GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 09:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 14:50
I applied for Discover Stern as well. I'm planning to get my Consortium app in R1 so I would have loved if the event took place before the deadline, but oh well.
Manager
Manager
What does The Consortium shield and logo mean?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 06:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: What does The Consortium shield and logo mean?
One of the key images representing The Consortium, which you can see in the photo at the top of this post, isn’t one you see very often. It is The Consortium’s shield, and it differs slightly from The Consortium’s logo, which you see to the left in the body of this post.

The shield is proudly displayed over the front doors of The Consortium’s headquarters in Chesterfield, Mo.

Consortium CEO Peter Aranda told us he started working on creating a new visual identity for The Consortium shortly after his arrival in 2003. He wasn’t fond of the old logo, a stylized “shooting star” he thought looked more like a “falling star.”

In the shield, he wanted something that expressed permanence and history.

“I wanted to design something that was more enduring,” Peter said. “I felt like we have a lot in common with universities, which have shields.”

He wanted something that acknowledged the various component parts of The Consortium — students, alumni, corporate partners and member schools. The elements of the shield include:

• The Latin text for “Unity, Scholarship, Diversity, Inclusion,” which embody The Consortium’s mission.
  • The founding year of The Consortium, 1966.
  • Three stars representing the founding member schools, which had the vision to jump into this work 50 years ago: Washington University in St. Louis; Indiana University-Bloomington; and the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
  • The green “book of knowledge,” spread open.
  • The eternal flame, which includes four “tongues” that we interpret to represent the schools, companies, students and alumni.
In contrast to the official shield, a stylized version serves as The Consortium’s everyday logo, which you find on business cards, our website, our printed materials and our letterhead. Eagle Club members (mostly alumni who donate $15,000 to the organization) also get an embroidered version of the shield to wear with their business attire.

Peter notes that the circle in the logo represents The Consortium staff.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Bi-coastal busy: Whitnie Low’s MBA challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 07:01
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Bi-coastal busy: Whitnie Low’s MBA challenge
In a few days, Consortium fellow Whitnie Low starts the second year of her MBA education. Like all MBA students, she’ll be busy. But Low’s brand of busy involves a full-time MBA program and a new full-time job that’s meant to shake up the way venture capital firms support their startup entrepreneurs.

Oh, and we should mention: The job is on one side of the country. Her MBA classes are on the other.

“It’s doable,” Low told us, nonplussed by the grueling schedule ahead of her.

A former dancer who started a troupe in undergraduate school at Boston College, she was asked to model some new spirit-wear at UNC. Folks at the home of the Tarheels call it “targyle.” (via her Twitter page @whitnielow)

Low is a second-year MBA student at the University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School. Meanwhile, in May, Low started working full-time as an advisor manager at First Round Capital, an early-stage venture capital firm in San Francisco, after an internship at the firm that started in January.

She plans to fly to North Carolina every three weeks for an intensive weekend of full-time classes that runs Friday through Sunday. Back in San Francisco, she’s been entrusted to work on a major project for the firm that focuses on improving the way early stage entrepreneurs get startup counseling from corporate advisors.

She launched the initiative with a post on Medium entitled, “Startup Advising Is Broken — Here’s What We’re Doing to Fix It.”

“A vast majority of startups have five to 10 general advisors who take equity and end up as nothing more than names on a slide deck,” Low wrote. “No one knows what fair economics look like. And it’s not any better for advisors. We often hear that ‘It’s too hard to find the right entrepreneurs to work with,’ or ‘It’s too much of a time commitment.'”

Working with the partners at First Capital, Low is implementing a solution called STAR — “Short-Term Advisory Relationships” — designed to spell out very specific, 90-day engagements with standardized, measurable, performance-based expectations.

For example, a startup entrepreneur working on the next big thing in wireless routers may need help testing whether the product will pass a security audit. Low and her colleagues develop a slate of experts, the entrepreneur reviews them and selects the best fit. Meanwhile, Low helps draft the specific expectations and timeframe, then follows up to gauge whether the engagement was effective.

“My role is to execute on the initiative, to figure out what’s working and what’s not,” she said. “I do a lot of data collection; every time a founder and expert talk to each other, I send out a 45-second survey. I’m doing a lot of qualitative analysis to see what works.”

The job is something of a departure from what Low thought she’d be doing when she took off for her OP experience in Austin last summer. She thought she was destined for a large, consumer packaged goods firm, working on products focused on sustainability. Interviewing with those sorts of companies at OP persuaded her otherwise.

“Going to OP really solidified my understanding of what I wanted to do and who I really am,” she said. She found that a small company, focused on technology and closer to home was more where her heart lay. That revelation led her to lean on her skills as a former recruiter to craft her own “career trek,” whittling down a list of 100 possible firms to 10 that granted her interviews. She landed at First Capital.

Still, she’s steeped in a world of entrepreneurs who have launched businesses in garages and dorm rooms, without the benefit of an MBA. Even if some of those business owners don’t appreciate the extra education, she’s undeterred.

“Even if I work full-time,” Low said, “I’m going to finish my MBA.”
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
An alternative perspective on the Amazon story?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 07:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: An alternative perspective on the Amazon story?
Plus: A Michigan Ross dean writes in the Financial Times about the higher expectations students are placing on business schools.

Meanwhile, Jennifer Chatman from UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business has a point of view about the hubbub over The New York Times’ expose that might surprise some readers.
Manager
Manager
Marcos Cunha: Business travel leads to his startup  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 08:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Marcos Cunha: Business travel leads to his startup
Fresh off receiving his MBA in 2010, Marcus Cunha had an exciting job for Goldman Sachs, complete with international travel from his base in Miami. Soon after he started getting his passport stamped pretty regularly, he got sticker-shock from the roaming charges he paid overseas.

“I was blown away,” said Cunha, who received his MBA from Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business. “And I was paying those bills myself, too.”

He tried other solutions — Skype, for example. But he found it tedious and unreliable. The service itself, he said, worked fine. But he couldn’t rely on contacts taking his calls when they displayed an unfamiliar “Skype number” on the phone. And retrieving voicemail messages ended up being a four-step process: Find a Wi-Fi zone; use Skype to call his own cell number and push # to get the voicemail prompt; listen to his voice mail messages; call people back.

Even that only worked for people who bothered to leave a message.

“I scoured the Internet and tried to come up with a solution,” Cunha said. That was about two years ago. The problem was compounded by the fact that he worked from his home “and I had absolutely no cellphone reception in my house. How could you not be able to make phone calls using your own phone?”

Eventually, Cunha decided he’d have to invent the solution he was looking for.

The result is YouRoam.com, a smartphone app that lets users receive and place calls from their cellphone number using Wi-Fi or cellular data. An overseas traveler with an international data plan can bypass roaming charges — ranging from 20 cents to $3 a minute — for a fraction of the cost. A homebound caller with lousy cell coverage can make Wi-Fi calls. Recipients see the caller’s actual cellphone number in their caller ID.

Since launching the service about a year ago, Cunha’s company has grown to 13 employees and just passed 250,000 registered users in 185 countries — all with about $10,000 in marketing. He bootstrapped the company until February, when a single investor — Telcom Ventures — added a small investment. Now based in Austin, Cunha continues to try and find investors for the company.

“It’s never easy,” he said. He also perceives a difference in what investors are looking for in the center of the country, versus the coasts: “Silicon Valley is all about growth and showing excitement about the product. Other parts of the country are very revenue driven. We’ve been focused on growth.”

Cunha’s business model has relied on a penny-per-minute charge for the service (free for app-to-app customers). He’s transitioning that to a monthly tiered flat-rate plan, ranging from the free option to $25 for power users.

Cunha knew he wanted to build his own company when he attended OP in 2008 in Charlotte. His memories of OP included the terror of speaking in front of 500 people for the first time, but also the opportunities laid out before him.

“I had accepted an internship before most others (at Kelley) had even interviewed,” he said. “It let me focus on networking and getting involved in studying. I had a real nice MBA experience without stressing about whether I’d have a job getting out of school.”

That internship with Goldman Sachs turned into a full-time job after graduation. He left to work full-time on YouRoam.com. His advice to others with similar startup ambitions? Start sooner rather than later — even before leaving school.

“They have access to a lot of tremendously smart people — even while they’re working on their MBA,” he said. “It’s always harder once you have a mortgage and kids and private school tuition.”

Still, he loves it: “It is the most rewarding, yet all encompassing, stressful and difficult type of job you could get.”
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Corporate Finance (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 11:49
Has anyone been invited to Ross Up Close or Stern Diversity Weekend already?
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 17:45
JRAppz wrote:
Has anyone been invited to Ross Up Close or Stern Diversity Weekend already?

Applied to Stern Diversity Weekend, haven't heard anything yet.
Manager
Manager
Consortium alumna could have predicted the Deflategate decision  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 11:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Consortium alumna could have predicted the Deflategate decision
Jaimie McFarlin wasn’t surprised by a federal judge’s decision today to overturn the four-game suspension levied against New England Patriot’s quarterback Tom Brady in the so-called Deflategate scandal following the 2015 Super Bowl.

In fact, McFarlin called it months ago. The 2010 MBA graduate of Washington University in St. Louis, and her co-author, reached the conclusion as part of a 39-page paperdue to be published in February in the Jeffrey S. Moorad Sports Law Journal from the Villanova University School of Law.

“We correctly predicted that the (NFL) commissioner (Roger Goodell) had overstepped his bounds,” McFarlin told The Consortium today. “We wrote this paper a year ago, during the last NFL season. Then Deflategate happened and we had to revise it.”

McFarlin, herself a former professional basketball player, and writing partner Joshua S.E. Lee, both 2015 Harvard Law School graduates, titled their paper “Sports Scandals from the Top-Down: Comparative Analysis of Management, Owner, and Athlete Discipline in the NFL & NBA.”

It focuses on disciplinary issues in the NFL and NBA, including the forced sale of the Los Angeles Clippers, the Ray Rice allegations of spousal abuse and Brady’s alleged involvement in the under-inflated footballs found during the Super Bowl.

“It’s about the evolution of public perceptions of players, including in social media, and how it impacts in how the commissioner uses his power,” said McFarlin, who attended OP in 2008 in Dallas. “That to me is new and fresh, it’s ever changing. The powers that the commissioner has are constantly evolving. When the punishment is handed down, you’re looking at a ‘case’ through an arbitrary exercise of power.”

Basically, the paper’s conclusion is that when professional sports leagues impose discipline on their employees — the athletes — they tend to behave well outside the bounds of traditional employer-employee discipline.

One difference, the writers explain, between a “traditional” workplace and professional sports is a notion they call a “franchise monopoly, with highly skilled workers.” It’s as though McDonald’s is the only fast-food restaurant and its workers are world-class experts in making Big Macs. If they’re unhappy with their working conditions, they have no recourse. There’s no where else to take those Big Mac skills.

Coupled with the intense publicity surrounding athletes, the “labor force” in the NBA and the NFL faces unfair scrutiny and sometimes arbitrary discipline under the guise of “the best interest of the game.”

In an email to McFarlin and Lee, Villanova’s editorial board said the paper “has a very unique take on the conduct issue in professional sports.” The authors were also honored with Harvard Law School’s Weiler Awards, presented at the Committee on Sports and Entertainment Law’s 2015 Symposium, for their paper.

It’s not the first time she’s put her legal education to work as a published author. She co-led a team of writers that produced a legal white paper on the subject of concussions in the NFL, and the league’s duty to its players. Another paper addresses the differences in how amateur athletes in Europe are treated in comparison to college athletes in the United States.

McFarlin was a star hoops player at WashU. After earning her MBA, she went on to play professional basketball in Denmark for the Værløse Basketball Klub. She decided to enter law school with the aim of combining her passion for business and sports.

“I was really interested in the business side of sports. I knew in terms of my legal career that I’d have to deal with sports in some aspect,” she said. “In terms of The Consortium, understanding how sports works as a business, I think that will be my leg up at the beginning of my career — to integrate what I learned in business school as part of my practice.”

Pictured above: Jaimie McFarlin receiving her Weiler Award in March from Harvard’s Law and Sports Law Clinic Director Peter Carfagna.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 19:43
Hi everyone. How are you handling the redundancy in all of the essays? Are you just answering the goals essays for the individual schools as if you didn't just tell them in the Consortium goals essay?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q168 V165
GPA: 3.08
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 15:06
Does anybody know what the recommendation questions are for the Consortium application?
Manager
Manager
In most MBA programs, the diversity trend is down  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 08:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: In most MBA programs, the diversity trend is down
Several weeks ago, I outlined the urgency demanded of U.S. corporations to respond to demographic trends. Those trends show a precipitous decline in the number of Caucasians as a percentage of the total U.S. population from 1960 to 2015, and substantial growth among “underrepresented minorities” — African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans.

The urgency is required because U.S. markets are clearly changing. Companies will fail if they are not positioned to develop and sell products and services that serve an increasingly diverse market. Caucasian Americans will comprise less than half the U.S. population by the year 2043 — down from 80 percent in 1960 and 62 percent today.

But as we’ll see, if recent trends among the nation’s top MBA programs is any indication, the pipeline for diverse leadership talent isn’t prepared to serve U.S. corporations well.

Using data I’ve collected through my role as CEO of The Consortium, I’ve compared the enrollment in 2003 and 2010 at the top 50 MBA programs around the nation in two categories: total enrollment and enrollment among “URMs” — underrepresented minorities.

The good news? Enrollment among underrepresented minorities bucked the overall enrollment trend from 2003 to 2010. Across the board, total enrollment dropped nearly 6.8 percent, while URM enrollment grew a marginal 2.6 percent.

Among the 50 top MBA programs in the United States, The Consortium represents 18 of them. At those schools, the news is even better.

Total MBA enrollment at Consortium-affiliated schools fell, yes, but, only 3.9 percent — a little more than half the rate overall rate. Non-Consortium-affiliated programs saw their total MBA enrollment drop 7.7 percent from 2003 to 2010.

And how about enrollment among underrepresented minorities? Between 2003 and 2010, Consortium-affiliated MBA programs saw enrollment grow nearly 30 percent, compared to a decline of about 8.3 percent at non-Consortium-affiliated programs. In 2010, schools affiliated with The Consortium outpaced non-member schools by 37 percent in terms of URM enrollment.

While this is good news for the work we’re doing at The Consortium, and suggests we have our eye on the ball, it’s worth pointing out that in 2010, URM enrollment represented only 11.7 percent of total MBA enrollment. The work of The Consortium — our member schools, corporate partners and alumni — contributed 4.23 percent to that total.

Also see these articles:
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 08:52
Anyone else going to Columbia's Diversity Matters event tomorrow? Curious what the dress will be. I've been sticking with business casual for every event I've attended thus far but I'm not sure if this will somehow be less formal since it's on a weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 12:36
Hello Everyone!

I anyone here going to MAPS in Chicago on Wednesday? I would like to meet some of you fellow applicants.

I am looking at Tuck, Kelley, Tepper, UW-Madison and Haas.

Also, do any of you what they will ask the recommenders? Is it just a general recommendation letter or they have specific questions or prompts.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 15:43
nachobioteck wrote:
Also, do any of you what they will ask the recommenders? Is it just a general recommendation letter or they have specific questions or prompts.

Thanks!

From talking to friends who previously applied via Consortium, it's my impression that there are specific questions/prompts.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 16:16
I'm sure these have been discussed before, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer:

1) I want to take advantage of the Consortium in order to apply to multiple schools at a discounted rate ($299/6 schools). Does applying through the Consortium negatively impact my admissions decision? For example, are schools only allowed to accept a certain number of Consortium vs general applicants?

2) If I am not accepted as a member of Consortium, would I still have the same chances of acceptance into the schools I applied?

3) are schools aware of the ranking required by Consortium?

4) do schools see the letter of rec that is for the Consortium, or just the two professional letters?

Thanks so much! Appreciate the insight.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 16:21
ohnonomiss wrote:
I'm sure these have been discussed before, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer:

1) I want to take advantage of the Consortium in order to apply to multiple schools at a discounted rate ($299/6 schools). Does applying through the Consortium negatively impact my admissions decision? For example, are schools only allowed to accept a certain number of Consortium vs general applicants?

2) If I am not accepted as a member of Consortium, would I still have the same chances of acceptance into the schools I applied?

3) are schools aware of the ranking required by Consortium?

4) do schools see the letter of rec that is for the Consortium, or just the two professional letters?

Thanks so much! Appreciate the insight.

Hopefully someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but based on my research:

1) No. Evaluation for admission to the school and evaluation for the Consortium are sort of separate. When you apply through the Consortium the school will first make its own decision as to whether or not to admit you. The decision regarding your Consortium fellowship is made later on in the process (March).

2) I think it IS possible to be accepted to a school but not accepted to the Consortium. Not sure though.

3) Yes. During the March meeting where Consortium fellowship amounts are determined schools will know how highly you ranked them and that will affect how much you get and from which school: http://poetsandquants.com/2011/04/20/in ... mba-draft/

4) Just the two professional ones.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 19:24
The question I have is wether they will see the ranking during the admission decision... Or do they only find out in March?
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 13:35
nachobioteck wrote:
The question I have is wether they will see the ranking during the admission decision... Or do they only find out in March?

It is possible to be admitted to school and not to be admitted to Consortium. The schools do see the way you ranked them when they evaluate your application.
Manager
Manager
Magazine recognizes Michigan Ross for its commitment to diversity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 08:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Magazine recognizes Michigan Ross for its commitment to diversity
The Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan was the only business school among 92 recipients of INSIGHT into Diversity’s 2015 “Higher Education Excellence in Diversity” awards. The awards are formally announced in the magazine’s November edition, but the recognized schools are posted online and Michigan Ross shared the news on its blog on Tuesday.

The school said it received the award “in recognition of the school’s efforts to ensure diversity and inclusion are infused in all of the school’s activities.”

The magazine says the HEED award — given annually to colleges and universities — “measures an institution’s level of achievement and intensity of commitment in regard to broadening diversity and inclusion on campus.”

Several Consortium-affiliated universities also received HEED recognition for 2015, including Cornell University; Indiana University-Bloomington; the University of California, Los Angeles; The University of Texas at Austin; and the University of Virginia. Michigan Ross was the only business school specifically cited.

In its blog post, the school kindly recognizes its involvement with The Consortium among many initiatives it conducts to encourage diversity on campus. INSIGHT into Diversity‘s November edition is expected to be online by Oct. 15; the print edition should be out around Oct. 22.

Congratulations, Michigan!

PICTURED ABOVE: Members of the Michigan Ross class of 2017 receiving The Consortium’s T.E.A.M. trophy at the Orientation Program & Career Forum in Phoenix in June 2015. The award recognizes a Consortium school that has fostered participation among its students and the community at large. The winning school is selected based on its participation in the areas of fundraising, community building, and fulfillment of the Consortium student liaison’s duties.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 18:25
Got the invite to Discover Stern today. Anyone else going?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2015, 18:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap