Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [44]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [22]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [16]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [5]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey All,

Tons of great conversation on this, and Sarai's point is well made. But let's just take one total look at it from top to bottom.

Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.

We should notice right away that the split "makes/make" creates a subject-verb agreement split. From there, it's about modifiers.

(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
PROBLEM: To check subject verb, we have to notice the parallelism marker "and". "that makes" wants to match with "that would have made". The subject of both is the same, "powers of observation", which is plural. We need a plural verb, so no "s".

(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
PROBLEM: Same as above.The modifier here is probably fine.

(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
PROBLEM: Same as above. The modifier here would probably we fine.

(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
ANSWER: Correct subject-verb agreement. Now the modifier. What we have here is "letters" modified by the prepositional phrase "as a group", which is being compared to "the best novels of the time". Are "letters" comparable with "the best novels"? Yes.

(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of
PROBLEM: Correct subject-verb agreement. Sarai's point is great, which is that you cannot use "which" without a comma. However, it's still iffy, because we end up comparing "a group" to "the best novels", which is no good.

Hope that helps!

-t
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Byron possessed powers of observation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
d for the right SV agreement powers that make his letters as a group the rival of
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I agree with daagh (I think that's a recurring theme on here...), and want to point out that this is a classic example of GMAT Decision Points - scanning the answers you should notice right away that they're testing subject-verb agreement and making you choose between "makes" and "make".

When it's a Subject-Verb problem, the GMAT loves to use multiple nouns to make it a tricky decision for you, so spend some time using the context clues to select the appropriate subject for the verb. Here, the word "that" is a big trigger - because the second "that" comes parallel with the first:

...that would have made him a great anthropologist and that...

The subject of the first "that" must be the subject of the second. What would have made him a great anthropologist? His powers...not "Byron" himself. We know that logically and by using grammatical tools. With S/V agreement, it's often important to eliminate prepositional modifiers like "of observation", which leaves us with:

Byron possessed powers that...

Because "powers" is clearly the subject, we need the word "make" in D and E (of which D is the correct answer as daagh mentioned).

To make yourself a better SC expert, look for the common decision points that arise between answer choices, and know the methods for making those decisions. Verbs in general make great decision points, and when you know that you're looking for Subject-Verb agreement you can eliminate modifiers and use other context clues to ensure that you select the proper subject.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great [#permalink]
makes in correct in A, B and C - as makes refer to singular noun, but here noun for that is powers of observations

choice between D and E
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
jagdeepsingh1983 wrote:
makes in correct in A, B and C - as makes refer to singular noun, but here noun for that is powers of observations

choice between D and E

Not clear why D is correct. Can someone please explain in detail
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Technology, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-13-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
hi,

The Answer should be between D and E. I suppose it should be E as the answer choice D doesnt make sense "make his letters as a group the rival of" whereas E clearly states "make his letters a group which is the rival of" this correctly uses which (refers a thing letter) and rivals the novel.

Regards,
Ankit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Kudos
D

A, B, and C are incorrect because "makes" is supposed to modify "powers". The correct modifier is "make", since "powers" is plural. This leaves D and E. E is incorrect because it is wordy and awkward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
NarentheIndian wrote:
Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great anthropologist and that makes his letters as a group the rival of the best novels of the time.

(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of
(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival
(C) makes his letters a group rivaling
(D) make his letters as a group the rival of
(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of

Make/Makes
Make is correct as we are describing powers
Between D and E....
as a group is better than letters a group
So D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Byron possessed powers of observation that would have made him a great [#permalink]
I was damn confused between D and E, but chose E as a wrong choice for just one reason , it sounded little weird to me !! That’s it, and went with D

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
"The rival" makes no sense. As if these letters as a group is the only rival? "A rival" should have been much better.

THE rival? Really?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
I HOPE I AM CORRECT , PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS ERROR SO I CAN IMPROVE.

POWERS (P) COLLEVCTIVE NOUN--->MAKE(P)

(A) makes his letters as a group the rival of -POWERS (P) COLLEVCTIVE NOUN--->MAKE(P)

(B) makes his letters as a group one to rival - POWERS (P) COLLEVCTIVE NOUN--->MAKE(P)

(C) makes his letters a group rivaling - POWERS (P) COLLEVCTIVE NOUN--->MAKE(P)

(D) make his letters as a group the rival of - POWER MAKE (VERB) --AS ( TO COMAPRE VERB)
LETTERS CAN BE RIVAL OF NOVELS

(E) make his letters a group which is the rival of---WHICH IS USED FOR NON ESSESTIAL INFO AND NEEDS A COMMA BEFIRE IT

A GROUP CANNOT BE RIVAL OF NOVELS
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts