GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Apr 2019, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.05
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 11:00
SDB90048 wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:
So is it rude to decline the membership? If I'm not getting the fellowship then I don't really want to spend 6 days in St Louis.

Same boat. I do not think that its rude. I guess it would just depend how much you value the networking aspect of those 6 days... in STL.

Well there are other benefits to the Orientation Program in St Louis such as early access to recruiters and MBA prep classes.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Business Development (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 12:59
pm515 wrote:
SDB90048 wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:
So is it rude to decline the membership? If I'm not getting the fellowship then I don't really want to spend 6 days in St Louis.

Same boat. I do not think that its rude. I guess it would just depend how much you value the networking aspect of those 6 days... in STL.

Well there are other benefits to the Orientation Program in St Louis such as early access to recruiters and MBA prep classes.

Yes, i heard that some people have like 10+ recruiters wanting to interview them during OP. Many even left OP with internship offers. It's pretty legit.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 15:10
kenneth143 wrote:
pm515 wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:

Quote:

Yes, i heard that some people have like 10+ recruiters wanting to interview them during OP. Many even left OP with internship offers. It's pretty legit.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but there better not be any obvious differentiation between fellows and members and how they are treated. If I sense the slightest belittlement for only being a member I will channel some Real Housewives drama sh*t and flip over a table in milliseconds lol
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.86
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 16:02
I don't think it's that serious and just understanding the aim of the organization, I highly doubt that they would purposely belittle others. I was just looking at pictures from OP 2015 and all of the folks that are in those class pictures did not receive fellowships. OP is just another opportunity to secure an internship before business school. I give the consortium major props for providing it's fellows and members with early access to recruiters and with a chance to interview for post MBA positions early.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 16:59
Congrats to everyone who has received a fellowship!

I was accepted into Tuck and Yale, but no $$ from either school. I'm obviously excited, but very nervous about paying the full price. I also don't have much savings to pull from as I have been working in the non-profit world. Has anyone heard of applicants getting scholarship money after being admitted? Also, are there any other scholarship opportunities if I am a member of the consortium (but didn't receive the fellowship)?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 20:13
Any Consortium people also doing that MLT Personal Development program? I'm considering applying for that as well, but there's two mandatory seminars (in Colorado and NYC), and between those and OP that's a ton of traveling (and money). Plus I'm trying to save as many vacation hours as possible so I have more money when I leave my job. Is it worth it?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 22:15
z2themo1 wrote:
Any Consortium people also doing that MLT Personal Development program? I'm considering applying for that as well, but there's two mandatory seminars (in Colorado and NYC), and between those and OP that's a ton of traveling (and money). Plus I'm trying to save as many vacation hours as possible so I have more money when I leave my job. Is it worth it?

I thought both were in NYC? At least the seminar in April lands mostly on a weekend.

I hear you about the travel! Slap on admitted student days and pre-MBA company programs (I applied to every one!) and you might as well be a jet setter. Starting last fall I've been opening up a lot of airline credit cards to get the promotional miles they offered (~50,000 miles each). This past month I've had 4 round trip flights for interviews, but I think I've only paid like ~$50 total (dang taxes!) since I only use points. Right now I think I have enough points for 6 more round trips, but yeah all these events are pushing it - especially because they are only a couple days!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.05
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 23:13
s212121 wrote:

I was accepted into Tuck and Yale, but no $$ from either school. I'm obviously excited, but very nervous about paying the full price. I also don't have much savings to pull from as I have been working in the non-profit world. Has anyone heard of applicants getting scholarship money after being admitted? Also, are there any other scholarship opportunities if I am a member of the consortium (but didn't receive the fellowship)?

Did you fill your Fafsa yet?, after you fill it out, call the financial aid office and make your plea. It has worked for many people I know.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 12:42
pm515 wrote:
s212121 wrote:

Did you fill your Fafsa yet?, after you fill it out, call the financial aid office and make your plea. It has worked for many people I know.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely do that.

Any other thoughts on pursuing outside scholarships? Have people seen much success with those?
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 13:55
DoorDelano wrote:
z2themo1 wrote:

I thought both were in NYC? At least the seminar in April lands mostly on a weekend.

I hear you about the travel! Slap on admitted student days and pre-MBA company programs (I applied to every one!) and you might as well be a jet setter. Starting last fall I've been opening up a lot of airline credit cards to get the promotional miles they offered (~50,000 miles each). This past month I've had 4 round trip flights for interviews, but I think I've only paid like ~$50 total (dang taxes!) since I only use points. Right now I think I have enough points for 6 more round trips, but yeah all these events are pushing it - especially because they are only a couple days!

What pre-mba programs did you apply to? I'm just now finding out about all of these programs :shock:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 13:56
DoorDelano wrote:
z2themo1 wrote:

What pre-mba programs did you apply to? I'm just now finding out about all of these programs :shock:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 13:58
jean225 wrote:
Is anyone else still waiting to hear an admissions decision from UNC? I interviewed mid-February and still haven't heard any decision... I ranked them low so definitely wasn't expecting any fellowship calls from them.

The admissions lady I interviewed with called me today. She left a voicemail saying I was accepted, but didn't give me any information about scholarship stuff.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.48
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 14:24
rmilo12648 wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:
z2themo1 wrote:

I know I'm applying to a number of them - but it depends on what you're looking to do post getting your MBA. I want to get into consulting, and I know I'm not going to love the formal recruiting process, so if I'm able to land an internship before school I'm definitely for it! MLT has a one, I know there is one called MBA Jumpstart and then different companies might have their own specific programs (some of which offer scholarships like the McKinsey Emerging Scholars one).

Haha I didn't apply to UNC but came across the below website which mentioned a number of them, but a diligent google search will help you find others potentially!

http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/~/medi ... nities.pdf
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q156 V152

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 15:53
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask, to those individuals that got into their dream school, what steps did you take to get there?( mba prep course, fellowships or special programs, part of special groups?). Any info will help, I got dinged this year so I need to step up my game.

Thanks in advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Business Development (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 20:07
walterwalter89 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask, to those individuals that got into their dream school, what steps did you take to get there?( mba prep course, fellowships or special programs, part of special groups?). Any info will help, I got dinged this year so I need to step up my game.

Thanks in advanced.

Without knowing your current experience/story, I can't really give much advice. However, for me, my GMAT was average (median 80% for most schools), but I thought I made it up with my work/personal experience (manage big projects and manage younger analysts) and story (short + long term and why I'm doing it). If you want to chat more, please PM me and we can set up a phone call, etc.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.48
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 20:33
kenneth143 wrote:
walterwalter89 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advanced.

Without knowing your current experience/story, I can't really give much advice. However, for me, my GMAT was average (median 80% for most schools), but I thought I made it up with my work/personal experience (manage big projects and manage younger analysts) and story (short + long term and why I'm doing it). If you want to chat more, please PM me and we can set up a phone call, etc.

Yeah going along with what kenneth said - it sorta depends on where you are. If you're applying for class of 2019, you have some time so you should really just put your focus on the GMAT. I had to rush a bit because I started studying late - but I think since the whole application is such a long process, it's best to do things step by step. I was fortunate enough to get a solid GMAT score the first time and then a stronger score the second time, but I now that I think about it I put in 150+ hours studying for the 4 months I studied. Then based on your score and what you're thinking you want to do I think that helps determine where you can be competitive. If you have a dream school I would certainly say apply but if your GMAT isn't in the 80% range, you have to know it's a long shot and have some more realistic choices - or you can certainly decide to continue taking the GMAT until you're able to get it to a certain threshold.

Then yeah just as kenneth said your story is going to be very important - that's the why business school and why now questions. Lastly, I would definitely research every school you're applying to b visiting if possible and certainly talking to current students (use LinkedIn and you'll be surprised by how you're connected to people at certain schools). I know for all my essays, though I told the same stories, I didn't simply copy and paste parts from other essays, I really focused on making them super specific and I think that went a long way. In fact the Consortium one, as happy as I was that it was going to all the schools, it was tough to keep it rather general.

Lastly when it comes to studying for the GMATs, I spent money on an online course and was very angry at myself for doing so because it was pretty much a waste of time. I got more done self studying and my teacher didn't do a great job. In fact I started to see it as a waste of 4 hours of study time. I would suggest trying to self study first and seeing if you have the discipline to do so. You can find study guides which will walk you through what you should do each day. When I took my second test I signed up for Magoosh, fully expecting to get my money back based on their 50 point score guarantee, but to my surprise and delight my score went up 60 points. When it comes to getting a consultant for your application, if you have the money I would say go for it as it's just yet another investment on your future and they are definitely helpful. You should at least take as many free consultations as possible because even those will help shape your story.

Also use this forum and look at a lot posts from other people in the past as they are very useful getting through this entire process. Wow I just typed up a storm, but I hope this helps!
Current Student
GPA: 2.9
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 22:08
I saw one person has heard from USC. Is that all? Is there still hope?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 23:09
kenneth143 wrote:
walterwalter89 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advanced.

Thank you very much for you help Kenneth143. I will do.

Just a little bit of my background:
-3 yrs in the Aerospace Industry
-Graduated from UCI
-B.S in Mechanical engineering & B.S Material Science Engineering
-I took the GRE( want to pursue a double degree)
-Got 70 percentile in the GRE
-I manage 3 large projects
-Solid recommendation letters

Thanks for your feedback and time.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 23:14
jbmonu wrote:
kenneth143 wrote:
walterwalter89 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advanced.

Yeah going along with what kenneth said - it sorta depends on where you are. If you're applying for class of 2019, you have some time so you should really just put your focus on the GMAT. I had to rush a bit because I started studying late - but I think since the whole application is such a long process, it's best to do things step by step. I was fortunate enough to get a solid GMAT score the first time and then a stronger score the second time, but I now that I think about it I put in 150+ hours studying for the 4 months I studied. Then based on your score and what you're thinking you want to do I think that helps determine where you can be competitive. If you have a dream school I would certainly say apply but if your GMAT isn't in the 80% range, you have to know it's a long shot and have some more realistic choices - or you can certainly decide to continue taking the GMAT until you're able to get it to a certain threshold.

Then yeah just as kenneth said your story is going to be very important - that's the why business school and why now questions. Lastly, I would definitely research every school you're applying to b visiting if possible and certainly talking to current students (use LinkedIn and you'll be surprised by how you're connected to people at certain schools). I know for all my essays, though I told the same stories, I didn't simply copy and paste parts from other essays, I really focused on making them super specific and I think that went a long way. In fact the Consortium one, as happy as I was that it was going to all the schools, it was tough to keep it rather general.

Lastly when it comes to studying for the GMATs, I spent money on an online course and was very angry at myself for doing so because it was pretty much a waste of time. I got more done self studying and my teacher didn't do a great job. In fact I started to see it as a waste of 4 hours of study time. I would suggest trying to self study first and seeing if you have the discipline to do so. You can find study guides which will walk you through what you should do each day. When I took my second test I signed up for Magoosh, fully expecting to get my money back based on their 50 point score guarantee, but to my surprise and delight my score went up 60 points. When it comes to getting a consultant for your application, if you have the money I would say go for it as it's just yet another investment on your future and they are definitely helpful. You should at least take as many free consultations as possible because even those will help shape your story.

Also use this forum and look at a lot posts from other people in the past as they are very useful getting through this entire process. Wow I just typed up a storm, but I hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice and congratulations!

I will certainly focus on taking the time to study for the GMAT and crafting very personalized essays.

Did you all find any other organizations that help you to get prepared to apply for your MBA?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 06:01
Without knowing your current experience/story, I can't really give much advice. However, for me, my GMAT was average (median 80% for most schools), but I thought I made it up with my work/personal experience (manage big projects and manage younger analysts) and story (short + long term and why I'm doing it). If you want to chat more, please PM me and we can set up a phone call, etc.[/quote]

Also use this forum and look at a lot posts from other people in the past as they are very useful getting through this entire process. Wow I just typed up a storm, but I hope this helps![/quote]

Thanks for the advice and congratulations!

I will certainly focus on taking the time to study for the GMAT and crafting very personalized essays.

Did you all find any other organizations that help you to get prepared to apply for your MBA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
MLT is a great program to help prepare you. I didn't personally do it (since I found out about the program after the deadline and didn't want to push back business school any further) but I have a lot of friends who did and it was instrumental in their preparations. If you aren't in a rush to go to business school next year, I would highly recommend applying for MLT.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2016, 06:01

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  51   52   53   54   55   56   57  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap