It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:29

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase thei

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Concentration: Human Resources, Leadership
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase thei [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 21:59
This post was
BOOKMARKED
By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase their share of the country's $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

A. their share of the country's $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country's $21 billion book market, which ranges

Last edited by broall on 05 Jul 2017, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9494 [0], given: 1203

Re: By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase thei [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 04:45
Hi

you can solve the question in 10 seconds thanks to the meaning of the sentence.

Only option E has which that modifies rightly market.

The other options do not do that

Hope it is clear.

Unfortunately I have to say to read the rules for posting in verbal section BEFORE to post a question. The are mandatory

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 05:03
carcass wrote:
Hi

Hope it is clear.

Unfortunately I have to say to read the rules for posting in verbal section BEFORE to post a question. The are mandatory

regards

Hi,

C: to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging

how you are eliminating this choice ...

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Board of Directors
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 11:04
rahultripathi2005 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Hi

Hope it is clear.

regards

Hi,

C: to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging

Simply becasue it does not make any sense.

By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

Until the red part is fine then is a mess

First of all: the market share increas for a certain piece of the same (i.e. the company has a share higher than before on the overall market) and NOT has an increase IN the same but OF the same.

Secondly: in C we have a shift completely wrong see the bold part of the sentence i.e. a book ( market) in the country, a market ranging.......... whre is the sense. The sentence is completely illogic and unglued

Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 17:26
rahultripathi2005 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Hi

Hope it is clear.

regards

Hi,

I can help with that !!! it has to do with the meaning !!! Ranging means that the market is changing which does not make sense . On the other hand, ranges means varies which is correct . Hope that helps :)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 6

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3605 [0], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 09:49
I just want to correct this question a bit.

**This is an Official GMAT question, a correct option C is "to 10 percent from 6 percent their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging". Thus, we can eliminate C easily.

**But in this question, option C is written wrongly: "to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging" --> Thus, C is not a wrong answer because C uses "noun+ noun modifier" - "a market ranging" correctly.

Note: NOUN + NOUN MODIFIER can modify a preceding noun, a middle noun or even a preceding clause. This kind of modifier is very versatile.
See lesson of "noun + noun modifier" here:
noun-noun-modifiers-the-most-versatile-modifier-137292.html

ANALYZE THE QUESTION:

By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase their share of the country's $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

A. their share of the country's $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
Wrong.

B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
Wrong.

C. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
Correct.

D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
Wrong.

E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country's $21 billion book market, which ranges
Correct.

Please see a correct version of the question in the link below, OA is E.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... t8026.html

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3605 [0], given: 123

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 09:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 06:48
egmat can you please clarify the reference of "which" in choice B. I think it clearly refers to the market since the essential modifier "in the country" is needed to specify which market the sentence is referring to. Am I right? The only reason to prefer choice E over B is choice E is more concise. Also, the correct idiom or the preferred idiom to use is "from....to" rather than "to....from"?

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 101

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18125 [0], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 22:07
raj44 wrote:
egmat can you please clarify the reference of "which" in choice B. I think it clearly refers to the market since the essential modifier "in the country" is needed to specify which market the sentence is referring to. Am I right? The only reason to prefer choice E over B is choice E is more concise. Also, the correct idiom or the preferred idiom to use is "from....to" rather than "to....from"?

Responding to a pm:

"which" will refer to the closest 'eligible' noun.
Here, country, the closest noun, is an eligible antecedent of the pronoun "which".

By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.
The country cannot range from textbooks to paperbacks and hence (E) is preferable.
In (E), "which" clearly refers to "market". There is no problem with (E). The construct 'to ... from ...' is equally valid even though 'from ... to...' is the one used often.

Conciseness comes into the picture only after all grammatical issues have been sorted out.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18125 [0], given: 236

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 04:28
meaningful wrote:
D.

A) their share of the country's $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging -- wrong pronoun , wrong modifier
B) from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges -- need preposition btw 10% and its shares
C) to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging -- the same as A
D) in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges -- o.k.
E) to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country's $21 billion book market, which ranges -- increase to...from is awkward , the country's is incorrect possesive form

In fact D is wrong. If you look closely you will see that " .... country, which ranges ... " as per the sentence it is the market that ranges and not the country. Eliminate D. Though E does sound awkward there is no error, and the latter part makes complete sense.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 118

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 18:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 51

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 06:52
company --it {singular]
correct use of which

>> E it is

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 51

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 08:36
wahi00 wrote:

A. their share of the country's $21 billion b ook market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging

'Company' is singular and hence 'their' is wrong form of verb. A and C are out.

'which' must refer to 'market and not to ' country' . B and D are out.

E is the answer.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1146 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 09:43
wahi00 wrote:

A. their share of the country's $21 billion b ook market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging

By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country's $21 billion book market, which ranges from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

I find three correct usages in option (E)

1. The company ------> It
2. Book Market-------> Which
3. Range from X to Y-------> Correct Idiomatic Usage

Hence IMHO (E)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1146 [0], given: 327

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 04:17
Company is singular. The correct pronoun to denote the noun 'company' is it, and not their.

Also, the modifier after the comma, correctly modifies the market only in one of the options. i.e. E. This options also implements the correct pronoun it

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 97

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 22:24
A. their share of the country's $21 billion b ook market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging --> Wrong because Company is singular -- Pronoun-antecedent must agree in number
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges --> here "which" referes illogically to nearest noun "country"
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging --> Same error as described in A
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges --> "Which" modifies "Country" (illogically meaning that country ranges from obscure textbooks to mass- market paperbacks)
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country's $21 billion book market, which ranges --> "Which" correctly modifies "book market" ( book market ranges from x to y)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 97

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 255

Concentration: Economics, International Business
Schools: ISB '19, Fox"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 22:47
Why is B wrong here.
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21
billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to massmarket
paperbacks.
A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market
ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which
ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a
market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which
ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which Ranges

Over here
in B 'which' is correctly referring to '$21 billion book market in the country' its a noun phrase

noun- $21 billion book market /prepositional phrase-in the country

moreover a country cant range from obscure textbooks to massmarket
paperbacks.So which correctly and should refer to $21 billion book market

if we go OG then it is perfectly fine

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s
marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else. (OG 13#29, Choice
E)

Over here too(OG question) which refers to letters and not Susan Huntington Dickinson

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 255

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 23:53
Hi nailin16, which actually modifies the nearest grammatically eligible word before it.

In B, that word happens to be country, while that word is letters in the Susan Huntington Dickinson example.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the usage of which, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 08:50
nailin16 wrote:
Why is B wrong here.
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21
billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to massmarket
paperbacks.
A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market
ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which
ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a
market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which
ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which Ranges

Over here
in B 'which' is correctly referring to '$21 billion book market in the country' its a noun phrase

noun- $21 billion book market /prepositional phrase-in the country

moreover a country cant range from obscure textbooks to massmarket
paperbacks.So which correctly and should refer to $21 billion book market

if we go OG then it is perfectly fine

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s
marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else. (OG 13#29, Choice
E)

Over here too(OG question) which refers to letters and not Susan Huntington Dickinson

Your query has already been answered by EducationAisle expert - closing this request. Moreover please do not start a new thread for queries about questions that already exist on the forum - post your query on the existing thread.

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 03:40
in option A and C, “their” (plural) does not agree with “company” (singular). Eliminate A and C.

in D, “the company will increase IN its share” implies that the COMPANY will increase. The intended meaning is that the SHARE will increase. Eliminate D.
in B, since the verb attributed to “which” is singular, the implied antecedent is the nearest preceding singular noun “(country)”. Since E places “which” next to its intended antecedent “(market)” , E is the clear winner. Eliminate B.
The correct answer is E.
On the GMAT, when which does not refer to the nearest preceding noun, the verb generally will make the situation clear:
Many tourists gasp when they see the BUILDINGS of New York, which ARE among the world's tallest.
The plural verb are makes it clear that which refers to the plural antecedent buildings.
idioms:
The price fell FROM 10 euros TO 3 euros.
The price fell TO 3 euros FROM 10 euros.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 855

Re: By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase thei   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2017, 03:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 43 posts ] 

By merging its two publishing division, the company will increase thei

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap