It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 01:08
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 01:39
IMO B
case of dangling modifier...we have to introduce a noun

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 10:38
alexBLR wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Its B !!

Because of Dangling modifier issue, A/C/D out, Between B & E , E : use of these products is wrong makes sentence meaning ambiguous

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 298

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2014, 09:04
daagh wrote:
‘Its’ is a possessive pronoun and the ‘company’s’ is also a possessive noun. What more is required for proper reference? May I know the reason for asking for a possessive pronoun to stand for a non-possessive noun such as “a company”.

Daagh, Which answer choice are you advocating.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 298

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2014, 17:28
GMATPill wrote:
alexBLR wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Just based on sentence structure, the only possible answers can be narrowed down to (B) and (E).
Both allow the "-ING" verb to describe the subject of the main part of the sentence after the comma.

However in (E), it's unclear what "these products" is referring to.

In (B), it is much clearer when the sentence says "company's products." Sure, the sentence does not directly mention "company" earlier in the sentence. Instead it says "a company's managers"---but still it's pretty clear what we're talking about here. Much clearer than it is in (E).

Could (B) have been written to be even clearer by directly saying "company" instead of "a company's..."---sure. But remember the GMAT exam is never black or white. It's not about what is absolutely technically correct. Doing well is about choosing the best of the available answer choices. And in the case, don't waste time by mulling over minute details in (B). (B) is the best from the list.

Thank you for the explanation. I went for E because I thought "its" was unclear in B , and the company's long term and short term goals was clearer. I didn't pay attention to " these products" in E.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 148

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-05-2014
GPA: 2.8

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2014, 09:05
Even though I got this one right, I am not happy with the question. The introduction of manager actually has given a new direction to the question.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 44

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2014, 09:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED

a) it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

b) a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

c) it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term

d) it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

e) managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term
[Reveal] Spoiler: DOUBT
I encountered this question in a Manhattan Mock GMAT. My doubt here is whether "its" here can refer to company in option (B) since "company" is in possessive case here.

Last edited by PiyushK on 05 Oct 2014, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
edited subject and added spoiler.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 44

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8933 [1], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2014, 21:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
madhavmarda wrote:

a) it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

b) a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

c) it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term

d) it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

e) managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

I encountered this question in a Manhattan Mock GMAT. My doubt here is whether "its" here can refer to company in option (B) since "company" is in possessive case here.

Dear madhavmarda
I'm happy to respond. :-) As always, MGMAT is spot-on correct; they write excellent questions.

You see, a noun in the possessive cannot be the antecedent of a pronoun unless the pronoun is also in the possessive. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-pronoun-traps/

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8933 [1], given: 111

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1929 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2014, 21:19
madhavmarda : Follow posting guidelines.

Guidelines:
rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html

Specific instruction:
1) If you are posting a question then subject of your post must be first sentence of question.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1929 [0], given: 229

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2014, 21:26
Quote:

possessive pronoun "its" can refer to possessive noun "company's" . the rule, if any, is that non possessive pronouns cannot refer to possessive nouns . ALSO possessive pronoun can refer back to object and subject nouns

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 61

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 84

Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2014, 00:41
mikemcgarry wrote:
madhavmarda wrote:

Dear madhavmarda
I'm happy to respond. :-) As always, MGMAT is spot-on correct; they write excellent questions.

You see, a noun in the possessive cannot be the antecedent of a pronoun unless the pronoun is also in the possessive. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-pronoun-traps/

Does this make sense?

Thanks a lot Mike for the explanation. I marked E, since it makes the proper use of nouns, little did I realize that E is nothing short of being a verbiage.

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 84

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 22:15
Option B clears the dangling modifier problem and is concise and well meaning.. Hence B

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2015, 06:31

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 206

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2015, 08:09
hoangyenle wrote:
egmat wrote:
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

I was also between stuck in the end between B and E but then E was knocked because of the parallelism error in both the x and the y, however, I want to understand isnt it referring back to Company and then I remember reading about possessive poison.

Please confirm!

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

This is the sentence with Choice E:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term.

In this sentence, along with the parallelism issue that you have mentioned, “each of these products” has no reference. What are these “each of these products”? Does the sentence contain a list of products to which this phrase can be referred? No. This reference error makes choice E incorrect.

Now let’s analyze the sentence with choice B:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals.

Pronoun “its” is a possessive noun. This means it must refer to a possessive noun. There is only one possessive noun in the sentence – “company’s”. So without any ambiguity, possessive “its” is referring to “company’s”. If we replace “its” with “company’s” we get the logical intended meaning of the sentence:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet company’s short and long term goals.
Hence, this choice is error free.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for detailed explanation. However, in Choice B:
"By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals."

--> I think the "company's" in this sentence plays the role of possessive adjective, hence, can't be consider as antecedent of "its".

Quote from GMAT Manhattan:

" The board is investigating several executives' compensation packages in order to determine how much may have been improperly awarded to them"[color=#ed1c24][/color]
--> This is considered WRONG because "them" cannot refer to "executives' ".

can you help to explain and differentiate these 2 cases?

Many thanks in advance :)
YL

them is not a possessive pronoun.

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 206

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 216

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 02:01
GMATPill / @E-GMAT

Is it appropriate to say 'a company's managers' ?

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 216

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 17:41
Request you not to write your queries/answers/opinions in question window. It prevents ppl from analysing the question. The whole purpose of GMAT Club forum goes wasted by doing so.

You have response windows to do all such things.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1787 [0], given: 796

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 18:04
sagarbuss wrote:
Request you not to write your queries/answers/opinions in question window. It prevents ppl from analysing the question. The whole purpose of GMAT Club forum goes wasted by doing so.

You have response windows to do all such things.

Thank you for bringing these issues to our notice but save your energy by writing just a line instead of 3-4 for posts such as these that are very old. The original posters will not modify it now.

Next time, just mention a single line and one of the moderators will take a look at your post.

Kudos [?]: 1787 [0], given: 796

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 00:41

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 08:05
Hello,

I am not sure about the proper usage of the auxiliary verb "should". I read that it is used to express moral obligation and not f.e. to express likelihood or conditions.
However, in a CAT I answered the following question:

Correct answer: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

Is "should" properly used here? It is definitely not a moral obligation that is described in the sentence above...

Thank you very much in advance.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8933 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 11:36
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Lauch wrote:
Hello,

I am not sure about the proper usage of the auxiliary verb "should". I read that it is used to express moral obligation and not f.e. to express likelihood or conditions.
However, in a CAT I answered the following question:

Correct answer: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

Is "should" properly used here? It is definitely not a moral obligation that is described in the sentence above...

Thank you very much in advance.

Dear Lauch,
I'm happy to help. :-) In case it's helpful, here's a blog article about auxiliary verbs:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/auxiliary- ... -the-gmat/

Your question is much more specific. Here's what I'll say. It's very hard to create simple rules that encapsulate the full use of a word. Language is a living and complex thing. It's true that "should" is used to express moral obligations, but more general, it expresses obligations under all sorts of contingencies. The general format is:
If you want X, you should do Y.
If no particularly contingency is explicit, then the assumed contingency is something along the lines of "if you want to be a good person" or "if you want to go to heaven when you die" or something of that sort. All kinds of other contingencies can be expressed.
If you want to get rich, you should work for a hedge fund.
If you want to lose weight, you should cut all sweets from your diet.
If you want to rob a bank, you first should perfect your safe-cracking skills.

The context may be amoral or completely immoral. The word "should" has no intrinsic moral valence.

The sentence from the CAT is flawless.
A company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals.
Here, the contingency is expressed in an infinitive of purpose, so the context is clear, and in that context, the prescriptive "should" is 100% justified. The word "should" always implies some kind of goal, and as long as that goal or target is made clear, the effort to reach that goal or target makes perfect sense. Once again, it's only when no explicit goal is mentioned (e.g. "You should treat others with kindness") that there is an implied moral/ religious/ spiritual thrust to the statement.

An entirely separate use of "should" is also grammatically correct. It's a sophisticated way to talk about future possibility:
"Should Hillary Clinton be elected in 2016, she would be in a position to replace Supreme Court judges."
This is a hypothetical statement. Note the use of the subjunctive. We don't know whether Clinton will be elected. This is a more sophisticated way to state the future conditional statement:
"If Hillary Clinton is elected in 2016, she would be in a position to replace Supreme Court judges."
Either is perfectly correct.

It's hard to formulate simple rules that capture the living complexity of English. In fact, it's impossible to arrive at GMAT SC mastery by learning some ideal set of rules. The only way you attain mastery is to encounter all the variations present in sophisticated writing, and to do this, you need to develop a habit of reading.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8933 [0], given: 111

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2015, 11:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 100 posts ] 

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap