Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink]
I've been looking at Hugo Boss and Brooks Brothers. I can't seem to find a Hugo Boss skirt suit, though.

The comments upthread about too-high high heels made me chuckle because I am totally that person tottering around in 4.5/5 inch heels. In my defense, I am really short, as in barely 5'2", and a lot of the male attorneys I've worked with over the last five years have mistakenly asked me to get coffee the first time I met them or assumed that I was the secretary or the paralegal ("when's the attorney going to get here?" was a routine question for my first 2 years). It sort of became a defense mechanism for at least being able to look them in the eye.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
What about hair during interviews? If your hair is longer than shoulder length, how did you wear it on interview day? Pony tail, bun, down, put up with a clip, etc?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
What about hair during interviews? If your hair is longer than shoulder length, how did you wear it on interview day? Pony tail, bun, down, put up with a clip, etc?

definitely get your hair back if it's longer. i was back on campus to do Mock Interviews and two of the women had their hair down and it really did distract from their faces. you don't want to be tempted to fiddle with it, and you want to be sure the interviewer is focused on your eyes and your message.
Current Student
Send PM
retailgirl, you rock, thank you. I was looking at Theory suits on the Bloomingdales website but my impression was that the style "skews" a little younger/edgier and I was worried about the issues cited above about looking too young and unprofessional (exacerbated for me due to my height). I plan to get my wardrobe this summer, in any case, as the last year was very hard on me, healthwise, and I gained 20 lbs doing the whole b-school thing (yuck). I am in the process of getting back to "myself"-however my normal weight is approximately a size 4.

Brooks Brothers looks like it has the requisite conservatism but it looks like I'l spend additional money tailoring it down to my frame.

On a seperate note, you wouldn't by any chance have any good recommendations for tailor made button down shirts in petites?
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks smadge. I debated about saying this explicitly in the initial post but one of my issues with button down shirts, which is why I asked as obliquely as possible, is that when I am slim (which, heh, is not the case right now), my chest size is out of proportion to the rest of my body. This has long condemned me to wearing nice tshirts under suits, but I am guessing that will be unacceptable in finance interviews. Unfortunately, in the past, either I've ended up wearing a shirt that is far too big for me size wise, or I wear my size, but have the dreaded button-gap over the bust. I ended up googling for this issue and discovered a company called Carissa Rose that makes shirts for women with this problem. If anyone has any other recommendations short of getting a shirt made, please let me know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
retailgirl wrote:
(Hugo Boss I agree is fabulous but a bit out of my price range.

My girlfriend and I went to a Hugo Boss outlet store a few weekends ago thinking it'd be reasonable.

Yeah...

Quickly sidestepped out and over to Polo.

Originally posted by PBateman on 25 Jan 2010, 20:18.
Last edited by PBateman on 26 Jan 2010, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
Banana Republic, Zara, H&M are my favorites for business attire.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Bookmarks
PBateman wrote:
retailgirl wrote:
(Hugo Boss I agree is fabulous but a bit out of my price range. And I would love to be that girl that can pull off the five-inchers, but I'm just not that coordinated!!)

My girlfriend and I went to a Hugo Boss outlet store a few weekends ago thinking it'd be reasonable.

Yeah...

to clarify, you meant that the prices were unreasonably high, right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
PBateman wrote:
retailgirl wrote:
(Hugo Boss I agree is fabulous but a bit out of my price range. And I would love to be that girl that can pull off the five-inchers, but I'm just not that coordinated!!)

Yeah...

to clarify, you meant that the prices were unreasonably high, right?

Yes, I didn't mean to quote that portion about wearing heels.

The stuff was just crazy expensive, men's and women's.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Hello, my busty sisters. I have completely given up on wearing button-downs, but my work isn't especially conservative and all my interviews in b-school were GM roles. I do wear lots of nice, fine-knit pull-over type shirts under suits. But if you definitely want button-downs....

https://rebeccaanddrew.com/

Warning - these are not cheap, but I saw them on What Not to Wear once and now have a friend who raves about them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
anything formal attire...it depends on you as long as you can manage to have that attire.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Wharton (Accepted R2), HBS (Accepted R2)
Send PM
I'm pretty tiny as well (size 00 is usually too big for me) and usually have to look quite professional at work. Most places like Banana don't fit me at all.

However, I just discovered that Brooks Brothers does free tailoring, and I am absolutely in love with their shirts!! I got a size 00P and they tailored it for me so it fits perfectly. I am never going to buy shirts from any other place :-)

Zara sometimes works for me, so does Theory and Hugo Boss.

Question: For bschool interviews, is it better to wear a collared shirt underneath your suit or not? Does it look TOO formal?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
Well, after 8 years work in a laboratory I finally need to refresh my wardrobe.! The closest I get to business attire at my current work is a cashmere with a button-down shirt. I have two interviews coming up and I've had to buy a new suit, a couple of shirts, and a handbag that fits a laptop. I don't have the guts to take my usual L.L. Bean tote to the interview. :-D

While I still need a leather handbag, right now I opted for the suit and got a more affordable Longchamp canvas tote:

Before school begins, I would really like to have this one:

And if I had some more cash lying around (one can always dream!), the Mulberry Bayswater...

Regarding business wear, on a previous page somebody had posted wonderful knitted dresses with long sleeves. What a wonderful idea - and they must be so comfortable! Thanks for the tip!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Slightly off-topic, but can anyone help me understand the distinction between a "cocktail dress" and a "party dress"?
My friends think all the dresses I own cannot be classified as "cocktail", especially if I wear them with knee-high boots :shock:

So what attire is appropriate for the fancier events at admit weekends where cocktail dresses are required?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
gmatbschool wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but can anyone help me understand the distinction between a "cocktail dress" and a "party dress"?
My friends think all the dresses I own cannot be classified as "cocktail", especially if I wear them with knee-high boots :shock:

So what attire is appropriate for the fancier events at admit weekends where cocktail dresses are required?

A cocktail dress IMO is a little more sophisticated than a party dress. Cocktail dresses can be worn when the dress code says dark suit / black tie, so think of some Hollywood glamour parties and what people wear there. Most often a cocktail dress is not a full-long gown, but rather a little shorter, everything from calf-long to above-knee short. Even a mini could go for a cocktail dress, as long as it is sophisticated, and is worn with sophistication (think accessories). Cocktail dresses are when women get to play: wear bare backs or a slit up the leg, flaunt a little, but always remember to hide more than you show. Match with a little fancier jewelry, and for a true cocktail occasion, a large cocktail ring on your right hand -> the hand that holds up the glass. ;) Cocktail rings are also good to clink on the glass with when asking for silence for a speech.

Boots are in my opinion not cocktail attire. However, if the party is otherwise very casual (suits or black tie not required), I could imagine wearing boots to a bar or another similar party venue in the winter.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Business Attire for Women 2 [#permalink]
I started a new thread because the old one was too long:

I ran across an acquaintance recently (investment banking consultant) and upon discussing the appropriate attire for professional women, she said "it should demonstrate the promise (but not the delivery) of sex."

LOL.

What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Business Attire for Women 2 [#permalink]
Kaye wrote:
I started a new thread because the old one was too long:

I ran across an acquaintance recently (investment banking consultant) and upon discussing the appropriate attire for professional women, she said "it should demonstrate the promise (but not the delivery) of sex."

LOL.

What do you think?

I'm sure this conversation happened. Go troll somewhere else please!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Business Attire for Women 2 [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9