options is either Right or Relevant. I Suppose they are the harder ones like this one in which the OA has been masked

Could you provide more such examples of official or Magoosh questions which are similar to the given one.

Thanks

Dear KGump,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I don't know whether you understand how rude your request is. It's true that we experts on GMAT Club freely offer our time and our advice to answer specific questions. At the same time, my time is precious, as I am sure is true for all of my colleagues. I have many demands on me, and GMAT Club constitutes only a small part of my day's work. For a single user, especially someone I don't know well, to ask me to search through the question banks and deliver up a specific bouquet of questions for his perusal that meet a particular condition--it's as if someone is saying to me, "You don't know me, but I want you to do an hour of work for me." Your question didn't even acknowledge that there might be effort in fulfilling your request, and this absence gives the request an air of presumption. I am pointing this out because I think it's extremely important that you understand the impact you have on the people who are in a position to help you. All of human life, including the business world, is about connecting with people and relating to them. Not recognizing the demands you are placing on people is tantamount to not showing appreciation for their time and efforts--a particularly unsuccessful strategy. Humility, respect, and gratitude always go much further.

Does all this make sense, my friend?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 20:53
mikemcgarry wrote:
KGump wrote:

Thanks

Dear KGump,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I don't know whether you understand how rude your request is. It's true that we experts on GMAT Club freely offer our time and our advice to answer specific questions. At the same time, my time is precious, as I am sure is true for all of my colleagues. I have many demands on me, and GMAT Club constitutes only a small part of my day's work. For a single user, especially someone I don't know well, to ask me to search through the question banks and deliver up a specific bouquet of questions for his perusal that meet a particular condition--it's as if someone is saying to me, "You don't know me, but I want you to do an hour of work for me." Your question didn't even acknowledge that there might be effort in fulfilling your request, and this absence gives the request an air of presumption. I am pointing this out because I think it's extremely important that you understand the impact you have on the people who are in a position to help you. All of human life, including the business world, is about connecting with people and relating to them. Not recognizing the demands you are placing on people is tantamount to not showing appreciation for their time and efforts--a particularly unsuccessful strategy. Humility, respect, and gratitude always go much further.

Does all this make sense, my friend?

Hi Mike,

I am really sorry if I implied any such rude behaviour.

What I meant was that if off the top of your head you recalled any such questions. I never expected you to search or put an effort for this. I agree this was presumptous.

I had recently purchased a verbal course and for one of the questions I had asked the faculty to tell the me the inspiration for that question and they told me the official question it was based on. Now I understand that this was a very specific request.

It never occurred to me that my stupid request could have come across to be perceived like this.

Well, I have taken the GMAT thrice and in my second attempt, to my surprise I scored in the 5th percentile in CR and 88th percentile in RC and SC. Otherwise i am generally able to solve all the CR questions at home. I have taken private tutoring sessions as well.
I woke up yesterday and this question was on my mind for some reason. I hadn’t even visited this question for long. and I just searched and read your reply and I got excited.
Maybe this is the reason I just jumped on with my stupid request.

I have huge respect for you. I have read most of your blogs and I really admire the way you teach students not just concepts but habits/practices which should be acquired such as asking excellent questions/ thinking what more Can I do/ levels of understanding.

I am generally the extreme opposite of what i came across as. Again, extremely sorry for have invoking that response in you.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 15:03
KGump wrote:
Hi Mike,

I am really sorry if I implied any such rude behaviour.

What I meant was that if off the top of your head you recalled any such questions. I never expected you to search or put an effort for this. I agree this was presumptous.

I had recently purchased a verbal course and for one of the questions I had asked the faculty to tell the me the inspiration for that question and they told me the official question it was based on. Now I understand that this was a very specific request.

It never occurred to me that my stupid request could have come across to be perceived like this.

Well, I have taken the GMAT thrice and in my second attempt, to my surprise I scored in the 5th percentile in CR and 88th percentile in RC and SC. Otherwise i am generally able to solve all the CR questions at home. I have taken private tutoring sessions as well.
I woke up yesterday and this question was on my mind for some reason. I hadn’t even visited this question for long. and I just searched and read your reply and I got excited.
Maybe this is the reason I just jumped on with my stupid request.

I have huge respect for you. I have read most of your blogs and I really admire the way you teach students not just concepts but habits/practices which should be acquired such as asking excellent questions/ thinking what more Can I do/ levels of understanding.

I am generally the extreme opposite of what i came across as. Again, extremely sorry for have invoking that response in you.

Dear KGump,

My friend, thank you for your thoughtful reply. :-) I wish you the best of luck in your studies. :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Bumblebees OG 2016 In Colorado subalpine meadow   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2017, 15:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 58 posts ] 

Bumblebees OG 2016 In Colorado subalpine meadow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap