GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 19:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 532
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Feb 2017, 07:06
egmat
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company's products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company's products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company's managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company's products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company's products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company's short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company's goals in both the short and long term

In original sentence, doer of the action is not mentioned, whereas in OA introduces the person (company's managers ) who does the action. Is it correct?

In the following link it is said it is not correct.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-strategies ... 24296.html

Moreover, the original sentence talks about the possibility whereas OA talks about the ability (can). This seems incorrect to me.
_________________

Hasan Mahmud


Originally posted by Mahmud6 on 16 Feb 2017, 23:15.
Last edited by Mahmud6 on 17 Feb 2017, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3201
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 03:15
Mahmud6 wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company's products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company's products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company's managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company's products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company's products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company's short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company's goals in both the short and long term

In original sentence, doer of the action is not mentioned, whereas in OA introduces the person (company's managers ) who does the action. Is it correct?

In the following link it is said it is not correct.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-strategies ... 24296.html

Moreover, the original sentence talks about the possibility whereas OA talks about the ability (can). This seems incorrect to me.


Option B is alright.

Please note that nowhere in the official guide is it mentioned that the correct answer cannot convey a different meaning from that conveyed by the original sentence. If there is only one gramatically correct answer, one must select that one, even if it differs in meaning from the original question.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jun 2016
Posts: 90
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 00:37
In option b, its (its short and long term goals)may refer to company's managers or copany's products, so it leads to ambiguity, please correct me if i am wrong..


and one more thing, why option'c' is wrong?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3201
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 02:00
1
VKat wrote:
In option b, its (its short and long term goals)may refer to company's managers or copany's products, so it leads to ambiguity, please correct me if i am wrong..


and one more thing, why option'c' is wrong?


"It" is singular and hence cannot refer to "managers" or "products. "It" (its) unambiguously refers to "company" (company's).

Though C is grammatically alright, the use of passive voice and the placeholder "it" at the beginning of the sentence are necessary. B is a more direct way of expressing the facts stated.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3638
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 11:01
I understand that B is correct. But not able to understand what is wrong with E. Can someone please help me understand the error?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - Click here.



NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - Click here.



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 28 Jun 2015
Posts: 90
Location: Australia
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 16:56
1
abhimahna wrote:
I understand that B is correct. But not able to understand what is wrong with E. Can someone please help me understand the error?


By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Hi abhimahna


E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

"these" is missing an antecedent. Hence E is OUT [please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong]

I see you have already cracked 700. Congratulations.

Cheers
TheRzS
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3638
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 23:29
TheRzS wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Hi abhimahna


E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

"these" is missing an antecedent. Hence E is OUT [please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong]

I see you have already cracked 700. Congratulations.

Cheers
TheRzS


OMG. How can I miss such an easy point?

Anyways, thanks friend. :)

Yes, I do have 700 on my list but targeting atleast 750 now. :-D
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - Click here.



NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - Click here.



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 573
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 07:26
abhimahna wrote:
TheRzS wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Hi abhimahna


E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term



"these" is missing an antecedent. Hence E is OUT [please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong]

I see you have already cracked 700. Congratulations.

Cheers
TheRzS


OMG. How can I miss such an easy point?

Anyways, thanks friend. :)

Yes, I do have 700 on my list but targeting atleast 750 now. :-D



Just a random thought, can we also say that we require both the short and "the"long term -- in the format both X and Y?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3201
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 11:11
warriorguy wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
TheRzS wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Hi abhimahna


E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term



"these" is missing an antecedent. Hence E is OUT [please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong]

I see you have already cracked 700. Congratulations.

Cheers
TheRzS


OMG. How can I miss such an easy point?

Anyways, thanks friend. :)

Yes, I do have 700 on my list but targeting atleast 750 now. :-D



Just a random thought, can we also say that we require both the short and "the"long term -- in the format both X and Y?


Yes, in that case, the construction should be: both (the short term) AND (the long term).
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Apr 2017
Posts: 15
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 04:21
I do agree that option B is the best choice out of all the options, but could someone explain to me how "a company's managers" is correct?

'A' is used to refer to singular subjects, whereas managers is plural.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Posts: 54
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 23:20
in the actual sentence it does not say that the "manager" determines anything. so i am confused how B can be the right option.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Apr 2016
Posts: 55
Location: India
Schools: Great Lakes
GMAT 1: 660 Q37 V42
GPA: 2.99
WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 10:30
Can an expert pls help with this question.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4668
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 13:37
doeadoer wrote:
Can an expert pls help with this question.

Dear doeadoer,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am going to chide you. What you have asked is not a high quality question. it probably took you 15 seconds to write and post that question---virtually no engagement on your part. Think about what an expert will think when reading it. There are over three pages of comments in this thread, a ton of information. What parts do you understand? What parts don't make sense to you? Nobody reading your question would any idea. Asking a detailed thoughtful question will help an expert give you a more focused response, but more importantly, investing that energy into the process will enhance your own understanding and prepare you to receive any information more deeply. Students naively think that education is something that the experts do to them, and that the student's role is that of a passive recipient. In fact, education is something you do very much for yourself and by yourself, and we experts can only support you if you are doing the work yourself. One of the habits of excellent is the art of asking good questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions
My challenge to you is to read that blog carefully and thoughtfully; then, come back to this thread, and analyze everything that every expert says in this thread, and think deeply about all of that. It may be that all this will be enough to answer your own questions, but if you still have a question, write the most detailed and thoughtful question you can, explaining everything your do understand and what still confused you. If you ask that excellent question, I will be more than happy to answer it.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 13:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 93 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.