GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 10:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 10:05
SilverBull wrote:
FYI for those interested in Cornell: I have found out that your application will be considered as part of their R1 process, you will received an interview, waitlist, or deny by 12/15 and admissions are conducted on a rolling basis from then on.

So did you make DivCo? I wonder if we met?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.18
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Reviews Badge
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 11:11
119maple wrote:
SilverBull wrote:
FYI for those interested in Cornell: I have found out that your application will be considered as part of their R1 process, you will received an interview, waitlist, or deny by 12/15 and admissions are conducted on a rolling basis from then on.

So did you make DivCo? I wonder if we met?

Maybe we did, maybe we didn't ;)
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 16:52
MBAgal2018 wrote:
I was recently looking on the Consortium website and saw that there were a number of non minorities receiving the fellowships. At the end of the day, I thought the purpose of the fellowship was to increase actual minorities in the business school ranks. I understand that there may be non minorities working towards that goal but the fellowship should be just for minorities. As a black women it does seem like a slap in the face that non minorities are taking fellowships away from actual minorities.

I heard that the fellowship used to be for minorities only, but due to a non-discrimination policy, the fellowship became open to all backgrounds proving that the person was committed to the mission
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 17:09
teesmartgirl wrote:
MBAgal2018 wrote:
I was recently looking on the Consortium website and saw that there were a number of non minorities receiving the fellowships. At the end of the day, I thought the purpose of the fellowship was to increase actual minorities in the business school ranks. I understand that there may be non minorities working towards that goal but the fellowship should be just for minorities. As a black women it does seem like a slap in the face that non minorities are taking fellowships away from actual minorities.

I heard that the fellowship used to be for minorities only, but due to a non-discrimination policy, the fellowship became open to all backgrounds proving that the person was committed to the mission

I know of non-minorities (black, hispanic) who have been awarded the fellowship based on their commitment to the mission of the Consortium. So in that sense, they could fall into the Consortium bucket.
Manager
Manager
How common are race disparities in higher ed? The Nov. 13 reading list  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 15:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: How common are race disparities in higher ed? The Nov. 13 reading list
What must Mizzou do now? How common are race disparities in higher ed? Does teaching about bias actually hurt? Plus: Should you aspire to Steve Jobs management style? A startup idea conceived in the shower. And another opinion about second opinions.

[View the story “How common are race disparities in higher ed? The Nov. 13 reading list” on Storify]

Photo: The famed pillars in the University of Missouri-Columbia campus quad. Photo by Tim Tai via Flickr under Creative Commons license.

The post How common are race disparities in higher ed? The Nov. 13 reading list appeared first on The Consortium.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 12:11
I just read and responded to post on the Tuck board. One of the DivCo attendees felt that the current black students were "bougie." Did anyone else feel that way? I had a a great time so I didn't feel that way at all but maybe that's just my personality.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 11:50
Finally got the application received notification from Stern. I honestly feel like applying via Consortium has made this process more painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 12:22
Does anyone know whether your application complete/submitted date at a school being weeks behind the school's stated Consortium deadline will get your application pushed to Round 2 Consortium consideration?

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 12:51
AnthonyMason wrote:
Does anyone know whether your application complete/submitted date at a school being weeks behind the school's stated Consortium deadline will get your application pushed to Round 2 Consortium consideration?

As far as I've heard, if you submitted your application by the Consortium R1 deadline, all schools (except UCLA) will include you with the R1 pool, regardless of when the Consortium forwards your application. I think there can be delays if you were missing information, but for the most part, that's not the norm.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.79

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 14:02
The Ross interview invite email listed Feb. 28, 2016 as the enrollment decision deadline for Round 1.

Did anybody else receive this email?

The regular application decision deadline is Dec. 18.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 14:07
CircusNerd wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:

As far as I've heard, if you submitted your application by the Consortium R1 deadline, all schools (except UCLA) will include you with the R1 pool, regardless of when the Consortium forwards your application. I think there can be delays if you were missing information, but for the most part, that's not the norm.

Thanks!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2015, 19:14
Marshall invite today.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 12:08
Just got my NYU Stern Invite! Sent my application to Consortium on 10/15, with a create application account on 11/17.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 18:36
Emory invite!
Manager
Manager
Thanks, Consortium alumni! You refer the most prospects to us  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 08:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Thanks, Consortium alumni! You refer the most prospects to us
An analysis of more than 3,000 Consortium applications spanning four application seasons offers both good news and some so-so news.

On the positive side, Consortium alumni funnel more prospects to us than any other category. More than 30 percent of prospects said they heard about The Consortium from an alumnus. That suggests our expanding membership community is proud, grateful and motivated to spread the word about their experience to the next generation.

Click the image to view a larger version of this pie chart. (Source: Review of 3,070 applications between Aug. 15, 2012, and Nov. 1, 2015)

In fact, The Consortium gets nearly two-thirds of its applications thanks to referrals from Consortium alumni and “friends and family”—the two largest categories among our referral sources.

This suggests to us that prospects are also hearing about The Consortium from friends who have become members or from family members helping to identify resources for a prospect’s MBA experience.

The data come from 3,070 applications in which applicants noted how they heard about us. It covers the application seasons 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 (through Nov. 1). We looked at only primary referral sources. That is, applicants could indicate multiple sources from which they heard about The Consortium; our chart indicates only the first source the applicant named.

Our review also shows other outreach methods aren’t generating the same level of response. For example, our 18 member schools are responsible for about 16 percent of the referrals we received over the same period.

Combined, five other sources of applicants totaled less than alumni alone. Those five sources accounted for about 24 percent of our prospects. They include Internet/websites; advertising; Consortium contacts; organizations or conferences; and school receptions.

Do you know someone who would make a great Consortium member? Does he or she show a demonstrated commitment to The Consortium’s mission? You can visit our referral page and submit information about that person so we can follow up.

Here are the raw numbers behind the chart, showing how often each source was named as a primary referral source between Aug. 15, 2012, and Nov. 1, 2015:

School Reception

Consortium Contact

Advertisement

Organization or conference

Internet/Website

Member School

Friend or Family

Alumni

The post Thanks, Consortium alumni! You refer the most prospects to us appeared first on The Consortium.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 22:27
Having had a ton of time to think things over, I'm starting to feel like the school that I ranked 3rd (and last) on my Consortium list should have been 2nd, and maybe even 1st.

In other news, is anyone else from Consortium R1 still waiting on Yale? Should I just assume a ding at this point?
Manager
Manager
Another Ivy League school investing in diversity: Reading list for wee  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2015, 09:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Another Ivy League school investing in diversity: Reading list for week ending Nov. 21
Brown announces a $100 million investment to promote diversity, following Yale University’s recent announcement to spend $50 million; Starbucks breaks ground on a new type of store in Ferguson, Mo.; two pieces on the value of an MBA; and more.

[View the story “Another Ivy League school investing in diversity: Reading list for week ending Nov. 21” on Storify]

Photo: Brown University’s Robinson Hall in 2009. Via Wikimedia under Creative Commons license by chensiyuan.

The post Another Ivy League school investing in diversity: Reading list for week ending Nov. 21 appeared first on The Consortium.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.18
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2015, 09:25
Has anyone gotten an invite from Cornell?
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 08:01
AnthonyMason wrote:
Having had a ton of time to think things over, I'm starting to feel like the school that I ranked 3rd (and last) on my Consortium list should have been 2nd, and maybe even 1st.

In other news, is anyone else from Consortium R1 still waiting on Yale? Should I just assume a ding at this point?

Hang in there!... I think everyone has those thoughts, at the end we will never know which one was the best choice since we won't ever attend two business schools to compare. We have to feel comfortable knowing that all of these schools are good choices!.
Manager
Manager
Look back: Sterling Schoen’s obituary from 1999  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 10:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Look back: Sterling Schoen’s obituary from 1999
Sterling Schoen’s obituary in the Washington University Record on Dec. 9, 1999.

Sterling Schoen died 16 years ago. This obituary originally ran in the Washington University Record on Dec. 9, 1999. It is reprinted here with permission.

Sterling H. Schoen, Ph.D., professor emeritus of management for the John M. Olin School of Business, died Saturday, Nov. 20, 1999, at Missouri Baptist Medical Center after suffering a heart attack. He was 81.

From 1950 until he retired in 1988, Schoen was a professor of management for the Graduate School of Business, named the Olin School in 1988. He taught courses in organizational behavior and labor relations, among others.

In the early 1960s Schoen realized that business schools could take a more active and constructive role in promoting equal opportunity employment, and, toward that goal, he founded the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management in 1966. It offers full merit-based scholarships to minority students in MBA programs. Begun with three universities, Washington University included, the consortium has grown to include nine other major universities.

Funds for scholarships were raised by Schoen and many consortium board members from private corporations, foundations and resources of member schools. He directed the consortium until 1980, when he returned to full-time teaching. Since the organization’s founding, it has brought more than 3,000 minority men and women into the ranks of American business management.

Schoen was the co-author of several textbooks, and he served as a management consultant to companies such as Mallinckrodt and Monsanto Co., as well as the U.S. Civil Service Commission. He was named Man of the Year by the Association for the Integration of Management in 1976; he was recognized for Distinguished Service and Leadership by the consortium in 1991 and chosen as 1998 Teacher of the Year by the University’s MBA students.

Schoen, who lived in St. Louis, was born in Daggett, Mich., and reared in Des Peres, Wis. He earned a bachelor’s degree in economics (magna cum laude) from Lawrence College (now University) in Appleton, Wis.; a master’s degree in economics from the University of Wisconsin in Madison; and both a master’s of business administration degree in management (with distinction) and a doctoral degree in management from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and was active in many professional, honorary and social organizations. He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Patricia Schoen, two sons, Chris Schoen of Canton, Ohio, and Richard Schoen of Evanston, Ill; a daughter, Jennifer Jeffrey of Clayton; a sister, Norma Maxfield of Madison, Wis; and three grandchildren.

The post Look back: Sterling Schoen’s obituary from 1999 appeared first on The Consortium.
GMAT Club Bot
Look back: Sterling Schoen’s obituary from 1999   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2015, 10:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap