It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9041 [0], given: 335

Re: Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2014, 03:29
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi EGMAT,

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they
fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit
communication up and down the corporate hierarchy
. Since an executive who uses a
title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an
executive’s dealings with external businesses.
The obvious compromise is for these
executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely
known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this
knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. In the
consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?
A. The first presents an obstacle to achieving a certain goal; the second presents a reason for
considering that goal to be undesirable.
B. The first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy; the second
presents a reason against adopting that strategy.
C. The first describes a concern that the consultant dismisses as insignificant; the second is a
consideration that serves as the basis for that dismissal.
D. The first is a belief for which the consultant offers support; the second is part of that support.
E. The first is a belief against which evidence is offered; the second is part of the evidence
offered against that belief.

Lets Spilt the argument

Some corporations shun the use of executive titles.. ...Consultant opinion..statement1

because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit
. Reason for above statement.1

Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, Reason for below statement2

however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Consultant opinion... MAIN CONCLUSION

The obvious compromise is for these executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, Consultant opinion.. statement 3

since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this
knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. Reasons for above statement3.

As per the above understanding.

First bold face is could be explanation or a consideration for the first statement that is the statergy as mentioned in the answer choices.

Second bold face seems like a Consultant opinion not a reasoning its a opinion . or the main conclusion. reasoning is statement before the argument.

Please correct me,where I'm getting wrong.

Thanks

Nitin Singh

Hi,

Thanks for your analysis. Here are my comments:

Some corporations shun the use of executive titles.. ...Consultant opinion..statement1 - Incorrect. This is not an opinion. This is presented as a fact.

because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit
. Reason for above statement.1 - Correct

Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, Reason for below statement2 - Correct

however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Consultant opinion... MAIN CONCLUSION -Incorrect. This is an intermediate conclusion.

The obvious compromise is for these executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, Consultant opinion.. statement 3 - This is the main conclusion.

since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this
knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. Reasons for above statement3. - Correct

First bold face is could be explanation or a consideration for the first statement that is the statergy as mentioned in the answer choices. - Correct

Second bold face seems like a Consultant opinion not a reasoning its a opinion . or the main conclusion. reasoning is statement before the argument. - Second is an opinion and an intermediate conclusion, which disfavors the statement 1.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9041 [0], given: 335

e-GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 49

Schools: ISB '16, NUS '15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2014, 18:32
Hi Chiranjeev,

Thanks for your comments, one thing i would like to clarify is in option B . The second bold face is "presents a reason against adopting that strategy:. So present a reason dosent means its a reason or a explanation ? .

Thanks
Nitin Singh

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 49

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 11:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 08:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 49

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 21:32
B is the correct answer.

Some corporations shun the use of executive titles - Action/conclusion by corporations
because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate hierarchy - Reasoning/support for above conclusion
Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders - Premise by BC
however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses - Conclusion by BC

The obvious compromise is for these executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation.

Shunning titles is like a strategy for corporations. First BF statement supports this strategy. Author or BC gives another viewpoint, which, doesn't go against the corporations reasoning. Instead, BC offers an alternate approach to handle the problem.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 18:23
egmat wrote:
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi EGMAT,

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they
fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit
. Since an executive who uses a
title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an
executive’s dealings with external businesses.
The obvious compromise is for these
executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely
known that the corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this
knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. In the
consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?
A. The first presents an obstacle to achieving a certain goal; the second presents a reason for
considering that goal to be undesirable.
B. The first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy; the second
presents a reason against adopting that strategy.
C. The first describes a concern that the consultant dismisses as insignificant; the second is a
consideration that serves as the basis for that dismissal.
D. The first is a belief for which the consultant offers support; the second is part of that support.
E. The first is a belief against which evidence is offered; the second is part of the evidence
offered against that belief.

Lets Spilt the argument

Some corporations shun the use of executive titles.. ...Consultant opinion..statement1

. Reason for above statement.1

Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, Reason for below statement2

however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Consultant opinion... MAIN CONCLUSION

The obvious compromise is for these executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, Consultant opinion.. statement 3

knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. Reasons for above statement3.

First bold face is could be explanation or a consideration for the first statement that is the statergy as mentioned in the answer choices.

Second bold face seems like a Consultant opinion not a reasoning its a opinion . or the main conclusion. reasoning is statement before the argument.

Please correct me,where I'm getting wrong.

Thanks

Nitin Singh

Hi,

Thanks for your analysis. Here are my comments:

Some corporations shun the use of executive titles.. ...Consultant opinion..statement1 - Incorrect. This is not an opinion. This is presented as a fact.

. Reason for above statement.1 - Correct

Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, Reason for below statement2 - Correct

however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Consultant opinion... MAIN CONCLUSION -Incorrect. This is an intermediate conclusion.

The obvious compromise is for these executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, Consultant opinion.. statement 3 - This is the main conclusion.

knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation. Reasons for above statement3. - Correct

First bold face is could be explanation or a consideration for the first statement that is the statergy as mentioned in the answer choices. - Correct

Second bold face seems like a Consultant opinion not a reasoning its a opinion . or the main conclusion. reasoning is statement before the argument. - Second is an opinion and an intermediate conclusion, which disfavors the statement 1.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Hi EGmat

IMO, i choose the option B for this answer after following these steps

First, I find the intermediate conclusion and main conclusion from the whole statement .

Conclusion 1: the use of titles indicating pos in corp tends to inhibit comm up and down corp hierachy
Premise 1: executives uses a title is treated with more respect
Conclusion 2: this knowledge not inhibit comm within corp
Premise 2: compromises for executives to use corp titles externally not internally.

--> Then I selected B but not A because the author did not mentioned anything for how desirable the goal is. Other options are out too.

Would you mind pointing out any mistakes in my POE or methods ?

Thank you

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2017, 18:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap