GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 09:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 09:35
ctvz09 wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody knows if chances are good to get a schollarship in R2?

I am a white Hispanic descendent, scored 730 on the GMAT and plan to apply to Darden, Yale, Berkeley, UCLA, Tuck and NYU.

As far as merit scholarships from the individual schools are concerned, most will say that applicants in both R1 and R2 have a similar chance.

For the Consortium Fellowship, I believe that you have the same chance as everyone else applying through the Consortium to those schools. It all goes back to the quality of your application - GMAT, GPA, work experience, interview, etc - and your efforts to promote the Consortium mission.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 13:28
ctvz09 wrote:
Hi,

I am a white Hispanic descendent, scored 730 on the GMAT and plan to apply to Darden, Yale, Berkeley, UCLA, Tuck and NYU.

How are you going to rank the schools? And don't worry about being "white" Hispanic, I have a half white/half Spanish (from Spain) friend who got a full Consortium fellowship to NYU.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 13:46
sudaca2015 wrote:
ctvz09 wrote:
Hi,

How are you going to rank the schools? And don't worry about being "white" Hispanic, I have a half white/half Spanish (from Spain) friend who got a full Consortium fellowship to NYU.

Thank you:

My rank is:

1-Yale
2-Darden
3-NYU
4-Haas
5-UCLA
6-Tuck

What about the mission recommender? It should be someone from a Non-Profit Org?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 15:41
If our resumes have changed significantly since we submitted the app, can we go back and change it? (I applied for round 2)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.48
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 22:05
Application submitted - best of luck to everyone! Fingers are crossed and my rankings is below:

1. NYU
2. Yale
3. UCLA
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 09:21
ctvz09 wrote:
sudaca2015 wrote:
ctvz09 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you:

My rank is:

1-Yale
2-Darden
3-NYU
4-Haas
5-UCLA
6-Tuck

What about the mission recommender? It should be someone from a Non-Profit Org?

Are you trolling? You are just now asking these questions?!?!?!?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 09:34
119maple Please let's keep the discussions civilized. There is nothing wrong with asking questions at any time, specially when they are relevant to the process. You can always decide to dismiss the questions, but please refrain from being hostile in the forum. There is space for everyone and everyone's questions.

Thanks.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 09:48
nachobioteck wrote:
119maple Please let's keep the discussions civilized. There is nothing wrong with asking questions at any time, specially when they are relevant to the process. You can always decide to dismiss the questions, but please refrain from being hostile in the forum. There is space for everyone and everyone's questions.

Thanks.

That is not hostility but simply calling people out for trolling and seeking attention. If it is 12/29/15 and an applicant is asking about who should write a LOR for a deadline of 1/5/16 then how serious of an candidate can one be. We can agree to disagree. Enjoy your day.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 12:08
Does anyone have any insight into replacing a submitted file or resume?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 12:42
nicholasbentham wrote:
Does anyone have any insight into replacing a submitted file or resume?

After the submission, it may be better to wait until the schools you have applied to have given receipt of your application. You can then contact the individual schools and let them know that you have an updated resume or file to replace what they received. I did this for one of my transcripts and there was no issue.
Manager
Manager
USTA-Consortium partnership: Making tennis look like America  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 09:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: USTA-Consortium partnership: Making tennis look like America
In its last study of tennis participation in 2014, the U.S. Tennis Association reported about 30 percent of players were underrepresented minorities. Among “frequent players,” the number rose to 32 percent, according to D.A. Abrams, chief diversity and inclusion officer for the USTA, one of The Consortium’s newest corporate partners.

One person among that 32 percent had the tennis world buzzing in September at the USTA’s signature event, the U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.: Would Serena Williams clinch the calendar-year Grand Slam after taking the title at the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon?

Alas, the answer was no. She lost in the semifinals to unseeded Italian player Roberta Vinci.

Still, USTA President Katrina Adams credits players like Serena Williams and her sister Venus with boosting player participation among African Americas. Both she and Abrams say the organization has more work to do “to make tennis look like America,” as Abrams describes his job.

Diversity a priority, particularly among Hispanic Americans
Nicole Kankam, Consortium alumna from the New York University MBA class of 2005. She’s the managing director of marketing for the USTA, and spoke about the USTA partnership with The Consortium.

Since ascending to the nonprofit’s presidency a year ago as the first African American and first professional tennis player to hold the post, Adams has said diversity in general, and specifically among Hispanic Americans, is one of her top priorities.

“I think it’s a group of people that we really haven’t embraced fully with the sport,” Adams told the Tennis Channel in September, during the U.S. Open. “We’ve done an amazing job in diverse areas with the African American community, as you can obviously see looking at the quarter-finals today.”

In his role as chief diversity officer, Abrams can put his hands on detailed reports tracking minority representation in four categories: players; suppliers; national staff (which includes the staff at USTA’s 17 regions); and volunteers, which include board members such as Adams.

USTA President Katrina Adams speaking with the Tennis Channel during the 2015 U.S. Open.

The benchmark, Abrams said, is the 37 to 38 percent of the U.S. population comprised of underrepresented minorities. Progress is good among players, and moving in the right direction, he said. With about 12 percent of supplier expenses going to URM firms, he said the USTA is close to its internal goals.

How the USTA partnership with The Consortium helps
But growing the numbers among staff and volunteers at the USTA is an area of opportunity. “And that’s where The Consortium partnership comes into play,” Abrams said. The USTA is a contributor to The Consortium’s annual fund, effective in 2016. He said the organization particularly hopes to draw interest from CGSM alumni, who would be great volunteer participants on its many advisory panels and boards.

The USTA partnership particularly pleased one Consortium alumna.

“I’m thrilled by that,” said Nicole Kankam, managing director of marketing for the USTA, whose chief responsibility is promoting the U.S. Open. Kankam is a Consortium fellow who received her MBA from New York University in 2005.

She noted that her team’s marketing efforts increased the share of African American tournament visitors from 11 percent in 2014 to 23 percent in September. The push to increase diversity among the audience, players, suppliers and volunteers has been underway for at least 10 years, she said. It’s particularly important as the U.S. Open finishes the roof over its center court stadium and prepares to open a third stadium.

Those, along with several other changes at the U.S. Open, are expected to draw an additional 100,000 fans on top of the 700,000 the tournament typically draws.

“The senior leadership recognized that the U.S. Open can’t just focus on our core audience base, particularly if we want to grow the mission and the U.S. Open,” she said. Abrams, her USTA colleague, echoed the message.

“In order for us to grow as a sport and an organization, we really have to intentionally target and engage diverse talent across the board—players, suppliers,” he said. “We have to do it because white America remains our sweet spot, but that’s getting smaller.”

The post USTA-Consortium partnership: Making tennis look like America appeared first on The Consortium.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 12:38
Application submitted! Best luck to y'all!...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 01:49
My recommenders have yet to submit their recommendations, although I originally told both of them way in advance. I sent them both reminder emails and originally notified them back in September. What to do?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 06:43
Submitted R2

1.UNC
2.UVA
3.Tuck
4.Cornell
5.Michigan
6.Georgetown

I tried to be strategic about my ranking. Anyone have an idea which schools are the most sensitive to the ranking?
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 06:52
teesmartgirl wrote:
My recommenders have yet to submit their recommendations, although I originally told both of them way in advance. I sent them both reminder emails and originally notified them back in September. What to do?

I would get on them ASAP to do so, call them directly if need be. My last recommender submitted yesterday and I had to pester him a little to do so. Schools wont review your application until they submit them.
Manager
Manager
#CGSMLivingTheMission: Stories about serving the Consortium cause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 07:00
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: #CGSMLivingTheMission: Stories about serving the Consortium cause
Today, we launch a yearlong campaign to highlight Consortium alumni and current students who are “living the mission” of The Consortium through their activities, campaigns and personal contributions. We’ll post and share those on social media using the hashtag #CGSMLivingTheMission—and we encourage you to do the same.

These stories should also serve as examples for Consortium prospects, furthering their understanding of what we’re seeking in our members.

The “Black Lives Matter vs. All Lives Matter: What’s the Big Deal?” panel discussion at Darden UVA. #CGSMLivingTheMission

Examples aren’t tough to find, particularly from Consortium members attending member schools right now. They range from CGSM volunteers teaching career and financial principles to elementary school students; to a panel discussion about the “Black Lives Matter” movement; to service on the board for a community nonprofit; to fundraising campaigns for community organizations.

And while we’re calling it a yearlong campaign (it is, after all, our Golden Anniversary year), we’ll likely continue beyond 2016. It’s important to recognize the work in the community that supports the Consortium mission to “enhance diversity in business education and leadership.”

Do you have an example of how you or a Consortium colleague is “living the mission”? This message is for alumni, current students, school representatives and corporate partners: We want to see your examples. Please send text, photos or videos to communications@cgsm.org or use the hashtag #CGSMLivingTheMission when you share on Twitter or Instagram.

Cultural and Historical Programming
The CGSM class at the Simon School of Business at the University of Rochester collaborated with the university’s chapter of the National Black MBA Association to host the school’s second annual Black History Month programming in February, featuring guest speakers, African drumming, spoken word poetry and a spiritual performance.

Meanwhile, at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business, Consortium students worked with collaborating organizations on a panel discussion entitled “Black Lives Matter vs. All Lives Matter: What’s the Big Deal?”

Flyer from the Black History Month programming presented at the University of Rochester. #CGSMLivingThe Mission

Chiefly organized by Consortium member Patricia Martin (Darden ’16), panelists included a Darden professor; a community organizer and Rhodes Scholar finalist; and the Charlottesville city manager. The panel took questions from a diverse audience consisting of first- and second-year students from all backgrounds, faculty, administration, and staff.

Tutoring and Mentoring
Consortium students from the School of Management at Yale University supported the Urban Improvement Corp undergraduate program. Led by undergraduates, UIC members tutor middle- and high-school students and interact directly with parents to ensure students and families are fully invested in the program. Consortium members serve as mentors and tutors to support the program.

And at the University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business, volunteers from the Consortium community participated in a Junior Achievement job shadow program designed to encourage diverse, local high school students to develop assertive career goals and consider higher education.

USC students from The Consortium who participated in a Junior Achievement tutoring program. #CGSMLivingTheMission

“USC Marshall MBA candidates invite students from two local high schools to USC Marshall case rooms to learn about USC and potential career paths,” said the school’s description of the program. “Marshall MBA Candidates share their professional experiences with the high school students and field inquiries intended to guide local students through the college institution and program of study selection process.”

Eyasu Jibitu

Simon’s Eyasu Jibitu (’17) spoke to the young men from a program called Leadership Academy (ninth through 12th grade) through UR BOLD (Building Outstanding Leadership & Distinction) about the importance of professionalism inside and outside of the classroom. “I shared some of my personal experiences and tried to help them understand how to be successful in school and in the workplace environment,” he said.

Diversity Week
Many of our member schools participate in or organize “diversity week” programming. At Darden, Consortium liaisons Ngozi Ofoche (‘16) and Alex Haddock (‘16) focused on spreading awareness of The Consortium as well as other diversity issues that affect the Darden community and the corporate world.

Tim Brookins (Darden CGSM ’17) on the “Education Inequality and the STEM Pipeline” panel at UVA. #CGSMLivingTheMission

The October event included programming by CGSM’s Tim Brookins (’17) on the “Education Inequality and the STEM Pipeline” panel with a representative from Hewlett-Packard (a CGSM partner) and an educator from the Richmond Public School system. Brookins addressed his experiences at a black student of engineering and his time working in the field before starting his MBA program.

Share Examples at #CGSMLivingTheMission
We want to hear more examples. Please tag us on social media and use the hashtag #CGSMLivingTheMission when you have examples of our community members “living the mission” of The Consortium.

The post #CGSMLivingTheMission: Stories about serving the Consortium cause appeared first on The Consortium.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 07:35
teesmartgirl wrote:

If it makes you feel any better I just realized one of my recommenders did not submit my Columbia recommendation so I just sent him a text to do it. Deadline is tonight.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 08:40
Good luck to all the R2'ers! Here comes the very relaxing time waiting for responses :-D
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 11:35
Thanks!... It's weird... I am relieved, because this stuff was taking so much out of me... but at the same time just kind of freaked out and feeling that I should be doing something. I even kind of regret interviewing early for some schools, now I really have to wait without hearing from them for a long time...

BTW... I just received the confirmation email for the consortium. How long did it take you to get the email saying that the application had been forwarded?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 12:27
nachobioteck wrote:
Thanks!... It's weird... I am relieved, because this stuff was taking so much out of me... but at the same time just kind of freaked out and feeling that I should be doing something. I even kind of regret interviewing early for some schools, now I really have to wait without hearing from them for a long time...

BTW... I just received the confirmation email for the consortium. How long did it take you to get the email saying that the application had been forwarded?

I know the feeling - hang in there! I still have the feeling, even after being admitted. I've turned to researching what I eventually want to do and where I want to work and live post-MBA. There are some great forums here that have insights, as well as other websites such as managementconsulted.com for hopeful future MCs :P

Looking back at my inbox, I got the submission email and a week later I received confirmation that the application was released to the member schools.
GMAT Club Bot
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2016, 12:27

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap