Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Pronounsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [5]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligenc [#permalink]
Thanks for your reply generis. I had missed the part about reducing relative clauses. "that enable" becomes "enabling", got it now.
Very interesting, thanks for your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligenc [#permalink]
Dear experts, please confirm/dismiss my following idea:
B - "withholding disclosure" has redundant meaning
C - "to withhold from public disclosure" has redundant meaning
E - "withhold public disclosure" has redundant meaning
All these options in average mean that one intents to conceal information in order not to reveal this information. Sounds redundant, does not it?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligenc [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hi WinWinMBA,

Thank you for your question.

Let's start by looking at the first major difference I saw when looking over the question quickly: it vs. they/them. Since the pronoun is referring back to the Central Intelligence Agency, which is a singular noun, the pronoun should match - so let's keep answers A, B, and C because they use the singular "it" or no pronoun at all. Therefore, we can eliminate answers D & E because they use the plural "they" or "them," which is wrong.

Answer C should also go because it doesn't clearly state WHO gets to do the withholding, and it sounds awkward. This leaves us with answers A & B. Let's look at what is different about each one:

A: enabling it to withhold from the public
B: for it to withhold from the public

In answer B, using the word "for" changes the meaning of the sentence and the intentions of the Supreme Court. By saying they are awarding the CIA powers "for" a purpose, they are saying that the Supreme Court awarded the CIA more power knowing they would use it for that purpose and ONLY that purpose. This isn't true - they just gave the CIA more power, but it's not clear WHY they did so.

The word "enabling" is a much stronger choice to show that the Supreme Court is giving the CIA power, and that power allows them to withhold information. Using "enabling" shows that the court decision is a cause, and withholding information is an effect, which is the intended meaning. The court didn't give them the power to withhold information directly - they did that indirectly by awarding them more power. Therefore, this is the right answer.

So can we say that (B) is grammatically correct? and since the original sentence has no grammatical error we stick to the meaning of the original sentence?

The reason I ask this question is that, at times, I am down to two options that (I believe) have no grammatical error. Then things get a bit serious for me :P
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hi WinWinMBA,

Thank you for your question.

Let's start by looking at the first major difference I saw when looking over the question quickly: it vs. they/them. Since the pronoun is referring back to the Central Intelligence Agency, which is a singular noun, the pronoun should match - so let's keep answers A, B, and C because they use the singular "it" or no pronoun at all. Therefore, we can eliminate answers D & E because they use the plural "they" or "them," which is wrong.

Answer C should also go because it doesn't clearly state WHO gets to do the withholding, and it sounds awkward. This leaves us with answers A & B. Let's look at what is different about each one:

A: enabling it to withhold from the public
B: for it to withhold from the public

In answer B, using the word "for" changes the meaning of the sentence and the intentions of the Supreme Court. By saying they are awarding the CIA powers "for" a purpose, they are saying that the Supreme Court awarded the CIA more power knowing they would use it for that purpose and ONLY that purpose. This isn't true - they just gave the CIA more power, but it's not clear WHY they did so.

The word "enabling" is a much stronger choice to show that the Supreme Court is giving the CIA power, and that power allows them to withhold information. Using "enabling" shows that the court decision is a cause, and withholding information is an effect, which is the intended meaning. The court didn't give them the power to withhold information directly - they did that indirectly by awarding them more power. Therefore, this is the right answer.

So can we say that (B) is grammatically correct? and since the original sentence has no grammatical error we stick to the meaning of the original sentence?

The reason I ask this question is that, at times, I am down to two options that (I believe) have no grammatical error. Then things get a bit serious for me :P

Hello Hoozan,

We hope this finds you well.

To resolve your query - yes; your understanding is correct. Option B is grammatically correct; its only error is that it changes the original meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
D and E are about because of 'they'
C is wordy

Between A and B concentrate on powers for:
Powers for something, we should expect a noun while there is a clause

A looks better
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
shivambangia2

A good policy is to avoid ever eliminating an answer just because it is "wordy." Sometimes the wordiest answer is correct! The wrong answers should actually be INCORRECT in some way we can describe. On rare occasions, you might see an SC in which the right answer is simply worded more cleanly than an alternative that is not inherently wrong, but this is actually quite rare. As folks have noted above, B is wrong because of its meaning, not because it is wordy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Why option "enabling it to withhold from the public" doesn't have comma (,) in the answer?
Without comma (,), it seems that enabling is modifying the power and not representing the cause - effect relationship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Shouldnt there be a 'comma' before enabling?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts