GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 18:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2019, 23:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:13) correct 51% (01:13) wrong based on 444 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 158: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act, which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists.

A) which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists

B) that grants law enforcement officials greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists

C) granting law enforcement officials greater authority with investigating suspected terrorists

D) which will grant law enforcement officials greater authority for suspected terrorist investigations

E) having granted law enforcement officials greater authority for investigating suspected terrorists

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Senior SC Moderator
V
By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2019, 23:15
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

generis wrote:

• HIGHLIGHTS

The bad news? "Authority IN investigating" in option A is idiomatic.

The good news? We don't need to resort to idiom to solve this question.

This question is a very good example of the basic rule: look for four incorrect answers. Never look for one best answer.

I researched "authority in investigating." I did not believe it was idiomatic. I was incorrect. The phrase is idiomatic.

Emphasis? Focus? Do we care about the vote count? Maybe. After we read the second part of the sentence, do we care about the vote count?
No.
The underlined portion says nothing about that rather astonishing vote.
In every option, the underlined portion talks about the content of the Patriot Act.
We should look for words that highlight the latter.

THE PROMPT

By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act, which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists.
THE OPTIONS

Quote:
A) By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act, which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists.

authority in investigation is idiomatic
This sentence is in at least three of my wheelhouses, but I had never heard of "in investigating."
I looked it up in four very credible sources. Yes, it's considered an idiom. There's a good takeaway from this option, mentioned below.
• the rest of the sentence is fine
• If you are not certain about an idiom, keep the answer.
KEEP

Quote:
B) By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act,that grants law enforcement officials greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists.

• a comma should not precede a that-clause because a that-clause defines the noun and a comma suggests that a modifier is not essential
ELIMINATE

Quote:
C) granting law enforcement officials greater authority with investigating suspected terrorists
with investigating is nonsense. Try a similar but simpler example.
The CEO gave me greater authority with investigating the mistake.
I have more authority together with investigating the mistake? :x
I have greater authority accompanied by investigating the mistake? :x
• "with investigating" is not idiomatic.
granting is not great. ___ING words are very useful, but they are not as strong as regular verbs in this context (regular verbs such as granted in option A).
• wrong focus. In this case "granting" describes the whole preceding clause. We care about the content of the Act.
ELIMINATE

Quote:
D) By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act, which will grant law enforcement officials greater authority for suspected terrorist investigations.

• no reason exists to use future tense: the law was already enacted
• authority for suspected terrorist investigations?
-- authority for is not correct in this case. Check one possible meaning:
-- meaning: are there terrorist investigations that are themselves suspected? The phrasing is horrible.
ELIMINATE

E) By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act, having granted law enforcement officials greater authority for investigating suspected terrorists.
• "for investigating" is not idiomatic
• no reason exists to use having granted. Having + past participle implies that something is to some. (Having studied hard, he passed the exam.)
Eliminate.

By POE, the answer is A.

• ISSUES and takeaways

J2S2019 , I shared your doubts when I first read the question.
You will not like this answer much . . . but whether we need infinitive or an ___ing word turns on idiom.
Find other issues. We can do so here

• One clue. . . often, when the verbING word is needed to correct a mistake created by the use of the infinitive, that participle will have a preposition before it.

That situation is true in this question: "IN" investigating.
(Yes, the other __ING phrases are accompanied by the prepositions with and for. We can figure out that "with" is ridiculous. The two options that use "for __ING" contain fatal verb errors.)

Finally, this question is a good poster child for:
1) not panicking - do not panic if you cannot figure out the idiom. GMAC almost always puts in another decision point.
2) POE -- get through the options. See what is left. Forget about a "good" sentence.
Choose the sentence that is the "least bad,"

I like your answers.
This is the place to get the wrinkles out. Kudos to all (even with a wrong answer) who explained.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Happy kudos.
Manager
Manager
S
Re: By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2019, 23:18
generis can you please underline the art in question, it would make it easier to read.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
V
Re: By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 00:25
itoyj wrote:
generis can you please underline the art in question, it would make it easier to read.

Edited. Thank you. :) :)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.79
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 08:49
Though I was torn between A and C, i'll give the explanation a shot...

A) which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists

CORRECT: "Which" correctly modifies "USA Patriot Act". "In investigating" is the right idiom.

B) that grants law enforcement officials greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists

INCORRECT: The use of "that" after a comma is incorrect.

INCORRECT: "with investigating" is not the right idiom. Further, a gerund in this case is unwarranted because this has already happened (?)

D) which will grant law enforcement officials greater authority for suspected terrorist investigations

INCORRECT: "authorty for" uses an incorrect idiom.

E) having granted law enforcement officials greater authority for investigating suspected terrorists

INCORRECT: Same as D. Usage of gerund incorrect for same reasons as C.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 09:10
IMO the correct answer is A though i am not confident about it.
I came to this answer by POE

A) which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists - "..,which" a non-restrictive noun modifier is correctly modifying the just before noun "the USA Patriot Act" - Correct in terms of meaning - "grants" as a verb is correct in accordance with singular noun "the USA Patriot Act" - Correct;
but "in investigating" is what making me not happy here; "to investigate" should have been s better choice in my point of view; - Keep this option (Correct)
generis it will be very helpful if you kindly elaborate more regarding the difference of infinitive usage & the usage of " in investigating" in this option -

B) that grants law enforcement officials greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists - "that...." a restrictive clause is used with "," which is incorrect, also in terms of meaning it is not conveying the correct view; there is no more than one "the USA Patriot Act" & "that" can only refer to a subset of occurance - so incorrect.

C) granting law enforcement officials greater authority with investigating suspected terrorists - now VerbING modifier is modifying the entire preceding cluase; here "granting" seems modifying the result of the preceding clause, but it is not sharing the same subject, the "law" is what enabling the offcials by meaning of the sentence not the actual subject of the preceding clause, i.e "the United States Senate " . Participial verbING modifier usage is not correct; also "with investigating" is probably not the correct idiomatic usage (though i am not sure :dazed ) - Incorrect

D) which will grant law enforcement officials greater authority for suspected terrorist investigations - Verb tense error, unnecessary usage of Future tense; "for suspected terrorist investigations " is awkward - Incorrect

E) having granted law enforcement officials greater authority for investigating suspected terrorists - Same error as C - Incorrect
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 11:09
J2S2019 wrote:
generis it will be very helpful if you kindly elaborate more regarding the difference of infinitive usage & the usage of " in investigating" in this option -

J2S2019 , sure. :)

Do you mean now or when I write the OE?

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 11:28
[quote="generis"]

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The question basically wants you to choose between the USA Patriot ACT VS this complete action - the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act.
The best way to convey is to talk about what this ACT does . So use of WHICH to modify/refer ACT is appropriate here . The whole purpose to tell this sentence is to talk about this ACT .

A) which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists KEEP

B) that grants law enforcement officials greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists - this is very close call , but if you look closely that comma before THAT is not underlined so you can easily take the chance of selecting option A over B .

C) granting law enforcement officials greater authority with investigating suspected terrorists- Now this is working as another modifier which is modifying the ACT . This would be the least choice as GMAT doesnt like ambiguity .Also WITH is not proper here.

D) which will grant law enforcement officials greater authority for suspected terrorist investigations - When all the non underlined portion is in past then you should avoid the future tense .

E) having granted law enforcement officials greater authority for investigating suspected terrorists - We use -ing mostly in the begining of the sentence . this sentence is not describing the intended meaning of the sentence .SO REJECT

Final winner is A . yipeee
Director
Director
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 11:34
Quote:

Let's tackle this one.
Just a little rephrasing to make oneself clear: the United States Senate, By a vote of 98 to 1, enacted the USA Patriot Act, which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists.

One the first read nothing seems obviously wrong. The which should jump out but it is as close as it can be to the Act. So I guess we should be fine.
You should realise comma is not underlined (You should not ignore it is what I am saying)

B) that grants law enforcement officials greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists See I told you don't ignore the comma. The "that" cannot be used if we have a comma. You can say Act that... but you cannot say Act, that. You are not emphasising anymore.

C) granting law enforcement officials greater authority with investigating suspected terrorists It is the Act that is granting not the whole fact that US Senate blah blah..

D) which will grant law enforcement officials greater authority for suspected terrorist investigations Well, two things. The authority for is not the right usage. Second (and I guess easier to spot because even I am not sure of idiom) is the fact that authority is for investigation and not for suspected terrorist. So the former phrase should be closer to the word authority.

E) having granted law enforcement officials greater authority for investigating suspected terrorists For reasons comibined in C and D.

IMO A is what best we can do.

Thank you!

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 00:30

Prethinking. The underlined part is after a complete clause, giving two possible constructions for the modifier. 1) which/that 2) Verb-ing

Which/that would indicate additional information about the nearest noun, whereas verbing will indicate result of the "main clause". Here which is more appropriate.

A) which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists- Which is correct. AUthority in investigating is correct.

B) that grants law enforcement officials greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists- Comma that is not a valid construction. Elliminate

C) granting law enforcement officials greater authority with investigating suspected terrorists-AS discussed, Verbing indicates the result of enacting the law. However the modifier is just describing what the law is. Hence incorrect. Besides, Authority in is preffered over authority with.

D) which will grant law enforcement officials greater authority for suspected terrorist investigations-Will grant is not acceptable. Would would have been acceptable as the sentence is in past tense. Authority for suspected terrorist is poor construction. IT should be authority for investigating suspected terrorist.

E) having granted law enforcement officials greater authority for investigating suspected terrorists - Having+past participle indicates an action that is already done before the main action, and hence changes the meaning.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 01:22
I would have gone with A too except for the "authority in" vs "authority to". I thought "authority in" is incorrect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 01:26
pzgupta wrote:
I would have gone with A too except for the "authority in" vs "authority to". I thought "authority in" is incorrect.

Remember, Idioms arent everything. Use them as the last option. IF you begin with them, you just have to be hell lot of lucky.
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 01:35
pzgupta wrote:

Wait. I'm confused.

You thought that authority IN was idiomatic and you would have gone for A?
Option A does use authority IN investigating.

I am confused.
It doesn't matter. We do not have to resort to the idiom anyway.

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 01:37
I have posted the official explanation HERE
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 02:35
generis wrote:
pzgupta wrote:

Wait. I'm confused.

You thought that authority IN was idiomatic and you would have gone for A?
Option A does use authority IN investigating.

I am confused.
It doesn't matter. We do not have to resort to the idiom anyway.

Sorry. I meant I would have chosen A if not for the use of "authority in". I chose B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 07:01
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

generis wrote:

• HIGHLIGHTS

The bad news? "Authority IN investigating" is idiomatic.

The good news? We don't need to resort to idiom to solve this question.

This question is a very good example of the basic rule: look for four incorrect answers. Never look for one best answer.

I have researched "authority in investigating." I did not believe it was idiomatic. I was incorrect. The phrase is idiomatic.

Emphasis? Focus? Do we care about the vote count?
No.
The underlined portion says nothing about that rather astonishing vote.
In every option, the underlined portion talks about the content of the Patriot Act.
We should look for words that highlight the latter.

THE PROMPT

THE OPTIONS

Quote:
A) By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act, which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists.

authority in investigation is idiomatic
This sentence is in at least three of my wheelhouses, but I had never heard of "in investigating."
I looked it up in four very credible sources. Yes, it's considered an idiom. There's a good takeaway from this option, mentioned below.
• the rest of the sentence is fine
KEEP

Quote:
B) By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act,that grants law enforcement officials greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists.

• a comma should not precede a that-clause because a that-clause defines the noun and a comma suggests that a modifier is not essential
ELIMINATE

Quote:
• with investigating is not idiomatic and all we have to do is think about "with" for a moment to realize that the word is wrong.
granting is not great. ___ING words are very useful, but they are not as strong as regular verbs.
ELIMINATE

Quote:
D) By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act, which will grant law enforcement officials greater authority for suspected terrorist investigations.

• no reason exists to use future tense: the law was already enacted
• authority for suspected terrorist investigations?
-- authority for is not correct
-- meaning: are there terrorist investigations that are themselves suspected? The phrasing is horrible.
ELIMINATE

E) By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot Act, having granted law enforcement officials greater authority for investigating suspected terrorists.
• for investigating is not idiomatic
• no reason exists to use having granted. Having + past participle implies that something is to some. (Having studied hard, he passed the exam.)
Eliminate.

By POE, the answer is A.

• ISSUES and takeaways

J2S2019 , I shared your doubts when I first read the question.
You will not like this answer much . . . but whether an idiom or an ___ing word is needed turns on idiom.
Find other issues. We can do so here

• One clue. . . often, when the verbING word is needed to correct a mistake created by the use of the infinitive, that participle will have a preposition before it.

That situation is true in this question. IN investigating.

Finally, this question is a good poster child for:
1) not panicking - do not panic if you cannot figure out the idiom. GMAC almost always puts in another decision point.
2) POE -- get through the options. See what is left. Forget about a "good" sentence.
Choose the sentence that is the "least bad,"

I like your answers.
This is the place to get the wrinkles out. Kudos to all (even with a wrong answer) who explained.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Happy kudos.

Thats so kind of you generis
Thanks a ton for the explanation.
Happy to be a part of SC Butler :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 17:25

A) which grants law enforcement officials greater authority in investigating suspected terrorists - correct

B) that grants law enforcement officials greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists - comma before "that" is incorrect

C) granting law enforcement officials greater authority with investigating suspected terrorists - it's the Act that grants authority ~ the use of "granting" implies that it's the Senate

D) which will grant law enforcement officials greater authority for suspected terrorist investigations - "will" wrong tense

E) having granted law enforcement officials greater authority for investigating suspected terrorists - wrong tense
Non-Human User
Re: which vs. that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 02:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: which vs. that   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2019, 02:02

By a vote of 98 to 1, the United States Senate enacted the USA Patriot

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics