GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Callers to a customer help line frequently complained about the qualit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Callers to a customer help line frequently complained about the qualit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 10:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:20) correct 57% (01:25) wrong based on 192 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Callers to a customer help line frequently complained about the quality of service. Seventy percent of survey respondents cited the services agents' lack of knowledge of how to solve the problems they were calling about. To address the problem, management decided that each service agent should go through regular training. Each agent spent half a day each week in sessions covering how to respond to callers' problems. Nevertheless, after three months of training, the rate of caller complaints has not decreased.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain why the training failed to achieve its goal?
A) The training program created significant additional cost in running the help line.
B) Taking service agents out of the group answering calls at any given time causes the average wait time of callers to rise.
C) The ongoing training does not cover all possible caller problems.
D) The proportion of repeat callers to the help line is low, so callers have no way of observing that service agent knowledge has improved.
E) The company providing the help line has lost customers due to their dissatisfaction with the quality of service, both before and after the regular training began.

Source-Gmatfree

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '19, IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE: Design (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Callers to a customer help line frequently complained about the qualit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 20:26
An interesting question. One might assume that the management would have planned training sessions in such a way that the Call wait times wouldn’t increase. Also, one might again assume that training’s can not possibly cover almost all the problems the callers might have. There seems to be a tie between B and C. So upon further thinking it feels like overtime training quality can be improved with more data however the agent not present at work is going to continue irrespective of how efficient training’s material is. So I will gravitate towards B

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
Re: Callers to a customer help line frequently complained about the qualit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 16:06
Why is "B" even relevant here? The question suggests that the complaints stemmed from lack of knowledge to solve problems. It is not about longer waiting time.

D makes more sense. Few callers who previously complained about the service actually called back to observe the progress made by service agents. As a result, when they were present with the same survey, those callers would still complain.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 09:39
Why is option D incorrect? And isn't B irrelevant? I am not understanding the logic behind option B. Can someone please explain the logic to me behind Option B's?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '19, IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE: Design (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 20:08
kingyoungin211 wrote:
Why is option D incorrect? And isn't B irrelevant? I am not understanding the logic behind option B. Can someone please explain the logic to me behind Option B's?

In this question it’s natural for confusion between B and D. I would try to explain it this way, for option D, with time more and more data about caller questions can be collected and hence training quality can be improved. Where as for B , the training requirement in terms of time wouldn’t change despite training quality improvements , the executive should spend designated amount of time in that. Hence B is right answer. In my opinion.

VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 23:53
souvonik2k wrote:
Callers to a customer help line frequently complained about the quality of service. Seventy percent of survey respondents cited the services agents' lack of knowledge of how to solve the problems they were calling about. To address the problem, management decided that each service agent should go through regular training. Each agent spent half a day each week in sessions covering how to respond to callers' problems. Nevertheless, after three months of training, the rate of caller complaints has not decreased.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain why the training failed to achieve its goal?

I see less merit in the OA. Passage talks about "knowledge" of service agents and the OA talks about timing. (D) better suits to be an OA. Expert reviews are welcome.

A) The training program created significant additional cost in running the help line.

B) Taking service agents out of the group answering calls at any given time causes the average wait time of callers to rise.

C) The ongoing training does not cover all possible caller problems.

D) The proportion of repeat callers to the help line is low, so callers have no way of observing that service agent knowledge has improved.

E) The company providing the help line has lost customers due to their dissatisfaction with the quality of service, both before and after the regular training began.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 21:11
B and C are potential choices for explaining reason of more complaint.

Choice B is kind of better than C as it gives more reason for complaint.B kind of
States reason appropriately.

C is not as strong as B

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 14:15
kingyoungin211 wrote:

D is irrelevant because it talks about the efficiency/improvement of service of a service agent where as the paradox in the stimulus talks about rate of caller complaints not decreasing.
Re: Callers to a customer help line frequently complained about the qualit   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2018, 14:15

Callers to a customer help line frequently complained about the qualit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap