It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 13:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 18:25
arkadiyua wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

a) it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
b) a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
c) it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
d) it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
e) managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Have a difficulty understanding the reason for correctness of the OA for this one. Will appreicate a thorough explanation.

Thanks!

OA is B

I went with B..
by applying x, -> we need a subject here. managers applied smth to get smth else.
A - modifier error as above explained.
B - looks ok
C - boh short and long term - what it refers to? + modifier error as in A. THESE - doesn't have an antecedent
D - introduces a POSSIBILITY - so no. these - again error
E - managers at a company - way wordier. these - again pronoun error.

B looks better. B it is.

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 01:04
Sorry to bring this up again! BUT I m a little bit confused about this question.

I came down to B and E, and I found both of them had the errors.

E - use "these" with no antecedent
B - use its as a possessive pronoun of company's managers; this one is correct, but they used "A" company's managers. Is this correct?

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3312 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 08:46
nighthawks wrote:
Sorry to bring this up again! BUT I m a little bit confused about this question.

B - use its as a possessive pronoun of company's managers; this one is correct, but they used "A" company's managers. Is this correct?

The usage in B is valid. Take another example (from a famous song):

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend."

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 09:25
sayantanc2k wrote:
nighthawks wrote:

Thank you for your answer, but I am still curious; company's managers is singular or plural? if it is plural how it "A" is correct?

I totally understand if it used A company's manager .... as a singular

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 08:00
nighthawks wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
nighthawks wrote:

Thank you for your answer, but I am still curious; company's managers is singular or plural? if it is plural how it "A" is correct?

I totally understand if it used A company's manager .... as a singular

The article "a" refers to the "company's", not "manager(s)". It does not matter whether the manager(s) is singular or plural.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2016, 21:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 186

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 23:15
egmat
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company's products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company's products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company's managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company's products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company's products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company's short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company's goals in both the short and long term

In original sentence, doer of the action is not mentioned, whereas in OA introduces the person (company's managers ) who does the action. Is it correct?

In the following link it is said it is not correct.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-strategies ... 24296.html

Moreover, the original sentence talks about the possibility whereas OA talks about the ability (can). This seems incorrect to me.

Hasan Mahmud

Last edited by Mahmud6 on 17 Feb 2017, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 186

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 03:15
Mahmud6 wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company's products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company's products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company's managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company's products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company's products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company's short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company's goals in both the short and long term

In original sentence, doer of the action is not mentioned, whereas in OA introduces the person (company's managers ) who does the action. Is it correct?

In the following link it is said it is not correct.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-strategies ... 24296.html

Moreover, the original sentence talks about the possibility whereas OA talks about the ability (can). This seems incorrect to me.

Option B is alright.

Please note that nowhere in the official guide is it mentioned that the correct answer cannot convey a different meaning from that conveyed by the original sentence. If there is only one gramatically correct answer, one must select that one, even if it differs in meaning from the original question.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 00:37
In option b, its (its short and long term goals)may refer to company's managers or copany's products, so it leads to ambiguity, please correct me if i am wrong..

and one more thing, why option'c' is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3312 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
VKat wrote:
In option b, its (its short and long term goals)may refer to company's managers or copany's products, so it leads to ambiguity, please correct me if i am wrong..

and one more thing, why option'c' is wrong?

"It" is singular and hence cannot refer to "managers" or "products. "It" (its) unambiguously refers to "company" (company's).

Though C is grammatically alright, the use of passive voice and the placeholder "it" at the beginning of the sentence are necessary. B is a more direct way of expressing the facts stated.

Kudos [?]: 3312 [1], given: 22

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 799 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 11:01
I understand that B is correct. But not able to understand what is wrong with E. Can someone please help me understand the error?

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 16:56
This post received
KUDOS
abhimahna wrote:
I understand that B is correct. But not able to understand what is wrong with E. Can someone please help me understand the error?

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

Hi abhimahna

E: managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

"these" is missing an antecedent. Hence E is OUT [please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong]

I see you have already cracked 700. Congratulations.

Cheers
TheRzS

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 112

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 23:29
TheRzS wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations,it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

A: it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
B: a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
C: it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
D: it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

Hi abhimahna

"these" is missing an antecedent. Hence E is OUT [please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong]

Cheers
TheRzS

OMG. How can I miss such an easy point?

Anyways, thanks friend. :)

Yes, I do have 700 on my list but targeting atleast 750 now. :-D

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 07:26
abhimahna wrote:
TheRzS wrote:

Hi abhimahna

Cheers
TheRzS

Just a random thought, can we also say that we require both the short and "the"long term -- in the format both X and Y?

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 11:11
warriorguy wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
TheRzS wrote:

Hi abhimahna

Cheers
TheRzS

Just a random thought, can we also say that we require both the short and "the"long term -- in the format both X and Y?

Yes, in that case, the construction should be: both (the short term) AND (the long term).

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 137

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 04:21
I do agree that option B is the best choice out of all the options, but could someone explain to me how "a company's managers" is correct?

'A' is used to refer to singular subjects, whereas managers is plural.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 137

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 23:20
in the actual sentence it does not say that the "manager" determines anything. so i am confused how B can be the right option.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 236

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 61

WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 10:30
Can an expert pls help with this question.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 61

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8455 [0], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 13:37
doeadoer wrote:
Can an expert pls help with this question.

Dear doeadoer,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am going to chide you. What you have asked is not a high quality question. it probably took you 15 seconds to write and post that question---virtually no engagement on your part. Think about what an expert will think when reading it. There are over three pages of comments in this thread, a ton of information. What parts do you understand? What parts don't make sense to you? Nobody reading your question would any idea. Asking a detailed thoughtful question will help an expert give you a more focused response, but more importantly, investing that energy into the process will enhance your own understanding and prepare you to receive any information more deeply. Students naively think that education is something that the experts do to them, and that the student's role is that of a passive recipient. In fact, education is something you do very much for yourself and by yourself, and we experts can only support you if you are doing the work yourself. One of the habits of excellent is the art of asking good questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions
My challenge to you is to read that blog carefully and thoughtfully; then, come back to this thread, and analyze everything that every expert says in this thread, and think deeply about all of that. It may be that all this will be enough to answer your own questions, but if you still have a question, write the most detailed and thoughtful question you can, explaining everything your do understand and what still confused you. If you ask that excellent question, I will be more than happy to answer it.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8455 [0], given: 102

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 13:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 100 posts ] 

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap