GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 03:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

By law, telephone representatives of banks as well as of any paid serv

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.61
By law, telephone representatives of banks as well as of any paid serv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Oct 2018, 06:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:31) correct 58% (01:33) wrong based on 584 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

By law, telephone representatives of banks as well as of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer identify himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made.

A. as well as of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer identify himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made

B. and of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer identifies himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made

C. and of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer will identify himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made

D. and of any paid services are obligated to request, before information is given or transactions are made, that a customer has identified himself with a social security number and an account number

E. and of any paid services must request that a customer identify himself with a social security number and an account number before a transaction is made or information is given

Originally posted by amandeep_k on 28 Nov 2016, 19:02.
Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Oct 2018, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: By law, telephone representatives of banks as well as of any paid serv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 07:10
amandeep_k wrote:
By law, telephone representatives of banks as well as of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer identify himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made.

as well as of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer identify himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made

and of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer identifies himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made

and of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer will identify himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made

and of any paid services are obligated to request, before information is given or transactions are made, that a customer has identified himself with a social security number and an account number

and of any paid services must request that a customer identify himself with a social security number and an account number before a transaction is made or information is given

Hi,

In such Qs where the sentence is in subjunctive, sentences containing command,request,desire etc, always check for the VERB following THAT.
The verb has to be in its base form

Here it is identify,so the base form identify should be used..
So identifies, will identify or has identified are all wrong...
So ONLY A and E are left..
A has ' as well as', which does not convey equal emphasis on two parts being joined and is inferior to AND

E

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
Re: By law, telephone representatives of banks as well as of any paid serv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 09:41
Request is one of the nine verbs (propose/recommend/require/request/insist/suggest/mandate/ask/demand) to which the Subjunctive rule applies if it is followed by that. This means that the next verb after request that should be in base form. This leaves us with A and E

In the construction "X as well as Y," X is the main focus and Y is of secondary importance. "X and Y" is parallel structure, and both elements are regarded equally. So, E is the correct sentence
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 02:48

as well as of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer identify himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made

and of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer identifies himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made

and of any paid services are obligated to request that a customer will identify himself with a social security number and an account number before information is given or transactions are made

and of any paid services are obligated to request, before information is given or transactions are made, that a customer has identified himself with a social security number and an account number

and of any paid services must request that a customer identify himself with a social security number and an account number before a transaction is made or information is given

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 15:51
In the last part of the sentence (E), shouldn't the two arms of OR be parallel?

"before a transaction is made or information is given". I see "a" in one arm and no article in the other. For that reason, I chose (A).

Apart from "as well as" inferiority over "and", what is wrong with (A)?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 22:20
manhasnoname wrote:

"before a transaction is made or information is given". I see "a" in one arm and no article in the other. For that reason, I chose (A).

If you see in A, we have X or Y. Here X is singular while Y is plural.

But in E, we have both X and Y ||. Hence, I would prefer the one where X and Y are of same nature either singular or plural.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 22:42
Quote:

as well as is wrong

Quote:

identifies is wrong- customer identify is the grammatically right way.

Quote:

the word 'will', makes it grammatically wrong.

Quote:

unnecessarily stretched.

Quote:

correct.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 08:55
manhasnoname wrote:

Paralleims requires the structires to be of same type - here both " a transaction is made" and "information is given" are clauses and hnece parallelsim is alright. You do not need to have article in both.

abhimahna wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:

If you see in A, we have X or Y. Here X is singular while Y is plural.

But in E, we have both X and Y ||. Hence, I would prefer the one where X and Y are of same nature either singular or plural.

No, singular / plural difference does not break parallelism - just the type of structure needs to be same.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 21:22

Elimination Round 1

And vs As well as - We use and when we are comparing two equal weight age components. Here in this question, it says that TELEPHONE REPRESENTATIVES of BANKS AND ANY OTHER PAID SERVICES. Bank representatives or telephone representatives or car representatives. They all have to follow the same rule.

Elinimation Round 2

TRANSACTION VS TRANSACTIONS - Who is doing the transaction? Not the representatives! They are not telling their card number or bank account details. It is the customer who is doing the transaction. Therefore TRANSACTION has to be singular.

Answer is E
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 05:54
in option B, is it correct to say a customer will identifies or a customer will identify
my question is since a customer is singular how can "identify " be correct?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GPA: 3.56
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 06:18
HAPPYatHARVARD wrote:
in option B, is it correct to say a customer will identifies or a customer will identify
my question is since a customer is singular how can "identify " be correct?

In Subjunctive mode of requirements the verb after " that" always take the base form.

Example : A teacher would recommend that a student read at home. ( A student singular but the verb form used is base form)
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.8
By law, telephone representatives of banks as well as of any paid serv  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 06:47
Hi BARUAH
"He will help me."
This is not a subjunctive type sentence.
Why "He" takes a plural verb "help"?

nvm: i just found that these are called MODAL AUXILIARIES .. (CAN,MAY,MIGHT,SHOULD,MUST,WILL,WOULD,COULD,SHALL)
GMAT Club Bot
By law, telephone representatives of banks as well as of any paid serv &nbs [#permalink] 18 Oct 2018, 06:47

By law, telephone representatives of banks as well as of any paid serv

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap