It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 139

Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 22:08
Can anyone tell me which is the main verb for the noun 'Calculus' in the answer choice B ?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 139

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 311

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 08:45
you are correct. i was looking for a verb for calculus, which is not clear in this question. such questions make us frustrated before exam.
i agree with your opinion.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 311

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 19:58
feruz77 wrote:
Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involving the study of change, is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

(A) to attend college involving the study of change, is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on
(B) to attend college involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on
(C) to go to college involving the study of change, and is used in science and engineering fields, because it was focusing on
(D) to attend college that involves studying change, and is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on
(E) to attend college involving the study of change, which is now used in the science and engineering fields, focuses on

If You like this question, You can give KUDOS. Thanks

but B is still not logic

the subject involve and is used because it focus
is used because focus, logic
involve because focus, NO LOGIC

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 916

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 04:39
carcass wrote:
feruz77 wrote:
Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involving the study of change, is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

(A) to attend college involving the study of change, is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on
(B) to attend college involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on
(C) to go to college involving the study of change, and is used in science and engineering fields, because it was focusing on
(D) to attend college that involves studying change, and is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on
(E) to attend college involving the study of change, which is now used in the science and engineering fields, focuses on

If You like this question, You can give KUDOS. Thanks

Nice :) i picked the right answer in 2.35; too much time but for this question level not is simple.

look on the bright side: i don't have doubts on the answer ;)

first split involves VS involving: involves is right

B/D: that involves is incorrect.

;)

hi,
i will be pleased if you share your thought on my doubt .
my doubt is why there is comma before and in option B as , and means there is an independent clause so what is the subject of that ,and after also why we do not have comma before involves ?

please explain
thank you

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 108

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 05:04
nks2611 wrote:
hi,
my doubt is why there is comma before and in option B as , and means there is an independent clause so what is the subject of that ,and after also why we do not have comma before involves ?

please explain
thank you

Hi Option B is not correct. because it misses the comma. To be very sure, you should see Chris' explanation:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calculus-a-subject-offered-to-high-school-students-planning-107277-20.html#p1105555

P.S: Try using sort by Kudos and sort by Dates, according to your need :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 05:57
HKD1710 wrote:
nks2611 wrote:
hi,

please explain
thank you

Hi Option B is not correct. because it misses the comma. To be very sure, you should see Chris' explanation:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calculus-a-subject-offered-to-high-school-students-planning-107277-20.html#p1105555

P.S: Try using sort by Kudos and sort by Dates, according to your need :)

hi,
thanks for the link, but still i do not understand this thing - Other options are missing subject at 2nd half- say choice B- "and is used in the fields of science and engineering" whats the subject before "is" ? its not Calculus here..when we join two independent clause we can use "," conjecture words between two independent clause.-which is missing in B C D.

please help

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 05:58
hi,

please explain
thank you

Director
Director
P

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 12:11
nks2611 wrote:
hi,
thanks for the link, but still i do not understand this thing - Other options are missing subject at 2nd half- say choice B- "and is used in the fields of science and engineering" whats the subject before "is" ? its not Calculus here..when we join two independent clause we can use "," conjecture words between two independent clause.-which is missing in B C D.

please help

Hi nks2611,

Full sentence with choice B with COMMA (college, involves)

Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college, involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

Modifier: “a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college” – this modifier modifies Calculus. This modifier only provides more information about calculus and is non-essential. So you can remove this modifier and then sentence becomes:

Calculus involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

Structure is somewhat likes this:

Calculus involves X, and is used in Y, because it (calculus) focuses P, Q & R.

Two independent clauses are connected with co-coordinating conjunction (because). Correct usage.

Full sentence with choice B without COMMA (college involves)

Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

Subject (Calculus), Subject (a subject) + verb (involves and is used), coordinating conjunction (because) + subject (it) + verb (focuses)

Here you see the subject CALCULUS is left alone with no verb for it. So it is not a correct sentence.

This is why choice B without comma before involves is wrong. All other choices are wrong as you understood already.

Hope this helps. I Will be glad to help you further on this if required :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 2904 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 13:51
nks2611 wrote:
hi,

please explain
thank you

I agree with you. Ideally there should not be a comma before "and" because here "and" joins two verbs: "involves" and "is used", not two independent clauses.

Moreover as you correctly noticed, there should be a comma before "involves", because "a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college" is a non-essential modifier (for "calculus") that should have been separated by two commas.

Kudos [?]: 2904 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 21:20
sayantanc2k wrote:
nks2611 wrote:
hi,

please explain
thank you

I agree with you. Ideally there should not be a comma before "and" because here "and" joins two verbs: "involves" and "is used", not two independent clauses.

Moreover as you correctly noticed, there should be a comma before "involves", because "a subject offered to high school students planning to attend college" is a non-essential modifier (for "calculus") that should have been separated by two commas.

thanks sayant for the reply , so eventually there should not be a comma before (and) , although i were very confused about this rule but now it seems that i am not right way . thanks again all

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7264 [1] , given: 347

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 04:58
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
The thumb rule about the use of the comma in compound sentences is:

When you have two full-fledged ICs and if you want to join them by a fanboy, then do use a comma before the fanboy. However, a comma is not necessary before the conjunction if the independent clause or second sentence does not have a subject

Examples with a comma - The visiting team tried all the tricks on the book, but it still lost the series.

Without a comma: The visiting team tried all the tricks on the book but still lost the series.

Both are okay.

However, look at the textual choice B.

you have a comma before the fanboy but the second part has no subject. This is problematic.

Thus, one may see that the use of comma has a subtle role to play in the overall sentence structure.

B. to attend college involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7264 [1] , given: 347

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 05:44
daagh wrote:
The thumb rule about the use of the comma in compound sentences is:

When you have two full-fledged ICs and if you want to join them by a fanboy, then do use a comma before the fanboy. However, a comma is not necessary before the conjunction if the independent clause or second sentence does not have a subject

Examples with a comma - The visiting team tried all the tricks on the book, but it still lost the series.

Without a comma: The visiting team tried all the tricks on the book but still lost the series.

Both are okay.

However, look at the textual choice B.

you have a comma before the fanboy but the second part has no subject. This is problematic.

Thus, one may see that the use of comma has a subtle role to play in the overall sentence structure.

B. to attend college involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on

thank you very much Daagh , for the Emphatic explanation .
so finally there should be a comma if two ICs are added with FANBOYS if there is not any subject after FANBOYS then there should not be comma before usually .
am i right ? sir

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 7264 [0], given: 347

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 05:55
Top Contributor
Nks
Hi
That is my conviction, but I am ready to learn more

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 06:15
daagh wrote:
Nks
Hi
That is my conviction, but I am ready to learn more

thanks Daagh, i appreciate that.
nevertheless i have come across another example after showing your post in this regard , https://gmatclub.com/forum/china-s-vast ... 37643.html , in this question i quickly eliminated option C , and chose A , although as NINJA explained it well but i want to know about your conviction , why C is right here not A and what should be the best .

looking forward .
thanks

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 18:22
Top Contributor
I would not rather subscribe to the OE. First, I do not think that A is that bad. It still makes a lot of sense to take China's as the referent for the pronoun 'its', both logically and structurally.

I would think that C contains an incomplete thought in that it is not making clear categorically whose interest is waning. It could be China's or it could be any other country's. The intended meaning is simply dangling as far as I see. C may be structurally ok but logically aberrant.

Probably, if choice A says, 'China's' in the place of 'its' or if they included the possessive, 'China's' before the second part in C, then the choices might have been airtight. If you get to the brass tacks, what is the great difference between the two anyway?

The take away is that in GMAT, the best topics should test and teach logic and structure together.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 08:48

"involving" or "that involves" modifies college so incorrect.
Only B uses "involves", which correctly refers to calculus.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 08:15

(A) to attend college involving the study of change, is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on - college does not involve study of change, but calculus does
(B) to attend college involves the study of change, and is used in the fields of science and engineering, because it focuses on - correct
(C) to go to college involving the study of change, and is used in science and engineering fields, because it was focusing on - same as A
(D) to attend college that involves studying change, and is used in the science and engineering fields, because it focuses on - same as A
(E) to attend college involving the study of change, which is now used in the science and engineering fields, focuses on - same as A

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calculus, a subject offered to high school students planning   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2017, 08:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 57 posts ]