Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [161]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [36]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [29]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [10]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new town hall so [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
"Their" is not ambiguous; it clearly refers to the three landmarks. There are two major problems with B and D:

1) The language is just not idiomatic. "Could rival it" is a specific form that is often used, and "could be its rivals" in D doesn't work the same way. The buildings can't really be rivals, but one can rival the other in scale. Meanwhile, B uses a backward and unnecessarily complex structure. It's cute when kids say "You're not the boss of me," but it's not correct English usage. We can just say "You're not my boss." (Or, to use "it," we'd say "Here is my phone and here is its charger," not "Here is my phone and here is the charger of it.")

2) The use of "their" ruins the comparison. We want the 3 places to rival the town hall in scale and magnificence. We don't want them to rival the town hall in their scale and magnificence. That would be like saying "My house is better than yours in its size or comfort."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 308
Send PM
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new town hall so [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone please explain the usage "could rival it for scale or magnificence" - Shouldn't it be "could rival it in scale or magnificence" ?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new town hall so [#permalink]
Bookmarks
sa18 wrote:
Still i have confusion between A and D.

Can someone explain?
Thanks in advance !!

Refer MGMAT SC , chapter on Pronouns ,it states -

Be careful with their, which is often used in everyday speech to refer to singular subjects.

The most common pronoun mistakes involve Third Person Personal Pronouns— the singular it and its, together with the plural they, them, and their. Whenever you see one of these five pronouns,find the antecedent and check its viability

every they, them, and their must refer to the same plural antecedent.

Here their has not clear Antecedent , hence (D) can be rejected.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Send PM
Bookmarks
Abhishek009 wrote:
sa18 wrote:

Can someone explain?
Thanks in advance !!

Refer MGMAT SC , chapter on Pronouns ,it states -

Be careful with their, which is often used in everyday speech to refer to singular subjects.

The most common pronoun mistakes involve Third Person Personal Pronouns— the singular it and its, together with the plural they, them, and their. Whenever you see one of these five pronouns,find the antecedent and check its viability

every they, them, and their must refer to the same plural antecedent.

Here their has not clear Antecedent , hence (D) can be rejected.

But i dont see any ambiguity either.
'Their' modifies the three places if i am not wrong?
Please explain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2093 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
RaviChandra wrote:
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new town hall so large that only St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice could rival it for scale or magnificence.
(A) could rival it for
(B) were the rivals of it in their
(C) were its rival as to
(D) could be its rivals in their
(E) were rivaling its

Please Explain Y Could is required !

rival is a verb here. So A is absolutely fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Send PM

Can someone explain?
Thanks in advance !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
"Their" is not ambiguous; it clearly refers to the three landmarks. There are two major problems with B and D:

1) The language is just not idiomatic. "Could rival it" is a specific form that is often used, and "could be its rivals" in D doesn't work the same way. The buildings can't really be rivals, but one can rival the other in scale. Meanwhile, B uses a backward and unnecessarily complex structure. It's cute when kids say "You're not the boss of me," but it's not correct English usage. We can just say "You're not my boss." (Or, to use "it," we'd say "Here is my phone and here is its charger," not "Here is my phone and here is the charger of it.")

2) The use of "their" ruins the comparison. We want the 3 places to rival the town hall in scale and magnificence. We don't want them to rival the town hall in their scale and magnificence. That would be like saying "My house is better than yours in its size or comfort."

but in Manhattan SC Guide8 Page111, "A pronoun is a word tha takes the place of a noun". So the word THEIR takes which plural noun's place??? Why THEIR can refer to the three landmarks?DmitryFarber
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
The right option is A. But how can building be rival? As in how can a building actually perform the verb?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Really confused between A and D.
I get that in D, their can cause some issues but their can refer to three places. I rejected A coz of "rival for scale..........", it doesn't seem right.
Pls share your insight.
Thanks
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5135 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:
I get that in D, their can cause some issues but their can refer to three places. I rejected A coz of "rival for scale..........", it doesn't seem right.
Pls share your insight.
Thanks

The (D) version is definitely problematic.

For one thing, "could be its rivals" suggests that other buildings would seek to be rivals of the town hall. Buildings would either rival each other or not. They would not seek to "be rivals." So, that meaning doesn't make sense.

Also, "be rivals in their scale or magnificence" doesn't make sense since things would not "be rivals in" their characteristics.

That said, "rival it for scale or magnificence" in the (A) version doesn't really make sense either. It would be correct to say, "rival it IN scale or magnificence" meaning "rival it" IN THE AREAS OF "scale or magnificence."

So, (A) is the best of a not great set of choices, and thus this question is not a great one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
karthik1488 wrote:
Can someone please explain the usage "could rival it for scale or magnificence" - Shouldn't it be "could rival it in scale or magnificence" ?

I think, both "rival for scale" and "rival in scale" are grammatically correct, but they have slightly different meanings.

"Rival for scale" means that the buildings are competing with each other in terms of scale. In this context, "scale" refers to the size or extent of the buildings. So, if we say that the new town hall in Amsterdam could rival St. Peter’s, the Escorial, and the Palazza Ducale for scale, we mean that the four buildings are in competition with each other in terms of their size or extent.

"Rival in scale" could also be grammatically correct, but it would mean something slightly different. In this context, "in scale" would mean that the buildings are similar in size or extent. So, if we say that the new town hall in Amsterdam rivals St. Peter’s, the Escorial, and the Palazza Ducale in scale, we mean that the buildings are similar in size or extent.

In the original sentence, "rival for scale" is the better choice because it conveys the idea that the new town hall in Amsterdam is competing with St. Peter’s, the Escorial, and the Palazza Ducale in terms of their size or extent.

Vaishali2004 wrote:
The right option is A. But how can building be rival? As in how can a building actually perform the verb?

In the context of the sentence, "rival" is being used as a verb, meaning to compete with or be equal in quality or importance. So in this case, the building itself is not performing the verb, but rather the building is being compared to other buildings in terms of its scale and magnificence.

jim441 wrote:
Pls share your insight.
Thanks

"Rival for scale" is grammatically correct and commonly used. "For" in this context means "with regard to" or "in terms of." So the phrase "could rival it for scale or magnificence" means that the three buildings mentioned are the only ones that could match the scale or grandeur of Amsterdam's town hall with regard to their size and magnificence.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
By the mid-seventeenth century, Amsterdam had built a new town hall so large that only St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice could rival it for scale or magnificence.

Option Elimination -

(A) could rival it for - The comparison is clear. X rivals Y. X which is "St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice" and Y is "a new town hall" and "rival" in terms of what? In terms of scale or magnificence. Also, see another cause-effect idiom in action here. "so "cause" that "effect." so "large" that"X could rival Y." So we have X and Y compared in terms of their rivalry because of scale or magnificence.

(B) were the rivals of it in their - So "St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice" were the rivals of "a new town hall" in their "St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice" scale? It's quite a messy way to communicate what A did pretty neatly.

(C) were its rival as to - we already have "so "cause" that "effect." This is mixing two cause-effect, which are "so "cause" that "effect" and "so "cause" as to "effect."

(D) could be its rivals in their - So "St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice" could be "a new town hall's" rivals in their " St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice" scale? Quite messy. Rather than using the possessive "its," we could have just compared noun "St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice" with another noun, "a new town hall."

(E) were rivaling its - using the past continuous. Rather than using the possessive "its," we could have just compared noun "St. Peter’s in Rome, the Escorial in Spain, and the Palazza Ducale in Venice" with another noun, "a new town hall."
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts