It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 04:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [1], given: 25

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
Heres my take on this:

D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

it may be possible shows uncertainity, while the original sentence has certainity so i'm going to eliminate this answer.

E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term.

These does not have a clear antecedent. The operation's products? Off with this option.

A,B,C all seem pretty close.

C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term.

its does not have a clear antecedent. In this sentence it seems to refer to the goals of the company's products. So off with this option too.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

Again, its does not seem to have an antecedent.

B: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

Here the company is mentioned in the first line itself. A company's managers can... in order to meet its short and long term goals.

The word managers can be removed and still the sentence would be fine.
A company can...in order to meet its...goals.

Also...each of the company's products... is written instead of 'each of its products' to avoid reference to 'managers'.

So B seems to be the best answer.

Of course since you have already mentioned that B is the answer, our minds will be a bit biased. Would help if you would put the answer in a spoiler.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Kudos [?]: 104 [1], given: 25

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 66

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 01:21
My take is E.Correctly placed modifiers in E.Who is applying optimization techniques?Managers.So down to B and E.In B,a company’s managers is incorrect.Are you sure OA is b?

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 66

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 08:18
I have doubt with B because it uses its for Company's Managers which is incorrect.. its may also be used for Company's products which is also incorrect...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

WE 1: Engineering

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 08:45
B

wording is just not right - each of a company's products !!!!!!!!!! A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

b: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

"its" ..... whose ? company's or product's ? C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term

(siyer) "These" does not have a antecedent and "it may be" shows uncertainty . D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

(siyer) "These" does not have a antecedent. E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 43

Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 09:09
As far as I know you can add possession only to concrete nouns, meaning you can "feel/hear/touch/smell" the noun (correct me if I'm wrong). the company sounds like a noun that in my opinion is not concrete. so any use of company's sounds odd. Yet each of the answer choices uses this noun with possession in some way or another. So if I ignore the seemingly possession mistake I'd say that since the bold part should start with something that is modified by the first part of the sentence we can only choose between B & E.
B is phrased more concisely than E (again disregarding the possession mistake).
So I would pick B.

Can I ask what is the source of the question?

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 43

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 12:09
Taking into a consideration the first part of the sentences, B is perfect.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 12:16
pseudotix wrote:
I have doubt with B because it uses its for Company's Managers which is incorrect.. its may also be used for Company's products which is also incorrect...

pronoun "its" can refers to a possessive noun, it does not break any rules. B wins because of concision and style.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 13:07
rlevochkin wrote:
Taking into a consideration the first part of the sentences, B is perfect.

True. Considering that there is a comma, choice B seems correct.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 13:17
Actually,

Its is the possessive form of "it." (Its is a possessive pronoun).

Therefore, just to make it clear - "its" should refer to a possessive noun.

rlevochkin wrote:
pseudotix wrote:

pronoun "its" can refers to a possessive noun, it does not break any rules. B wins because of concision and style.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 21:46
Thanks adishail.. a difference of ' made all that fuss.. Thank you all

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 283 [1], given: 172

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2010, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
nitya34 wrote:
good point!
I did some research with my MGMAT Book
I got it right
"each of a company’s products" is SINGULAR

'its' is a possessive pronoun that refers back to each of a company’s products (a possessive noun)

Singular--Singular

I actually think that this answer is wrong since that would mean that "each of the company's product" has a short and long term goal? - this doesn't make sense as opposed to a company that has long and short terms!

IMO the best answer is E even though it has These, B changes the meaning

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

Kudos [?]: 283 [1], given: 172

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 485 [5], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 19:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
q10nik, the possessive pronoun "its" here actually stands in for "company's":

Jane's father is going to the store. Her mother is also going to the store. CORRECT (possessive "Her"=possessive "Jane's")

Jane's father is going to the store. She is also going to the mechanic. INCORRECT (The possessive word "Jane's" CANNOT be the antecedent for the subject pronoun "she")

---

The pronoun "these" without an antecedent is a nice way to knock off D and E quickly. Another pronoun issue that no one's mentioned yet is the "it/its" issue. If you use the general "it" ("it is hard to run while balancing a bucket of water on your head") you cannot use "it" again to refer to a different antecedent in the sentence.

a) it (general!) is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its (specific-- the company's) goals in both the short and long terms

c) it (general!) can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its (specific-- the company's) goals, both short and long term

Therefore A and C are also out.

Based on pronoun issues alone you can lose A, C, D, and E!

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 485 [5], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2010, 13:39
chose B. clarifies who is applying the methods

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2010, 19:05
+1 for B.

Modifier issue eliminated A, C, D

Go Blue!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 5

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 19:37
Hey all, I know I'm bumping a very old thread, but I just encountered this problem, and consider all the choices to be wrong.

I got the question correct, choosing B as the lesser of five evils.

However, it uses the pronoun 'its' which does not have a proper antecedent. You can assume that the antecedent should be 'the company'. However, if you notice, 'company' never exists as a noun in the sentence, only "a company's managers" and "the company's products".

Am I missing something here?

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8199 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 23:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
‘Its’ is a possessive pronoun and the ‘company’s’ is also a possessive noun. What more is required for proper reference? May I know the reason for asking for a possessive pronoun to stand for a non-possessive noun such as “a company”.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8199 [1], given: 364

SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1641 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2011, 12:45
alexBLR wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Just based on sentence structure, the only possible answers can be narrowed down to (B) and (E).
Both allow the "-ING" verb to describe the subject of the main part of the sentence after the comma.

However in (E), it's unclear what "these products" is referring to.

In (B), it is much clearer when the sentence says "company's products." Sure, the sentence does not directly mention "company" earlier in the sentence. Instead it says "a company's managers"---but still it's pretty clear what we're talking about here. Much clearer than it is in (E).

Could (B) have been written to be even clearer by directly saying "company" instead of "a company's..."---sure. But remember the GMAT exam is never black or white. It's not about what is absolutely technically correct. Doing well is about choosing the best of the available answer choices. And in the case, don't waste time by mulling over minute details in (B). (B) is the best from the list.

Kudos [?]: 1641 [0], given: 8

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1126 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2011, 13:14
+1 B

"these" in E doesn't have a clear referent.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2011, 13:29
fluke wrote:
dc123 wrote:
C is perfect

Can I ask, why?

C cannot be perfect because you need a clear subject for the subordinate phrase "By applying...operations".

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2011, 19:48
I pick B. D is out with 'may' and E is out with 'these products'. A is out with 'a company's products' . Between B and C, B looks more straight.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 18

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations   [#permalink] 16 May 2011, 19:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 100 posts ] 

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap