Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [7]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [8]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [7]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [4]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
News Flash

Columbia has updated its class profile for the class that entered in 2011. it has been updated on the main page of this forum. Link: https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... assprofile

Noticeable changes:
Acceptance rate up by 1 to 16% from 15%
Applications up by a small bit to 6,692 over 6,666
Class size up a bit to 751 from 739
International students down to 38% from 40%
No one admitted without work experience as opposed to 7-8 last year (this year % of students with atleast 1 year work ex is 100 opposed to 99 last year)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [4]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
I was at Spotlight On: Diversity today and I have to say that any reservations I had about Columbia's culture and student body were put to rest. The admissions staff, current students, and alum were accessible, down to earth, and so personable. They offered really good application advice that I can use to coach my recommenders. I was taking notes the whole time and now have a plethora of information with which to explain "Why Columbia?' in my essays. The absolute best moment was when Mary Miller took off her shoes, stood on a coffee table in her stockinged feet, and announced that one of the perspective students in attendance had just been admitted in the ED round. So all you ED people it looks like announcements should be forthcoming.

One thing I took away from the event is that the student body really wants to see others succeed. They offered their assistance with everything from essay proofing to connecting me with current students with similar career interests. The help they offer one another through the Peer Adviser and tutoring programs (CBS, BBSA, etc.) is also very encouraging. All of my worries about a cutthroat environment were assuaged after today. I can't wait to apply!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:CBS '13
Send PM
Kudos
I received the call last night around 8pm EST. I have been admitted into the J-term 2012 program. Life is good!!! I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity.

My advice is to be prepared for your interview. I think that is what solidified my spot in the class.

Good luck to the rest of you out there!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys,

I finished my interview last night and my Ambassador actually supplied me with the statistic: around 27% of applicants get invited to interview. The data point was part of the information package that she got when I confirmed the interview. The only problem is that we do not know if this varies across J-Term, ED and RD.

Best of luck to those of you waiting on a decision and on interview invitations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi people. Had my interview with an alum. I applied regular decision. The alum was very nice and after giving me a one minute personal overview, proceeded to ask me the following questions:

- Walk me through your resume.
- Describe a time when you faced adversity / an adverse situation.
- What are your long term goals?
- What is your post-MBA goal?
- What are some of the steps you might take to achieve your long-term goal?
- What is/are your backup plan(s) in case your long-term or short-term goal(s) do not pan out?
- Why do you want an MBA and why now?
- Why is Columbia the school for you?
- How will you contribute to Columbia?
- What are some of the classes / programs at Columbia in which you are interested?
- Describe a time you worked in a team.
- Have you visited Columbia or attended an information session?
- Do you have any questions for me?

Overall, I came out of that with a decent feeling, but time will tell. The interview was approximately 45 minutes. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by smapplicant on 25 Dec 2011, 17:18.
Last edited by smapplicant on 31 Jan 2012, 06:54, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [3]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys,

I am from India and had attended the information session at The Claridges Hotel in New Delhi yesterday. Thought I'd put across my thoughts on the experience I had

It was a fantastic session. I attended Wharton's in Delhi last month which was disastrous and between Wharton and Columbia, as I wish to apply to one 'Finance' school, Columbia would definitely be my preferred choice. Just to clarify that this decision is not based on the 'quality' of the session's logistics (eg: venue, accessibility etc.) but the 'quality' of the experience overall. Wharton had lousy alumni and hosted their session in a very downtrodden venue and it was COMPLETELY opposite for Columbia. There were 2 alumni from Columbia who were present for the session and one of them was completely outstanding - I mean you could hear him and feel the kind of difference a world class MBA makes to you. Further, answers from the admissions representative Jenniffer LaRusso, and the alumni were excellent! No meandering responses and very candid. My biggest apprehension about Columbia was how it is more of a commuter school, but the alumni (the guy I mentioned above who was very impressive) answered them really well and addressed concerns. The other alumn came from a family business background and took the J Term, so helpful to have an alumni from both type of full time offerings at Columbia.

Jenniffer explained very well about the rolling admissions process, the fact that if the adcom feels you need to be evaluated against a larger pool, how they shift your application from ED to regular, also about the waitlist and all other aspects of admissions. The crowd that came for the session was much better well informed and very smartly turned out. Saw many folks coming in dressed in business attire (I went in business formals straight from office) unlike Wharton where most looked like they had bunked an engineering class at an Indian engineering college. Dressing isn't really a concern area as such, but it does look nice if you come prepared in semi formals atleast, especially when the session is being held at a prominent 5 star hotel in the heart of Delhi for one of the world's best business schools.

All in all 1. Highly Informative 2. Well Conducted 3. Excellent alumni interaction 4. Gave me much much more confidence about Columbia as a target school
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Just had my interview...lasted 2 hours! My interviewer asked me a LOT of questions - I guess thats because he just graduated and doesnt have a lot of experience on this so he went by the book. My questions were:

Resume
why do you want to get an MBA
why now
why columbia
what if you dont get in
how will an mba help you achieve your professional goals
are you sure you cant achieve your goals without an mba
leadership example
how do you work in groups? give me an example
ethical dilemma
questions for me?

When I answered each of the questions above he kept on digging deeper and deeper and asking more and more...it definitely got tricky at times so i dont know what to think overall - i feel like i answered a bunch of the questions well and did not do so great on others. We will have to wait and see but i am definitely anxious...was kinda confident before the interview but dont know what to think now hehehe...good luck everyone!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [3]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview today. I nailed all of the answers, but I was a bit nervous and I think it showed.

Anyways, interviewer told me the statistics last year were 27% of applicants received an invitation and 15% of all were accepted. She mentioned that CBS asks interviewers to complete the feedback form within 2 days from the interview.

No hint as to whether she was going to recommend me or not, I really think it could go either way. Interview lasted 1 hour and the questions she asked were:

- Walk me through your resume
- Why Columbia?
- What are your goals?
- Why an MBA now?
- Backup plan
- Leadership example
- Teamwork example
- What's my leadership style and provide an example?
- How will I contribute to Columbia?
- Time I faced adversity example
- Provide adjectives that your supervisor would use to describe you
- Weakness question
- Ethical dilemma example
- What other schools are you applying to?
- Is there anything you want me to emphasize on my write up? (I said my maturity as I am a few years younger than CBS' WE mean)
- Questions for her

Lots and lots of small talk in between and many follow up questions with all of my examples.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [3]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Here is my own analysis of the 3 optional essays. I preface this by saying I have no inside info on how the adcoms look at these essays, this is just my personal opinion.

Option A: If you're entrepreneurial and have a clearly amazing idea go for it. That said, its only 250 words, so I think even if you don't have some amazing idea its still OK to try this essay out. What you'd want to do is show what your priorities in life are. Whatever your business does should reflect your values. In this way, you can sort of communicate to the adcoms your personality and values system based on what your business will do.

Option B: This is a great way of showing a particular passion you have, or even of touting your existing EC credentials and how you're going to translate that energy into leadership and community building at CBS. I'm almost positive that the adcoms have focused on people who make involvement and community a priority for them, and it has definitely transformed the culture at CBS for the positive. If you can communicate energy, positiveness, and passion about an issue or community and show how that will translate into you being active at CBS, go for this option.

Option C: This is another way of communicating your maturity and depth over your career goals. If you can ask an insightful, cutting question to these EIRs that shows you not only have knowledge about your career but wisdom behind both the challenges and opportunities in it and how they will affect your career search, you will probably hit home. I would also try and ask some questions that speak to your personal situation -- use this as a tool to further let the adcoms into your world to figure out who you are, what drives you, and why your background and experience set will translate to success in your career. If you can do this Jeopardy style (in the form of a question), then I think you'll be successful with this.

The key theme is that not only should you answer each question directly, but remember what the goals of these essays are. They're not angel investors or VCs and they probably can't assess a great business idea communicated in 250 words. They're looking for what that business says about you and your aspirations. The adcoms are probably only a little curious what leadership positions you'll take, what they really want to know is what values and personal experiences have you had that make you want to lead and lead in the specific way you'll discuss. The adcoms don't want to know if you'll ask the Execs-In-Residence if you should do "banking or consulting?" They want to know what issues are facing your personal career journey, and what that says about who you are and what your core goals and values are.

So make sure with each one of these that in addition to answering the question, you let the adcoms know more about you, who you are, what makes you tick, what your goals are, and everything else that down deep is the core driver of how you are answering the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Guys- I am in. Received a call from the adcom yesterday. Now time for party!!

I applied ED. GMAT- 750, work ex-3 years, Sector- Energy

Timeline- submitted 8/3, interview call 8/8, interview- 8/17, application complete- 8/25, Admit- 9/13

Best of luck to all of you guys who are waiting for their decision. I know it is darn tough but keep the faith!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
losttraveler wrote:
INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!

and...

I'm INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN toooo!!!! :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everybody!

I'm a current Columbia MBA student and I made this video to help potential applicants. Please check it out and you can use the Youtube comments section to ask questions to real students.

youtube . com/watch?v=zQzdr1MFVFw
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Had my interview last night and I think it went well. I would have posted earlier, but went straight from their to the airport to get on a flight to vegas :-D .

So the interesting thing is that I was only asked 4 questions during the interview. The interesting thing I found out is that there are actually only 2 mandatory questions that he had to ask. He started with the typical walk me to your resume and then why an MBA and why now. Then I asked him a bunch of questions about himself. At the end he asked the 2 mandatory questions, which he was not a fan of. One was talking about a situation where you are in an ethical/moral dilemma. The other was what was your biggest adversity. Hope that little nugget of information helps people who are yet to interview.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting to get an interview invite or for their final decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Here's what it looks like for the set of complete datapoitns (31 or something, didn't count). ED Admits still. Very ltd data on JTerm. I would not worry if submitting on 10/5 and yet to hear!
Attachments

Admit Timeline.pdf [81.06 KiB]
Downloaded 164 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Oh hey guys. I just talked to the most wonderful woman in the world. No, not my mom. Kait/Kate/Cait from admissions. She just rang me up. Class of 2014, here I come!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
GOT THE CALL!!!!!#!#!$!@$!@#!#!@#

Submit: 9/5
Review: 9/6
Interview Invite: 9/23
Interview: 10/9
Interview Complete: 10/17
Admit - ED: 10/25

I got a call from an Unknown number though. YAY!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  171   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts