Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [5]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: By constructing new windmill farms, consumption of fossil fuels are re [#permalink]
it has to be C :Constructing new windmill farms reduces fossil fuel consumption and keeps tons of noxious emissions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: By constructing new windmill farms, consumption of fossil fuels are re [#permalink]
daagh,
Can you please explain how in option E the first part is in actie voice and second part is in passive voice?

Can you give some more examples for more clarity
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
DAAGH wrote :New windmill farms, when constructed, reduce fossil fuel consumption, and also tons of noxious emissions are kept -- first part of the sentence is active voice while the part is passive voice ---

this is not correct
A sentence can very well have an active and passive statements .
the reason why E is wrong is because of this construction :New windmill farms, when constructed, reduce fossil fuel consumption
this construction gives a nonsensical meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Hi aditya,
Thanks a lot for your explanation first .I am surfing this forum for a quite sometime and am seeing you pointing out flaws specifically with daagh. You can just point out that active voice and passive voice can be made parallel in GMAT rather to say what daagh wrote is wrong.

I have learn a lot through the daagh's posts , and it doesn't meant that i didn't learn from your posts :-D .We are here only to learn new things for our GMAT preparation and lets keep discussion quite healthy ..No offence aditya ..keep posting good explanation as you do :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Send PM
How does C - the answer exhibit parallelism for and.. also isn't Constructing.. a modifier

Constructing new windmill farms reduces fossil fuel consumption and keeps

What is the source for this question?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
SKAMAL :Hi aditya,
Thanks a lot for your explanation first .I am surfing this forum for a quite sometime and am seeing you pointing out flaws specifically with daagh. You can just point out that active voice and passive voice can be made parallel in GMAT rather to say what daagh wrote is wrong.

I have learn a lot through the daagh's posts , and it doesn't meant that i didn't learn from your posts :-D .We are here only to learn new things for our GMAT preparation and lets keep discussion quite healthy ..No offence aditya ..keep posting good explanation as you do :-D

dont get me wrong .its not like that .its just that i like to discuss anything that is wrong for that matter .if u want i can forward u links where i have tried correcting lot of other wrong things .the fact is when something is written wrongly on these sacrosanct forums then it leads to a lot more confusion .like it led to u confusion regarding "active and passive" voice !! . if u want i can even direct to a official problems where "active and passive " voice have been shown to be parallel .having said all this i always welcome people to put new ideas to my statements .
honestly when i saw ur doubt i thought of looking at the root cause and i corrected it .else somebody reading these post might ask "oh why is it written that way"
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
nt2010 wrote:How does C - the answer exhibit parallelism for and.. also isn't Constructing.. a modifier

Constructing new windmill farms reduces fossil fuel consumption and keeps

c says:Constructing new windmill farms reduces fossil fuel consumption and keeps tons of noxious emissions

"Constructing new windmill farms" is a gerund(simple gerund to be more specific ) ,which is acting as a noun
and this noun does two things which are parallel viz :reduces and keeps

make sense ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Annie: Nguyen
Concentration: International Business, Other
GPA: 3.33
WE:Supply Chain Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Concepts Tested – Meaning (Modification), Parallelism, Pronoun Agreement
The original sentence starts off with a modifying phrase - By constructing new windmill farms,. What follows the comma should be whoever is doing this construction, but both A and B get this wrong and can be eliminated.
D - In the phrase ‘it keeps tons...’, the singular ‘it’ incorrectly refers to the plural ‘windmill farms’
Between C and E, in E the last part of the sentence starting with ‘and’ is passive and not parallel to the earlier part. Hence C is the best answer
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
There's no question here.

Please change the OP of this thread.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
dcummins wrote:
There's no question here.

Please change the OP of this thread.

Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
jumsumtak wrote:
By constructing new windmill farms, consumption of fossil fuels are reduced, and tons of noxious emissions are kept out of the atmosphere.

(A) By constructing new windmill farms, consumption of fossil fuels are reduced, and tons of noxious emissions are kept

(B) By constructing new windmill farms, it reduces consumption of fossil fuels, and tons of noxious emissions are kept

(C) Constructing new windmill farms reduces fossil fuel consumption and keeps tons of noxious emissions

(D) When new windmill farms are constructed, they reduce fossil fuel consumption, and it keeps tons of noxious emissions

(E) New windmill farms, when constructed, reduce fossil fuel consumption, and also tons of noxious emissions are kept

C - concise & correct
D&E change the meaning. Windmill farms themselves don't reduce XYZ.
A&B both have a modifier issue and in addition:
A has a verb error (are)
B - no antecedent for it

Official Explanation:

Answer: C

The original sentence starts off with a modifying phrase—By constructing new windmill farms,. What follows the comma should be whoever is doing this construction, but both A and B get this wrong and can be eliminated. In D, the phrase ‘it keeps tons...’, the singular ‘it’ incorrectly refers to the plural ‘windmill farms’. Between C and E, in E, the last part of the sentence starting with ‘and’ is passive and not parallel with the earlier part. Hence, C is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
By constructing new windmill farms, consumption of fossil fuels are reduced, and tons of noxious emissions are kept out of the atmosphere.

(A) By constructing new windmill farms, consumption of fossil fuels are reduced, and tons of noxious emissions are kept

(B) By constructing new windmill farms, it reduces consumption of fossil fuels, and tons of noxious emissions are kept

(C) Constructing new windmill farms reduces fossil fuel consumption and keeps tons of noxious emissions

(D) When new windmill farms are constructed, they reduce fossil fuel consumption, and it keeps tons of noxious emissions

(E) New windmill farms, when constructed, reduce fossil fuel consumption, and also tons of noxious emissions are kept

C - concise & correct
A has a verb error (are)
B - no antecedent for it

Official Explanation:

The original sentence starts off with a modifying phrase—By constructing new windmill farms,. What follows the comma should be whoever is doing this construction, but both A and B get this wrong and can be eliminated. In D, the phrase ‘it keeps tons...’, the singular ‘it’ incorrectly refers to the plural ‘windmill farms’. Between C and E, in E, the last part of the sentence starting with ‘and’ is passive and not parallel with the earlier part. Hence, C is the correct answer.

Hi Bunuel VeritasKarishma , thanks for posting OE, I have one query though, isn't option C implying that it is the construction that reduces the consumption of fossil fuels, which is not logical, I mean windmill can reduce consumption of fossil fuels not the construction
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

C - concise & correct
A has a verb error (are)
B - no antecedent for it

Official Explanation:

Hi Bunuel VeritasKarishma , thanks for posting OE, I have one query though, isn't option C implying that it is the construction that reduces the consumption of fossil fuels, which is not logical, I mean windmill can reduce consumption of fossil fuels not the construction
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

C - concise & correct
A has a verb error (are)
B - no antecedent for it

Official Explanation:

Constructing/building implies usage. Constructing a farm but not using it is not rational.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts