It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 22:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Booming Success Academy seeking MBAs to fulfill mission [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 11:01
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Booming Success Academy seeking MBAs to fulfill mission
As the largest charter school operator in New York City, Success Academy often finds itself in the news. When the organization decided to provide a more comprehensive view into its school design and culture, David Briggs got the assignment to address their needs.

The result was a sparkling series of virtual tours at Success Academy’s elementary and middle schools, featuring students on video describing what they do and how they learn, and educators breaking down their approach for viewers.

It was also a turning point for Briggs. That was the moment he knew he’d made the right move by leaving the private sector in 2015 to work for the education nonprofit.

“I was very proud of that work,” said Briggs, who earned his MBA in 2012 from New York University. “I didn’t feel like I was putting my MBA to its most creative use. The creativity wasn’t serving some sort of higher purpose.”

Today, Briggs is director of creative content at Success Academy Charter Schools, a recent corporate partner of The Consortium. The 10-year-old nonprofit is in the midst of a massive expansion, with plans to double the number of schools in the next five to 10 years, with six new ones due to open in the coming school year.

The organization is scaling up hiring in a variety of areas—from classroom teachers to school principals to central office leaders. The greatest need and many of the most rewarding leadership positions are directly within Success Academy’s schools.

“We also have managing director and director positions that we need to fill out our leadership layer,” said Savasti Addison, recruitment outreach associate for Success Academy. “These are the people who can be the strategic thinkers as we grow.”

That opportunity—to be a strategic thinker in a nonprofit environment—is what really drew Briggs to the opportunity. After a stellar nine-year career as a marketing professional and brand manager at Diageo, the spirits company, Briggs decided it wasn’t the place he saw himself retiring.

Experiences at a smaller spirits brand and a private advertising agency helped him further refine his career goals. When the opportunity arose at Success Academy, he jumped at it. “Here, it’s a good mix of strategic thought and problem-solving mixed with the creative-driven social change that I’m interested in.”

In his role, Briggs and his five-person team work across the organization to create content that serves the dual mission of providing world-class education and advocating for children who need quality education.

“We’re always looking for ways to tell that story,” he said. “My job is to think about that strategically. How do we use new media formats or social media to get the word out about the educational crisis out there?”

Briggs loves that he can use 30,000-foot level thinking and his broad perspective for the entire organization and its pieces—skills he learned as an MBA student and practitioner—to imagine what the organization needs to do to function and thrive. He can understand, for example, why colleagues in student enrollment may be upset about a legislative change that affects student recruitment and devise creative media strategies that might help address the situation.

The surprise, he said, was how much he enjoys the connection with students and the social justice ramifications of the work.

“It’s really rewarding to see people critical to education reform are keeping a close eye on us. They’re looking at our media and responding to it,” he said. “I didn’t realize how much I’d enjoy being part of the larger conversation. It’s very moving and a different way of participating in the political process that I didn’t expect.”

The post Booming Success Academy seeking MBAs to fulfill mission appeared first on The Consortium.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Manager
Manager

Consortium alumna’s nonprofit works to aid South African youth [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 10:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Consortium alumna’s nonprofit works to aid South African youth
Meisha Robinson (NYU ’07)

Consortium alumna Meisha Robinson (NYU ’07) is the founder and executive director of “I Am, We Are,” a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit dedicated to creating a world where all youth are socially engaged, globally aware, and economically free. She provided this guest post for The Consortium about her work.

I Am, We Are (IAWA) was founded on the South African philosophy of Ubuntu, or “I am because we are.” This nonprofit organization was born from my desire to create a path for youth in South Africa, where I worked as a Peace Corps volunteer and encountered many youth who yearned to achieve their dreams, but had no vehicle to get there.

Our organization was featured on Monday in a newscast from Washington, D.C.’s WUSA. See the video of my appearance here or below.

This week, with a cocktail reception and fundraiser on Thursday, we kick off plans to expand IAWA’s Bokgoni Empowerment Programme (Bokgoni) across South Africa’s Royal Bafokeng Nation. Bokgoni is a youth empowerment program that annually conducts three camps in Royal Bafokeng Nation, South Africa. The multiyear program empowers students from eighth through 11th grade to become self-sufficient adults.

IAWA strives to decrease South Africa’s 50 percent high school dropout rate and the 48 percent youth unemployment rate by giving youth an understanding of self and the global community. IAWA equips ambassadors with the knowledge and skills to pursue their dreams developing a generation of youth who are socially engaged, globally aware, and economically free.

IAWA started with 21 youth, but the all-volunteer team is confident that soon they will impact 2,100 youth. The money raised in the $100,000 fundraising campaign will expand the Bokgoni pilot from one high school to three and integrate 63 more youth into the program.

“There is a direct correlation between endeavors that support youth development and the growth of the communities in which they live and serve,” said Ernest Wyatt, managing director and partner of Batswadi Healthcare Group. “IAWA provides the tools youth need for a stronger and brighter future.”

The Royal Bafokeng Nation is a traditionally governed community of 150,000 people living in 29 villages. It owns 745 square miles of land located in the North West province of South Africa and sits on the world’s largest platinum reserves. The Royal Bafokeng Nation is the homeland of the Bafokeng people, a traditional Setswana-speaking community.

“The idea of community or social entrepreneurship primarily focused on youth and women could bring about fundamental change in different societies of the world especially those in need,” indicated Dr. Kebalepile Mokgethi, CEO of the Royal Bafokeng Health and Social Development Services. Dr. Mokgethi believes IAWA will continue to grow as a prototype that can be replicated anywhere in the world.

The fundraising reception will be at 6 p.m. on Thursday. More details are available on the event sign-up page. Mokgethi and Wyatt will address reception attendees. Anyone can support IAWA with a donation on our website.

The post Consortium alumna’s nonprofit works to aid South African youth appeared first on The Consortium.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Manager
Manager

The location of The Consortium’s corporate partners and member schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 14:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: The location of The Consortium’s corporate partners and member schools
We’ve previously published a list of the more than 70 corporate partners who contribute to The Consortium and help make the Orientation Program & Career Forum happen every year. We also have a list of our member schools. This interactive map lets you see where all our partners are located (as of March 17, 2017), as well as our member schools.

Two notes: First, the mapped location of Nestlé USA is for its planned U.S. headquarters, which was announced Feb. 1. Second, this map shows the U.S. headquarters for international companies.

Red pins show corporate partners; blue ones show member school locations. Zoom into the map for more detail. Click pins for a little more information about each company or school. Pop the map out into a separate page for a bigger view.

The post The location of The Consortium’s corporate partners and member schools appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Consortium fellow Tenaj Ferguson: The competition for Ms. Corporate Am [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 07:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Consortium fellow Tenaj Ferguson: The competition for Ms. Corporate America
This blog post was written by Consortium fellow Tenaj Ferguson (Texas ’17), who describes her “Ms. Corporate America” coronation on March 4 as “a shining crown moment.”

Tenaj Ferguson, Consortium fellow (The University of Texas at Austin, ’17).

Prior to Ms. Corporate America, I had never been in a pageant. The closest things would be public speaking and stage time “strutting my stuff” through my side hobby as a competitive National Physique Committee Bikini Body Builder.

Despite this, I had never imagined competing in a pageant. In fact, when the 2015 Ms. Corporate America, Charlene Rinehart, encouraged me to apply in 2016, I was hesitant for a whole year. I would always go back to “but I’m not really a pageant girl…”

Charlene’s work as an ambassador made me truly consider the organization and the impact I could have after realizing that the organization was beyond beauty and much deeper than the stereotypes I had associated with the pageant world (just being honest).

Ms. Corporate America’s mission represents engaging, empowering, celebrating, equipping and connecting women in business. This is a cause I already supported. I wanted to promote the diversity of thought, killer skills and leadership that women bring to the table!

Making it to the finals
Tenaj Ferguson immediately after being crowned Ms. Corporate America. (photo courtesy of the Ms. Corporate America organization)

I was thrilled when got word that I won my regional title, Ms. Austin, Texas. I celebrated, then successively asked myself, “What did you get yourself into?” as the moment of truth sank in. I struck gold by connecting with past queens to learn more about their experiences and get tips for the competition.

I was impressed by the richness of each queen’s reign and all the opportunities the title helped them to create such as participating in leadership workshops; speaking on confidence; attending and hosting women’s networking events; and partnering with other organizations and companies that support the mission.

One past queen started a women’s business incubator. Another used her skills while building her brand as a business writer and career coach. Connecting with these professional women exposed me to the power, privilege and responsibility of the title.

The Ms. and Mrs. Corporate America Pageant are held simultaneously, so it was awesome to meet all the contestants and bond with them. These relationships remain one of my favorite memories from the competition. Contestants attend valuable workshops on a range of topics led by past queens and industry experts.

We also had a closed interview with a panel of judges to dive deeper into our platform, professional experiences, and aspirations. This was worth 40 perfect of the pageant scores, with the on-stage interview question representing 10 percent. Other categories were formalwear and fitness.

A key difference between Ms. Corporate America and other pageants is the focus on business skills and brand building. There isn’t a talent section or a bikini section. I thought it was unique that there wasn’t a bikini competition but, instead, an athletic-wear section to reinforce the organization’s celebration of healthy living and a woman’s confidence in loving her body.

This year commemorated the 10-year anniversary of the Ms. Corporate America organization. I won the Cinderella award for best evening wear, the Fitness Maven award for bringing athletic presence to the stage and, yes—I really mean a resounding YAAASSSS—I won the overall crown title of Ms. Corporate America!

Platforms
Engaging diverse women in business. This platform is especially significant to me from my personal experiences as a diverse woman navigating business.

Creating your edge: The making of the multifaceted women. This platform is about celebrating all that women accomplish on all fronts of their lives, their responsibilities and their aspirations. Developing the whole woman professionally and personally helps her to unlock her potential, reach her dreams and access fulfillment.

This includes diversifying a woman’s skills in and out of the workplace (to include leadership, entrepreneurship opportunities, building a multidimensional life, developing her hobbies) engaging others using a clear personal brand story to best highlight her, and standing out through a confident overall presence (public speaking, leadership, image, and overall polish).

Next up for my reign
I’m looking forward to my reign and I feel honored to represent women in business through my platforms. I’ve since gotten a start on coordinating engagements, speaking opportunities and appearances to grow the brand, partner with companies and other relevant organizations to enhance women in business (happy to connect with any of you about opportunities you may have in mind).

I graduate with my MBA this May from The University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business, after which I will return to corporate America as an associate brand manager at Campbell Soup Company, where I interned last summer.

This was an opportunity sourced through The Consortium during Orientation Program. Finally, I’m grateful to you my Consortium family for the continued support of my goals and I certainly encourage other interested women to consider the Ms. Corporate America pageant and network.

Pictured above: Newly crowned Ms. Corporate America Tenaj Ferguson, foreground right, accepts the Formalwear Cinderella Award and the Sporty Maven Fitness Award from award presenter Kylah Johnson Mrs. Corporate America 2016 (photo courtesy of the Ms. Corporate America organization).

The post Consortium fellow Tenaj Ferguson: The competition for Ms. Corporate America appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Join us for The Consortium’s Night of Jazz [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 14:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Join us for The Consortium’s Night of Jazz
Join The Consortium for a night of jazz—and support our work at the same time!

We’ve partnered with Jazz St Louis for a night with The Bosman Twins. Buy your tickets now to hear some great music and support our work. Half the ticket proceeds go to support The Consortium’s programming and our mission to increase diversity in business education and corporate leadership.

When: Friday, May 19. Reception at 5:30 p.m.; show starts at 7:30 p.m.

Where: Jazz St. Louis, 3536 Washington Ave., St. Louis, MO 63103

Buy tickets: $40.00 per person (Note: Print out your receipt to use as your proof of purchase at the box office)

The post Join us for The Consortium’s Night of Jazz appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Our 5 b-school students: How they’ve prepared for summer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 08:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Our 5 b-school students: How they’ve prepared for summer
Since starting business school, their travels have taken them around the globe. They’ve learned to “get comfortable with being uncomfortable.” They’ve learned how to say “no,” how to focus their career aspirations and where they’ll be spending their summer internships in a few months.

With these latest learnings, we continue our series following five Consortium students from the start of business school throughout the two-year process. We’re following Alejandro Bolívar-Cervoni (Washington University in St. Louis); Elva Garza (Indiana University-Bloomington); Tite Jean-Pierre (University of Rochester); Tazia Middleton (University of California, Los Angeles); and Tobby Yi (Yale University).

And in case you missed it, here’s part one of the series, which ran about a month into the academic year. And this is part two, which ran in early December.

In today’s installment, we ask about the process of deciding on summer internships; how b-school has changed them; whether their career aspirations have changed; and what they wish could be different from business school.

Do you know what you’ll be doing this summer? What was the process to arrive at that plan?
Elva Garza (Indiana) on her MBA travels to Croatia.

After attending an MBA Innovation Exchange Program in Vienna, Austria, Elva will work with the global marketing team at Starbucks (a Consortium corporate partner) in Seattle this summer. She leaned heavily on coaching assistance from her university’s career services team, peer mentors and staff to help her decide on an internship.

“After walking out of (The Consortium’s Orientation Program & Career Forum), we were bombarded with different opportunities,” she said. “I needed guidance to make sure I made the best choice for me.”

For Tazia, the process began by consulting with consulting firms early in the recruiting process to determine whether that path was really what she wanted. The process yielded positive results and she landed a summer consulting position at The Boston Consulting Group in San Francisco.

Alejandro Bolivar-Cervoni with Consortium classmates at Washington University in St. Louis at a potluck dinner. Alejandro is in front of the guy with the green shirt.

Tite and Alejandro had settled on their internships before our last installment ran. Tite will be an associate brand manager intern with Mars Inc. in its pet care division in Nashville, Tenn. “I visited the headquarters and interacted with teammates in different levels of the organization to get a well-rounded view of the company and culture,” she said.

Alejandro starts this summer as a brand management internship last November at SC Johnson & Son (another Consortium corporate partner). Like Tite, he was compelled by the company’s assurance that he’d get the opportunity to be involved in meaningful analytical, creative, and strategic projects.

Tobby will work this summer in consulting for McKinsey & Company in San Francisco. “Considering my background in the nonprofit space, I wanted a role that would offer rigorous professional development and an opportunity to expand my problem-solver’s toolkit.”

What has surprised you about the job/internship search process?
Tazia Middleton (UCLA) at the white board during a group assignment in class.

For Tazia, the search for an internship “did confirm for me that networking actually is as important as I have been told,” she said. “The firms where I made quality connections were the firms that invited me for interviews and ultimately offered me internships.”

That networking, for some students, began with their experience at OP. Several spoke of opportunities or contacts that presented themselves through The Consortium’s annual workshop, and Elva spoke of “how much access we have as Consortium members to amazing companies and how easy it was to form a connection through this network.”

Tobby described the job search process as “immersive.”

“My calendar was completely filled with coffee chats, phone calls, case prep, and meetings,” he said. “I knew it was going to be a tough process, but the frenzy definitely doesn’t alleviate any of the pressure you already put on yourself.”

How has business school changed you, so far?
Tobby Yi (Yale) with “Handsome Dan”—Yale’s Mascot.

Across the board for our students, the theme is change and challenge. The five were virtually unanimous in saying business school has given them the strength to learn how to challenge themselves and open themselves to new experiences—from the Japan trip Alejandro coordinated with classmates to the “Bollywood” and hip-hop dances Tobby has performed in the past semester.

“The one thing that stands out the most is how comfortable I have gotten with being uncomfortable,” Elva said. “Whether that means taking classes in subjects I dislike or getting feedback on how to improve, I have grown to appreciate those situations.”

Tite has definitely seen opportunities to boost her confidence while serving as a subject matter expert, “but I’ve also been humbled multiple times when a few topics take a while for me to grasp,” she said. “This is your time. The opportunity to put in some work and practice into your opportunities—not weaknesses—is now.”

How have your career aspirations changed since you first applied to business school?
Tite Jean-Pierre (left, Rochester) with a Simon classmate at the Burishibana Gold Mine Ruins on a winter 2016 trip to Aruba.

By taking time to evaluate different industries and career functions, Alejandro has been able to refine his aspirations significantly. “I began business school in an exploration mindset,” he said. “Now I am pursuing a specialization mindset by taking marketing data analytics and market research classes.”

Tobby has seen his aspirations grow—but the trajectory is still unclear. “I have been exposed to more and more possibilities, all while getting a deeper look into subjects I was never aware of before,” he said. “Lines have been blurred, so it’ll take some more time and reflection to really define what those aspirations are again.”

But change wasn’t universal among the five students. Tazia came to b-school determined to be a consultant. She’s getting the chance this summer. Same with Elva, who had her interests reinforced by her experience in b-school. “I am more excited than ever to join Starbucks and try my luck at marketing and brand management.”

There is a lot of literature out there on the question of whether b-school prepares students for the right things. What do you wish was different about business school?
The pressure to find a job—to get a return on the business school investment—feels pervasive, according to Tazia. “With all of the demands of recruiting, it is easy to lose sight of the fact that we are also in school to learn and become better leaders,” she said. “I think it’s important to figure out how to strike a good balance between both.”

For Elva, that could involve a better balance between real-world experience and theoretical classwork “so we can be our best selves in our jobs.” It’s an experience she’s had at Kelley on a semester-long, real-life consulting project with Procter & Gamble. “The experience was nothing short of amazing.”

Tobby suggests the experience could better extend beyond the boundaries of a single business school. “I want more exposure to the other schools,” he said. “It would be great if schools could start a network or collaborated via projects/assignments.”

And Alejandro wishes business schools could find a way to help students look around the corner at career tracks that don’t yet exist. “I wish there was a course available that would anticipate the economic and social changes that will propel those career tracks,” he said. “And how I can prepare for those impending changes.”

Part 1: Getting back into the swing of academic life

Part 2: What they wish they’d known before starting b-school

The post Our 5 b-school students: How they’ve prepared for summer appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Minorities in business: Consortium alum featured in webinar with GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 12:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Minorities in business: Consortium alum featured in webinar with GMAT
The Graduate Management Admission Council hosted a webinar today via Google Hangout. The event featured several underrepresented minorities who are embarking on their process or have gone to business school for their MBA—including Marco Ramirez, a 2015 graduate of The University of Texas at Austin‘s b-school.

He now works for Starbucks after going through The Consortium and UT’s program.

GMAC described the session this way: “During this session, African American, Hispanic and Latino current MBA students and alumni will share their business school journey and the resources they used to gain entrance into graduate business programs. Topics will include preparing the application, securing an internship or full-time job, networking throughout the MBA experience, and mentoring opportunities along the way.”

One of the point Marco made involved the community that he built while going through business school and The Consortium: “That network that you build, especially if you’re MLT, Consortium, whatever. If you’re Forté—it’s not just specific to your organization or to your MBA program. You’re going to find yourself meeting people who are also fellow MBA grads outside of the program and across the nation because of the fact that there’s that common ground and there’s that next level that really connects everybody.”

Watch the entire one-hour video here, which covered topics involving preparation for business school, community support for the decision, commonalities among underrepresented minorities who have gone through the process and much more.

Pictured above: Marco Ramirez appearing in the GMAT webinar on April 13, 2017.

The post Minorities in business: Consortium alum featured in webinar with GMAT appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

IU Consortium students learn to channel breakthrough beliefs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 07:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: IU Consortium students learn to channel breakthrough beliefs
Awa Diaw, DeAnna Hoy, Danielle Hunt, Erica Smith and Tyler Whitsett, Consortium members at Indiana University-Bloomington, contributed to this guest post for The Consortium.

First-year Consortium members Edgar Diaz (Kelley MBA ‘18) and Danielle Hunt (Kelley MBA ‘18) participate in the DIGNITAS Art of Inquiry exercise.

On March 24, The DIGNITAS Agency presented the 2017 Eddie C. Brown Professional Development Summit to Consortium members at Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business. Led by partners Cheryl Burrell, Stacy Parson and Angela Taylor, The DIGNATAS Agency has aimed to help professionals — particularly African Americans — find their authentic voice and gain the necessary skills and ability to gain executive positions in corporations as well as government and nonprofit organizations.

During the day-long workshop, attendees delved into an array of activities. They participated in a vision mapping and personal brand statement session; viewed Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s “Danger of a Single Story” Ted Talk; and engaged in an “Art of Inquiry” exercise in which participants candidly discussed their own personal limiting beliefs in small groups. That was followed by words of affirmation from other group members and a renewed focus on breakthrough beliefs to counter any negative mindsets.

‘Life-Changing Experience’
Consortium member Tyler Whitsett (Kelley MBA ’18).

First-year Consortium member Danielle Hunt (Kelley MBA ’18) described this year’s Eddie Brown Summit as a “life-changing experience” — while first-year Tyler Whitsett (Kelley MBA ’18) saw it as an opportunity to craft his own narrative.

“As human beings, we are so consumed by living that we do not spend much time understanding what our ‘limiting belief’ is and how it is stopping us from being as impactful as we desire,” Hunt said. “This summit made me really examine the root causes of my limiting belief and furthermore develop questions that I will need to answer so that I can accomplish all the great things that I have planned for my life.”

“We all have limiting beliefs — those thought patterns that we revert to when we start to feel the pressures of life: It’s too hard. Too much to do and not enough time. I don’t know how,” Whitsett said. “During the Eddie Brown Summit, we learned not only how to identify when we engage in those thought patterns, but also how to change the narrative of those beliefs. It’s too hard becomes I do hard things and I don’t know how turns into I will learn.”

Controlling Your Personal Brand
The DIGNITAS Agency presented the 2017 Eddie C. Brown Professional Development Summit to Consortium members at Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business in March 2017.

“On the surface, it may seem like an exercise in semantics,” Whitsett said. “But in the short amount of time that has passed since this event, I have come to understand the true power of managing those thought patterns and controlling your narrative and personal brand.”

Awa Diaw (Kelley MBA ‘18) and DeAnna Hoy (Kelley MBA ‘17) walked away from the workshop with a new sense of energy — and a sense of gratefulness for Indiana University’s continued investment in personal development opportunities for Consortium members.

“I continue to be very grateful for all the ways that the Kelley Consortium program has invested into my livelihood as a student, professional, and a human being,” Diaw said.   “DIGNITAS ultimately reminded us all of our ‘remarkableness’ and our ability to impact change in ourselves and those around us.”

“Oftentimes we face situations where our experience is questioned or we feel the need to prove ourselves over and over,” Hoy said. “I feel so empowered and equipped to finish the last quarter of the MBA thanks to the Eddie Brown Summit. Thank you, Eddie Brown, The Consortium, and Kelley School of Business for providing this opportunity to improve.”

Pictured Above: The DIGNITAS Agency presented the 2017 Eddie C. Brown Professional Development Summit to Consortium members at Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business in March 2017.

The post IU Consortium students learn to channel breakthrough beliefs appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

How much did 1981 Consortium MBAs make in their 1st jobs? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 07:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: How much did 1981 Consortium MBAs make in their 1st jobs?
Let’s look back to an earlier time. The year is 1981. MTV launched two months after our 15th Orientation Program & Career Forum. “Sailing” by Christopher Cross won the Grammy for song of the year. “Chariots of Fire” took Oscar’s best picture trophy. Beyoncé was born.

We know that our students—including the ones entering The Consortium this year—have many reasons for pursuing their MBA. Some are interested in switching careers. Some see the degree as a path to take their existing career to the next level. Today’s students, like those no doubt of yesterday, see the degree as a way to increase their earning potential.

So what did those 1981 Consortium MBAs earn when they were fresh out of business school?

In 1981, six top MBA business programs were part of The Consortium, which staged its Orientation Program on the campus of Washington University in St. Louis. In October, The Consortium reported that 66 students had graduated with their MBAs, bringing the total number of alumni from our program to 827.

Another 15 students were scheduled to complete their MBAs in December 1981.

In that October 1981 document, The Consortium reported on the profile of the class of ’81, sharing attributes such as the percentage of African Americans; men versus women; work experience; marital status; and a lot more.

Among the 32 men who graduated that year and took post-MBA jobs, the average starting salary was $25,372. Among the 34 women, their average starting salary was a smidge higher at $25,521. Salaries for the Consortium’s fledgling MBAs ranged from $19,000 to $40,800 in 1981.

“The Consortium MBAs with undergraduate technical/science majors received higher starting salaries than those Consortium MBAs with business/economics majors,” the report’s authors wrote. “Majors in humanities, social sciences, etc., received the highest mean starting salary.”

The authors attributed that to the fact that the latter group had more pre-MBA experience—four or more years versus three years or fewer.

Today, Consortium MBA graduates have an average of five years of experience. Our employment reports do not ask about salary, but U.S. News & World Report reported in March that the average salaries for the class of 2016 ranged from $126,919 in consulting to $81,776 for MBAs in the nonprofit sector.

That means today’s new MBA business consultants make nearly five times more than the average 1981 MBA student from The Consortium.

Pictured above: The cover of the 1981 resource guide for the 15th Annual Orientation Program & Career Forum in St. Louis. We resisted the urge to use a photo of Beyoncé. That would have been cheating.

The post How much did 1981 Consortium MBAs make in their 1st jobs? appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

He built a business with MBAs, but didn’t have one. That’s changing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 11:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: He built a business with MBAs, but didn’t have one. That’s changing
For five years, Brian Gloede ran a startup that worked hand-in-hand with MBA students and recent business school graduates. The idea: Give them a way to devote their formidable business skills to a worthy nonprofit for three months of the year.

The irony: Gloede—the guy who founded the company, developed the business model, found the partners and recruited the fellows—didn’t have an MBA himself.

“I realized this is the right place to build some additional skills to reorient my career,” said Gloede, an incoming Consortium fellow in the midst of intense preparations for the Orientation Program & Career Forum in June while preparing to transition from his work with his startup. “It definitely took this experience to make me realize that.”

Gloede will attend New York University’s Stern School of Business in the fall.

The social enterprise Gloede founded is called Quarterback. The organization works to pair MBAs who want to take a quarter of a year off with nonprofit organizations that can use some high-octane business savvy. It’s a concept Gloede himself stumbled upon when he was seeking another direction for his career after four years as an investment banking professional.

He spent time working on a nonprofit organization’s junior board on a part-time basis, then asked the organization’s CEO how they might use Gloede if he donated three months of full-time, pro bono assistance. Gloede ended up working on a strategy for corporate relations and engagement for the organization and found himself energized by the experience.

“At the close of the three months, I had a lot of colleagues reach out to say, ‘I’d love to do that at some point, how did you find it,'” Gloede said. From there, Quarterback germinated.

Five years later, the company has a new group of 10 fellows preparing to take a quarter this summer and work for eight different nonprofit organizations. And Gloede himself is preparing to commence his own graduate business education.

In fact, he’s gotten a great deal of encouragement from another Consortium fellow, Stefanie Thomas (Michigan ’15). She was a Quarterback fellow in 2013—the summer before starting her MBA program—and joined Gloede to help run Quarterback in 2015 before moving on into impact investing.

“She spoke incredibly highly of her experience with The Consortium,” Gloede said. “That was one of the things that got me interested. She was really key in coaching me to get Quarterback to the program it is now.”

Now he’s engaged in the “drinking from a firehose” experience that is OP preparation: Meetings with representatives from NYU; a Chicago-area meetup with Consortium students and alumni from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Indiana University-Bloomington and NYU; getting his resume up to snuff; and conversing with career coaches.

“I’ve been counseled that the best thing for me is to know thyself as you head in OP,” he said. “Now I’m in the same boat as all my Quarterback fellows this summer. I can gather a lot of viewpoints. There’s a lot of shared excitement going around.”

Quarterback Partners

The post He built a business with MBAs, but didn’t have one. That’s changing appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

How a member school gets ready for OP [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 07:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: How a member school gets ready for OP
Paula Fontana

With the 2017 Orientation Program & Career Forum just around the corner, we wanted to get perspective on what it takes for our constituents to prepare for this intense annual conference. For the member school perspective, we turned to Paula Fontana at Emory University—the neighborhood where this year’s OP will be staged in Atlanta.

Fontana is associate director of advising in the Emory Goizueta Business School career services department. We asked her a few questions about the preparation process. These are her replies.

As a Consortium member school, what goes into preparing for an event like OP? Is there a strategy behind how many people you bring, and who?

Even though we have been a Consortium member school for years, preparing for OP is always such an exciting time. Students are always so eager, apprehensive of the process and full of questions, so we make sure to connect with them well in advance of the conference to guide them in making the most of their experience. Our number of conference support staff stays relatively constant unless, of course, OP is held in our backyard. Then it is all hands on deck.

Do you have a “war room” where you work out how you expect the week to go? How do you measure success from your time and investment in an event like OP?

Absolutely! The “war room” is where the magic happens and students have the opportunity to test the strength of their preparation with members of our community. Students arrive with varied skill sets as well as varied career goals, so it would be unfair to measure success any other way than through individual growth. As long as I see growth in every student, then I deem OP a success.

What is your expectation from the Emory students who you will encounter at OP?

I expect them to represent themselves and Goizueta to the best of their ability, keeping in mind our core values: courage; integrity; accountability; rigor; diversity; team; community.

What is the most difficult thing for you and your colleagues about bringing young professionals, years out of school, back into an academic environment? And for the students themselves?

Students have to, at times, adjust from being subject-matter experts in their previous careers to being vulnerable enough to learn new skills and ways of thought, especially as it relates to the MBA recruiting landscape. Getting them to trust the process is usually the most difficult hurdle to overcome, but once they know how much we genuinely care about their success, then we are able to move forward.

Emory has been a member school since 2001. From your experience, or those you know, is preparing for OP a new experience every year, or has it become a well-oiled machine? What’s the same year after year and what changes?

The OP prep process has become a well-oiled machine as far as timing of deliverables and requirements pre-OP; however each year the needs of the student vary slightly with the population so we have to treat each class uniquely through the use of soft skills to ensure that they receive the preparation needed to be successful.

The post How a member school gets ready for OP appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Danaher: Orientation Program requires ‘immense amount’ of preparation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 12:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Danaher: Orientation Program requires ‘immense amount’ of preparation
With The Consortium’s Orientation Program & Career Forum just a few weeks away, we wanted to share the perspective from a corporate partner about the work required to prepare. What better choice than Danaher, the lead sponsor of this year’s OP in Atlanta, June 9-14?

We posed several questions to Ernest Adams, vice president, global diversity and inclusion for Danaher—and a member of The Consortium’s board of trustees [we also got OP preparation insights from a member school and a student].

As a Consortium corporate partner, what goes into preparing for an event like OP? Is there a strategy behind how many people you bring—and who?

It will not come as a surprise that preparing for an event like OP requires an immense amount of preparation. We’re thinking and planning six months or more ahead. Our underlying goal is to bring as many committed associates as we can to an event like OP.

And, I’m proud to say, we have 60-plus individuals coming this year to represent Danaher and our operating companies. I think that shows a tremendous buy-in from our associates, who see the value of engaging with an organization like The Consortium and the real benefits of being able to meet with top-tier talent at OP.

Do you have a “war room” where you work out how you expect the week to go? How do you measure success from your time and investment in an event like OP?

It’s all about planning. We have a number of sessions, especially with our first-time attendees, to run them through situations and give them a sense of what OP is like so the hectic nature of the week won’t surprise them. It’s a busy event!

We also have a dedicated room at our hotel that contains all the materials we need, as well as serving as a base camp or meeting space for our representatives throughout the week. That’s a tremendously helpful resource from an organizing perspective. [I talk about measuring success in the answer to your next question].

We often hear that events such as OP are more about creating relationships than a transactional “fill an opening” opportunity. Can you talk about how that plays out for Danaher?

Definitely. From a certain perspective, the benefits that are easy to quantify are “How many hires did we make this year?” And that’s an important metric, to be sure, for a number of reasons—including how to maintain the business case for our continued investment with The Consortium.

But from a more important perspective, it absolutely is about relationship-building. If we come in with just a transactional attitude—we’re here to make a certain number of hires, and that’s it—we lose a tremendous amount of potential from our relationship with The Consortium as a whole.

One, we need to be mindful about how to build our brand over many years of investment. Especially for a company like Danaher, which doesn’t start from a position of widespread name-recognition, we really do need to make an effort of years of partnership-building in order to guarantee that our company is on the radar of top-tier MBA students as a great place to work.

Secondly, we see the relationship with The Consortium as being more than about the touchpoints we make during the few days of OP. We really do want to stay engaged with Consortium fellows—not just throughout the year and not just throughout their MBA studies—but through the entire alumni base so we can potentially recruit great talent at any level.

What do you expect from the students you will encounter at OP?

We don’t need to guess. We’ve seen it first-hand. At OP, these are the best of the best and we know the level of quality and dedication any number of these students can bring to our company.

We have been making hires for two years now at OP and I can already point to so many success stories of those fellows succeeding in big ways within Danaher. I’m excited to see how these young leaders progress through the company ranks and continue to make a big, big impact on our organization.

This is Danaher’s third year as a Consortium corporate partner and OP participant. Now, this year, you’re our lead sponsor. The deeper financial commitment clearly conveys deeper involvement. Can you describe how your experience and strategy has evolved since you first became involved with The Consortium—and why?

It’s a good question. People often comment to me that they are surprised at how quickly Danaher has leveraged the recruiting and sponsorship opportunities of OP just three years in.

My response is always, “Well, how could we not?” This is the kind of top-tier talent we cannot find anywhere else. And other companies obviously realize the same thing. There is intense competition for this talent. Each year, we come in with the goal to best articulate Danaher’s Shared Purpose: “Helping Realize Life’s Potential.”

From providing meaningful careers to top business leaders to working in a diverse set of operating companies that are striving to make the world a better place—we are always looking for ways to best communicate just what Danaher stands for and the quality of opportunities we can provide to Consortium fellows.

Truthfully, there is a bit of an arms race for companies involved in OP to show up and show off in order to attract attention. And we know we need to show up in a big way this year—especially as lead sponsor.

But fundamentally, at the end of the day, it really is about communicating our core values and our purpose that drives us as a company. And that is what I think will continue to appeal to the many students attracted to a career at Danaher.

The post Danaher: Orientation Program requires ‘immense amount’ of preparation appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

6 Consortium students among Poets & Quants’ ‘best and brightest’ for 2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 09:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: 6 Consortium students among Poets & Quants’ ‘best and brightest’ for 2017
Once again, Poets & Quants has highlighted its annual list of the “Best and Brightest MBAs,” this time for the class of 2017. The list of 100 students from business schools internationally includes six Consortium alumni from this year’s class — students who started their MBA journey at the 49th Annual Orientation Program & Career Forum in Phoenix, Ariz., in 2015, and who are now walking out with MBAs and career opportunities ahead of them.

“Open. Passionate. Imaginative. Steadfast. These are virtues that united many of this year’s Best & Brightest MBAs,” wrote Poets & Quants in its feature story on the list. The publication contacted 63 MBA programs from the publication’s ranking of top MBA programs and schools were invited to submit up to four students for consideration.

Poets & Quants “did suggest that the schools nominate students who exemplified the ideals of their programs, with measures potentially including ‘academic prowess, extracurricular achievements, innate intangibles and potential, or their unusual personal stories.'”

Nominated students then had to complete an extensive questionnaire before the publication winnowed down the list from 237 submissions to 100 honorees. These are the Consortium students who made the cut. Congratulations to all of them. Click through the students’ names to read the Poets & Quants write-up about them.

Name
School
Hometown
Employer

Hady Barry
 U.C. Berkeley (Haas)
 Conakry, Guinea
 Undecided

David A. Distant
 University of Rochester (Simon)
 Hartsdale, NY
 Citi

Laju Obasaju
 USC (Marshall)
 Bellmore, NY
 AT&T

Holly Price
 University of Michigan (Ross)
 Houston, TX
 McKinsey

Tahira Taylor
 Georgetown (McDonough)
 Detroit, MI
 WPP MBA Fellowship

Colleen Thomas
 UCLA (Anderson)
 South Holland, IL
 Accenture Strategy

Pictured above: The Consortium students from the class of 2017 named among Poets & Quants’ “best and the brightest” in the class. Clockwise from top left: Hady Barry, Berkeley; David A. Distant, Rochester; Laju Obasaju, USC; Colleen Thomas, UCLA; Holly Price, Michigan; and Tahira Taylor, Georgetown.

The post 6 Consortium students among Poets & Quants’ ‘best and brightest’ for 2017 appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Consortium pairing diverse alumni with senior career opportunities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 08:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Consortium pairing diverse alumni with senior career opportunities
The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, a half-century leader in driving diversity in business education and corporate leadership, has expanded services to its network of 9,000-plus alumni and 75 corporate partners, pairing alumni with career opportunities that demand more experienced leaders.

Pharmacy innovation company CVS Health made the first hire as part of the new initiative, designed to provide corporate partners with access to The Consortium’s sizable database of diverse corporate leaders while offering alumni a new path to their next career step.

Brian Wesley

“The partnership between CVS Health and The Consortium demonstrates the power of this initiative to serve both corporate partners and members of our alumni network,” said Brian Wesley, The Consortium’s assistant vice president for talent engagement, who has spearheaded the experience-hire initiative since November.

For its part in engaging the new initiative, CVS Health reviewed a number of candidates for the role of senior strategy advisor for product innovation—including several Consortium members who had been vetted for the position. CVS offered the position to Tyler Converse, a Consortium fellow and 2014 MBA recipient from the University of Rochester. She begins May 15 after a year as an independent management consultant and a career in brand management. She’ll work as an internal management consultant in the product innovation team at CVS Health.

“The quality of candidates Brian could provide for this role shows how deep the talent pool is in The Consortium community,” said Christine Del Regno, Director of Diversity and University recruiting for CVS Health. “Because it is a strategic partner for our University MBA recruiting needs, we did not hesitate to engage The Consortium for alumni searches and we’re thrilled to be adding Tyler to the CVS team.”

Converse said the entire recruitment experience, and working with The Consortium team, was fulfilling. “Brian was helpful in all ways in pairing me with this opportunity,” she said. “This was the only position where he made it his personal mission to bring to my attention. He believed that it was a great match and he was absolutely correct.”

The experienced-hire initiative represents an important new offering from The Consortium, which has worked since 1966 to increase opportunities in business education and corporate leadership for African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans. Working with 18 top-tier MBA programs across the country, The Consortium recruits underrepresented minorities to business school and provides corporate partners early access to early-career, diverse business leaders.

After successfully cultivating the diversity pipeline for students at the start of their MBA career, The Consortium now drives diverse alumni toward opportunities in the middle and senior stages of their career.

“Our experience with CVS Health validates what we’ve known all along,” said Anthony J. Davis, vice president for development at The Consortium. “We have a role to play throughout the career continuum for our alumni—an ongoing benefit for them and our corporate partners.”

About The Consortium

Founded in 1966, the vision of The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management is to increase the representation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in management careers in the United States. We realize this vision by recruiting outstanding students who have shown a commitment to diversity. We connect them with opportunities through our alliance of more than 75 major corporate partners and 18 top-tier business schools dedicated to working collaboratively toward advancing our mission. More at cgsm.org; on Facebook @cgsm.org; Twitter @cgsm_mba; and YouTube @TheCGSM.

About CVS Health

CVS Health is a pharmacy innovation company helping people on their path to better health. Through its nearly 9,700 retail locations, more than 1,100 walk-in medical clinics, a leading pharmacy benefits manager with nearly 90 million plan members, a dedicated senior pharmacy care business serving more than one million patients per year, expanding specialty pharmacy services, and a leading stand-alone Medicare Part D prescription drug plan, the company enables people, businesses and communities to manage health in more affordable and effective ways. This unique integrated model increases access to quality care, delivers better health outcomes and lowers overall health care costs. Find more information about how CVS Health is shaping the future of health at https://www.cvshealth.com.

The post Consortium pairing diverse alumni with senior career opportunities appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

A match made in The Consortium: Jamaica and James Bryant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 15:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: A match made in The Consortium: Jamaica and James Bryant
James and Jamaica Bryant.

Seems like someone had tried to get Jamaica and James Bryant together once before. It took The Consortium to finally make it happen.

Professional success stories are legion among Consortium alumni. But we take a special joy in sharing a story that includes professional success and a touch of magic.

Today, Jamaica (UVA ’11) is director of operations for the MBA Career Management Center at Emory University’s Goizueta Business School. James (UNC ’11) is senior manager, global merchant services at American Express.

But we pick up our story more than a decade ago, when James worked as a marketing representative for an insurance firm and Jamaica worked as a supervisor for a wholesale parts supplier — both in Atlanta.

And they lived within a mile of each other. They never met during their time in Atlanta, although they had frequented some of the same places around their neighborhoods.

It wasn’t until each decided to get their MBA, after both had been accepted to the University of Virginia’s business school, that they first met at an admitted students’ weekend in February 2009 in Charlottesville.

A Slow Start
James and Jamaica Bryant.

James saw Jamaica at the event while he was chatting with Darden’s admissions officer at the time, Kellie Sauls. “I was hoping Kellie would introduce us,” James said. And she did.

It didn’t go that well.

“He was talking to her and having a good time,” Jamaica said. “I was very excited because I had gotten The Consortium scholarship and the Forte scholarship. Kellie introduced us, but I just said a quick hi and started talking to Kellie because I was so excited.”

Undeterred, he persisted and talked to her a little at a dinner for all the admitted students that evening. They exchanged information and went their separate ways — he to Atlanta, her to Baltimore, where she was working at that time. A few Facebook messages later and Jamaica was starting to wonder what was developing.

“I’m a little bit oblivious at this point,” she said. “I think this guy likes me. He might, but I’m not sure.”

Smitten For Certain
James was sure. When he knew they would see each other at the Orientation Program & Career Forum in Charlotte, N.C., that June, he was ready. He knew Jamaica was going to be single-minded about her focus on interviews for prospective internships.

“I was going to take it seriously and prepare,” James said. “But I was really focused on meeting Jamaica.”

By the end of OP, they were both bowled over. They’d spent as much time as possible together and when they departed, took every opportunity for a goodbye hug as they encountered each other in the hotel lobby, the cab stand, airport security and at lunch.

“We think of the end of OP as this long, drawn out series of hugs,” Jamaica said. “It’s entertaining and it’s sweet.”

Wedding Bells at City Hall
From there, the couple burned through all their airline miles to visit each other. They conspired to get internships in Chicago—her with Kraft, him with Accenture. During their second year of business school, James stacked his classes so he could make the three-hour commute to Charlottesville for long weekends nearly every week.

By October 2013, after they’d both established themselves in positions with separate Chicago companies, they finally decided it was time. “We’d graduated from business school, we’d bought a condo” Jamaica said. “We were talking one night. I said, ‘I really want to be with you’ and he said, ‘I really want to be with you.'”

They got their marriage license the next day and eloped the day after that. They flipped a coin to see whose parents would get the first phone call. Jamaica “won” and was greeted with screams of joy from the other end when she announced the marriage. James’ parents had also eloped and were equally thrilled for the couple.

Now both are back in the city where they had just missed each other years earlier. And they’re both strong advocates for The Consortium.

“Whenever we hear of anyone interested in getting their MBA, we always recommend The Consortium,” Jamaica said. “We’re very loyal to The Consortium.”

PICTURED ABOVE: The “official” wedding portrait that a friend took of James and Jamaica Bryant on the day they eloped in Chicago. They are both 2011 Consortium alums and met through their membership.

The post A match made in The Consortium: Jamaica and James Bryant appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Using your MBA in the business of sports [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 13:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Using your MBA in the business of sports
Nicole Kankam, 2005 MBA from New York University and Consortium fellow.

Nicole Kankam, a Consortium alumna who received her MBA from New York University in 2005, is the managing director for marketing at the USTA. She contributed this guest post for The Consortium.

I’m often asked if an MBA is required for a career in the sports industry and, more importantly, is it valued by the industry at all?

Many have questioned: What does an MBA education offer to an industry that is so different from the typical MBA career progression towards financial services or consulting? However, the business fundamentals acquired through an MBA education are exactly what the sports industry needs—now more than ever.

Technology is having a significant impact on sports, ranging from how fans view games, to how they connect with their favorite sports stars, to what they expect from a stadium experience. As a result, the business of sports is changing on a daily basis. How organizations monetize the core product—as well as new opportunities—requires an innovative approach.

Having leaders with honed strategic thinking skills, strong analytic competencies, and creative problem-solving abilities ensures that these organizations can adapt to the changing consumer landscape. Given the training that MBA students receive in these areas, they are primed to help the sports industry address these challenges.

Personally, I have found my MBA education to be an invaluable asset in my sports career.  I have been fortunate that the USTA saw value in my MBA education from the start, but it has helped that I have been able to prove it out over time.

The rigorous coursework I experienced at NYU Stern helped prepare me for the challenges of a demanding sports career. The marketing classes I completed provided a great foundation for me to bring a more thoughtful, strategic approach to marketing planning at the USTA.

Beyond the marketing classes, the finance training I received at NYU Stern helped strengthen my financial acumen to be a better partner with our finance team in business forecasting. In addition to the professional skills, an MBA program includes a focus on professional networking and leadership development that has served me well in advancing my career in sports.

An encouraging sign that the sports industry is recognizing the MBA’s value is reflected in the recent class of the Sports Business Journal’s 40 under 40, as a number of the honorees hold MBA degrees from leading institutions.

As the sports industry continues to evolve, I believe there will be even more examples and opportunities for MBAs to prove their value.

The post Using your MBA in the business of sports appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Consortium welcomes Rice University as 19th member school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 12:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Consortium welcomes Rice University as 19th member school
The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, for 51 years the leader in increasing the ranks of underrepresented minorities in business education and corporate leadership, has expanded its reach among the nation’s top MBA programs with the addition of Rice University’s Jones Graduate School of Business.

The Houston-based university, consistently ranked as a top-20 program, officially joins The Consortium on July 1, 2017, following approval on June 13 by The Consortium’s board of trustees and the signing of the university’s membership agreement on June 19.

“The partnership with Rice University in furthering our mission is an excellent opportunity for both of us,” said Peter J. Aranda III, The Consortium’s executive director and CEO. “We’re excited by the leadership commitment at the Jones Graduate School of Business to diversity and inclusion — and, in particular, we recognize the high priority Dean Peter Rodriguez places in this area.”

Rodriguez, the first Latino dean at Rice University, assumed the post less than a year ago and has consistently spoken of the importance of increasing diversity in the ranks of MBA schools and corporate leadership. Rodriguez was previously senior associate dean for degree programs and chief diversity officer at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business — another Consortium member school.

Below: Dean Peter Rodriguez speaks about his school’s commitment to diversity.

“Enrolling more underrepresented minorities and getting diverse talent is one of our key priorities for the school,” Rodriguez said. “Membership in the highly impactful Consortium will allow us to cultivate relationships with prospective students earlier and build connections with other universities.”

The addition of Rice marks the first expansion in The Consortium’s membership since 2013, when Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business joined. During Aranda’s nearly 14-year tenure as executive director, The Consortium has added five new schools to its membership — Yale University; Cornell University; the University of California, Los Angeles; Georgetown; and Rice. A sixth school, the University of California, Berkeley, returned in 2010 after withdrawing seven years earlier.

The Consortium works with its member schools and 75 corporate partners to increase the ranks of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in U.S. business schools and corporate leadership positions. The Consortium serves this mission by annually offering hundreds of merit-based, full-tuition fellowships to promising leaders, as well as membership in a global network of more than 9,000 diversity-minded alumni, member school representatives and corporate partners. This month, The Consortium welcomed nearly 480 new students into its program, joining an equally large class of rising second-year MBA students.

Those corporate partners — which include companies such as Google, General Mills, 3M, Johnson & Johnson and dozens more — gain early access to top-flight, diverse talent at The Consortium’s Orientation Program & Career Forum in early June each year. Coincidentally, The Consortium’s 2019 OP in two years will be staged in Rice University’s backyard in Houston, Texas.

The Consortium will begin recruiting prospective MBA students for Rice’s Jones Graduate School of Business this fall, with its first class of Consortium fellows graduating in the spring of 2020.

ABOUT THE CONSORTIUM: Founded in 1966, the vision of The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management is to increase the representation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in management careers in the United States. We realize this vision by recruiting outstanding students who have shown a commitment to diversity and connecting them with top-tier MBA programs and corporations. Learn more at cgsm.org; follow us on Facebook @cgsm.org; Twitter @cgsm_mba; and YouTube @TheCGSM. The Consortium, founded at the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis, now includes the University of California, Berkeley; the University of California, Los Angeles; Carnegie Mellon University; Cornell University; Dartmouth College; Emory University; Georgetown University; Indiana University-Bloomington; the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor; New York University; The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Rochester University; the University of Southern California; The University of Texas at Austin; the University of Virginia; the University of Wisconsin-Madison; Yale University; and on July 1, Rice University.

ABOUT RICE UNIVERSITY’S JONES GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS: Rice’s MBA programs, including the Rice MBA, Rice MBA for Executives and Rice MBA for Professionals, give students a comprehensive learning experience that mixes specialized coursework with real-world applications. The programs feature innovative classes, expert faculty and diverse classmates who become lifetime colleagues. Consistently recognized as a top-20 business school, the Jones School is internationally known for the research and thought leadership of its faculty. For more information on Rice MBA programs, visit http://business.rice.edu. For more information about and insights from Jones School faculty research, visit the school’s Rice Business Wisdom website, http://ricebusinesswisdom.com. Follow the Jones School via Twitter @Rice_Biz. Follow Rice News and Media Relations via Twitter @RiceUNews.

The post Consortium welcomes Rice University as 19th member school appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Using your MBA in the business of sports [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 11:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Using your MBA in the business of sports
Nicole Kankam, 2005 MBA from New York University and Consortium fellow.

Nicole Kankam, a Consortium alumna who received her MBA from New York University in 2005, is the managing director for marketing at the USTA. She contributed this guest post for The Consortium.

I’m often asked if an MBA is required for a career in the sports industry and, more importantly, is it valued by the industry at all?

Many have questioned: What does an MBA education offer to an industry that is so different from the typical MBA career progression towards financial services or consulting? However, the business fundamentals acquired through an MBA education are exactly what the sports industry needs—now more than ever.

Technology is having a significant impact on sports, ranging from how fans view games, to how they connect with their favorite sports stars, to what they expect from a stadium experience. As a result, the business of sports is changing on a daily basis. How organizations monetize the core product—as well as new opportunities—requires an innovative approach.

Having leaders with honed strategic thinking skills, strong analytic competencies, and creative problem-solving abilities ensures that these organizations can adapt to the changing consumer landscape. Given the training that MBA students receive in these areas, they are primed to help the sports industry address these challenges.

Personally, I have found my MBA education to be an invaluable asset in my sports career.  I have been fortunate that the USTA saw value in my MBA education from the start, but it has helped that I have been able to prove it out over time.

The rigorous coursework I experienced at NYU Stern helped prepare me for the challenges of a demanding sports career. The marketing classes I completed provided a great foundation for me to bring a more thoughtful, strategic approach to marketing planning at the USTA.

Beyond the marketing classes, the finance training I received at NYU Stern helped strengthen my financial acumen to be a better partner with our finance team in business forecasting. In addition to the professional skills, an MBA program includes a focus on professional networking and leadership development that has served me well in advancing my career in sports.

An encouraging sign that the sports industry is recognizing the MBA’s value is reflected in the recent class of the Sports Business Journal’s 40 under 40, as a number of the honorees hold MBA degrees from leading institutions.

As the sports industry continues to evolve, I believe there will be even more examples and opportunities for MBAs to prove their value.

The post Using your MBA in the business of sports appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Consortium welcomes Rice University as 19th member school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 11:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Consortium welcomes Rice University as 19th member school
The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, for 51 years the leader in increasing the ranks of underrepresented minorities in business education and corporate leadership, has expanded its reach among the nation’s top MBA programs with the addition of Rice University’s Jones Graduate School of Business.

The Houston-based university, consistently ranked as a top-20 program, officially joins The Consortium on July 1, 2017, following approval on June 13 by The Consortium’s board of trustees and the signing of the university’s membership agreement on June 19.

“The partnership with Rice University in furthering our mission is an excellent opportunity for both of us,” said Peter J. Aranda III, The Consortium’s executive director and CEO. “We’re excited by the leadership commitment at the Jones Graduate School of Business to diversity and inclusion — and, in particular, we recognize the high priority Dean Peter Rodriguez places in this area.”

Rodriguez, the first Latino dean at Rice University, assumed the post less than a year ago and has consistently spoken of the importance of increasing diversity in the ranks of MBA schools and corporate leadership. Rodriguez was previously senior associate dean for degree programs and chief diversity officer at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business — another Consortium member school.

Below: Dean Peter Rodriguez speaks about his school’s commitment to diversity.

“Enrolling more underrepresented minorities and getting diverse talent is one of our key priorities for the school,” Rodriguez said. “Membership in the highly impactful Consortium will allow us to cultivate relationships with prospective students earlier and build connections with other universities.”

The addition of Rice marks the first expansion in The Consortium’s membership since 2013, when Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business joined. During Aranda’s nearly 14-year tenure as executive director, The Consortium has added five new schools to its membership — Yale University; Cornell University; the University of California, Los Angeles; Georgetown; and Rice. A sixth school, the University of California, Berkeley, returned in 2010 after withdrawing seven years earlier.

The Consortium works with its member schools and 75 corporate partners to increase the ranks of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in U.S. business schools and corporate leadership positions. The Consortium serves this mission by annually offering hundreds of merit-based, full-tuition fellowships to promising leaders, as well as membership in a global network of more than 9,000 diversity-minded alumni, member school representatives and corporate partners. This month, The Consortium welcomed nearly 480 new students into its program, joining an equally large class of rising second-year MBA students.

Those corporate partners — which include companies such as Google, General Mills, 3M, Johnson & Johnson and dozens more — gain early access to top-flight, diverse talent at The Consortium’s Orientation Program & Career Forum in early June each year. Coincidentally, The Consortium’s 2019 OP in two years will be staged in Rice University’s backyard in Houston, Texas.

The Consortium will begin recruiting prospective MBA students for Rice’s Jones Graduate School of Business this fall, with its first class of Consortium fellows graduating in the spring of 2020.

ABOUT THE CONSORTIUM: Founded in 1966, the vision of The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management is to increase the representation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in management careers in the United States. We realize this vision by recruiting outstanding students who have shown a commitment to diversity and connecting them with top-tier MBA programs and corporations. Learn more at cgsm.org; follow us on Facebook @cgsm.org; Twitter @cgsm_mba; and YouTube @TheCGSM. The Consortium, founded at the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis, now includes the University of California, Berkeley; the University of California, Los Angeles; Carnegie Mellon University; Cornell University; Dartmouth College; Emory University; Georgetown University; Indiana University-Bloomington; the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor; New York University; The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Rochester University; the University of Southern California; The University of Texas at Austin; the University of Virginia; the University of Wisconsin-Madison; Yale University; and on July 1, Rice University.

ABOUT RICE UNIVERSITY’S JONES GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS: Rice’s MBA programs, including the Rice MBA, Rice MBA for Executives and Rice MBA for Professionals, give students a comprehensive learning experience that mixes specialized coursework with real-world applications. The programs feature innovative classes, expert faculty and diverse classmates who become lifetime colleagues. Consistently recognized as a top-20 business school, the Jones School is internationally known for the research and thought leadership of its faculty. For more information on Rice MBA programs, visit http://business.rice.edu. For more information about and insights from Jones School faculty research, visit the school’s Rice Business Wisdom website, http://ricebusinesswisdom.com. Follow the Jones School via Twitter @Rice_Biz. Follow Rice News and Media Relations via Twitter @RiceUNews.

The post Consortium welcomes Rice University as 19th member school appeared first on The Consortium.

Manager
Manager

Alumna Tyler Converse on The Consortium’s experienced hire process [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 09:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Alumna Tyler Converse on The Consortium’s experienced hire process
It’s been about 50 days since Tyler Converse, a Consortium alumna from the University of Rochester, began her new job with CVS Health, a Consortium corporate partner. That job was the first to come about through The Consortium’s “experienced hire initiative,” which pairs more experienced members of the community with opportunities among our corporate partners who are seeking diverse talent for those roles.

The initiative continues to show momentum with two additional announcements: Northwestern Mutual has hired Vasco Bridges, a 2010 graduate of the Michigan Ross School of Business, who starts Monday as a director in the company’s principal distribution performance group. Meanwhile, Wells Fargo has also hired an experienced Consortium alum for mid-level positions.

Both companies and the candidates worked closely with Brian Wesley, our assistant vice president for talent engagement. You can read more about the experienced hire initiative and Brian here. Plus, here is the original story we published when Tyler got her position at CVS Health.

We wanted to share more about what Tyler told us when the opportunity came about and she had accepted the new position at CVS Health, where she started May 15 as an internal management consultant in the product innovation team. She provided these answers before she began her new position.

What role/job function did you leave for this new position?
I have been an independent management consultant since April 2016. During this time, I consulted on a wide variety of strategic initiatives and planning for a diverse client base comprised mostly of start-ups and small business owners. Prior to that I was in brand management. During my time as an associate at Wells Enterprises, I worked predominately on the Bomb Pop and Blue Ribbon Classics by Blue Bunny brands.

Why do you consider this career move so transformative?
I spent the first, pre-MBA, leg of my career in wealth management. Like many experienced professionals that make the decision to pursue a full-time MBA, I knew that I would be a career switcher, as I would not be returning to investment management in my post-MBA career. My goal career target was a strategy.

I completed a great MBA internship with the corporate strategy and business development group at Constellation Brands, Inc. Following that experience, I decided that before I made the full transition to a traditional strategy role, I wanted to take the non-traditional approach and pursue a post-MBA role in brand management in order to round out my experiential experience and gain a more in-depth understanding of product commercialization, consumer behavior/decision-making and their respective impacts on innovation, go-to-market and growth strategies.

Having had the opportunity to drive and influence strategy within my role at Wells, I very quickly realized, during my passive job search, that my experience was unique and unlikely to be replicated within brand management at another CPG company. The roles available with management consulting firms presented their own set of challenges and were just not a great fit. There just weren’t any suitable strategy roles on the market.

Some people are born with a predilection for entrepreneurship. I, myself, have never found it appealing, as I just want to do the work. But, after a few months of searching with no luck in finding the type of role I was looking for, I shifted my focus fully to continuing to build my client base.

I was quite literally plowing through my own startup checklist of legal prerequisites, when Brian (Wesley) brought this position to my attention. I was certain following my first interview that I was discussing a role that was ideally suited for me. By the time the offer was made, I knew that this was my dream role and that the team that I would be joining was comprised of a phenomenal group of people.

Even with all of the aforementioned taken into account, there is still something that stands behind the reason why I feel that this career move is so transformative. There are two, non-negotiable, prerequisites in satisfying my definition of professional success: The first is being of service and value to the organization that I work for. The second is that this work effect positive change beyond simply increasing profit-margins.

CVS Health has consistently kept to their mission of helping people on their path to better health, by their implementation of services and continued efforts to promote innovation, efficiencies and improvements in their current offerings. And, like me, they are community, customer and service-centric.  I’d say that is a great match!

In what ways was The Consortium/Brian helpful in pairing you with this opportunity?
When you consider the high opportunity cost — both tangible and intangible — of attending business school full-time and completing an MBA, it should come as no surprise that following that sacrifice, most of us refuse to settle for anything less than our target career goals. I am no exception.

I was very open about my career objectives with Brian, while not having necessarily gone into detail about my motivations. He’d placed me in the “picky” candidate category. We are all very fortunate that Brian is very good at reading between the lines.

Brian was helpful in all ways in pairing me with this opportunity. Given all of the CGSM corporate partnerships and the plethora of opportunities available for consideration by alums, this was the only position where he made it his personal mission to bring to my attention. He believed that it was a great match and he was absolutely correct!

Is there anything else you think is important to convey?
If I have not done so already, I would like to highlight the invaluable relationship that The Consortium continues to maintain with its alum and their post-MBA professional development.

Read more about The Consortium’s experienced hire initiativefor our alumni, and how to get in touch with Brian to learn more and participate.

The post Alumna Tyler Converse on The Consortium’s experienced hire process appeared first on The Consortium.

Alumna Tyler Converse on The Consortium’s experienced hire process   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2017, 09:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   [ 1360 posts ]