GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Apr 2019, 07:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 13:01
davidlbrooks wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:
I wish they had public data on how many fellowships per school are given out!

Why? So everyone can game the system and pick the school that gives out the most? Consortium is very adamant that you pick the schools based on preference, and hiding the stats ensures that somewhat.

I have my school preferences, but my mom's medical care isn't cheap! Never grew up with a lot of money so apologize if I make $ a high priority for where I go :)

I feel like there is no wining on picking schools - if you forgo your #1 school people think you are cheating your self, but if you get rejected from your #1 people tell you that school #2-6 are just as good and you will learn to love it :roll:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 13:24
Without trying to sound super critical, I think applying to be a Consortium member and for the Fellowship should be about more than just getting money to go to business school. I saw some comments on here of people declining membership because they didn't get the fellowship. Are you really that dedicated to the Consortium and its mission if not getting a full-ride fellowship inclines you not to be even a part of the organization (which, by the way, is still offering career support and networking opportunities)? The Fellowship isn't just a full ride, but also recognition for what we have done and will continue to do to support the mission and the organization itself going forward (hence why you have to be approved as a Consortium member to qualify you to get the fellowship). For me, seeing people disregarding the Consortium and trying to milk it for the money is quite disconcerting.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 13:36
Izzy767 wrote:
Without trying to sound super critical, I think applying to be a Consortium member and for the Fellowship should be about more than just getting money to go to business school. I saw some comments on here of people declining membership because they didn't get the fellowship. Are you really that dedicated to the Consortium and its mission if not getting a full-ride fellowship inclines you not to be even a part of the organization (which, by the way, is still offering career support and networking opportunities)? The Fellowship isn't just a full ride, but also recognition for what we have done and will continue to do to support the mission and the organization itself going forward (hence why you have to be approved as a Consortium member to qualify you to get the fellowship). For me, seeing people disregarding the Consortium and trying to milk it for the money is quite disconcerting.

I agree that people shouldn't apply through the Consortium without a dedication to the mission. However, the mission is largely about access to business programs. Without a fellowship, business school really is inaccessible for many people. I don't think it is fair to assume that someone turning down a Consortium offer with no funding is not still in support of the mission. Affordability is, and should be, a huge part of the decision making process.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Economics
WE: Other (Other)
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 13:47
I got an update yesterday from the Consortium saying that I was admitted to a school and got membership but did not get the fellowship. I only applied to 2 schools and interviewed with one. So I thought that I was admitted to my #1 school. (the only school I interviewed with).

I have been telling people that I was admitted (per my email/application update yesterday).

Today, I get an email from the actual school saying that I am on the waitlist.

How could the Consortium make such a mistake?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 13:49
snooky wrote:
Izzy767 wrote:

I agree that people shouldn't apply through the Consortium without a dedication to the mission. However, the mission is largely about access to business programs. Without a fellowship, business school really is inaccessible for many people. I don't think it is fair to assume that someone turning down a Consortium offer with no funding is not still in support of the mission. Affordability is, and should be, a huge part of the decision making process.

I agree; the purpose of the fellowship is in large part to help make bschool more accessible. But I still question people's intentions if they are still able to attend a Consortium school without the fellowship, but decline the membership. The precursor to getting the fellowship itself is, after all, being a member and being dedicated to the program and mission. Does not getting the fellowship change that dedication?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 13:56
CourtneyDelicia wrote:
I got an update yesterday from the Consortium saying that I was admitted to a school and got membership but did not get the fellowship. I only applied to 2 schools and interviewed with one. So I thought that I was admitted to my #1 school. (the only school I interviewed with).

I have been telling people that I was admitted (per my email/application update yesterday).

WOW that's messed up. Maybe they were suppose to say you've received membership only. Call consortium and ask them.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 14:00
davidlbrooks wrote:
CourtneyDelicia wrote:

WOW that's messed up. Maybe they were suppose to say you've received membership only. Call consortium and ask them.

I only interviewed at 1 school. The consortium letter says "congrats on your admission to one of our top tier business schools.." I knew I didnt get the fellowship but the letter said I was admitted.

I got an email from the school today saying I was on the waitlist.

I'm waiting to speak to the Director now.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 14:02
DoorDelano wrote:
davidlbrooks wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:
I wish they had public data on how many fellowships per school are given out!

Why? So everyone can game the system and pick the school that gives out the most? Consortium is very adamant that you pick the schools based on preference, and hiding the stats ensures that somewhat.

I have my school preferences, but my mom's medical care isn't cheap! Never grew up with a lot of money so apologize if I make $ a high priority for where I go :)

I feel like there is no wining on picking schools - if you forgo your #1 school people think you are cheating your self, but if you get rejected from your #1 people tell you that school #2-6 are just as good and you will learn to love it :roll:

I grew up poor too but this isn't undergrad. There's no need-based scholarships for business school (well except HBS and Stanford, supposedly). The Consortium certainly isn't a need-based fellowship. And I don't think anyone could really pay for B-school out of pocket. Most, like me, will have to take out loans. It's a trade-off, if your stats are good enough for a top 10, then a top 30 most likely would offer you a generous package. If money was your #1 priority, go to a top 30 (many of whom are excellent schools in their own right). Would be nice to go to your dream school for free, but it rarely turns out that way.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 15:05
CourtneyDelicia wrote:
davidlbrooks wrote:
CourtneyDelicia wrote:

I only interviewed at 1 school. The consortium letter says "congrats on your admission to one of our top tier business schools.." I knew I didnt get the fellowship but the letter said I was admitted.

So what did they say? Seems weird to consider waitlist as a form of admissions.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 15:33
WOW that's messed up. Maybe they were suppose to say you've received membership only. Call consortium and ask them.[/quote]

I'm waiting to speak to the Director now.[/quote]

So what did they say? Seems weird to consider waitlist as a form of admissions.[/quote]

It was a mistake. After I called the Consortium, they said they would call the school. The school then called me and told me I was actually admitted. So I am admitted into the Consortium as a Member and into the school.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 15:34
CourtneyDelicia wrote:
davidlbrooks wrote:
CourtneyDelicia wrote:

Not cool. That's either a big fail on the Consortium or on the school. Hope it all works out.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.48
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 15:36
CourtneyDelicia wrote:

I'm waiting to speak to the Director now.[/quote]

So what did they say? Seems weird to consider waitlist as a form of admissions.[/quote]

It was a mistake. After I called the Consortium, they said they would call the school. The school then called me and told me I was actually admitted. So I am admitted into the Consortium as a Member and into the school.[/quote]

Crazy story but congrats! Glad it worked out!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 15:37
jbmonu wrote:
CourtneyDelicia wrote:

It was a mistake. After I called the Consortium, they said they would call the school. The school then called me and told me I was actually admitted. So I am admitted into the Consortium as a Member and into the school.[/quote]

Crazy story but congrats! Glad it worked out![/quote]
Wow. How does that even happen?!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 15:38
Izzy767 wrote:
jbmonu wrote:
CourtneyDelicia wrote:

So what did they say? Seems weird to consider waitlist as a form of admissions.

Crazy story but congrats! Glad it worked out![/quote]
Wow. How does that even happen?!

Posted from my mobile device [/quote]

Congrats!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 16:10
Am I the only one who didn't get a Consortium email this week regarding membership? I still haven't heard back from 2 schools and still nothing from Consortium...Anyone else?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 16:12
curiousOne wrote:
Am I the only one who didn't get a Consortium email this week regarding membership? I still haven't heard back from 2 schools and still nothing from Consortium...Anyone else?

Count me in. I haven't heard from what's now my only Consortium school, UCLA.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 16:14
philosobot wrote:
curiousOne wrote:

Ah okay- yes they are one of my two. Hmm so you didn't get the Consortium email this week about your membership status either :(?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 16:15
curiousOne wrote:
philosobot wrote:
curiousOne wrote:

Ah okay- yes they are one of my two. Hmm so you didn't get the Consortium email this week about your membership status either :(?

Nada.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 16:17
curiousOne wrote:
philosobot wrote:
curiousOne wrote:

Welcome to my world :) Keep me posted and good luck to you!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 16:20
Good luck all! Hopefully we hear back from UCLA soon. It would have been so great to celebrate this weekend, but we gotta hang in there.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2016, 16:20

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  57   58   59   60   61   62   63  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap